• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping sac - I'm looking for the lightest

Alvin T

Time of past OR future Camino
I'm looking for suggestions on the lightest sleep "sac" I can use on the Camino.
1. I never get cold at night (if cold, I wear extra clothes).
2. I never walk the Camino in winter.
3. Right now, I use a flannel sheet folded in half and sewn at the bottom and even that is too heavy.
Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm looking for suggestions on the lightest sleep "sac" I can use on the Camino.
3. Right now, I use a flannel sheet folded in half and sewn at the bottom and even that is too heavy.
Why not use something heavier than cotton flannel then ? I mean lightest of all is (sorry, just what comes to me)
Cotton muslin.
You know, the stuff that keeps mosquitoes away in the doorways.

Linen i think will be even COOLER and stronger too.

i have the same question except

1. I would go walking in the winter
2. I would get cold in sleep if i don't have enuff /proper bedding. I habe wool socks to combat that, and nothing beats a GOOD hat too!

Keep us posted :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Weight can be deceptive -- a digital scale (I use mine from the kitchen) can be eye-opening. Things one wouldn't think weigh much at all turn out to be a kilo! It all adds up. Silk liners are very lightweight; they are also quite slick and can be confining if you don't open up one of the side seams.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I used silk liner bought in Decathlon with blanket provided by albergue when needed. Adequate for fine weather Camino. For me not enough late October (days leading into Salamanca) or in April from Salamanca to Santiago on colder nights

I used the Sea to Summit Traveller Tr1 lightweight sleeping bag. It weighs less than a pound (450g) and has a draw string rather than closed bottom. It cost about $250 Cdn from MEC and worked perfectly on the Via last March/April. I was amazed at how much heat it generated/retained and I never overheated. I have used a liner on the French and Porto in September/October but this is lighter and I will use it on all Caminos, even in the summer, because it can open up into a light sheet.

I used Cocoon brand because I think they have the most innovative products. Silk is lightest (I use the silk ripstop, which is amazingly durable). For a summer camino I use the Egyptian Cotton. Not that durable (my first one lasted about 6 weeks (three two-week caminos)), but definitely best for the summer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not the lightest but I enjoy the zipper feature: ALPS Mountaineering Sleeping Bag Liner

My Lifeventure silk mummy bag liner has lasted 6 Caminos. It is cut to open all the way. I also carry 2/3 of a Montbell very light bag -- "heavy" zipper removed. Buen Camino

I have been taking a thin silk sleeping bag liner only for years. It is ultra light.
I prefer the double size as easier to get in and out of.
It is called Silksak.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Alvin
I always bring two cotton sheets & when cold wear more clothes,
as you.
Last year I left my sleeping bag at a hostel in Tomar, best decision ever.

I used my silk sack from Soundly Sleeping Dragon from Sept. 10 - Oct. 20th this past year. Super light-weight! The sleep sack was easy to wash and hang to dry. There were some nights, especially early on, when even that was too hot, but it was more about those who refused to open a window in very hot albergues. In places where it had gotten much cooler - especially overnight, there were always blankets available in all the albergues I stayed in, so in the end, being cold was never an issue.

Last edited:
The lightest and warmest sleeping bags are made with 800 down. These are usually the most expensive option. However, you only need a 45-degree F bag. Look for the down rating in the product description.

Practice by sleeping in an unheated basement.

-Paul

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

A silk sleep sheet should be enough. I imagine it is lighter than flannel and silk is vey warm. Nearly all the Albergues I stayed in this year - 2022- had blankets. I walked Camino Frances in 2007 with just my silk sleep sheet (sleeping bag liner). I had one night in O Cebriero where I needed to get a room because the albergue was being renovated and had no blankets or heating. Another night I. wore all my clothes and made it through the night. The rest was absolutely fine.

The Lifeventure silk sleeping bag liner is hard to beat for weight, durability and price.
I have the rectangular one weighs 154 grams not used it yet on Camino but i have in a home test.

No heating on at night with outside temp around 7C.
I am a old cold fish i kept my Rab lightweight fleece on and base layer bottoms + socks and was okay don't think i could go much lower without using my lightweight puffy quilt! (i am such a wuss 🤣)
Woody

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
For the OP’s purposes the silk liner (which they have just ordered) is clearly the best option.

I walk in the ‘off season’ and whilst I’m latterly staying in more luxurious accommodation, my auberge option is a venerable ‘pied d’elephant’ down bag; a relic of my more youthful alpine days (or nights, I suppose). It only goes from the feet to just above what I fondly remember as being my waist. The top half is accounted for by a very light down jacket.

I never used to feel the cold; in my mid 40’s I’d still be in shorts in freezing temperatures. But some combination of old-age; poverty and weight-loss has rather changed that. I and Henry the (actual) Dog are currently star-gazing in Cumbria at a balmy minus six and it’s a bit challenging.

Last edited:
Look for a down summer weight sleeping bag as they tend to be the lightest. Unfortunately, the lighter they are the more expensive they can be - but there are some good lightweight ones available at affordable prices on Amazon.

OR take a silk liner. I always need to carry a sleeping bag myself, but if you sleep warm the liner might be sufficient. Silk lines tend to be lighter than other material. Usually anyway.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Silk liners are very lightweight; they are also quite slick and can be confining if you don't open up one of the side seams.

My silk liner is quite roomy and doesn't feel confining - it doesn’t have side zips or anything. Make sure you check the size before buying. I imagine not al liners are equal.

I used the Sea to Summit Traveller Tr1 lightweight sleeping bag. It weighs less than a pound (450g) and has a draw string rather than closed bottom. It cost about $250 Cdn from MEC and worked perfectly on the Via last March/April. I was amazed at how much heat it generated/retained and I never overheated. I have used a liner on the French and Porto in September/October but this is lighter and I will use it on all Caminos, even in the summer, because it can open up into a light sheet.
I have the same one, and just love it! Even in the summer, some albergues get really cold at night. Having a good night of sleep is a must to recover and have another wonderful fun in the Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My silk liner is quite roomy and doesn't feel confining - it doesn’t have side zips or anything. Make sure you check the size before buying. I imagine not al liners are equal.
Same. I have a double one. Very nice.

I made my own silk sleep sack - nice and wide with a zipper part way down one side. I also added elastic straps to keep it on the mattress instead of twisting around my body.
I'm happy to share how I made it and the materials I used for anyone who is interested.

I have been taking a thin silk sleeping bag liner only for years. It is ultra light.
I prefer the double size as easier to get in and out of.
It is called Silksak.
Do you ever machine wash yours? Website says hand wash or gentle cycle

Do you ever machine wash yours? Website says hand wash or gentle cycle
I machine wash it in front loader on gentle and slow spin. No problem. Have had the sac for 8 years and use it more or less every year for 6 weeks. It has lasted really well.

I made my own silk sleep sack - nice and wide with a zipper part way down one side. I also added elastic straps to keep it on the mattress instead of twisting around my body.
I'm happy to share how I made it and the materials I used for anyone who is interested.
Yes, please share!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Your posts convinced me. I just ordered the Sea to Summit Traveler for my wife for the Mozarabe in February. Buen Camino.
I swear by mine, bought in Australia BUT I did not get on with the ‘drawstring’ bottom end and hand stitched it to give me a straight end and giving me more toe space. Please note that it is available in different LENGTHS...

However, you may need a blanket for the Mozarabe in February, which most albergues have to hand. Otherwise, I find that ‘leggings’ do the trick with an added light top.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
friendly swede polyester rectangular sack w zipper and a place for a pillow- comfy- roomy and perfect on camino!

Go with a silk liner. I found a good one on an Australian or New Zealand site.
Go with a silk liner. I have a good one through Silk Living. It is either Australia or New Zealand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello,
I completely the Camino Frances in 2021. We walked from 9/11/21-10/24/21. I utilized the Sea to Summit Traveler. It’s a super lightweight quilt with the option to zip. I also carried a silk liner that I never used. The Traveler was perfect for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.