• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping sack and sleeping bag?

Orafo

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: Camino Francés, SJPP to Santiago and Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2013); Planned: Camino del Salvador-Camino Primitivo-Camino Francés-Camino Finisterre (Sept.-Oct. 2014)
I am concerned about pack weight -- today I loaded it, and it topped the scales at almost 22 lbs., without water. Too much, and I leave in a little over two weeks. So here's the question: I will leave SJPP on Sept. 25 and walk through October into the first few days of November. During that time, how cold is it likely to get at night in albergues? I ask, because I had been planning to take both a very lightweight silk sleeping sack, and a sleeping bag (REI "Travel Sack," rated at 45 degrees F). Will the sleeping bag alone be adequate? And while I'm at it, how about those capilene long johns (bottoms) -- do I really need them?
Thanks -- I'd especially appreciate responses from those who have walked the Camino Francés in October.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am concerned about pack weight -- today I loaded it, and it topped the scales at almost 22 lbs., without water. Too much, and I leave in a little over two weeks. So here's the question: I will leave SJPP on Sept. 25 and walk through October into the first few days of November. During that time, how cold is it likely to get at night in albergues? I ask, because I had been planning to take both a very lightweight silk sleeping sack, and a sleeping bag (REI "Travel Sack," rated at 45 degrees F). Will the sleeping bag alone be adequate? And while I'm at it, how about those capilene long johns (bottoms) -- do I really need them?
Thanks -- I'd especially appreciate responses from those who have walked the Camino Francés in October.

I am traveling the same route and the same time period (though i will be traveling until mid-November) and, I am actually considering taking the same sleep system - rei travel sack and silk travel sack. I tend to get cold easily and have wondered throughout the summer if I should take both, or leave one behind and trust the blankets. I've also debated between light merino wool tights vs capilene long johns. The tights could serve a dual purpose for me, but the capilene long johns are much lighter.

Decisions, decisions. :)

Hi,
I think 22 lbs is too much weight. From sept thru mid october your light sleeping bag should be plenty. For warmth I take a long sleeved shirt and a work vest. This fall I'll be walking only in france and will be taking a silk sleeping liner but no bag. Keep looking on this site for ways to lighten your load.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Being concerned about pack weight is a good thing. I have been working steadfastly for last month trying to get my pack weight down. I have tested every item in my pack. I routinely walk for 8 to 14 miles carrying my entire pack load. I'm walking the camino same time period, flying from the US on Sept 25th and start walking at Roncesvalles on the 26 or 27th. I walked from LePuy to Roncesvalles fall of 2012, same time period, thus completely this year. In france all you need is silk liner but my one night in Spain, taught me a sleeping bag of some sort is required for my comfort. Last year I carried about 12#. This year I've got my pack weight down from16# to about 12 # before consumables.... water, supplements, toiletries. It has been a chore. For my sleep system I will be taking a flat silk sheet 4.5 oz that I made large enough to tuck in all around a twin bed along with a Montbell down quilt, 13 oz, rated 50 degrees. I have tried many options, including the REI sleep sack 1 # 10 oz... too heavy, don't like sleeping inside something where I can't fully unzip it. A silk rectangular shaped sleep sack 4.4 oz with a breathable heat reflective blanket 11 oz made by cutting zipper and side seam out of SOL breathable bivy which is actually a very functional system. I scrapped that one only because I hate crawling in and out of silk bag. When all is said and done I will be carrying less than 10% of my body weight. Still have 3 weeks to fine tune. I'm not taking either wool or caprilene leggings though both were in my original options. I'm not taking my ultra light, 8 0z down jacket. I am taking 2 pair long pants, 1 skirt, 1 dress, 1 wool zip neck top, 1 long sleeve sun protection shirt, 1 light wind breaker hooded jacket, 2 tanks, 2 T's, 1 caprilene short, 1 Patagonia R1 hoody, 1 insulted vest 5 oz, 1 rain poncho 10 oz, 4 pair Darn Tough socks, 3 undies, 2 bras. Seems like a lot but take away what I'll be wearing which will change with conditions my clothing weight is about 5#. All my clothing sizes are L womens, makes a difference. Hope this helps.

If you post your complete packing list here, I am sure we can help you to reduce the weight quite a bit ;-) The sleeping bag should be enough, you can always wear some of your clothes at night when it is cold (f.e. in the mountains) Some refugios have also blankets but I am always doubtful how often they get washed ... The long Johns sound like a good idea as sleeping wear combine with a longish t-shirt and you should be fine. Hope that helps (yes, I have done fall / winter Caminos ;-) ) Buen Camino, SY

The weather forecast for the next week shows it's turning cold in Pamplona. Does that mean a cold fall season? Of course there is no way to know - Mother Nature is calling the shots!

I'd recommend keeping it as simple as possible - one or the other on sleeping bag or sack. Most of the albergues have blankets, and you will need something between you and the blanket; the sleep sack is perfect for that. If you tend to sleep cold, bring the sleeping bag instead; if it does cool off, even the sleeping bag users will be using blankets and there won't be any extras.

Another option is to bring both with you and post the sleeping bag ahead to Burgos or Leon, for pickup when you arrive there and the weather has turned colder. The post office (Correos) will hold parcels marked 'Peregrino' for up to two weeks. For the full story on how to use the post office to send things ahead: http://thecaminoexperience.com/Correos-post-office-Camino-de-Santiago.php

I'd also recommend bringing along the long johns. They could also be posted ahead if there is a heat wave on when you arrive in Spain.

And the last thing - if you find you need something you decided not to bring, there are shops all along the Way that cater to pilgrim's needs.

Good luck, Buen Camino, and hope to see you over there!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have walked in October. Pack weight probably 10 lbs. Albergues are heated and generally have blankets. So a light sleeping bag. I had a T shirt, long sleeved shirt and a shell jacket. Bought a fleece jacket in Leon. My advice is take absolutely as little as possible and add along the way.

I've decided to dump the 1.5 lb REI sleep sack and trust that my clothing and albergue blankets will be all I need to stay warm. It's a big step in letting go for a woman who was born and raised in Florida and lived in Hawaii for 20 years. Yikes ... All I have to do now us remember to breathe. Just breathe. :)

Without the sleeping bag, my pack is now just under 15 lbs with food and water.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Did the Camino in April 2013. I would advise taking the liner ( treated) and sleeping bag. Many of the Alburges have no heat.

Did the Camino in April 2013. I would advise taking the liner ( treated) and sleeping bag. Many of the Alburges have no heat.
Many people hike in the capilene garments as an outer pant. The locals say the April weather was unseasonably cold.

I've decided to dump the 1.5 lb REI sleep sack and trust that my clothing and albergue blankets will be all I need to stay warm. It's a big step in letting go for a woman who was born and raised in Florida and lived in Hawaii for 20 years. Yikes ... All I have to do now us remember to breathe. Just breathe. :)

Without the sleeping bag, my pack is now just under 15 lbs with food and water.
WOW. You did it Maggie! Congrats.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.