• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping system for cold weather

MARYMOURAD

Time of past OR future Camino
June-July 2016
Hello All, I finally got my visa yesterday and booked my ticket to Paris - arriving in St. Jean on June 12
The question is regarding what to pack for sleep system - I'm Egyptian and have no problem at all with heat, but any weather below 20 c is considered cold.

So for sleep I have the following options and need to make combination/selection for sleep conditions that would include sleeping on the floor most days (have back condition that makes it impossible to handle soft mattresses)

1) Summer Sleeping bag - 750gms (really not good if temperature drops below 20)
2) Bivvy sac - 200 gms - small sac that goes outside sleeping bag, works as rain and wind shield gives maybe 5 degress buffer on top of sleeping bag but works as sleeping bag all by itself if weather is anyway above 20c. can even be used straight on the ground for insulation
3) Cotton Sleeping bag liner - 300 gms -
4) Double layer Colombia jacket - 500 gms - fleece layer and rain jacket, was thinking to wear to bed instead of fleece blanket and anyway use rain layer instead of puncho
5) Silk sleeping bag liner - 200 gms - don't have it but can make one, heard it provides more warmth b
6) Yoga mat - 500 gms- as sleeping pad on floor and sleep on
7) Thick plastic sheet - 200 gms - as sleeping pad

What combination of items should I plan to carry? Would the Albergues have blankets if it got too cold?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The most important part is the sleeping pad. It prevents your body from warming the planet. Get one that has R value of at least 1. Get closed cell foam ... I am not familiar with yoga mats and so cannot recommend. I like Ridge Rest.

If you wear clothes inside your sleeping bag you interfere with the ability of the bag to keep you warm. Naked would be best but is impractical. Best weight for warmth is from down filled bags. Wearing a jacket will cause the bag to compress interfering with the ability of the bag to hold heat.

Bag liners ... cotton or silk ... feel better than the material of the bag and help keep the bag clean. The weight doesn't justify if it is being used for warmth; you're better off with a heavier bag.

Bivy bag is too heavy for the use you will get out of it. Get a vapour liner instead and only if you plan to sleep outside.

A thin plastic sheet is useful as underlay to keep your stuff clean. Cut one about double the size of your sleeping pad for the stuff that hangs over the edge.

If you are still worried about warmth ... bring a wool toque or a wool scarf to wrap around your head. You lose more heat from your head than anywhere else.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as the warm hat mentioned above by WW are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Last edited:
The most important part is the sleeping pad. It prevents your body from warming the planet. Get one that has R value of at least 1. Get closed cell foam ... I am not familiar with yoga mats and so cannot recommend. I like Ridge Rest.

If you wear clothes inside your sleeping bag you interfere with the ability of the bag to keep you warm. Naked would be best but is impractical. Best weight for warmth is from down filled bags. Wearing a jacket will cause the bag to compress interfering with the ability of the bag to hold heat.

Bag liners ... cotton or silk ... feel better than the material of the bag and help keep the bag clean. The weight doesn't justify if it is being used for warmth; you're better off with a heavier bag.

Bivy bag is too heavy for the use you will get out of it. Get a vapour liner instead and only if you plan to sleep outside.

A thin plastic sheet is useful as underlay to keep your stuff clean. Cut one about double the size of your sleeping pad for the stuff that hangs over the edge.

If you are still worried about warmth ... bring a wool toque or a wool scarf to wrap around your head. You lose more heat from your head than anywhere else.

thanks a lot for the the wonderful detailed explanation. Problem is I'm in Egypt and the list here is everything I have/can find/can make :( I should have bought a DOWN bag, but it's never cold enough here to justify the expense.

So if the above is everything available, from your experience is there anything I can do to improve my chances of sleeping if weather is under 20c?

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid.

It sounds as if she's not planning on choosing any bunk at all, as she plans to sleep on the floor due to back issues.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as the warm hat mentioned above by WW are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

Thanks, will add the tights to the list. Problem is I may have to sleep on the floor frequently, but if they have blankets it will be safer I guess

Within a blanket sandwich even on the floor it won't necessarily be safer but it should be warmer than without any blanket.

Hope all your sleeps are comfortable! Buen camino!

Last edited:
From a quick glance at climate information, it seems to me that the June temperatures in northern Spain would be similar to the winter temperatures in Cairo. So base your decisions on that comparison. I'd expect a summer sleeping bag with a silk liner would be fine, always with the option to put on several layers of clothes. If you need to sleep on the floor, I suppose the mat would be a good idea. Regarding the double layer Columbia jacket, I have one myself for Canadian winters, but wouldn't take it on the Camino even in the winter! It is too heavy (the zippers in double layered jackets are heavy and bulky, for one thing) and would be unnecessary for all day walking when your body usually warms up. Better to take several thinner layers and wear them all if necessary (t-shirt, long sleeved light weight merino, another light weight shirt, a medium weight fleece, rain jacket, merino buff, hat and warm socks) rather than one or two thick ones. Whatever jacket you take, it can be used on top of your sleeping bag rather than inside.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If it's too cold, an effective method I used on mountains is to fill the nalgine water bottle with hot boiling water and put it inside the sleeping bag when you go to bed. Wrap with your towel or spare shirt if your attires are too thin. It will increase the temperature inside the sleeping bag. The heat from the bottle will easily last till 3-4 am plus you can sip some warm water by morning. That way, you don't really need to invest or lug heavy down sleeping bag unless it's the winter.

From a quick glance at climate information, it seems to me that the June temperatures in northern Spain would be similar to the winter temperatures in Cairo. So base your decisions on that comparison. I'd expect a summer sleeping bag with a silk liner would be fine, always with the option to put on several layers of clothes. If you need to sleep on the floor, I suppose the mat would be a good idea. Regarding the double layer Columbia jacket, I have one myself for Canadian winters, but wouldn't take it on the Camino even in the winter! It is too heavy (the zippers in double layered jackets are heavy and bulky, for one thing) and would be unnecessary for all day walking when your body usually warms up. Better to take several thinner layers and wear them all if necessary (t-shirt, long sleeved light weight merino, another light weight shirt, a medium weight fleece, rain jacket, merino buff, hat and warm socks) rather than one or two thick ones. Whatever jacket you take, it can be used on top of your sleeping bag rather than inside.

This is wonderful, thanks loads for the info. will save the space of the jacket and add extra layers and maybe a fleece blanket (airplane style) but hopefully find a puncho somewhere - otherwise I will have to make one myself!

Seems so far the bivvy sac and cotton liner are out

My thoughts in italics

1) Summer Sleeping bag - 750gms (really not good if temperature drops below 20) - Take it, remember you will share the dorm with many people, which increases room temperature.

2) Bivvy sac - 200 gms - small sac that goes outside sleeping bag, works as rain and wind shield gives maybe 5 degress buffer on top of sleeping bag but works as sleeping bag all by itself if weather is anyway above 20c. can even be used straight on the ground for insulation - Leave it at home.

3) Cotton Sleeping bag liner - 300 gms - too heavy, leave at home.

4) Double layer Colombia jacket - 500 gms - fleece layer and rain jacket, was thinking to wear to bed instead of fleece blanket and anyway use rain layer instead of puncho - if it really is rainproof it 'could' replace a poncho (but it wouldn't cover your backpack anyway. If it is your only warm piece of clothing, take it, if not, leave it at home.

5) Silk sleeping bag liner - 200 gms - don't have it but can make one, heard it provides more warmth b - if your backpack weight is ok otherwise, take it.

6) Yoga mat - 500 gms- as sleeping pad on floor and sleep on - Far too heavy, leave at home. If you really have to sleep on the floor there are either mattresses and/or somebody that has a bed has also a light weight sleeping pad.

7) Thick plastic sheet - 200 gms - as sleeping pad - Leave at home!

Would the Albergues have blankets if it got too cold? - A lot do, but not all albergues. Also I think you are underestimating the heat in July ...

Please do post also the rest of your packing list, there might be other items you do not need to take.
Buen Camino, SY

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My thoughts in italics

1) Summer Sleeping bag - 750gms (really not good if temperature drops below 20) - Take it, remember you will share the dorm with many people, which increases room temperature.

2) Bivvy sac - 200 gms - small sac that goes outside sleeping bag, works as rain and wind shield gives maybe 5 degress buffer on top of sleeping bag but works as sleeping bag all by itself if weather is anyway above 20c. can even be used straight on the ground for insulation - Leave it at home.

3) Cotton Sleeping bag liner - 300 gms - too heavy, leave at home.

4) Double layer Colombia jacket - 500 gms - fleece layer and rain jacket, was thinking to wear to bed instead of fleece blanket and anyway use rain layer instead of puncho - if it really is rainproof it 'could' replace a poncho (but it wouldn't cover your backpack anyway. If it is your only warm piece of clothing, take it, if not, leave it at home.

5) Silk sleeping bag liner - 200 gms - don't have it but can make one, heard it provides more warmth b - if your backpack weight is ok otherwise, take it.

6) Yoga mat - 500 gms- as sleeping pad on floor and sleep on - Far too heavy, leave at home. If you really have to sleep on the floor there are either mattresses and/or somebody that has a bed has also a light weight sleeping pad.

7) Thick plastic sheet - 200 gms - as sleeping pad - Leave at home!

Would the Albergues have blankets if it got too cold? - A lot do, but not all albergues. Also I think you are underestimating the heat in July ...

Please do post also the rest of your packing list, there might be other items you do not need to take.
Buen Camino, SY

Will definitely carry the sleeping bag in this case, and a liner - will start on the silk one immediately.

Here's my packing list so far and would very much appreciate advice on what to remove/add:

Camino pack
  • Backpack 40l with rain cover
  • Wide rim rain resistant hat and buff
  • Walking pole
  • Waist belt bag
  • Double layer jacket: fleece layer and water proof layer that can be separated ????? will try to replace with thin fleece shirt and long-sleeve t-shirt, and rain puncho
  • Shoes: ankle support boots, shower flip flops
  • Knee support
  • Collapsible water bottle
  • Sleep: this is the question area :) ??????
  • Toiletries: Toothbrush, travel size toothpaste, floss, multipurpose soap, shampoo, conditioner , 2 hair bankds, moisturizer cream, lip balm, deodorant, hair comb,
  • Sunscreen
  • small washcloth
  • Towel
  • Scrubba washbag (also works as dry sack
  • Flushable Wipes, toilet paper, daily pads and fempads (few of each item)
  • Clothes: 2 t-shirts, 3 socks, 2 pants (1 zippable), 3 pairs underwear, one evening camp dress,
  • Head lamp
  • Sewing kit (hotel size)
  • Thin thread/rope
  • Carabiner clips- 3 sizes to attach to backpack
  • Safety pins
  • Super glue (10ml)
  • bungy roap (wrapped around sleeping bag)
  • Paper clips (to hang clothes on line or attach them to backpack)
  • Swiss knife (airplane size)
  • Meds: compeed, band aid, muscle relaxant, muscle cream, pain killer, after bite cream, eye drops,
  • Bug repellent
  • Electronics: phone,charger, ear phones
    Spoon, fork, knife
  • Ziplog for every set of items and 2 garbage bags for additional rain proofing
Questioning items
  • Plastic cup for drinks ?????
  • Power bank ???????
  • Scarf???
Was wondering if there's place to purchase a thin sweater or fleece jacket if I got too cold at some point in the evening?

What are you sleeping in at night?

Consider a light but long sleeve T.

Chances are that when you decide you need that light fleece you will be in the midfle of a series of small towns with little next to nothing in terms of shops or will be in a large town on a Sunday.

No plastic cup, change paper clips to disper pins, add something to wash clothes. Leave the power bar at home.

What are you doing for rain?

Why super glue ( not that ut weighs anything)?

Just a summer weight sleeping bag is enough for a June-July Camino Frances. You really don't need the liner if you are bringing that. The albergues don't get so cold that you need both, especially when you take into consideration the heat produced by several other pilgrims sleeping in the same room. Also you will find blankets available in many of the albergues. Not all, but many.
The waterproof jacket and removable fleece combo will work great. That's what I carried. You get a little chilly at night, you can always sleep with the fleece on. That's what I did. You don't need the poncho if you have that.
I suppose a scarf could come in handy....cold or warm weather scarf?
A lightweight, packable plastic cup can come in handy sometimes. Kind of a luxury item. You can take it or leave it.
You don't need super glue.
Good idea bringing the garbage bags for waterproof bags for when it rains. That's what I did, and they worked great as extra protection. Rain covers on packs are great, but not perfect. If it looked like a rainy day, I put all my stuff in the garbage bags in my pack and cinched them up. That way I had three layers of water resistance. The rain cover. The pack. The garbage bag. Speaking from experience, getting your clothes and stuff wet from the rain sucks.
I never found a need for a power bank. I always found somewhere to recharge my phone. Just make sure you have a plug adapter.
cheers, and ultreia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Again my thoughts in italics
  • Collapsible water bottle - as you go in Juli make that two 1l bottles and fill as needed
  • Sleep: this is the question area :) ?????? - Next days hiking cloths or just next days undies and t-shirt
  • multipurpose soap, shampoo, conditioner , moisturizer cream, lip balm, deodorant, - shampoo is good enough to wash body hair and clothes, take cream and leave extra lip balm, leave deo, you will small anyway
  • Sunscreen - A good one will replace moisturizer and lip balm, think multi-use
  • small washcloth - leave at home, use hands
  • Towel - how heavy?
  • Scrubba washbag (also works as dry sack - leave at home
  • Flushable Wipes, toilet paper - leave wipes at home, take tissue (pack out to next bin!)
  • 3 socks, 3 pairs underwear, one evening camp dress, 2 pairs of thick socks and 2 pairs of thin/liner socks would be my preference, 2 sets of under wear, no camp dress
  • Head lamp leave at home, there is plenty of daylight around in Juli, in emergency case use mobile
  • Sewing kit (hotel size) - if you must
  • Thin thread/rope - For what?
  • Carabiner clips- 3 sizes to attach to backpack -max 1 to use in shower
  • Super glue (10ml) - leave at home, if you really need it (unlikely if you have new equipment) you can always buy it.
  • bungy roap (wrapped around sleeping bag) - for what???
  • Paper clips (to hang clothes on line or attach them to backpack) - You already take safety pins for this
  • Meds: compeed, muscle relaxant, muscle cream, pain killer, after bite cream, eye drops, Make sure you know how to use Compeed! If used wrongly they can do a lot of damage, muscle relaxants/cream, painkiller, after bite cream etc can be all bought in local pharmacies if really needed. Eye drops also, unless you know that you will need them from day 1.
  • Bug repellent - Few mosquitos around and repelling bed bugs - good luck ...
  • ear phones - listen to the sounds of nature, the sounds around you, be aware of where you are, also for safety reasons (traffic accidents!)
  • Spoon, fork, knife - I just take a knife
  • Ziplog for every set of items and 2 garbage bags for additional rain proofing - rubbish bag as back back liner and for those items you can't afford to get wet rubbish bag/zip lock bag, but don't overdo it, these grams do add up

• Plastic cup for drinks ????? - No!
  • Power bank ??????? - No, but a multi-plug to share one outlet with other pilgrims might be appreciated by them
  • Scarf??? - No, you already have a buff But perhaps a sarong style piece of fabric to replace towel, skirt etc.

Was wondering if there's place to purchase a thin sweater or fleece jacket if I got too cold at some point in the evening? Every city and many of the towns will have a shop to buy one of these.

Buen Camino, SY

The only other thing I can suggest for warmth is to bring a down filled quilt.

Give the bag a good shaking out to get the maximum loft out of the fill material before you get into it.

The question is regarding what to pack for sleep system - I'm Egyptian and have no problem at all with heat, but any weather below 20 c is considered cold.

So for sleep I have the following options and need to make combination/selection for sleep conditions that would include sleeping on the floor most days (have back condition that makes it impossible to handle soft mattresses)

1) Summer Sleeping bag - 750gms (really not good if temperature drops below 20)
2) Bivvy sac - 200 gms - small sac that goes outside sleeping bag, works as rain and wind shield gives maybe 5 degress buffer on top of sleeping bag but works as sleeping bag all by itself if weather is anyway above 20c. can even be used straight on the ground for insulation
3) Cotton Sleeping bag liner - 300 gms -
4) Double layer Colombia jacket - 500 gms - fleece layer and rain jacket, was thinking to wear to bed instead of fleece blanket and anyway use rain layer instead of puncho
5) Silk sleeping bag liner - 200 gms - don't have it but can make one, heard it provides more warmth b
6) Yoga mat - 500 gms- as sleeping pad on floor and sleep on
7) Thick plastic sheet - 200 gms - as sleeping pad

What combination of items should I plan to carry? Would the Albergues have blankets if it got too cold?

Do you sleep on the floor frequently at home? Sleeping on an un-carpeted floor can often be uncomfortable because of pressure points that occur. I would strongly recommend bringing some sort of sleeping pad. One of the cheapest and lightest, but also bulkiest would be a closed cell foam pad like the Ridge Rest Z Lite. There are also inflatable pads available that cost a bit more. Check where ever you bought your backpack and they should carry some. If your yoga mat is comfortable for you to sleep on, then bring it and don't worry about the weight. If you don't sleep well at night, then you will be miserable no matter how light your pack is.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Not much to add, besides my opinion. And some general comments.
Nothing to add to SYates's good and detailed advice except to emphasize that there are plenty of stores in Spain where you can get things you might only need once, or not at all--but are carrying 'just in case'. Save the space and the weight and leave them at home.
From a quick glance at climate information, it seems to me that the June temperatures in northern Spain would be similar to the winter temperatures in Cairo.
Good point--and a good reference point!
If you need to sleep on the floor, I suppose the mat would be a good idea.
Yoga mats are really heavy. If you must bring a camping mat that's more lightweight. In albergues, there's often not so much space on the floor, and you'd risk being trod upon in the dark. Floors are often tile, so the comments here about padding and warmth are worth heeding.

Do you sleep on the floor frequently at home? Sleeping on an un-carpeted floor can often be uncomfortable because of pressure points that occur. I would strongly recommend bringing some sort of sleeping pad. One of the cheapest and lightest, but also bulkiest would be a closed cell foam pad like the Ridge Rest Z Lite. There are also inflatable pads available that cost a bit more. Check where ever you bought your backpack and they should carry some. If your yoga mat is comfortable for you to sleep on, then bring it and don't worry about the weight. If you don't sleep well at night, then you will be miserable no matter how light your pack is.

Yes, I sleep on the floor - just put yoga mat on tile floor and get into sleeping bag if it's too cold but hardly ever.
I'm afraid sleeping pads haven't been invented in Egypt yet :)I bought everyhing last year from India on a trekking trip and that's all I have now.
I think I'm using this advice and taking my mat eventually, unless I get time to grab something from Paris before getting on the bus to SJPP

Not much to add, besides my opinion. And some general comments.

Nothing to add to SYates's good and detailed advice except to emphasize that there are plenty of stores in Spain where you can get things you might only need once, or not at all--but are carrying 'just in case'. Save the space and the weight and leave them at home.

Good point--and a good reference point!

Yoga mats are really heavy. If you must bring a camping mat that's more lightweight. In albergues, there's often not so much space on the floor, and you'd risk being trod upon in the dark. Floors are often tile, so the comments here about padding and warmth are worth heeding.

Thanks Viranani, I actually took the advice seriously and cut my bag in half already :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
  • Collapsible water bottle - as you go in Juli make that two 1l bottles and fill as needed
  • Sleep: this is the question area :) ?????? - Next days hiking cloths or just next days undies and t-shirt
  • multipurpose soap, shampoo, conditioner , moisturizer cream, lip balm, deodorant, - shampoo is good enough to wash body hair and clothes, take cream and leave extra lip balm, leave deo, you will small anyway
  • Sunscreen - A good one will replace moisturizer and lip balm, think multi-use
  • small washcloth - leave at home, use hands
  • Towel - how heavy?
  • Scrubba washbag (also works as dry sack - leave at home
  • Flushable Wipes, toilet paper - leave wipes at home, take tissue (pack out to next bin!)
  • 3 socks, 3 pairs underwear, one evening camp dress, 2 pairs of thick socks and 2 pairs of thin/liner socks would be my preference, 2 sets of under wear, no camp dress
  • Head lamp leave at home, there is plenty of daylight around in Juli, in emergency case use mobile
  • Sewing kit (hotel size) - if you must
  • Thin thread/rope - For what?
  • Carabiner clips- 3 sizes to attach to backpack -max 1 to use in shower
  • Super glue (10ml) - leave at home, if you really need it (unlikely if you have new equipment) you can always buy it.
  • bungy roap (wrapped around sleeping bag) - for what???
  • Paper clips (to hang clothes on line or attach them to backpack) - You already take safety pins for this
  • Meds: compeed, muscle relaxant, muscle cream, pain killer, after bite cream, eye drops, Make sure you know how to use Compeed! If used wrongly they can do a lot of damage, muscle relaxants/cream, painkiller, after bite cream etc can be all bought in local pharmacies if really needed. Eye drops also, unless you know that you will need them from day 1.
  • Bug repellent - Few mosquitos around and repelling bed bugs - good luck ...
  • ear phones - listen to the sounds of nature, the sounds around you, be aware of where you are, also for safety reasons (traffic accidents!)
  • Spoon, fork, knife - I just take a knife
  • Ziplog for every set of items and 2 garbage bags for additional rain proofing - rubbish bag as back back liner and for those items you can't afford to get wet rubbish bag/zip lock bag, but don't overdo it, these grams do add up

• Plastic cup for drinks ????? - No!
  • Power bank ??????? - No, but a multi-plug to share one outlet with other pilgrims might be appreciated by them
  • Scarf??? - No, you already have a buff But perhaps a sarong style piece of fabric to replace towel, skirt etc.

Was wondering if there's place to purchase a thin sweater or fleece jacket if I got too cold at some point in the evening? Every city and many of the towns will have a shop to buy one of these.

Buen Camino, SY

I'm really speechless you took the time to review this and give me your thoughts :)
What a spirit :) I hope one day I will be able to help others on their way as you just did

I just repacked everything as you suggested and the stuff I took out is more than half the bag :)

For warmth I decided to opt for sleeping bag and fleece blanket as liner. Currently weather in Egypt is around 18c at night so will sleep in the balcony to see if that would work :)

Thanks Everyone for all the valuable comments and thoughts.

A miracle just happened yesterday and I found a poncho - yes, I found a poncho in Egypt in summer (it NEVER RAINS IN EGYPT even in winter; I have no idea why Ikea decided to carry it nevertheless)

So I will keep only half the jacket (the fleece layer since it's the only really warm thing I have) and just use the poncho on top for both me and the backpack

Part of me feels that maybe the cold is just what I have to survive ... it's a pilgrimage after all and not a camping trip! I will just pause worrying about this and start mentally preparing myself for this exciting journey.

It's really been one miracle after another .... can't believe I actually got the Visa!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Yes, I sleep on the floor - just put yoga mat on tile floor and get into sleeping bag if it's too cold but hardly ever.
I'm afraid sleeping pads haven't been invented in Egypt yet :)I bought everyhing last year from India on a trekking trip and that's all I have now.
I think I'm using this advice and taking my mat eventually, unless I get time to grab something from Paris before getting on the bus to SJPP

You can get a sleeping pad at Decathlon in Pamplona (or Paris).

Thanks Everyone for all the valuable comments and thoughts.

A miracle just happened yesterday and I found a poncho - yes, I found a poncho in Egypt in summer (it NEVER RAINS IN EGYPT even in winter; I have no idea why Ikea decided to carry it nevertheless)
In fact, I just about never rains in Egypt! We lived there twice and I can remember that perhaps it rained 3 times!
Anyway, Mary, frankly don't worry too much about the cold, because you are 'walking into Summer'. It will get hotter as you move forward.
If you have the possibility if making a silk sleeping bag liner, then that should provide you with any extra heat you might need.....and it practically weighs nothing!
Do you mean to say there us actually an IKEA in Egypt??? WOW!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Halleluja .... got a sleeping pad too :)

Of course it wasn't a sleeping pad at all ... it is a piece of foam material - sold by building supplies store for insulation, and after some negotiation they agreed to give me a 1m piece out of a 500 m giant roll. I was grateful and speechless.

this forum has been my savior .... I just have to ask and it is LITERALLY given!

As for the silk, that was too far out of season so I'll just live with the fleece blanket and it's really thin and light ... and can throw it away if it turns out too warm

Just for perspective: temperature where I am today is 59 CELSIUS ...I'm sleeping on the tile without even a sheet to try and cool down my body :)
No walking for me until temperature drops a little or I catch the flight ... whatever is sooner

I feel that I'm ready now ... not because of the things in the backpack or from the walking practice ... but because there are so many good wishes on this Camino to make it somehow smooth and doable for everyone .... I really believe that!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.