• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slovenia to Santiago de Compostela

lovingkindness

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
In April, 2012 Caminka, a medieval enthusiast from Slovenia set off from home for Santiago de Compostela via Venezia. She has now reached Pamplona.

Caminka writes
...I want to start at home and finish in Muxia. And follow a different route, too. Although there is now a waymarked Jakobova pot (Way of st James) across Slovenia, I won't follow it because I prefer following in the steps of one Paolo Santonino, who in 1486-87 travelled two times across Slovenian territory while accompanying his bishop and whose travelling notes and remarks have been preserved to this day. So, from Ljubljana I will go on Passum tulmini, one of the (medieval) routes that connected the middle part of Slovenian territory with Italy - this was the preferred route of Aquileia bishops. From Cividale dei Friuli I will haul S to Aquileia - this is now Cammino Celeste or Iter Aquileiense - then make it over to Venezia on Via Grado-Aquileiense which connect Trieste (and Jakobova pot) with Venezia. From there on I will abandon the most popular route to France which is via Torino and then along Via Domitia. To San Felice del Parano I will be on Via Romea-Leona, then there is a two-day link via Carpi to Parma where I will join Via Francigena till Sarzana. From here along the Ligurian coast runs Via della Costa - which I think is not yet waymarked but there are already good descriptions on the net - although I will skip the first part because I want to walk Cinque Terre's Camino Azzurro. At the French-Italian borfer I will change Via della Costa for Via Aurelia (GR 653A) which is being developped as I write (there is already a preliminary guide available, and maps on the net) until Arles. There I will join one day with Via Tolosana, and from Saint Gilles-du-Gard make may way along the Mediterranean coast to Agde, then skip a little into the interior to Narbonne. Here runs Voie du Piemont Pyreneen but I will join it later, in Mas d'Azil, because I want to see the Cathar castles along Sentier Cathare first. From Mas d'Azil to Arudy is then Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, then I will join Voie d'Osseau until Somport. From here Camino Aragones, but the northern variant via Leyre, to Olatz, where I will hop to GR 220 around Pamplona to join Camino Frances in Huarte and follow it to Pamplona. And here starts perhaps the most abmitious part, Viejo Camino, all the way to Ponferrada where I chose Camino Invierno then Camino Sanabres to end in Santiago. And, of course, the last skip to Fisterra and Muxia. I did some calculations and it came to somewhere about 3300km... Blog

Here is a link to Caminka's excellent blog:

http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

Caminka
Wishing you many Blessings and much Grace as you continue along your Way
Regards
Lovingkindness

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
thank you, lovingkindness and dougfitz!

it was an amazing amazing journey all the way there (and back)! I can't wait to go on another such adventure.

Meeting Caminka was one of the highlights of this year for me. She is a fascinating person, tough as nails and with a very down-to-earth sensibility. And she has this fat, hardbound book, full of notes and wisdom and scribbles, that I would LOVE to pore over on a few rainy afternoons.
She is the only pilgrim I´ve met who has walked the Camino Viejo... my latest preoccupation. Yes, it CAN be done, and it is not all mountain peaks, she says!

Hats off to this long-distance pioneer of the map and compass school. She makes the rest of us look like wusses.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
aww, reb, you make me blush! I am sure I am no extraordinary. I just like really long walks and meeting interesting people. :)
but I will admit I am rather possesive of my camino books. although, the notes are mostly only route description and history related, so I am not sure they would be that awfully interesting.
I have been told of a belgian guy on a bicycle and an italian, I think, guy on foot that have done the camino viejo before me this year.

In April, 2012 Caminka, a medieval enthusiast from Slovenia set off from home for Santiago de Compostela via Venezia. She has now reached Pamplona.

Caminka writes
...I want to start at home and finish in Muxia. And follow a different route, too. Although there is now a waymarked Jakobova pot (Way of st James) across Slovenia, I won't follow it because I prefer following in the steps of one Paolo Santonino, who in 1486-87 travelled two times across Slovenian territory while accompanying his bishop and whose travelling notes and remarks have been preserved to this day. So, from Ljubljana I will go on Passum tulmini, one of the (medieval) routes that connected the middle part of Slovenian territory with Italy - this was the preferred route of Aquileia bishops. From Cividale dei Friuli I will haul S to Aquileia - this is now Cammino Celeste or Iter Aquileiense - then make it over to Venezia on Via Grado-Aquileiense which connect Trieste (and Jakobova pot) with Venezia. From there on I will abandon the most popular route to France which is via Torino and then along Via Domitia. To San Felice del Parano I will be on Via Romea-Leona, then there is a two-day link via Carpi to Parma where I will join Via Francigena till Sarzana. From here along the Ligurian coast runs Via della Costa - which I think is not yet waymarked but there are already good descriptions on the net - although I will skip the first part because I want to walk Cinque Terre's Camino Azzurro. At the French-Italian borfer I will change Via della Costa for Via Aurelia (GR 653A) which is being developped as I write (there is already a preliminary guide available, and maps on the net) until Arles. There I will join one day with Via Tolosana, and from Saint Gilles-du-Gard make may way along the Mediterranean coast to Agde, then skip a little into the interior to Narbonne. Here runs Voie du Piemont Pyreneen but I will join it later, in Mas d'Azil, because I want to see the Cathar castles along Sentier Cathare first. From Mas d'Azil to Arudy is then Voie du Piemont Pyreneen, then I will join Voie d'Osseau until Somport. From here Camino Aragones, but the northern variant via Leyre, to Olatz, where I will hop to GR 220 around Pamplona to join Camino Frances in Huarte and follow it to Pamplona. And here starts perhaps the most abmitious part, Viejo Camino, all the way to Ponferrada where I chose Camino Invierno then Camino Sanabres to end in Santiago. And, of course, the last skip to Fisterra and Muxia. I did some calculations and it came to somewhere about 3300km... Blog

Here is a link to Caminka's excellent blog:

http://camino-medieval.webs.com/apps/blog/

Caminka
Wishing you many Blessings and much Grace as you continue along your Way
Regards
Lovingkindness
Does anyone know why this blog has been frozen? I got on to this by accident but now really really want to read it. Sounds amazing!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Does anyone know why this blog has been frozen? I got on to this by accident but now really really want to read it. Sounds amazing!!
You might contact @caminka directly through Private Conversation option. Just click on her nickname and start conversation. She's active and I have no doubt she will answer your question.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.