• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Sling bag or daypack?

jo webber

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 9th 2017
Due to possible back issues there will be days I will need to have my backpack transported. Rather than a small daypack I am thinking about a sling bag. It would, I think, be easier to carry. Then I start thinking about what I will need just for a day! Sun hat or warm hat, water, snacks or lunch, wind breaker (?), rain poncho (?), meds, wallet, phone, poles, change of socks. The list goes on.

A sling bag would also double as a carry around for evenings and seeing the sights.

What do I really need to take for a day? For a long day with no cafes? Is it ok to have my meds transported in my pack?

Thanks in advance.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The reason I may be unable to carry a full backpack is due to compressed discs in my lower back causing a pinched sciatic nerve at times. So a lumbar pack puts the weight in just the wrong place. I love the waist packs I have had in the past, they just don't work for me any longer.

The sling bag is to carry just a bit of stuff when I need to transport my backpack. I'm trying not to over think this. LOL. I always overthink things.

I have that Patagonia sling pack and I LOVE it. However, the capacity isn't that much so I'm not sure it would work on a day's trek if I had to bring snacks, extra clothes, hat, etc. The poles and water bottle wouldn't fit (you'd have to carry them in your hands). Patagonia used to make a larger sling pack, though - you could go to REI and see what's available.

Have fun shopping and Buen Camino! :)

I can't imagine the asymmetrical sling bag being better for a bad back than a properly fitting backpack.

I recommend getting a good lightweight backpack, no more than 40 L, that CAN hold all your things (I love my Osprey Talon 33, about 900 g.) Include a lightweight stuff bag or dry bag that is almost as large. When you want transport assistance, put those things into the stuff bag and send it forward. Carry your good pack with whatever you need for the day. This will give you the most comfort and flexibility.

It is a mistake to use an inferior bag as your day bag, and use a good backpack to transport things in a van!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
C clearly, you are way more logical than I am. I "heart" you!!!

Any second bag I carry will weight something. Can I send my stuff on a transport in a plastic trash bag? These weigh almost nothing, so I could carry one or two at a time.

Forgot: I have an Osprey Mira 32L. Love the pack and it works perfect for lifting the weight off me. However there are times when I do something a bit wrong (it can be anything or nothing) and my sciatic nerve starts screaming.

Going up hill has been the issue. I am arranging to go to the mountains again to practice this month.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Any second bag I carry will weight something. Can I send my stuff on a transport in a plastic trash bag? These weigh almost nothing, so I could carry one or two at a time.

Forgot: I have an Osprey Mira 32L. Love the pack and it works perfect for lifting the weight off me. However there are times when I do something a bit wrong (it can be anything or nothing) and my sciatic nerve starts screaming.

But will the plastic be sturdy enough when transported? Possible tearing ?

I had similar back issues a few years back that almost completely immobilized me, so I shopped very carefully for my backpack, and chose the ultra light ZPack Arc Blast. It was perfect for me, I walked 600 miles and I only had back twinges the last 2 days. I did travel with only the basics.

It's pricey, and they only sell online. They take measurements, and mine works perfectly. I've been back a year now, and I've ditched my older day packs and now only use this one. Bonus: it's waterproof too.

Buen Camino, and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

We have a sack that works, a sleeping bag came inside it and it opens to about a 40L sack (Sea to Summit & very light weight). I took out all the stuff I would send ahead, 4.5 lbs. My pack with everything, including water, weighs 7.5 lbs. The rain poncho is heavy and could be sent ahead if the forecast was for a nice day all the way.

Super light pack.
Good trekking poles. (need to practice with them)
Use poles, tiny steps, go slow, switch back the steep parts, rest as needed before I get too tired, rest twice as long as I think I should.

If I weren't determined, read stubborn, I would have given up long ago. If I hadn't found this forum with all the great people, I would have started and ended my Camino in a day.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Due to possible back issues there will be days I will need to have my backpack transported. Rather than a small daypack I am thinking about a sling bag. It would, I think, be easier to carry. Then I start thinking about what I will need just for a day! Sun hat or warm hat, water, snacks or lunch, wind breaker (?), rain poncho (?), meds, wallet, phone, poles, change of socks. The list goes on.

A sling bag would also double as a carry around for evenings and seeing the sights.

What do I really need to take for a day? For a long day with no cafes? Is it ok to have my meds transported in my pack?

Thanks in advance.
What route are you doing?
You will need to carry some water. A liter alone weighs 2.2lbs. I would say a lightweight small, proper fitting backpack would fit your daily needs and still take pressure off your lumbar region. The lightest bag you can find that still has a good hip belt. Otherwise, you'll just end up putting the strain back on your shoulders and back.

Thanks in advance.

It seems the sling bag puts all the weight and strain on one shoulder as minimal as it may be, there is still an uneven balance to it. To me that would raise a warning that even though light in weight, eventually more back problems will arise. My vote is a two shoulder strap day pack

I recently saw this very lightweight (3 ounce) packable duffel in a local store, and think it would be perfect for your purposes. It packs down to about the size of a large lemon.
http://lewisnclark.com/electrolight-duffel/

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Thanks in advance.

If you need medication you should carry at least one dose with you - similarly if you are checking in a bag for your flight, carry the medicine with you.

You know what they used to say about BOAC (and, more recently British Airways) . . . breakfast in London, dinner in New York, baggage in Bermuda!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I have used a bag like this for transporting gear. Hardly weighs anything and is strong.

s-l225.jpg

Use your actual 'back pack' to carry what you can manage.

In our quest to provide helpful information I'm afraid we may have lost sight of the original question.

@jo webber is having the bulk of her gear transported for her. She is asking about a means to convey just enough stuff to get by for one -- repeat, one -- day; to get her from one albergue to the next. Period. Paragraph. End of story.

@jo webber, I may have the same problem that you do (L5/S1 bulging disc). In my experience, when the sciatica flares, a one-shoulder sling bag probably won't prove to be significantly different from a "regular" daypack. You may -- repeat, may -- be better-served by a daypack that also has a weight-supporting hip belt. OR a waist pack that doesn't place pressure on the damaged disc.

My condolences, and best wishes.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
In 2014, I had a nice pack from SJPP to Pamplona, but the shoulder pain was just too much. A diagnosis a year later explained pain. Anyway, I jettisoned pack and most contents at albergue then purchased a cheap daypack at a China store in Pampy. I carried two clothing changes, sleeping bag, toiletries, and a few knicks and knacks. I doubt pack weighed more than 6 or 7 pounds. That pack made it from Pamplona to Fisterra. If you don't need a lot of stuff a daypack can work fine.

When having your bag transported you would still carry 2 litres of water, snacks, lunch, valuables, sunscreen, potentially a warm top, potentially waterproofs, guidebook, and small supply of medications.

Hard to see this fitting in a pack under 20 litres. The benefits of a two strap daypack with a hip belt are that you can tighten the shoulder straps or the hip belt to give you a bit of a change where the load is carried. So your Osprey Mira sounds perfect.

Ideally pack weight should be higher up and nearer your back, so pull in the straps to cinch up the bag. If it is still drooping with the weight at the bottom, stuff the bottom with bubble wrap.

€46,-
Going up hill has been the issue. I am arranging to go to the mountains again to practice this month.
Yep, you and I essentially have the same problem/issue. Uphill = very much pain. Downhill = "AHHHH!"

One more thing: on which side (left or right) is the sciatica? If you can get a one-shoulder sling-bag that rests on the opposite shoulder, maybe your issue is minimized. (Emphasis on 'maybe'.)

I still advocate for a pack with a hipbelt that fits BELOW the injury site, tricky though that may be. (You oughta see the rig that I first used when I started backpacking in the Eighties...!)

Regards and condolences,

-- Glenn

Last edited:
The answer is simple. Just take me with you and I will carry whatever you need everyday. Done. I'm on Camino now and had to carry 2 packs at once so I have experience.
You are one strong lady !!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
True story...2 backpacks

I believe you, I saw it two times on the Camino Frances last year, but it was because one person as injured and couldn't care and the other was one from a person being sick with the flu and to weak to carry theirs. No matter the reason ... still very IMPRESSIVE ! I think a name change is in order for you to IRONWOMAN ...lol :)

Last edited:
I velieve you, I saw it two times on the Camino Frances last year, but it was because one person as injured and couldn't care and the other was one from a person being sick with the flu and to weak to carry theirs. No matter the reason ... still very IMPRESSIVE ! I think a name change is in order for you to IRONWOMAN ...lol :)
I like that name...thanks. I didn't do it for fun either. My boyfriend got sick after we had walked 43 kilometers and I had to help him the last kilometer.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@SusanPaulus:

I've been known to carry three or four heavily-loaded duffel bags. But of course, I bear more than a passing resemblance to a pack-mule; you don't!:D

Well-done.

Attachments

• Glenn the Pack-Mule.jpg
    Glenn the Pack-Mule.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 23
I took a sling pack similiar to yours and LOVED it! Very comfortable even when stuffed full. I modified mine a little by sewing velcro loops on the sides to attach my poles- but admit I never used it. My favorite thing was the little pocket on the front strap. Big enough for my hankie and a quick retrieval of my phone for pictures. I also wore a front bum bag for $$, credentials, and passport. For me, this was a perfect set up.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I still advocate for a pack with a hipbelt that fits BELOW the injury site, tricky though that may be.
Yes, that would be very tricky. My Osprey is a zero gravity pack. 32L and is sort of full, but not quite. I have made sure to get the lightest items possible to carry. Next week we will go back to the mountains and I will learn to use my trekking poles.

Go slow.
Zig zag up hills.
Use the poles.
Go slow.
Go slow.
Send a bag ahead as needed.

Hi. I've been stalking this site for two years now and must first offer my deepest gratitude to those of you who have provided such wonderful tips and encouragement! It's not often I have anything to add to your posts, but I do have a tip for you, Jo!
Last year I carried my soft goods in a Sea to Summit Lightweight Dry Sack inside my backpack. My objective was twofold: 1) keep things dry ;-) and, 2) in properly closing the dry sack (and forcing all the air out), I effectively compressed my soft goods and created a more compact, stable pack. The dry sack weighs nothing and gave me peace of mind.
When I ran into some health issues that demanded I lighten my load for a few days, it was easy to take the dry sack out of the pack (once properly packed, it creates its own handle), tag it and let the luggage service d' jour carry it ahead for me. I kept my daily essentials in my now super-lightweight backpack!
Best wishes in your quest!

http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Lightweight+Dry+Sack+&o1=0&o2=0&o3=161-19

We have a fairly light bag from Rohan which might suit for a 'send on' bag and ourselves carry the very light sea to summit silsac day-pack (not the dry sac) for times when not carrying our full packs, which a search shows is also available at REI

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
... and ourselves carry the very light sea to summit silsac day-pack (not the dry sac) for times when not carrying our full packs...

Unless you've already used the referenced day-pack, please take notice. Since said pack doesn't appear to have a padded back or anything resembling a frame, everything inside the main pocket will probably - and quickly - form an amorphous lump in the bottom. Many people, including both my wife and me, find this phenomenon physically uncomfortable and personally/organizationally intolerable.

To be clear, my wife and I did not carry/use this particular day-pack; our frameless/unpadded "packaway-packs" came from another trusted vendor. Mine went to Goodwill after two day-trips. My wife lugged hers all through central Europe before doing away with it.

I'm not saying "don't use it"; I'm only saying "be aware of this matter", if you don't already know about it.

Properly packed there is no problem. My own 'gripe' is that without a frame it can stick to my back and be sweaty, my husband does not have that problem. Any frameless pack is the same for me, which is why personally I would carry my framed pack as a day pack and send the Rohan type bag ahead if I was walking again. The day sac is great for me for short walks or sightseeing.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.