• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slipping in boots

brawblether

Time of past OR future Camino
June/Jul 2012; Feb 2014
I've read a lot of the threads here about trainers v boots, socks, airing your feet, etc etc and it's been great. I was convinced I'd go in trail shoes (I'm Australian btw, so for anyone who doesn't know these are basically trainers for walking) but decided to buy boots to see how I went in them training wise. I've six months before I leave (going in June/July, 700kms, first time I've ever done anything like this) and so I've a little time up my sleeve to test things out...but I don't have an infinite bank account. I can't tell you how much I've already spent on socks and shoes. So...I've bought a pair of uni-sex boots (the light weight and female ones didn't fit my wide foot) which I suspect are too large but before I ditch them and look for another pair I want to really try and make these work. The reason I went with them so large is that I know my feet swell and the size down fit too snugly in the shop. Now when I walk uphill these ones are fine, it's when I'm on the flat and going downhill that my foot just slips in them and my toes smash into the front. I've tried lacing them differently, that just hurts my ankles...does anyone have any other suggestions? I think the socks I'm currently wearing aren't helping and will change to thicker and hopefully less slippery but otherwise i'm not sure of what to do. (NB I haven't walked longer than an hour in them as I'm still breaking them in but today I did two x 20mins walks and wouldn't want to have gone much further as I was slipping really badly and it was affecting my gait...so I haven't walked in them with swollen feet).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
brawblether said:
Now when I walk uphill these ones are fine, it's when I'm on the flat and going downhill that my foot just slips in them and my toes smash into the front. I've tried lacing them differently, that just hurts my ankles...does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hola - you don't say when you are going on camino so hopefully you will have time to sort this out. And you really need to sort it out as ill fitting shoes and toes bashing into the toe box will cause all sorts of problems particularly painful blisters, losing toe nails etc. There is plenty of walking on the flat and uphill on the Camino routes. You will find much advice on this forum but I would start by trying two pairs of socks - an inner thinner sock and a good wool outer sock which is designed for walking. Don't lace up too tightly but laced up your foot should hold in place. Try walking at some length 3 or 4 hours and try this a few times and see how you get on. If the problem persists you are going to have to start again by going to a reputable shop and having your feet measured then trying out various types of footwear until you settle on one which will work for you. I know this may lead to extra expense but it is an investment you will deeply regret not making if you have feet problems on Camino. I say this from experience :(

Let us know how you get on please.

John

You will find a lot of recommendations to buy boots that are too large. When you do, your foot will slide around. Sliding is friction. Friction is blisters.

Wear your walking sock combination, and buy the boots that fit perfectly. If your feet swell, and that often occurs only after you have removed your boots, remove your liner socks and/or loosen the laces (your foot length will not "swell" so loosening the laces will only adjust laterally).

Toes striking the end of the boots on the downhill is common, and is rarely related to boot size. It is related to lacing technique and tightness, so continue to work on that.

Trekking poles will reduce the impact of each step, and will help you reduce the impact on your toes of the downhill stretches. Impacting the end of your boots will result in bruises under your toenails and even the loss of the nails, so you need to prevent it. Runners have found that socks with five toes help. Merino wool between the toes may reduce the impact. Lacing helps. Trekking poles help. It all will start with properly fittings boots, though, so stop buying the ones that are too large!!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
If you google 'how to lace walking boots' you'll get a lot of helpful information, for example this link:

http://www.backpacker.com/skills-how-to ... eshows/143

I would follow the advice that John and Falcon have given re wearing two pairs of socks and trying to wear them for 3 or 4 hours at a time. It's possible that you're experiencing some pain as the boots break in and that with thicker and more pairs of socks as well as different lacing you'll be OK. If you have any bruises or sore bits, wait a day or two before you wear them again.

Your Camino will not be good if your boots are causing you pain (although remember that there will be some pain even with perfect footwear) so if nothing works with them, you'll have to change them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on,

Andy

I wore snug fitting boots on the Norte in 2009. BIG MISTAKE. After 3 days my feet swelled up and stayed that way. I lost the nails on both little toes.

Since then I have worn boots a half size too big and all has been well.

As for socks, I tried 1000 mile socks this year and found them to be good for me.

Your mileage may vary

I'm determined to give this boots thing a decent go before reverting back to the trainers option (my concerns with trainers are that they will let water in immediately as they have a mesh top, and offer a lot less support. They are, however, VERY comfortable and I've walked hours in them without a problem).

I might consider buying one last pair of boots as you've suggested becuase from what you've told me they are just too big. These ones pinch at the sides a little too which is only going to get worse I'm sure - as I said, I'm a tough one to fit any shoes to (very wide above the toes, very narrow at the back). I'll also post another thread about keeping feet dry in trainers and see if that helps me out!

Thanks for all your advice! I have found reading this forum invaluable as I am a complete novice and there are so many things I'd never have been aware of. To give up your time to assist others is just fantastic, thank you again!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi there brawbiether, honestly i spent so much $$ on boots and socks before i left it was ridiculous, someone at the op shop is walking around in really good boots!! i ended up walking in northface as they had the widest toe box i could find - they were held together with superglue by the end of 800 kms and i only lost 2 toe nails and had two small blisters on the heels.
Since returning from the walk i have continued the search for that perfect boot in preparation for my next walk... i came across unisex boots, oh joy of joys, room to spread the toes! I bought AKU's from Snowgums in sydney, australia.
I would recommend some very thick padded socks to help with slipping - i used some that i ended up importing from the States as they were the thickest i could find.
Also really do look into the different tying methods, i couldn't believe the difference that made so simple and cheap but effective.
cheers juju

I have wide feet too but can tie my laces tight enough to stop any slipping. I am a 3 sock combination fan so although I still have plenty of wriggle room for my toes the extra sock layer probably helps to keep my ankles padded.
If you use midcalf outer socks maybe you could turn them over to lie just under the tongue of your boots, assuming these actually come over your ankles, (if they don't that may be the problem). My other suggestion would be to use a length of tubi-grip folded into 3 layers and put it round each ankle to pad the top of the boot and give a comfortable fit.
Hope you find a good solution to your problem without spending a fortune, but money spent on having happy feet is a good investment :)
Buen Camino

This may be too late for the OP but I share your frustration re women's shoes, I have a narrow heel high arch but wide at he toes. My go to for marathons have been saucony but I may be a new balance convert, still waiting for shoes to arrive. This is how i shop: if you go in the store expect that the women's version won't fit in the store as they almost never carry wide even if the shoe is made wide. Ask if it is and if they can get one for you to try. If they say no double ck the company's website. Zappos and several other companies in the states have excellent return policy so often that's what i use. Unfortunately my first love, saucony, does not make a waterproof trail shoe in wide and the men's are too wide---most are too loose in heel,'this is something I use actual stores for,'seeing if a men's shoe will do,'although often they don't carry a men's size small enough even if the company makes them. So my potential new love, coming soon in the mail: water proof trail shoes and hiking shoes in my size in female wide. This company's claim to fame is they make more sizes of more shoes than any other, from tiny narrow male to big wide female, with all sorts of heel to toe width and arch combinations. You won't find something as rugged as real expedition boots but from what I've read here we may not need that.
I have spent my entire military career wearing men's boots and it's never turned out well--I end up having them custom made to meet mil spec but my size and that's very expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Oh for those saying "I want custom boots"' I used a company called dehner (dehner.com) but don't know if they make boots other than riding or military. Immure plenty of others out there, I chose them on a general's recommendation, of course he could better afford it

Thank you for all your helpful ideas. I've tried a few things but have come to the realisation that I can't wear boots. Boots and my feet just do not get along. I slip, or my toes are squished, or I rub too much...so it's going to have to be trainers and I'll just have to deal with rain when it comes!

Think I'll go and open a shoe store now for all the pairs I've bought worn once and won't ever again!

brawblether said:
Thank you for all your helpful ideas. I've tried a few things but have come to the realisation that I can't wear boots. Boots and my feet just do not get along. I slip, or my toes are squished, or I rub too much...so it's going to have to be trainers and I'll just have to deal with rain when it comes!

Think I'll go and open a shoe store now for all the pairs I've bought worn once and won't ever again!

That's a shame, sorry to hear this.
Boot Shops here will allow you to wear them @ home(in the home) & still return them.

& cotswold will make the boot fit your foot too:
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/index.cf ... boots.html

I would persevere, my old scarpa boots took ages & ages 1yr)(& loads of blisters) to fit my foot(ee), they are 15years old now & due for a resole @ feet first. It's definitely an art to get boots to fit funny feet, I'm 3months into braking my new pair in, should be ok by April.

good Luck

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
What a shame so much spent and still no success, I wish it weren't so. My New Balance arrived last night and I am a convert. I'm sending back some shoes only because I ignored their last (shoe toe/heel/arch) guide. The styles recommended for my foot type are the best fit I've ever had, as good as my custom shoes. Their us website shopnewbalance.com has links for overseas customers, so I have a pair of GTX hiking shoes for the 50% raining days predicted and lightwt trail running shoes for the rest. One option I thought I would try if I hadn't found these was trail running shoes with GTX socks so at least my feet stayed dry if not my shoes

falcon269 said:
You will find a lot of recommendations to buy boots that are too large. When you do, your foot will slide around. Sliding is friction. Friction is blisters.
snip
It all will start with properly fittings boots, though, so stop buying the ones that are too large!!
Falcon,
you are right, just buying boots an extra half or full size larger is a bit pointless. My advice is to plan to make the purchase along the following lines:

First, choose a store that has a proper testing ramp - a platform that has a slope that allows you to see that the shoe/boot clears your large toe when you are pushing down into the boot.
Second, plan to get the boot fitted late in the day, and walk as much as possible during the day, including parking well away from the store so that you have a final walk.
Third, take along the thickest pair of socks they you might use, as well as any orthotics etc that you know you will use.
Finally, take time to walk around, use the testing ramp, jump up and down, get the staff to find you a weighted pack back and try walking with that on as well.

Even then, see if the boots can be exchanged if they are not the right size. Consumer laws will differ, but most firms here in Australia will allow an exchange if the boots haven't been worn outside. If my three steps have been followed, it is less likely that the size will be wrong, but it is still possible.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.