• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping outside

Christopher Hegan

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés 2014, 2016, 2021. Norte 2018
In 2016 I had to find somewhere outside to spend the night because I took my time and arrived to find the albergués full. And my budget doesn't run to hotel rooms. Has anyone done this recently on the Francés? Planning to start about 600 kliks out, maybe Logroño, next week.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have slept outside multiple times and on multiple occasions, including my current one.

It's a LOT less necessary on the Francès than elsewhere.

Laws in place are against wild camping, which isn't the same as just sleeping out.

Don't light a fire, and don't set up a tent in one place for multiple nights.

I have slept outside in a tent on several occasions and also just slept outside on a church portico in January. If I get to go in August Im going to take a bivvy bag with me instead of a tent, my reason is I don't want to book ahead all the time, I expect it to be busy as I will mainly be walking in Galicia in the busiest period of this year and will find it hard to turn up late( as is my practice) and get a place.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Church porches tend to free of Bed-bugs. As do Hay-lofts, Cattle Byres and those Inviernos, the stone shelters built for the cattle & sheep when they are brought down from mountain pasturage. Wood sheds and tractor sheds are useful too but make sure you've introduced yourself to the owner and the yard-dogs. I try to avoid Al-fresco sleeping in cities & larger towns - there is usually a resident homeless population that has laid bagsy to all the better spots. Motorway overpasses tend to be dry but noisy. Avoid culverts.

I regularly sleep outside (live in Spain). By far and away the best method is a light weight groundsheet and a mosquito net draped from a tree or something.
If you have to ask, why sleep outside, then you've never tried it! Happy stargazing. Tent or a roof if raining.

I predominately sleep outside with the occasional refugio to take advantage of what they offer. Set up late as secluded as possible, no fires & leave before dawn. No problem other than bathing issues.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Compared to the "wild camping" threads, this is a very uplifting one. Glad to read it. Since I plan to walk in November, there will be not many options to sleep under the stars, but just reading that there are alternatives is a good thing.

I’m starting the frances in a few days in Pamplona. I refuse to book ahead and don’t want to rush and worry about not getting a bed.

This is therefore very encouraging to read! This will be my backup for when albergues are full.

This option never occurred to me before, so I haven’t packed anything needed for sleeping outside. All I have is a large sheet. Is a sleeping bag necessary? What, in your opinions, is the minimum I’d need to purchase for sleeping outside (I want to keep the weight of my pack down). One tarp or lightweight tent?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Also, how cold does it get at night in July on the Frances? I walked the frances in August a few years ago but never slept outside.

I’m starting the frances in a few days in Pamplona... What, in your opinions, is the minimum I’d need to purchase for sleeping outside (I want to keep the weight of my pack down)...
In 2020 on a Camino in Germany I took a tarp and minimal equipment for sleeping outside with me. Just in case because of corona. I did not need it... so I tried it in the last night... because it added weight to my backpack (which is uncomfortable and may increase the risk of injury ).
Sleeping outside with my gear was rather uncomfortable for me.
On the other hand, my sister slept in a hammock in the forest for the first time last month, just for fun, and it was great for her.

So my recommendation would be to try it out at home where you can experiment and improve your gear and your sleeping technique without carrying it hundreds of miles... and next time if I can't test my sleeping outside gear successfully at home, I'll leave it at home.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No annoying snoring if you sleep outside. Going to the bathroom responsibly will be a challenge. Homeowners would be furious to find toilet paper and feces on their land.
Ted

Is it possible to sleep only in a sleeping bag liner outside? Is it enough? I would take something like bivy bag and maybe some inflatable mat with me.

Compared to the "wild camping" threads, this is a very uplifting one. Glad to read it. Since I plan to walk in November, there will be not many options to sleep under the stars, but just reading that there are alternatives is a good thing.
I would add a caveat to sleeping out regularly in late autumn or winter and that is your chest/lungs could be adversely affected, I have met two people whose thing is sleeping out on Camino, and they both had hacking coughs from the damp cold conditions at night even when undercover.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back