• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeping under the stars!

Jan_89

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés: July/August 2014

Camino Francés: May/June 2017
Hi all!

I'm wondering.. Is there any problem if I'll sleep under the stars? I mean, will be disturb locals? Because I love this kind of sleep on the road..;)

And one last question. What about showers? I know there are in albergues.. But it is possible to meet a public shower or something like that?

I don't want to be dependent on the albergues..

Thanks a lot for your responses! :)

Jan

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I never saw public showers, so albergues may be your only choice.

There are laws against camping on private property or within a couple of kilometers of a campground. However, I have seen only one camper confronted by the authorities. It was in Portomarin in a park, so he was in a city, not rural location.

Apart from on private land, public land, national and local parks, designated areas of natural or cultural significance and within urban areas you can camp anywhere in Spain. You may notice that this will limit your prospects somewhat. However, discrete overnight camping avoiding crops, and please remember that both grassland and woodland are often crops, is possible. Provided local tolerance has not been overtested you should have an un disturbed night. Many do sleep in church porches and similar, from choice or necessity. My experience is as Falcon's I have not encountered public baths / shower facilities in Spain other than the very public showers dotting the beaches of the costas and in a few major rail stations.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We, like Tincatinker, have only seen shower facilities by a few of the beaches and some of those were open air and not heated. These were on the Norte and also (only open air) the Inglés. This is obviously not an option inland on the Francés.

Apart from on private land, public land, national and local parks, designated areas of natural or cultural significance and within urban areas you can camp anywhere in Spain. You may notice that this will limit your prospects somewhat. However, discrete overnight camping avoiding crops, and please remember that both grassland and woodland are often crops, is possible. Provided local tolerance has not been overtested you should have an un disturbed night. Many do sleep in church porches and similar, from choice or necessity. My experience is as Falcon's I have not encountered public baths / shower facilities in Spain other than the very public showers dotting the beaches of the costas and in a few major rail stations.
That's interesting. I was told by more than one person and maybe even read it jna guide that wild camping in Spain is illegal no matter where you do it. I did it anyway but was always feeling like I was breaking the law. Obviously were I to ask about private property it would be different. I did in fact and never got a concrete answer from locals. I got some funny responses actually.
Do you know where i might verify this? It would be very useful.

I was under the impression that it varied region to region. When I was researching my Salvador trip I found a very good guide on a motorcycle forum to local camping laws across Spain. Cant find the link though. If I remember right, Leon was legal but across the border into Asturias was illegal (or vice versa maybe).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you so much for your answers, guys! I appreciate it!

But I didn't think camping, I thought bivouac, you know.. Somewhere out of the road to get some sleep and get out from there soon. No fire, tent and no noise.. Just sleeping bag and sleeping pad..:)

In September 2013 I met a woman on the CF whose adult son was "hammock camping" along the trail! When she was faced with a night on the gym floor in Zubiri, she texted him and he appeared with his sleeping mat for her, before he took off for the trees!

Are there enough trees along most of the route to make a hammoc possible most nights?
I too, am hoping to simply sleep outside most nights just me and my sleeping bag... also having very little success figuring out the logistics and legality.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I considered a hammock on my first Camino and was happy I left it home.
No, there are pretty much no places to hang.
Sorry

Thanks Anniesantiago- I seem to remember limited trees when I lived in Northern Spain... glad to know my memory hasn't failed me yet. (caught myself dreaming about how much more comfortable this would be than the hard, damp ground) ::sigh::

Thanks for the help! :)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back