• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

slow paced Itinerary-camino frances

alinhe

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Hello!
I have a question that maybe I am the only one asking it? I couldn't find a slow paced itinerary for the camino frances, every itinerary is only 35 stages. there is no where that shows 40 45 days. does anybody here have a ready made itinerary? I know that it depends on the pace and what not.. but something to start with?
Thank u!

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There are no itineraries. You make them yourself. Take the time you need; walk daily distances according to your liking. There are albergues in every city/towm/village (almost).

It is YOUR itinerary, not the "guidebook's". Nothing is set in stone: On the Camino, you are the boss of your own life. Be free. Relax and smell the roses.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello!
I have a question that maybe I am the only one asking it? I couldn't find a slow paced itinerary for the camino frances, every itinerary is only 35 stages. there is no where that shows 40 45 days. does anybody here have a ready made itinerary? I know that it depends on the pace and what not.. but something to start with?
Thank u!

This tool might be of help.

Like others wrote : there is no fixed itinerary.
There were days on the Francés I only walked nine or ten kilometers. And I never walked more than 29 in one day.

Last edited:
Hola @alinhe, Welcome to our Forum. There is a phrase that you will hear and see quite often "its YOUR camino". So what does this mean? Well it means you can travel as far as you can or you can stop at as many places as you want to.
If you have the time then the Camino Frances has the places, side trips etc for you to "stop and smell the roses" along the way.
I recommend for those on their first camino, especially starting in St Jean that you take 4 days (or more) to get to Pamplona. You need to get what I call "Camino fit", this is getting use to the actual walking with your backpack that might be just a bit heavier than it was in training, getting use to sleeping in a different bed each night, with 4/6/10 different people all farting, coughing, snoring etc.
I also suggest that you allow for extra days in Pamplona, Burgos and Leon - these are large cities but they also have a lot of history.
Lastly a "guide book", is just that - its a guide. Yes Brierley break his book/camino up into 33 stages. But you see all those extra little towns and villages that also have accommodation of varying characteristics. So if you only want to walk 10/15 km today then that is what you do. After Pamplona the pace of the camino really can be adjusted to whatever time frame you have available.
A very special Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I recommend for those on their first camino, especially starting in St Jean that you take 4 days (or more) to get to Pamplona. You need to get what I call "Camino fit", this is getting use to the actual walking with your backpack that might be just a bit heavier than it was in training, getting use to sleeping in a different bed each night, with 4/6/10 different people all farting, coughing, snoring etc.
A very wise advice.

Don't rely on guides, as has been said: They are just that: Guides. Nobody knows you better than you (apart from your mother).

Use www.godesalco.com/plan and/or Wisepilgrim's www.caminoapp.com for some fun planning. Being 69, I am planning my next Camino to be a slow one. Using Wisepilgrim's website planning, I ended up on 42 days from Pamplona to SdC. Some "normal" days, some slow days. Perfect for me; plenty of time to sit laid back with a cold beer and watch stressed pilgrims rushing by to reach their next "stage". :cool:

Øl.jpeg

Edit: I have read somewhere that the reason for Brierleys guide of 33 days to walk the CF is to use one day for each year Jesus lived on this planet. If that is the case: Jesus...

Last edited:
This was my 2022 46 day walking itinerary. I also took three rest day. I stayed in a mix of private rooms and albergues and walked the detours to Yuso & Samos Monasteries. The guide book Village to Village has a 40 day itinerary that I used as my starting point. I wanted to start slow so I added two days to the beginning then adjusted as needed.

Valcarlos
Roncesvalles
Bizkaretta
Larrsoaña
Pamplona
Uterga
Lorca
Villamayor de Monjardin
Sansol
Logroño
Ventosa
Najera
San Millán
Castildelgado
Villafranca Montes de Oca
Atapuerca
Burgos
Hornillos del Camino
Castrojeriz
Boadilla del Camino
Vallalcazar
Calzadilla de la Cueza
Sahagún
El Burgo Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
Léon
Villadangos del Paramo
Santibañez de Valdelglesias
Astorga
Murias de Rechivaldo
Foncebadón
Molinaseca
Ponferrada
Villafranca del Bierzo
Las Herrerias
Fonfria
Samos
Sarria
Vilacha
Palas de Rei
Melide
Arzúa
Salceda
Lavacollo
Santiago de Compostela

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have had several slow ones that I have not actually written down. I use GRONZE as Spanish camino web site to pick the places I will stay. The map of the stages on GRONZE is very helpful as it showed the different towns and the mileage between them. Also what accommodations are available at each town. They to have the “normal” stages, but it’s easy to make your own. Your compute should be able to translate GRONZE to English.

I have a 47 day plan, but it includes taking a bus from Leon to Hospital di Orbigo as well as a number of rather short days.
SJPDP
Borda
Roncesvalles
Lintzoain
Zubiri
Zabaldika
Pamplona (so I am taking 6 days to get to Pamplona, rather than 4 as others recommend)
Uterga
Maneru
Estella
Luquin
Sansol
Logronon
Naverrete
Najera
Santo Domingo
Viloria de Rioja
Espinosa
San Juan Ortega
Cardenuela Riopico
Burgos
Hornillos
Castrojeriz
Boadilla
Villacazar de Sirca
Calzakilla de las Cueza
Sahagun
El Burgos Ranero
Mansilla de las Mulas
Leon
Hospital di Orbigo
Astorga
Rabanal
El Acebo
Ponferrada
Cacabelos
Trabadelo
Laguna de Castillo
Fonfria
Samos
Barbadelo
Portomarin
Airexe
Melide
Arzua
O Pedrouzo
Santiago

As you can see, I have a lot of towns that others don't stop in, cause I wanted to see them and have different experiences. Taking quite a few short days rather than days off. Yes, I have my accomodation booked too. Did it last spring and quite liked having it settled, picking albergues that have a special something or communal meals, or single beds

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello!
Thank u!
Happy to email my itinerary which averages about 12 kms a day …

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AtalM3PH2v6O4gLX2IH_AZdM6fk9 … my slow paced itinerary (not sure if I posted correctly) …

Hello!
Thank u!
I have a slow paced French Camino planned for next year. My average days will be 10 to 15 km at the most except for the stretch on the Meseta that is 17.2 km. I intend on taking nearly 5 weeks to complete.
I agree with what others say, just plot your own journey using Wise Camino and Gronze as a starting point.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My Camino

Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port - Valcarlos/Luzaide, 13,7
Valcarlos/Luzaide - Espinal/Aurizberri,17,2
Espinal/Aurizberri –Zabaldica 24,7
Zabaldica - Pamplona/Iruña, 10,5 via Huarte
Pamplona/Iruña – Uterga, 17,6
Uterga – Lorca, 22,0
Lorca – Villamayor de Monjardin, 19,5
Villamayor de Monjardin – Torres del Rio, 21,8
Torres del Rio – Logrono, 22,4
Logrono – Ventosa, 21,6
Ventosa - Ciruena 28,0
Ciruena – Viloria de Rioja, 23,0
Viloria de Rioja – Villafranca Montes de Oca, 22,2
Villafranca Montes de Oca – Cardenuela Riopico, 25,2
Cardenuela Riopico – Burgos, 14,8
Burgos – Hornillos del Camino 21,7
Hornillos del Camino – Castrojeriz 19,5
Castrojeriz – Boadila del Camino, 22,5
Boadila del Camino – Villalcazar de Sirga, 20,8 via Villovieco
Villalcazar de Sirga – Calzadilla de la Cueza, 22,8
Calzadilla de la Cueza - Sahagun, 22,4
Sahagun – El Burgo Ranero, 18,0
El Burgo Ranero - Puente Villarente, 24,8
Puente Villarente – León, 13,6
León - Villadangos del Páramo, 21,0
Villadangos del Paramo - Santibanez de Valdaiglasias, 16,5
Santibanez - Santa Catalina de Somoza, 23,0 via Castrillo de los Polvazares
Santa Catalina -, Foncebadon, 16,7
Foncebadon – Molinaseca, 21,7
Molinasaca – Cacabelos, 23,6 via Carracedo del Monasterio
Cacabelos - La Portela da Valacarce, 23,3
La Portela da Vala - O Celebrio, 14,3
O Celebrio – Tracastea, 23,0
Tracastea – Sarria, 19,2
Sarria – Portomarin, 26,0
Portomarin - Palas de Rei, 25,8
Palas de Rei – Ribadisio da Baixo, 25,8
Ribadisio da Baixo – O Pedrozo, 22,4
O Pedrozo - Santiago de Compostela, 22,1

Buen Camino 😇

Last edited:
I have a slow paced French Camino planned for next year. My average days will be 10 to 15 km at the most except for the stretch on the Meseta that is 17.2 km. I intend on taking nearly 5 weeks to complete.
Where do you plan to start?
5 weeks is pretty average for SJPdP to Santiago, and works out to around 23 km per day average.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I took six weeks on the Camino Frances, but that included a rest day in Burgos, Leon, and two in Santiago; with the final week as a relaxing vacay in Muxia and Finesterre. The Frances route is the easiest one to walk as few kilometers as you wish; no problem. (Edit- I'd skipped the meseta that particular year).

When I walked the Via Francigena in Italy last fall, there were quite a few longer stages I needed to walk with not much in-between, so I sometimes had to walk farther than I was comfortable with.

Hello!
Thank u!
I'm going in April and I'm finding the Buen Camino app helpful for planning stages. You can set up your stage and it links with accommodation options.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I would suggest less planning. Just start wherever and whenever is good for you. Walk until you want to stop. Stop if there is somewhere that suits you. If it's not ideal, either accept that, or get a taxi or bus or train to somewhere better.

Hello!
Thank u!
I'm starting slower. For example: I'm walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to stay at Albergue Borda. Then walking to Burguete. Then I'm going to Larrasoana then to Pamplona and will take an extra day or so there. Just ignore the "traditional" book itinerary and just make your own. You'll be fine :)

In planning your first camino, take into account WHEN, you will be traveling….Weather, extreme heat, lots of rain, winds, etc.
If there are holidays or national days such as May 1st or local festivals such as The wine festival in Logrono in September. Or, if you are traveling certain heavily trafficked sections between SJPdP and Pamplona or Sarria to SdC. You would need reservations during such times most likely.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
the slowest itinerary I can think of is to walk to the 'next village\town' that has a Pilgrim accommodations and stop there.
I know that it looks like a joke (and in a way it is) but, heck - I am not wrong (short of prolonging it even further by spending extra nights in some of these places)
IMHO - definitely will take couple of years but chances are you'd miss very little in way of historical sites, curiosities and so on. I would also pretty much bet on "no blisters" and not to have to worry about running out of water while walking.
I'm sure there is at least one Member on this Forum that can probably give us the actual stats as to how long that would take
Buen (slow-paced) Camino

It is just not possible to walk a set distance each day on the Camino. In some stages, a set distance will leave you stranded in the middle of a farmer's field or mountain top. There will always be the urge to over-do your abilities to get to the next town or keep up with the group.

The "secret" to an enjoyable, injury-free Camino experience is to train at home in full pack.

-Paul

It is just not possible to walk a set distance each day on the Camino. In some stages, a set distance will leave you stranded in the middle of a farmer's field or mountain top. There will always be the urge to over-do your abilities to get to the next town or keep up with the group.

The "secret" to an enjoyable, injury-free Camino experience is to train at home in full pack.

-Paul

On the CF at least there is only one long stretch between Carrion de los Condes and Calzadilla de la Cueza. Otherwise the CF is perfect for those who prefer to walk short etapas.

Regarding training with full pack beforehand : you can find enough examples here on the forum from those who did not train with a pack.
There is also a lot to say to just increase your daily physical activity at home / work in general. Some pilgrims see the first week of their Camino as a training. Easy on. Building stamina.
What training at home does not teach you is how you handle tiredness ( lack of sleep due to alberguelife) in combination with walking and carrying your pack.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Regarding training with full pack beforehand : you can find enough examples here on the forum from those who did not train with a pack.

Those are likely the same people who complain about injuries and having to take a taxi. Maybe there is a connection?

-Paul

@alinhe - I have sent you a private message with a 40 day plan I created for some friends.
Would you be able to send to me as well?? 😉 Don’t mean to take advantage of your generosity but you always seem to provide such helpful responses here in the forum and I would love to glean your camino veteran wisdom.

Those are likely the same people who complain about injuries and having to take a taxi. Maybe there is a connection?

-Paul

Injuries can happen for many reasons.
Six years ago I had to cut short my Camino due to knee bursitis. I was trained and had a light pack and still.
I was merely saying that a general active lifestyle is for most pilgrims sufficient when they start the CF where there are sufficient lodgings to do short etapas.
I see though in your older posts that you are "an aficionado " for training with pack. De gustibus etc...
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Six years ago I had to cut short my Camino due to knee bursitis. I was trained and had a light pack and still.

If you trained hard enough at home, you would already be aware of your knee bursitis and talked to your own doctor about how to manage your condition. That's what training is all about - discovering your weaknesses, stopping for medical attention and taking corrective action. That's easy to do at home, but much harder to do in Spain.

"a general active lifestyle" usually results in overdoing your abilities on the Camino, generating injuries and then compounding injuries as the need to push onward.

I walk longer in training than I plan to do on the Camino. That makes the Camino seem like an easy walk then I have energy to walk around town, museums and shopping. My training taught me how to deal with sciatica, blisters, de-hydration, and low blood sugar. All the pain in training pays off with happy memories on the Camino!

-Paul

If you trained hard enough at home, you would already be aware of your knee bursitis and talked to your own doctor about how to manage your condition. That's what training is all about - discovering your weaknesses, stopping for medical attention and taking corrective action. That's easy to do at home, but much harder to do in Spain.

"a general active lifestyle" usually results in overdoing your abilities on the Camino, generating injuries and then compounding injuries as the need to push onward.

I walk longer in training than I plan to do on the Camino. That makes the Camino seem like an easy walk then I have energy to walk around town, museums and shopping. My training taught me how to deal with sciatica, blisters, de-hydration, and low blood sugar. All the pain in training pays off with happy memories on the Camino!

-Paul

Please do not think in my place. My physiotherapist, gp and doctor know better than you in this case.
Will be my last post in this thread.

Some subtleties are being missed. Many of us recommend that people do 2 or 3 consecutive walks of 15-25 km at home, with full pack. In my view, this gives a good taste of the effect on your body, and especially it can reveal irritating little flaws in the equipment that can be fixed easily at home. For example - one pair of underpants might have a seam that hits the wrong place under the hip belt. You only notice the irritation after 2 days of walking. Or that water bottle is too hard to remove from that pouch.

However, I do not normally train with a full pack at home. I "train" by walking as much as possible, including wearing a backpack carrying whatever I need for the day, and whatever groceries I might buy to take home.

There are quite a few people who get anxious near their travel date, and overtrain in the last few weeks. I advise not to suddenly start walking 25 km days with a full pack at that point. Better to use the last few weeks to work up gradually.

We do need to know our bodies, as much as we can, especially as we age. I'm not sure that training for longer distances than we intend to walk on the Camino is necessarily a good idea. Perhaps those longer distances are just too much for my body and will cause injury that could be avoided. For me, training is partly about knowing what I can expect from my body, but without creating new problems. Then I can plan to suit my body rather than expect my body to conform to the plan.

Perhaps we are saying similar things, when we look beyond the summary statements. There is really no single predictable secret to an enjoyable or injury-free Camino experience.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hello!
Thank u!
I personally feel it is a mistake to make your route before even getting to St Jean. Everyday is an adventure to be explored and enjoyed. We walked 15-19 mile days, and one day stopped after 11 miles because we saw a sign for an albergue, Casa Magica. How could we NOT stop. So we ended our day at noon, and were so thankful we did. had we had a schedule and reservations prepared ahead of time - we would have missed this day of joy. I can honestly say, we found some amazing places to stay, and met wonderful people, simply because we did not have a plan and let the day unfold for us.

We also stopped early after coming across Casa Magica in May 2014. I was full of a heavy head cold, was given a bed by a wall heater which was turned on for me and the food was excellent - staying here was a real highlight of our camino😊

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.