• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Sleeping Gear Recommendations for El Norte Camino during Covid

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Globalroaming074

El Norte ‘22, El Primitivo ‘23
Time of past OR future Camino
El Norte (May 2022)
Primitivo (May 2023)
Hi Guys

I’ll finally be starting my first Camino on El Norte this May, which like for so many others has been postponed since 2020.
Back then I had originally planned to take a silk liner only and assumed I’d be sleeping on an albergue mattress and grabbing a blanket there too if needed and obviously depending on availability.
Now, because of covid, I’m unsure of what is provided in the albergues. I assume I should be taking a sleeping bag but do I need to take the blow up sleeping mat that I’d normally use on multi day hikes as well?
I’d be interested to hear from those who have walked recently to shed some light on what I’m likely to encounter now in the age of covid.
Thanks for your help!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Short - concise answer:
  • Take the silk liner. Use it optionally in the lightweight sleeping bag that you will also need to carry.
  • Pre-COVID, albergues MAY have had reusable blankets that MAY have been laundered regularly. But the added risks of COVID infection put this practice on the shelf. You cannot rely on clean blankets being there. So, bring your own sleep system.
  • I advise a lightweight, highly compressible, sleeping bag or sleeping quilt. A temperature rating of about 50 (f) / 10 (c) should be adequate to purpose (sleeping inside a building).
  • Consider that most places are not heated all night long. Then, there are those pilgrims who persist in sleeping with open windows. That's a subject for another time and place.
Hope this helps.

Tom

Am to head out there in April. Doing as @t2andreo suggests: taking my silk liner and a lightweight down quilt.
On the advice of @trecile I will put the quilt *inside* the liner, and then slide myself in as well.
At this point I am only worried about the days of Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the Easter week-end, just after Llanes.
I have not yet been able to secure a spot for myself, but I’ve been told by Efren Gonzales, who walked in the Holy Week 3 years ago that he asked the hospitaleros to phone ahead to the next day for him, and he did acquire places.
I don’t think you will have any such similar hurdles in May, @Globalroaming074, but because places have not necessarily survived COV it will be good to be aware, watch the weather, pack accordingly and enlist the help of the hospitaleros and albergue keepers when/if necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!
I walked the Camino Ingles from Ferrol to Santiago de Compostela last October (2021)when many hospitaleros wanted to see your Covid Vaccine Cert abd the QR code which I had to fill up and show to Iberia before I boarded at Stockholm for Madrid.. Coming to the Municipals because of Covid restrictions all that was on offer in Pontedeume was a plain mattress - not even a pillow. Further only 50% and in others 75% of beds were made available. The private albergues were more generous ( more expensive) . I am, planning Irun to SdeC on the Del Norte ( tough!)just after Easter.. Ojala!
very best wishes
Vivek ( Capt Bonnie)

I plan to walk Camino Norte after Easter (4/21) from California. I searched municipal albergues, but most municipal albergues are closed. Many hostels and pensions are fully booked although the price is high. It looks like about 40-50 euros/night.
However, I reserved free cancellation bed/room from Irun to Bilbao. The situation (albergues situation) seems better after Bilbao. I think It may be easier to reserve bed when I got there in Spain.

I am fully vaccinated, so I confirmed I do not need to have COVID test, don’t need to prepare health insurance for Covid when I enter to Madrid; just need to wear facial mask and fill out a form they provided prior to my departure for Madrid. I will bring my vaccine card with me.
I may encounter with C.Bonnie on the road.

Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes. No matter of what, I always had travel insurance include health when I walked Camino. I bought insurance this time, too.

When I reserve the flight, there’s a questionnaire prior to make reservation, and I answered all the questions; then, they responded Madrid welcome you with the previous information; no need Covid test, no insurance, etc. Then, I reserved my flight.

Wow, that’s quite ambitious of you! Not sure how many mid-ocean albergues are open, though! 😎
I have started to worry about actual Norte accommodations as an issue, but if it turns out to be impassable because places are closed, I guess that after Llanes (from Bilbao) I will just transit down to the CF, or to Valladolid on the Madrid and then to the Invierno. I really want to accomplish something now that I think my back won't tolerate in another few years...

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really want to accomplish something now that I think my back won't tolerate in another few years...
I have similar situation with my back. I planned to walk Norte 2020. Due to COVID it’s postponed until now. Therefore, I feel like to do this time; otherwise, I may not be able to do.
When I checked the list of albergues, there are some municipal albergues open after Bilbao. So, I pray with hope that I could make it possible.🙏

I walked FC x2, Fisterra & Muxia x 3, Portugues, LePuy, so this Norte may be my last Camino.🤗

Thanks guys for your replies, it seems decided, a lightweight sleeping bag with a comfort level down to 10 degrees Celsius, silk liner and no sleep mat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.