• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

sleeping outside

johnnyman

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2011 and 2013
Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I almost think I'd rather sleep outside, after getting a shower and washing clothes. How often is this possible, if at all?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
well, I have slept in a tent on the lawn or garden of albuergues...Not all have a garden or yard ...some have balconies and courtyards..but I would think it would be fine!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I am camping every night on my camino whether it be on refuge 'lawns', places recommended along the way (though not campsites) or simply wild camping. (Plenty of discussions about the pro's and con's of wild camping in these forums)

I will be geo tagging my locations and posting to my blog my experiences as i go. As far as i can tell this has not been done before (the recording and blogging anyway) so hopefully i will be able to share the wonders and pitfalls of "sleeping out" with anyone interested soon.

Have i good camino however you do it :)

Chris

Yes, totally possible, see other discussions on camping on this forum.

You haven't said what time of the year you are going though, there are certain seasons/locations(mountains)/weather conditions where it is not to be recommended! Maybe budget for the occasional night in?

@PilgrimChris What are you using to geotag? Does the Spot (http://www.findmespot.com/en/) work in Europe? I'm just interested because I've seen people try to use them in the US for cross-country scooter rallies and they've been hit or miss with ability and signals and whatnot.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@renegadepilgrim
I will be using a compatible data sim for my phone. (Threads on this subject are plentiful)
Then, if my phones built in automatic photo geotag software works, i will simply upload the photos from my phone to my blog. The photo will be automatically linked to my Flickr account where the location of my photos are shown on google maps. I am currently researching various widgets/gadgets to see if one can be incorporated into my blog that will show, via a pop-up, a map of the uploaded geotagged photo if it's clicked on.

If my phones auto tagging does not work for any reason (though i cannot see why it wouldn't) then Twitpics is another option. I have already linked my Twitter, Twitpics, Facebook, Flickr and Blog accounts so all i need to do is use Twitpics to upload my photos and they are automatically sent to all my other accounts mentioned :).
There are many ways to upload geotagged photos - and as the actual tagging is done within my phones software and not through a website it should work lol.

It does for other people, but i will find a workaround if for any reason it doesn't :)

Ivar is the person to ask!
Any advice for us on this Ivar? If so maybe you can make a new thread for us on the subject?

Chris

The technology that you plan to use to geotag your camino is great, however, it is very demanding on your mobile devices battery, if you are "wild camping" there are not very many trees with power points to charge your device, solar chargers are available but can be heavy.

@ffp13

Thanks for your comments.

However i have been using ultra lightweight solar chargers for over 4 years now on my wild camps. Over the years i have learnt to use any electronic devices i take sparingly :)

Wild camping is my prefered choice of sleeping. The rest of my camino will not be very dissimilar to those who choose other ways of sleeping. I will still be passing through the same places as anyone else and can charge my device is similar places as others.
If i do need a top up boost then it is not difficult to have a coffee somewhere and 'plug in'. I have found a polite request works wonders :)

The 'tree' reference was amusing however :-|

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@johnnyman

Sorry if my post has taken your thread off topic.
If anyone wants to discuss anything other than 'Sleeping Outside' (the original topic here) let us create a new thread for it :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Johnnyman,
If you are using the showers and laundry in albergues, and then pushing on to sleep outside, make sure to leave a donation for the Albergue. They operate on the kindness of pilgrims so generosity is very important.

All the comments are on point and serve to provide you solid and mostly first hand info.

I would add...why are you considering this as a primary consideration?

I've hiked the world over and " on occasion" have been forced to camp outside. That said, except in a situation where I had to do so, I'd rather sought the "comforts" of a communal experience, i.e. fellow sojourners, showers, clean sheets (well usually), heat/cold, did I mention showers.

Many albergues charge donativo...trust me...a hot shower and a welcoming word or face are priceless.

Buen "gotta have a hot shower" Camino.

Arn

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After Sarria there was a sign on the path that requested a wake-up at 9 a.m. for the campers a few meters off the trail! An energetic pilgrim was waking them at 0845. Someone is always ready to help on a Camino.

@Skilsaw
A good point you mentioned about donating for using the services at any place.
Although this will be my first Camino de Santiago i have walked and camped on various trails and on two other 'pilgrimages' and i find it always in everyones best interests to ask politely if you can use a shower etc and offer a donation for doing so.
I have asked hotels, guest houses and even gymnasiums /sport leisure centers and have rarely been turned away from having a shower, filling up my water sac or charging my devices. People are generally very kind and like to hear your 'story' :)

@Arn
Some of us prefer to camp it's as simple as that. On my previous pilgrim walks i walked with other pilgrims, i dined with other pilgrims and shared a drink or two in the evenings. The only thing i didn't do was share sleeping facilities with them.
Personally i sleep better alone, in my own space and of course i am not disturbed in the night by snorers, late arrivals, people using the toilets, body odour etc and nor are my fellow walkers disturbed by me :)
This is not to say i am dogmatic about camping out - indeed i look forward to the odd night under a solid roof (especially if there is a downpour lol). It is, as i say, just a preference to 'kip under canvas'

The reason I mention sleeping outside is because I am an extremely light sleeper. It's to the point of ridiculousness. I once woke up to the sound of my dog crunching dog food out on the back porch. Absolutely any kind of noise disturbs my sleep, and I'm imagining extreme sleep deprivation from Pamplona to Santiago ...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hey Johnnyman :)
If walking 25+ kilometers a day, everyday, for 20+ days, with a backpac that can feel heavier everyday, breathing in the wonderful fresh spanish country air followed by a nice beer or glass of wine at the end of the day doesnt tire you out and give you a deep sleep then i dont know what will :)

Hey, PilgrimChris, yes, I have considered that walking all day could certainly help improve the quality of my sleep! I'm going to start out trying the albergues with earplugs, but will leave open the possibility of sleeping outside and/or grabbing a nice hotel/pension room now and again ... :wink:

Well Johnny be careful about mentioning sleeping in hotels - to some people that means your not a proper 'pilgrim' *wink*

Truth is whatever way you sleep, where you stay and however you decide to walk to Santiago de Compostela the Camino de Santiago you undertake is your own and is therefore true.

Only if you try and do it someone elses 'way' will it not be 'your' camino.

There is a rich abundance of advice in these forums for anything you might wish to know about the practicalities of walking, where to stay, health, dangers, etiquate(?), equipment etc.
The one thing you will not find here is 'your' camino. Only by doing it will you discover and claim your very own and personal pilgrimage and thus share in something that millions have done before you and what will always be your own authentic and unique journey.

Hopefully of course you will share your story and experiences with all of us here, however if you dont then that is equally fine too. After all - of the millions who walked the way - only a tiny minority share there story publicly.For most the Camino de Santiago is a private matter.

Whatever reason you are doing this camino i wish you success, peace and contentment.
Chris

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I will definitely be sharing my experience(s), Chris ... and one of the things I hope to learn during my journey is tolerance for people who otherwise would really piss me off :D (not referring to you, of course, but to the type(s) of people you mentioned)

Johnny to tolerate someone is quite simple theory as the definition of 'tolerate' in your instance is

"allow the existance, occurrence, or practice of (something that one dislikes or disagrees with) without interference."
and
"accept or endure (someone or something unpleasant or disliked) with forbearance."
http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/view/ ... _gb0869170

Thus 'tolerance' seems to be the minimum requirement we should have for others.

If we can tolerate with love then then hopefully we are aiming higher in our relationships with others.

Mind you - i am fully aware i can test anyones tolerance levels :)

There you go, Chris, a fine example of exactly the kind of thing I can hope to learn and possibly absorb. Excellent words of wisdom ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Johnny - i must admit to being a little mischievous in my 'defining tolerance' comment :)

Tolerance is an expression used a lot in society (and forums) as something to be admired. I was merely pointing out that by definition it should be the least one should expect of ourselves and others and not something to strive for.

Looking for the positive in others and looking positively at their views, beliefs, faiths and intentions is , in my opinion, something to strive for.

Many people - myself included - often fall into the ' negativity trap', that is seeing the negative in others views, beliefs, faiths, intentions etc.

What my own pilgrimage is constantly trying to teach me is not just to "tolerate" those whom i seem initially to have little in common, but to actively seek the positive in them and to love them for who they are. After all - i would hope the same from others when they encounter me :)

Oh and by pilgrimage i mean ones daily journey through life. A pilgrimage to Santiago or any T(t)raditional holy/spiritual place can be a focus for this, but our whole life is a journey to self if we choose.

Controlling something that is entirely in your mind, say being pissed or judging another's religion, is not toleration. It is minding your own business! It seems to me there must be a crossing of a physical border, say sitting in an icy bathtub, before there is a choice to tolerate or not. Up to that point, it just the synapses deep within your brain that are doing anything. Your thumb hangs at the end of your arm all day long, but unless you hit it with a hammer or consciously think about it, you ignore all the signals that it is sending, and it is sending billions. Try doing the same thing for all "mental" conditions -- ignore them. It will make the Camino a lot more fun (in my humble opinion).

Ah Falcon my friend :) what you say is true - if you are a humanist and/or believe we cannot consciously alter those subconscious impulses. This is a question of free will. Not necessarily in the 'religious' sense, but rather whether one believes ultimately that our 'brain' has made a decision before our consciousness. There is much scientific debate over this as well as religous :)

My 'opinion' is that we do have the ability to change how our 'brain' operates as otherwise the ultimate conclusion is that we ultimately are not consciously responsible for our thoughts and actions. (a view many humanists subscribe to). If this IS the final analysis then not only are we 'free' to think and act with impunity, we can also argue we cannot consciously be held accountable for said thoughts and actions. This is a frightening concept as i am sure you can see :)

My own belief is that we CAN effect our 'impulses' (for me with Divine help though that is a matter of faith and not something i wish to get into). My belief implies taking responsiblity for our thoughts and actions - something that seems to me lacking in some peoples way of thinking these days.

Some people blame God for the crap in the world, others blame the devil. Some blame the politicians others blame religion. Some blame other nations or cultures whilst yet others blame science.
Rarely do people look to themselves and find themselves wanting. Whatever belief one has, be it in a god or in humanist ideology,scientology or whatever, we could all do with talking responsiblity for ourselves AND each other.

Again this is just my opinion and i respect anyone else's differing opinions.

Simply put, let us treat each other as we wish to be treated ourselves and not blame anyone else(or our own 'predetermined impulses') if we fail to do so.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back