• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping System Suggestions for Camping on the Frances Trail in May

MiaBu

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi tent people!
I will be doing the Frances beginning around 1 of May. I do bring my UL tent for occasional tent stays. (Yes I know the discussions…)
I was wondering about the climate, I checked the temperatures and it’s seems quite chill in northern Spain. What are your personal experiences about quilts and other sleep systems in May?
BC

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Haven't camped on the Francés in May, but in France on the other side of the border, on the via podiensis. May is a good month for spring camping, but it can still be cold some nights. I used a z-lite and a down sleeping bag and was always warm.
Happy planning and buen Camino :)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Haven't camped on the Francés in May, but in France on the other side of the border, on the via podiensis. May is a good month for spring camping, but it can still be cold some nights. I used a z-lite and a down sleeping bag and was always warm.
Happy planning and buen Camino :)
Sounds quite cold! I was hoping it was getting a bit warmer in Spain. I did not want to bring my down because of the washing (albergues and bed bugs and stuff). My Nemo tensor is a must but I was thinking about a summer sack and a puffy coat. Hopefully the albergues and hotels are open for options

Hi tent people!
I will be doing the Frances beginning around 1 of May. I do bring my UL tent for occasional tent stays. (Yes I know the discussions…)
I was wondering about the climate, I checked the temperatures and it’s seems quite chill in northern Spain. What are your personal experiences about quilts and other sleep systems in May?
BC
I'm going in May and thought the same, I have an ultralight down sleeping bag but to be honest I think I will be cold, I'm debating adding another layer somehow

I'm going in May and thought the same, I have an ultralight down sleeping bag but to be honest I think I will be cold, I'm debating adding another layer somehow
Same temperatures can feel very different in every climate zone. Let’s see if we get any more replies. I am sure some people camped last year!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you want to assess likely night-time temperatures the historic weather records are here: https://en.tutiempo.net/climate/spain.html

The other issue in the length of the CF is the variance in altitude. Comfortable temperatures in the plains of Navarra will not be replicated on the heights of Roncesvalles, Santo Domingo, Belorado & the rest.

I carry a Down sleeping bag always, never a tent.

Two things to consider:
1. A sleep ‘system’ also includes any clothing layer to wear, not just an insulating layer like a jacket, while sleeping to increase the lower usability temperature limits of any sleeping bag or quilt.
2. You do not deal with bed bugs by washing. Bed bugs survive prolonged dunking quite nicely. They do, however, succumb quite readily to 30 to 40 minutes of high temp dryer heat.

Two things to consider:
1. A sleep ‘system’ also includes any clothing layer to wear, not just an insulating layer like a jacket, while sleeping to increase the lower usability temperature limits of any sleeping bag or quilt.
2. You do not deal with bed bugs by washing. Bed bugs survive prolonged dunking quite nicely. They do, however, succumb quite readily to 30 to 40 minutes of high temp dryer heat.
1: yes, that’s why I asked for experience with sleep systems ;)
2: yes, that’s why I don’t like to take my down to hikes with albergues;) i thought that was clear…

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
What you can try to keep bedbugs out of your gear (prevention):

Bring an extra liner/cheap lightweight sleeping bag and some very lightweight pyjamas that are used for sleeping indoors only. Nothing else touches the bed (valuables in closed ziploc bag)! Next morning, that liner+pyjamas go into a waterproof stuff sack (that has been sprayed with permethrin) before putting them back into your backpack.

That way bedbugs trying to travel with you unnoticed will stay in the closed, sprayed bag, and hopefully die during the day, before you unpack again at the next albergue. If you start to notice bites during the day, that way you only need to decontaminate the items that are already isolated in the bag. Saves a lot of work.

Also, put your backpack into a large garbage bag or dry sack at night, so that bed bugs can't climb in.

This system doesn't guarantee you won't get bitten, but you're less likely to carry them with you, and your other gear is less likely to get infested.

What you can try to keep bedbugs out of your gear (prevention):

Bring an extra liner/cheap lightweight sleeping bag and some very lightweight pyjamas that are used for sleeping indoors only. Nothing else touches the bed (valuables in closed ziploc bag)! Next morning, that liner+pyjamas go into a waterproof stuff sack (that has been sprayed with permethrin) before putting them back into your backpack.

That way bedbugs trying to travel with you unnoticed will stay in the closed, sprayed bag, and hopefully die during the day, before you unpack again at the next albergue. If you start to notice bites during the day, that way you only need to decontaminate the items that are already isolated in the bag. Saves a lot of work.

Also, put your backpack into a large garbage bag or dry sack at night, so that bed bugs can't climb in.

This system doesn't guarantee you won't get bitten, but you're less likely to carry them with you, and your other gear is less likely to get infested.
the bag and sheet I am with you! But permethrin I would never use. I love nature… and especially if you are siding your gear outside as well or wash it after, all the poison goes to nature…

Even without the permethrin you'll at least be able to isolate the most "dangerous" items (everything that touches the bed) with the technique I described and if you start to notice bites, you need to wash/dry the albergue-sleeping gear only, instead of having to decontaminate everything including backpack, tent, down bag...

If you want something more natural than permethrin, the outdoor shop in St. Jean sells a natural anti bed bug product called "Clako punaises" (https://clako-punaises.com/).

I'm in a similar position, planning to camp on the Francés when it's possible next time I walk again, and don't want to lose my gear because of bed bugs. Can't tumble dry a tent... so I plan to bring two completely seperate sleep systems for outdoors/indoors. I'm allergic to bed bug bites, so I'm a bit over cautious and happy to carry some extra gear to avoid them.

Hope you'll have a great, bed bug free Camino and good weather for some wonderful nights in your tent :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
2: yes, that’s why I don’t like to take my down to hikes with albergues;) i thought that was clear…
I toook a down throw as part of my sleeping system on a few caminos but stayed in albergues. On two caminos I got bed bugs. I think what Dave Bugg was pointing out is that all you need to kill bed bugs is to put your down bag in a hot dryer. It worked for me. No need to wash it. Same with your down jacket. Have fun, I envy you.

oh yes, i am allergic too, but two sleep systems are really heavy. I know what you mean about the tent. The would probably not survive the tumbler. Down does not I feel it loses every time I heat it wash it. But maybe it’s the only way. I would actually freeze the tent probably when I get home. I freeze everything I cannot wash or tumble. Lol, just thinking about it I want to camp!

I think what Dave Bugg was pointing out is that all you need to kill bed bugs is to put your down bag in a hot dryer. It worked for me. No need to wash it. Same with your down jacket.
If you wish, you can wash your down items according to manufacturer's instructions after you tumble your down items in a hot dryer for half an hour to kill bedbugs

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hmm? Not sure why a question about supplementary equipment for comfortable sleeping in a tent has drifted into a discussion about Bed-bugs but "so it goes" sometimes.

The OP appears to have made up their mind as to what they are prepared to do which leaves me wondering "why ask the question" unless they're just seeking confirmation of their own position.

You said Wash. Using a dryer to heat a Dry down bag to kill bed bugs is easy. 👌

A sleep system is all resources that can be worn or cocooned in or sheltered under.

My PCT thru hike used a light down sleeping quilt and layers.

Last edited:
Hmm? Not sure why a question about supplementary equipment for comfortable sleeping in a tent has drifted into a discussion about Bed-bugs but "so it goes" sometimes.

The OP appears to have made up their mind as to what they are prepared to do which leaves me wondering "why ask the question" unless they're just seeking confirmation of their own position.
Quite condescending, bye

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OP was asking about sleep systems for camping but was also worried about getting bed bugs in their warm down bag (which they were considering using for camping as well as albergues, as I understood?). Valid question and concerns, and answers and advice were given to both.

Why the need for such a harsh comment?

@MiaBu, there's a lot of information to be found in this forum, and usually the tone is friendly. I'm sorry you got such a snarky remark.

OP was asking about sleep systems for camping but was also worried about getting bed bugs in their warm down bag (which they were considering using for camping as well as albergues, as I understood?). Valid question and concerns, and answers and advice were given to both.

Why the need for such a harsh comment?

@MiaBu, there's a lot of information to be found in this forum, and usually the tone is friendly. I'm sorry you got such a snarky remark.
Thank you :) I found it quite a good conversation til that remark… but I don’t have the energy for these kinda people trying to find faults in other people to make themselves feel better.
I did find loads of information so far. I was just eager to exchange all Infos with camp friends about sleep systems in general. It’s a pitty some people can’t just stay away when the topic does not concern them.
Thank you for saying that!

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.