• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slow itinerary from Porto to Santiago

Singingheart

Kathy Dahm
Time of past OR future Camino
Does anyone have an itinerary from Porto to Santiago allowing an average of only 10 miles a day, or 16 km?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
It looks like a good resource, but I can't get it to let me see from Porto to Santiago.
It works.

In the 2nd section of the page click on " planifie ton Camino".

Then when the new page opens, in the first line, say you want to start in Porto. It's somewhere in the menu.

Then tell it you want to walk 16km a day and what you are will to pay for accomodations.

I got a result with 14 etapas. The day out of Porto is 25km, but you can take the metro to past the burbs.

I'm sure that if you give it a try you will get it to work.

It works.

In the 2nd section of the page click on " planifie ton Camino".

Then when the new page opens, in the first line, say you want to start in Porto. It's somewhere in the menu.

Then tell it you want to walk 16km a day and what you are will to pay for accomodations.

I got a result with 14 etapas. The day out of Porto is 25km, but you can take the metro to past the burbs.

I'm sure that if you give it a try you will get it to work.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it won't let me enter Porto as my starting point. Is there any way you can copy the itinerary for me?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Does anyone have an itinerary from Porto to Santiago allowing an average of only 10 miles a day, or 16 km?
Hi Singingheart,
I only walked the last step of this camino, but on all of them I've liked using this website
http://www.gronze.com/camino-portugues
you can click on each step and it will show you where you can find lodging, so split the longer steps into two, or use two adjacent steps and turn them into three. I think it will work for your limits.
buen camino

i think it is pretty easy to use even if you don't speak spanish, but if you want it translated you can do that with google translate...and if you need to know how to do that just let me know:)

i think it is pretty easy to use even if you don't speak spanish, but if you want it translated you can do that with google translate...and if you need to know how to do that just let me know:)
I was just going to ask if there is a way to translate it. Many thanks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but it won't let me enter Porto as my starting point. Is there any way you can copy the itinerary for me?

I would have to sign up to be able to save the itinerary and even then I don't think I would know how to send kt via the forum.

Let's see, when you are trying to select Porto, what are you doing? Do you see the roll down menu? Do you see Porto? You can also type in your starting point.

Let me know what you see, what you are clicking and I will try to guide you. In the mean time I will try to open an account to save the result.

I was just going to ask if there is a way to translate it. Many thanks.
Singingheart knows how to use google translate, but if anyone doesn't
right click and copy the URL in the box at the top of the website you want to translate
open a new window with google translate https://translate.google.com/
in the box on the left in google translate right click and paste the copied URL
click translate
give it a second or three and up comes the page in your chosen language

edit: also, often if the page is in another language there will be google translate icon at the right side of the URL, clicking on that will also translate ...but if it's not there, the way above should work

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked this Camino last year and started very slowly as it was our first big walk after my husband's knee replacement. We used the Brierley guide which was excellent. The first day we walked along the river from Porto and up the coast to Matosinhos, 16km, day 2 to Vila do Conde about the same, and then went to Rates and on from there.
A lovely Camino and easy to do shortish days.

It looks like a good resource, but I can't get it to let me see from Porto to Santiago.
It may look that way because I think the cities are listed in order starting in Lisbon, rather than alphabetical. If you scroll down you will see it after a while, or in the starting point box click on the drop-down symbol (triangle) and a box appears above lisboa and all the other cities. start typing porto and it will come up and click it.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@singinheart !
Porto to Matosinhos 10 kms. Nice walk along the river and the Atlantic ocean.book hotel Central via Booking.com is my advice.
From there to Angeiras where you can stay at the Orbitur camping site. About 15 kms.I haven't been there but our forumfriend @Rainerbernd is "himmeljauchsend" = very enthousiastic about this place :). )
From there to São Pedro de Rates. Albergue 18 kms
From there to Pedra Furada . Call ahead to be sure to get a room ! Find information here on the forum or in the Brierley guide.
From there to Barcelos 16 kms. Several places to stay. Albergues, hostals and hotels.
From there to alberue in Tamel 15 kms but if you walk 3 kms more and now you will be in the flow and have more stamina you will arrive at the best caminho experience, casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães. If you haven't been there ,you haven't been on the caminho !
From Fernanda to Ponte de Lima is an easy walk 14 kms
From there you will have a hard day, a 20 kms walk climbing de Alto de Portela mountain, partly off road. I know the area very well . Saw a guy from Namibia and his wife walking on the national road when we drove to Valença do Minho but I should not advice this and just follow the caminho waymarkers.

From Rubiães it is 18 kms to Valença do Minho and 21 to Tui at the other bank of the Minho river. I prefered Valença where is an albergue and several hotels.to enjoy a little bit longer of the Portuguese atmosphere ! And visit the medieval fortress
Anyway from Tui it is 20 kms to O Porriño
Another 20 kms and you are in Redondela with an albergue and some hotels around

From Redondela it is another 20 kms to Pontevedra with various possibilities to stay the night
Another 20 kms to Caldas de Reis several options to stay the night
From there to Padrón. Here too is a variety of places to stay
From Padrón to Teo a Casalonga 14 kms. An albergue or a nice casa rural o Cruceiro. But call ahead. It can be full. Look in the Brierley guide for the phone number.
From Teo to Santiago 10 kms. Very relaxed

Bom caminho

Last edited:
I would have to sign up to be able to save the itinerary and even then I don't think I would know how to send kt via the forum.

Let's see, when you are trying to select Porto, what are you doing? Do you see the roll down menu? Do you see Porto? You can also type in your starting point.

Let me know what you see, what you are clicking and I will try to guide you. In the mean time I will try to open an account to save the result.
Well, the program asks one to put in the starting point, but nothing is allowed except for Lisbon. I've tried many times, but when I click on the starting point, it moves down to the ending point. It's very frustrating. In other words, nothing rolls down on the roll down menu. It just clicks me to the ending point.
@singinheart !
Porto to Matosinhos 10 kms. Nice walk along the river and the Atlantic ocean.book hotel Central via Booking.com is my advice.
From there to Angeiras where you can stay at the Orbitur camping site. About 15 kms.I haven't been there but our forumfriend @Rainerbernd is "himmeljauchsend" = very enthousiastic about this place :). )
From there to São Pedro de Rates. Albergue 18 kms
From there to Pedra Furada . Call ahead to be sure to get a room ! Find information here on the forum or in the Brierley guide.
From there to Barcelos 16 kms. Several places to stay. Albergues, hostals and hotels.
From there to alberue in Tamel 15 kms but if you walk 3 kms more and now you will be in the flow and have more stamina you will arrive at the best caminho experience, casa da Fernanda in Vitorino de Piães. If you haven't been there ,you haven't been on the caminho !
From Fernanda to Ponte de Lima is an easy walk 14 kms
From there you will have a hard day, a 20 kms walk climbing de Alto de Portela mountain, partly off road. I know the area very well . Saw a guy from Namibia and his wife walking on the national road when we drove to Valença do Minho but I should not advice this and just follow the caminho waymarkers.

From Rubiães it is 18 kms to Valença do Minho and 21 to Tui at the other bank of the Minho river. I prefered Valença where is an albergue and several hotels.to enjoy a little bit longer of the Portuguese atmosphere ! And visit the medieval fortress
Anyway from Tui it is 20 kms to O Porriño
Another 20 kms and you are in Redondela with an albergue and some hotels around

From Redondela it is another 20 kms to Pontevedra with various possibilities to stay the night
Another 20 kms to Caldas de Reis several options to stay the night
From there to Padrón. Here too is a variety of places to stay
From Padrón to Teo a Casalonga 14 kms. An albergue or a nice casa rural o Cruceiro. But call ahead. It can be full. Look in the Brierley guide for the phone number.
From Teo to Santiago 10 kms. Very relaxed

Bom caminho
Thank you so much!!

Well, the program asks one to put in the starting point, but nothing is allowed except for Lisbon. I've tried many times, but when I click on the starting point, it moves down to the ending point. It's very frustrating. In other words, nothing rolls down on the roll down menu. It just clicks me to the ending point.

Thank you so much!!
I think it might just look like it is taking you to the ending point...at least that is how it looked to me. If you haven't tried it, just go ahead and put in porto...when I tried it looked like it was going to enter it as an end point but I think it's just the layout of the dropdown menu, because once I clicked it put it into the start point. if not, then I don't know what else to try. good luck

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I think it might just look like it is taking you to the ending point...at least that is how it looked to me. If you haven't tried it, just go ahead and put in porto...when I tried it looked like it was going to enter it as an end point but I think it's just the layout of the dropdown menu, because once I clicked it put it into the start point. if not, then I don't know what else to try. good luck
Thank you! I tried again a bit ago, and for some reason, I was able to put Porto as my starting point, while I wasn't able to do that last night. It has to have something to do with computer goblins. :) I have the slow itinerary I was looking for now. Many thanks again!

for anyone else besides Singingheart, hopefully this PDF shows what I tried to explain in words...it may look like you are entering an end point when you use the drop down menu, but it puts it into the start point once you click.

Attachments

• urcamino.pdf
    349.8 KB · Views: 20
Thank you! I tried again a bit ago, and for some reason, I was able to put Porto as my starting point, while I wasn't able to do that last night. It has to have something to do with computer goblins. :) I have the slow itinerary I was looking for now. Many thanks again!
for some reason computers hate me:confused:...I try not to take it too personally, but sometimes it hurts:(

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can I whisper something to you? My husband and I walked from Porto last year for our 25th wedding anniversay. We intended to go slowly and take the time to smell the roses - each day we had sniffed and eaten pastries and people watched by lunchtime....so we walked on further;-) Be willing to walk the path that unfolds before you and just use your plan as a direction-pointer!

Thank you so much!!
You are welcome.. download here on the forum Johnny Walker's guide or buy John Brierley's guide here on the forum in Ivar's webshop.
No need to invent the wheel another time !

Can I whisper something to you? My husband and I walked from Porto last year for our 25th wedding anniversay. We intended to go slowly and take the time to smell the roses - each day we had sniffed and eaten pastries and people watched by lunchtime....so we walked on further;-) Be willing to walk the path that unfolds before you and just use your plan as a direction-pointer!
Absolutely! It's how I walked the Camino Frances last fall and how I want to walk the Portuguese Camino. I just wanted a sense of what was available and possible for days shorter than the traditional stages.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Absolutely! It's how I walked the Camino Frances last fall and how I want to walk the Portuguese Camino. I just wanted a sense of what was available and possible for days shorter than the traditional stages.

Well you won't be surprised when the unexpected happens will you?! Before we went I asked a few questions about Valenca and Tui, wondering which one we should stop in. We even "planned" to stop in Valenca and then have a short day exploring Tui before walking on. You know what happened, don't you! WE had met a couple of guys we were thoroughly enjoying spending evenings with and sometimes even walking with during the day.....neither place had really woken up when we sauntered through and we continued on out the other side without even visiting the recommended "attractions". No regrets.

Well you won't be surprised when the unexpected happens will you?! Before we went I asked a few questions about Valenca and Tui, wondering which one we should stop in. We even "planned" to stop in Valenca and then have a short day exploring Tui before walking on. You know what happened, don't you! WE had met a couple of guys we were thoroughly enjoying spending evenings with and sometimes even walking with during the day.....neither place had really woken up when we sauntered through and we continued on out the other side without even visiting the recommended "attractions". No regrets.
The perfect Camino experience! I really can't wait to have more of them next fall. I love to hear about experiences like yours. Thank you!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you so much! Is the price you list for one person or two?
I think you can do it more economic. Find the smaller hostals. In John Brierley's guide there are plenty of them mentioned.
Last year May we payed substancially less in Pedra Furada for a 2 bedroom. Not more than 40 or 45 euros for 2 persons
Hotel Parque in o Porriño we payed 45€ including breakfast for us two
The only luxury hotel we had was o Pazo de Adran in Milliadorio about 10 kms before Santiago.. we payed 90€ for a room. Including breakfast
Nice place to stay. 300 meters from the caminho waymarkers
Furthermore all hostals and hotels from Porto to Santiago were not more expensive than 30 to 40 € per night for both of us and often with breakfast.
Sometimes we stayed in albergues like casa da Fernanda or o refúxio de la Jerézana in Cessantes nearby Redondela. Fernanda is donativo. A donation of 20€ there per person is normal for a bed, a meal, drinks and a breakfast the next morning. O refúxio I think we payed 6€ each per bed and Maria the hospitaleira prepared us a meal which as I do remember costed 10 € for us both. In Santiago we found an Airbnb room for 2 nights and back in Porto we also found a comfortable airbnb appartment for 3 nights for almost nothing.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Is the price you list for one person or two?
Sorry. the price is for 2 and often included breakfast and some dinners. The figures are in Australian dollars. So it is around .66 conversion rate. ($aus 1 is aproximately .66 Euro). We also used and met John Brierly and booking.com
I also wrote a blog on it and if you would like the link just message me again.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks John for that list. I see you had a few days off during your walk. Was that for sightseeing or just to take it easy and enjoy Portugal?
You are more than welcome. We took it easy to see more. but we had a few days of sightseeing etc. If you want to read my blog, then happy to provide it.

Hi, my friend and I ( both well past our best years) walked for first time Sarria to Santiago last year and this year we want to do Porto to Santiago BUT only doing approx 15-16 k per day. What we need is a guide showing the ‘in-between stages’ places to stay, allergies and hostels etc. Because of our age we would like to send bags ahead and this means knowing where we will be staying each night and we could do this a couple of days ahead. Hoping someone out there will be able to help.
Thank you.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, my friend and I ( both well past our best years) walked for first time Sarria to Santiago last year and this year we want to do Porto to Santiago BUT only doing approx 15-16 k per day. What we need is a guide showing the ‘in-between stages’ places to stay, allergies and hostels etc. Because of our age we would like to send bags ahead and this means knowing where we will be staying each night and we could do this a couple of days ahead. Hoping someone out there will be able to help.
Thank you.
Of course I meant albergues and hostels!

Thank you.
First of all, how do you know that your best years aren't still ahead? 😊

Secondly, here's a couple of resources for you to help plan your stages.
Gronze.com has tons of information about the major Camino routes, with suggested stages, but you can also see the intermediate towns when you click on a stage. It has a pretty complete list of albergues and other accommodations. The Gronze site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will translate into English (or your choice of language). Be aware though, that it also translates place names - for example Redondela becomes Round It, and Cesantes is translated to Unemployed!

Another site to plan your stages is RutasaSantiago.com

Gronze.com has tons of information about the major Camino routes, with suggested stages, but you can also see the intermediate towns when you click on a stage. It has a pretty complete list of albergues and other accommodations. The Gronze site is in Spanish, but if you use the Chrome browser it will translate into English (or your choice of language). Be aware though, that it also translates place names - for example Redondela becomes Round It, and Cesantes is translated to Unemployed!

[/QUOTE

thank you Trecile for this helpful information ! Will check out sites mentioned. 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you Trecile for this helpful information. I will check out the sites mentioned.
Re your first comment, well what can I say but ‘I Wish’😀😀 !!

Ola, Using the Brierley Portuguese guide I have plotted a route with 13 stages and a rest day in Caminha. Ex Porto to Caminha is coastal and from there we head inland to Valenca/Tui and then pick up the central route. The last two or three days might be a bit longer than you want but you should be able adjust to fit your 16km criteria. One thing to bear in mind - after 3 or 4 days your camino fitness will have improved and you might find you can walk an extra km or 2 each day. Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back