• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleepwear?

brooke

In all the equipment posts I have seen no one has suggested bringing sleepwear.
Do people sleep in their hiking clothes for the next day (hopefully clean) or nothing (hopefully not) or do they bring sleepwear and just not list it?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Many females did have sleepwear of some sort, eg a longish light t-shirt, (which could always be pressed into service as an extra daytime layer if needed on cooler days). Some changed into a light pair of pyjamas. A few perhaps wore clothes they would wear next day, but I tend to get quite warm and didn't fancy this option.
Margaret

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I found sleeping in the clean clothes I would be walking in the next day a most practical option. No undressing/dressing problems in a mixed dorm, and virtually no packing in the morning. If it was warm I just left my sleeping bag unzipped and was quite comfortable.
Sandra :arrow:

I start walking next week - so I appreciate all your help.
I decided to bring my lightest PJ bottoms (3 oz) and wear a t-shirt for the next day. This way I have something to wear while my clothes dry. And as I remember from 2006, more than 100 people can share a room.

Brooke

I too slept in next day's clothes. But also for those nights and days when it was bitterly cold, I also had ultra-light long underwear (tops and bottoms) to sleep in and wear under my clothes the next day. Came in handy a few times.

lynne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wear an extremely lightweight pair of silk long underwear and a lightweight, synthetic t-shirt.

I have just bought Trekmate longjohns and long sleeved T-shirt. I can wear them for practise walks during the winter, but my main aim is to use them as pyjamas. Weights are 120gms and 110gms, wicking, quick drying etc. I have bought larger than usual for more comfort as sleepwear.
On cold days if really needed on the Camino (May 2010) I can wear the long sleeve-T as an extra layer, over my shirt and under my fleece; but I'm hoping I won't need to.

brooke said:
Do people sleep in ... nothing (hopefully not) or do they bring sleepwear and just not list it?

Only once or twice did I see men sleep in their God Given pyjamas. I will not mention their nationality, but I will say that it is the same nationality that don't shower very frequently.

These individuals may have had bodies like Michael Angelo's David in their youth, but at their life stage, they were nothing to look at.

David, Victoria, Canada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just to add to my previous post:-
I have a lightweight Rohan dress which I use for going to the showers when caravanning. It is easier than trying to keep trousers off a damp floor. I plan to use it on the Camino for warm evenings; while my other clothes dry; as nightwear on warmer nights.
Most of us probably are making dual use of day wear as sleepwear and haven't listed it seperately so thanks for raising this Brooke, it made me stop and really think it through

( I say, Which nation's citizens don't shower regularly? ? )

HHmm ... This sleepwear question does come up quite often and is usually answered by very sloppy people who feel it is quite normal to sleep in the clothes they will be wearing the next day.

Now, this may be permissable for those from some of our younger democracies and newly freed colonies (within the last three hundred years) but for those from a civilised nation (and there is only one of course) this will just not do at all.

At all refugios one is expected to wear a decent pair of flanelette pyjamas at the very least.
Silk can be worn of course, but as tailored pyjamas only, not as skin-fitting long underwear, and only - and I must stress this - only when worn with a Fez, whilst smoking a Turkish cigarette, and holding (languidly) a gin and tonic (in one of the glasses your servant will be carrying for you).

A dressing gown can be considered as optional only by the very avant-garde (how would it be if there were a fire?) so, not knowing who you are, I must tell you that the norm - ask any pilgrim - is a tartan wool dressing gown with gold piping (weighs a mere 2.3765478632 kgs).

This is the absolute minimum that can be worn at night whilst on Camino.

However, to really fit in and to feel quite at home and relaxed in all eventualities allow me to suggest that a pair of plain Morroccan leather slippers would complete the ensemble - but plain slippers mind you, not tooled with any fancy decoration or design - you do not want to appear foolish after all, heaven fordbid.

Take this advice and I assure you that you will have a most memorable pilgrimage (as will the other pilgrims that you meet each evening).

I do hope that this helps.

Br David ........HHmm ... This sleepwear question does come up quite often and is usually answered by very sloppy people who feel it is quite normal to sleep in the clothes they will be wearing the next day.........
Some of us however are just trying to take versatile clothing which keeps the weight in our rucksacks down.

Lacking the suggested items perhaps I should look for a Fez to use as a sunhat :D .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The Fez may work, but only if worn jauntily to the side; preferably the one from where the sun is shining.

It is interesting what some will choose for sleeping attire in a public situation. There are those who are comfortable just being themselves and forcing everyone else to accept it. Others are governed by social mores and behave accordingly. Best to follow/do what is comfortable and don't be surprised when others do the same. I mean, except when wearing a fez; that must be red regardless.

Thank you for the humor Br D.

Michael

Tia Valeria said:
Br David ........HHmm ... This sleepwear question does come up quite often and is usually answered by very sloppy people who feel it is quite normal to sleep in the clothes they will be wearing the next day.........
Some of us however are just trying to take versatile clothing which keeps the weight in our rucksacks down.

eerrmmm .. humour? ... :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

:| :|

I was astonished by the number of people who brought pajamas and I even saw a few bathrobes! I usually wore a tee shirt and underwear. If it was cold, pulled on my fleece top and/or very lightweight fleece bottoms. Simply pulled on my socks and pants the next morning, slipped on my boots and after a quick trip to the bathroom, was good to go. I kept my toothbrush and paste in my pack lid so no scrambling around looking for them in the evening or early the next morning.

I dismantled my poles and packed them inside my pack. No questions at security when I took my pack on board. I did have the rubber tips on them.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...