• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping question

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2013
I read a thread about soaking a fitted sheet in10% of insect poison and using that to prevent bedbugs
The question I have is do you then sleep on the sheet or do you need to put some thing over the bed to sleep on

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi, the following link is the one you want to read about the possibility of being 'harassed' by bed bugs:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/bed-bugs-2013/ - you will find it on this forum along with other great links to learn all about how to avoid these unwelcome critters.

I also am hesitant to spray things either on the bedding I carry or on myself, but we do need to take some precautions, so it's good to get some ideas on what to do. I have a silk sleeping bag (a sleeping liner really, but it will be hot when we start on the Camino so should suffice). Have an excellent trip and don't let the stories of being bitten along the way put you off - there are ways around it.

The permethrin wash or spray method has been approved in the U.S. for humans by the FDA, for whatever that is worth. I treat my stuff. I have seen bed bug carcasses in three places in spring before the bug season in France. I have not been bitten or seen a live bug.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We purchased Bed Bug Guard Sheets and Pillow cases treated with Permethrin from a company called Purple Turtle in the UK. (http://www.purpleturtle.co.uk)

They are extremely lightweight and come in a tight compressed little ditty bag.

We will plan to put these down and then sleep in our sleeping bags on top of them.

Apparently, if any little bed bug comes in contact, they will die before getting to us!

Hoping to sleep tight,
Susan

I purchased a twin (bunk) sized fitted sheet and very light weight top sheeet and a pillow case and spayed them (along with my backpack) with permethrin before I left. It worked great. I did not have any trouble with bedbugs while I ran across many who did at the same place I stayed.

I walked in September-Octoberr 2012 and did not bring a sleeping bag, just the sheets. I used the blankets provided by the albergues but always had the top sheeet folded over the blanket.

Dan
danscaminotravels.workdpress.com

I used permethrin treated silk sheet that I made in twin size and sewed elastic on corners to tie to the bedposts. Also sprayed my pack, etc. People were being bitten around me, even in next cot and I never had a bite. This was in 2010 and I doubt the bugs have changed. I am walking again in May/June 2014 and will spray all my equipment again.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, the following link is the one you want to read about the possibility of being 'harassed' by bed bugs:
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/bed-bugs-2013/ - you will find it on this forum along with other great links to learn all about how to avoid these unwelcome critters.

I also am hesitant to spray things either on the bedding I carry or on myself, but we do need to take some precautions, so it's good to get some ideas on what to do. I have a silk sleeping bag (a sleeping liner really, but it will be hot when we start on the Camino so should suffice). Have an excellent trip and don't let the stories of being bitten along the way put you off - there are ways around it.

I gather silk liners repel bed bugs? Do you know if indeed this is true?

With thanks

With thanks
To be honest, I don't know whether silk liners actually work, but then, we never did come across any bed bugs (and we were there in July, so at the height of the season) - although one place we almost stayed at looked a bit suspect, and we were glad it was full. I believe the hostels are taking the bed bug problem seriously these days and try their hardest to ensure they don't get "visitors" any in their beds. You can buy bug spray anywhere in Spain. You keep your things in a cupboard provided for the purpose, and never leave anything under the bed or, indeed, on the floor. There are washing machines at most, if not all, of the albergues, so you can always put everything in on a hottish wash if you think you've come across any of the little critters.

Also, as an added precaution, I lined our panniers (in your case, if you are walking, it would be your backpac) with large plastic bags so that when we were out in the hot sun, if there were any bugs hitching a ride they wouldn't have lasted long in there!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In a word, "no." If you treat it with permethrin, you will get the best protection possible.
You can buy bug spray anywhere in Spain.
I have never found permethrin for treating equipment in Spain (it is in all the tourist offices of France). Are you talking about household insect spray? While household spray may work for killing bed bugs that you can see, there are few that get them where they live. It takes fairly extensive pest control treatment to remove an infestation of bed bugs. If the spray cans you can find in supermercados worked well, no one would have bed bugs in Spain! And it is toxic...

With thanks
Not so much repel them but the close weave is supposed to prevent them coming through the liner but they can get at you in other ways, eg. if you have your arms outside or if you sleep on top of the liner because of the heat, There is no 100% solution other than be as careful as you can, treat your gear and hope for the best.

if you have your arms outside
Exposed flesh is almost the exclusive danger for getting bit. Head, shoulders, arms, hands, and feet are the prime candidates for bites when they are outside your sleeping bag/sack. Bites on covered flesh usually are from bed bugs that started on exposed flesh and moved up the limb! When pilgrims report that they had no problem with bed bugs even during high bed bug season, I suspect it is because they sleep completely inside their sleeping bag. DEET is somewhat effective against bed bugs, so if you are going to hang out a foot, you can get some protection by using DEET. I personally wash in the morning the areas I covered with DEET at night. I don't like using it all day unless I absolutely need to!

Bed bugs are small, but not small enough to crawl through any fabric. Silk and nylon give the bugs an excellent toe hold! So does cotton.

Joe and I bought sheer curtains at a charity shop (Goodwill) and soaked them in permethrin. They weighed almost nothing.

You would lay the bedbug sheet on the bed, then put your sleeping bag on top.

If you are not a person who is allergic to chemicals, you could spray your sleeping bag (outside) with permethrin. Not a good thing to do for a lifetime, but for 6 weeks, I doubt it would hurt you.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.