• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sleeves

Angie94

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - 2016 www.angie-carter.com/camino
https://youtu.be/PtE_hvREZc4
Wanted to check out my new "sleeves" on an early morning hike to see if they keep the chill off. They did great! and when I started to warm up I just pulled them off while I kept walking (and if it gets chilly or windy I can just slip them back on.) It was a beautiful day for a 14 mile hike, and not a bad way to spend my 55th b-day!! So happy I was off work. Four weeks to go...:)

Attachments

• sleeve re.jpg
    sleeve re.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 80
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I've been using this system for all three of my previous Caminos and it works great, temperature control without having to remove the backpack. This year I have purchased some purpose made arm warmers and they are just perfect - extremely lightweight and pack away very small.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I've been using this system for all three of my previous Caminos and it works great,
you are the very reason I even got these!:) I had read your blog and thought it was a fantastic idea!

Do you plan on using them for sun protection too?
Yes, I thought they might work well for that too!

Ditto here!! I've done it twice...and will again..and will always recommend arm "warmers" to any and all! Even when they got lost towards the end of the Frances, the Camino provided! The next day was Astoria, with three cycling shops! Bought a new pair that became my "souvenir" from the Camino :)

Wanted to check out my new "sleeves" on an early morning hike to see if they keep the chill off. They did great! and when I started to warm up I just pulled them off while I kept walking (and if it gets chilly or windy I can just slip them back on.) It was a beautiful day for a 14 mile hike, and not a bad way to spend my 55th b-day!! So happy I was off work. Four weeks to go...:)

I see they are marked 'COOL'. Are they not meant for sun protection and to cool your skin, instead of to warm your skin?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You are correct...I was just seeing if these might work for keeping the chill off as well as sun protection. I need to look at a different sleeve if looking for real warmth.
Unless you are hiking in really cold weather, you likely will not need both arm warmers and arm coolers. Just use the arm coolers to keep the chill off in early morning. Unless you are sweating while outdoors in cool weather (ie - cross-country skiing where you will work up a sweat) these will keep you warm in the cooler hours, later when it warms up evaporative and wicking action will help to keep you cool. Dip the sleeves in cool water and replace on your arms to increase the cooling effect.
Janice

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe just wear long sleeve shirts............and roll the sleeves up when warm :rolleyes:

I never took any short sleeves..... :oops:

I'm intrigued by the cooling effect. I always assumed it was more marketing than fact after trying a bandana that was supposed to be "cooling". It was thick, heavy, and not nearly as effective as the marketing led me to believe. Thus, like Robo, I've always just used a long-sleeve backpacking shirt and rolled up the sleeves when warm, or wetted them down for evaporative cooling.

However, if the technology has advanced in the past six or so years, then I'm game to try again. Does the cooling effect genuinely work better than, say, just wetting down the sleeves on a backpacking shirt?

Also, how light or heavy is the fabric?

Last edited:
However, if the technology has advanced in the past six or so years, then I'm game to try again. Does the cooling effect genuinely work better than, say, just wetting down the sleeves on a backpacking shirt?

Someone with experience will have to reply to that as I have not tried them for the cooling effect, but I will do so this weekend as it is suppose to be quite warm and I am hiking.
I was experimenting with them for the 'layering' effect under a long sleeve shirt. It the morning I had my sleeves rolled down, and these sleeves underneath and it worked out quite well. Then I warmed up and took them off and rolled up my sleeves.
The fabric of the ones I got is very lightweight...I ordered them (new) off ebay for about $3.00. They stayed up very well (stretchy synthetic material) but not too snug. These are not the high dollar kind from outdoor shops, but they worked for what I wanted them for.

There certainly is a lot of back and forth of what to take, what not to take, what works for one but not someone else. It is adventure in itself trying out new things and ideas to see what works. I have had fun reading all the tips and techniques from experienced hikers and implementing some of those for myself - and even throwing a few of my own in the mix! :)
Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
https://www.rei.com/product/894799/outdoor-research-activeice-sun-sleeves

These are similar to the first pair I had (mine were shorter, without the thumb hole). Very light material, soft, kinda a cross between a cotton-tshirt & tech tshirt. They come in different sizes, based on your bicep size. And the cooling works! Once, hiking in Sedona, I dunked my arms in a warm creek and my arms became chilled! I don't know how many washes the cooling effect lasts thru but it's many. I mostly wear them for sun protection as I find long sleeved shirts just too warm.

I'm intrigued by the cooling effect. I always assumed it was more marketing than fact after trying a bandana that was supposed to be "cooling". It was thick, heavy, and not nearly as effective as the marketing led me to believe. Thus, like Robo, I've always just used a long-sleeve backpacking shirt and rolled up the sleeves when warm, or wetted them down for evaporative cooling.

Depending on the long sleeve t-shirt you wear you will be cooler wearing it, and cooler when wet. Arm sleeves however use fabric technology that increase the surface area many times greater, and this improves the evaporative and wicking features which increase cooling effects. Some manufactures such as Columbia, and that Activeice in the REI link below, use a chemical that actually lowers the temperature of water (sweat). And they offer sun protection. I am actually scrambling to find something like the Activeice before Tuesday when I leave for El Camino. I have some arm sleeves, but they are black and do not have the chemical cooling technology, nor are they the color for reflecting sun.
Janice

Depending on the long sleeve t-shirt you wear you will be cooler wearing it, and cooler when wet. Arm sleeves however use fabric technology that increase the surface area many times greater, and this improves the evaporative and wicking features which increase cooling effects. Some manufactures such as Columbia, and that Activeice in the REI link below, use a chemical that actually lowers the temperature of water (sweat). And they offer sun protection. I am actually scrambling to find something like the Activeice before Tuesday when I leave for El Camino. I have some arm sleeves, but they are black and do not have the chemical cooling technology, nor are they the color for reflecting sun.
Janice
Link??

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.