• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slow walk on Coastal Portuguese Camino

Yvonne Collings

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning June 2015 (First time)
Please help, we are planning on doing a small section (HALF MAYBE?) of the Coastal Portuguese Camino in September, we are not used to walking much more that 15-20km per day, I'm waiting for my John Brierley book to be delivered but in the meantime can anybody give me some idea of an itinerarry for walking 9 days. we will need to catch a bus to SdC after the 9 days. We will be back next year to do the rest. I don't even know if I'm doing this correctly, so please bear with me. I've only walked Sarria to SdC, and then SdC to Muxia so am totally in awe of all you knowledgeable people.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Yvonne, the route is very well marked and you really won’t need a guidebook. That said, there are plenty of free resources on this site.

Go to the ‘Camino Resources’ tab at the top of this site and you’ll see a section for the Camino Portuguese. Have a browse there and download what you need. Plenty of maps/distances/albergues etc to help with your planning.
Cheers, Grace

Thanks Grace, I'm going to be so clever after this! It seems to do shorter distances is possible but may just cost us a bit more in accommodation than planned.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Yvonne.

We are a small group of older Pilgrims who are due to set foot in Portugal this May!
We tend to plan in advance because of the shorter distances we feel comfortable with, but there are so many 'free-spirits' who just go on Camino without a place to rest their heads anywhere.

Anyway, our itinerary is as follows -

Day 1. Porto – Matoshinos (Hotel Porto Mar) – 12kms

Day 2. Matoshinos – Vila Cha/Angeiras (Campismo Orbitur Angeiras) - 10kms

Day 3. Vila Cha – Povoa de Varzim (Grande Hotel) – 15kms

Day 4. P do V – Estella/Criaz(Hotel Contriz) – 15kms

Day 5. Estella – Esposende (Soave Mar)- 12kms

Day 6. Esposende – O. Castelo do Neiva (Qunita do Monteverde) - 13kms
This is a special treat!

Day 7. C do N – Viana do Castelo (Hotel Laranjeira) – 12kms

Day 8. V do C – Vila Praia de Ancora(Hotel Meira) – 18kms.

Day 9. VP do A – Caminha – 6kms, then take the ferry across river.
This ferry doesn't sail on Mondays or at low tides, so you have to plan carefully!
Continue to walk around the headland to A Guarda – distance here depends on route taken.
There is a shorter more direct route cutting across the headland.
Staying at the Hotel Eli Mar for two nights.

Day 10. Day free to explore Santa de Tecla and the mountain.

Day 11. A Guarda – Vigo by bus.
We're still exploring the available bus routes.
Staying for a very special early birthday treat at the NH Collection, Vigo for two nights.

Day 12. Free to explore Vigo.

Hoping this might help with your research.

I'm looking forward to hearing what you decide to do!
Bom Caminho / Buen Camino!
Sheena

Hi Sheena, you are replying to an old thread. The OP hasn't been seen back here for a long while. ;)
Jill

Hi Sheena, you are replying to an old thread. The OP hasn't been seen back here for a long while. ;)
Jill
Jill

Thanks Jill.
Silly me, I didn't see the date on the post!
never mind, it might be useful for someone else.
Sheena

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello Yvonne.

We are a small group of older Pilgrims who are due to set foot in Portugal this May!
We tend to plan in advance because of the shorter distances we feel comfortable with, but there are so many 'free-spirits' who just go on Camino without a place to rest their heads anywhere.

Anyway, our itinerary is as follows -

Day 1. Porto – Matoshinos (Hotel Porto Mar) – 12kms

Day 2. Matoshinos – Vila Cha/Angeiras (Campismo Orbitur Angeiras) - 10kms

Day 3. Vila Cha – Povoa de Varzim (Grande Hotel) – 15kms

Day 4. P do V – Estella/Criaz(Hotel Contriz) – 15kms

Day 5. Estella – Esposende (Soave Mar)- 12kms

Day 6. Esposende – O. Castelo do Neiva (Qunita do Monteverde) - 13kms
This is a special treat!

Day 7. C do N – Viana do Castelo (Hotel Laranjeira) – 12kms

Day 8. V do C – Vila Praia de Ancora(Hotel Meira) – 18kms.

Day 9. VP do A – Caminha – 6kms, then take the ferry across river.
This ferry doesn't sail on Mondays or at low tides, so you have to plan carefully!
Continue to walk around the headland to A Guarda – distance here depends on route taken.
There is a shorter more direct route cutting across the headland.
Staying at the Hotel Eli Mar for two nights.

Day 10. Day free to explore Santa de Tecla and the mountain.

Day 11. A Guarda – Vigo by bus.
We're still exploring the available bus routes.
Staying for a very special early birthday treat at the NH Collection, Vigo for two nights.

Day 12. Free to explore Vigo.

Bom Caminho / Buen Camino!
Sheena

Hi Sheena!
We actually ended up walking the interior route in 2015, but today I thought I'd have another look if there had been any other replies to my query as I'm already planning to start in Lisbon 2020 and do the coastal from Porto, so your reply will come in handy! This year we are completing CF.
So no post old or new is in vain, thanks.
Yvonne

Hi Yvonne.

We’ve just walked the CP from Lisbon to Coimbra!
Although the route out of Lisbon is rather industrial for a while, please don’t let that put you off, it doesn’t last that long and there are some fascinating old buildings too.

The landscape changes to a varied agricultural region interspersed with lovely Portuguese villages and their oh so friendly and helpful people!

It does have its hilly stretches but they’re more than manageable.

Because there is more accommodation springing up all the time, the daily distances can be much more easily split if that is something you need to do.

I hope you are enjoying the Camino de Frances and wish you well both for that and next year.

Sheena

Hi Yvonne.

Although the route out of Lisbon is rather industrial for a while, please don’t let that put you off, it doesn’t last that long and there are some fascinating old buildings too.

The landscape changes to a varied agricultural region interspersed with lovely Portuguese villages and their oh so friendly and helpful people!

Because there is more accommodation springing up all the time, the daily distances can be much more easily split if that is something you need to do.

I hope you are enjoying the Camino de Frances and wish you well both for that and next year.

Sheena
Hi Yvonne.

Sheena
Good to know. thanks for info and well done! Would it be possible (while everything is still fresh in your mind) to pass on your itinerary? I've got a basic one that I put together last week, it involves 21 days of walking, unfortunately some of the days are just too short, longest day is 27 km but about 4 days are only 11 km. Our problem is that darling husband will not share accommodation so i have to look at private rooms and I refuse to do more than 30 km, 29 yes but no more.... hills don't concern me too much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good to know. thanks for info and well done! Would it be possible (while everything is still fresh in your mind) to pass on your itinerary? I've got a basic one that I put together last week, it involves 21 days of walking, unfortunately some of the days are just too short, longest day is 27 km but about 4 days are only 11 km. Our problem is that darling husband will not share accommodation so i have to look at private rooms and I refuse to do more than 30 km, 29 yes but no more.... hills don't concern me too much.
Hi Yvonne.
Here's the route we took from Lisbon -

Day 1. Arrive Lisbon - Hotel Botanico.
Good hotel, great breakfast to start your day.

Day 2. Lisbon - Santa Iria de Azoia (26kms) - VIP Executive.
Good hotel overall. Vey helpful staff. Good food.

Day 3.. S I de A - Vila Franca de Xira (14kms) - Lezira Parque.
Great buffets, both in the evening and for breakfast. Lovely staff!

Day 4. V F de X - Azambuja (19kms) - Hotel Ouro.
This was changed to Residencial da Primavera.
Whilst the rooms were fine, they are very disorganised, do not speak any English, the food was very meagre indeed. I would not recommend the residencial at all

Day 5. Azambuja - Porto do Mugo (20kms) - Quinta do Burro.
Lovely restful stay with Paula, the Caminho Angel. Superb chocolate mousse!

Day 6. P do M - Santarem (16kms) - N1 Hostel Apartments.
Choice of private rooms or dormitories. The very best Pilgrims Dinner we have ever eaten! 4 Courses - €10, including water, wine and coffee!

Day 7. Santarem - Golega (31kms) - Lusitania Guest House.
Unusual set up. Accommodation superb, Meals taken at local restaurant and cafe by hotel voucher.

Day 8 Golega - Atalia (12kms) - Sonetos do Tejo.
Super place to stay!

Day 9. Atalia- Tomar (16kms) - Hotel Uniao.
Lovely old building. Great breakfast.
Wish we'd been able to stay two night so we could have explored tomar and surroundings better.

Day 10. Tomar - Alvaiazere (31kms) - Hotel O Bras. Not recommended at all!

Day 11. Alvaiazere - Ansiao (15kms) - Quinta Solar Raihna.
Needs a little TLC but the food was fabulous!

Day 12. Ansiao - Alvorge (11kms) - Casa Vale Florido.
House to ourselves just off the Caminho. Evening meal in bar 5 mins walk away.
Great couple who own both places.

Day 13. Alvorge - Conimbriga (19kms) - Poussada Condeixa a Novo.
Treat night! Looks very expensive, but the lovely red wine wasn't!

Day 14. Conimbriga - Coimbra (19kms) - Hotel Vale Gale.
Lots of places to lay your head in Coimbra.
This was good, ate out.
Close to bus station for trip back to Lisbon.

Day 15. Transfer back to Lisbon from Coimbra. Probably by bus.
Day 16. Free day to do touristy things in Lisbon.
Day 17. Depart Portugal.

Hope it's useful when you come to plan your walk.
Sheena

Last edited:
Hi Yvonne.
Here's the route we took from Lisbon -

Day 1. Arrive Lisbon - Hotel Botanico.
Good hotel, great breakfast to start your day.

Day 2. Lisbon - Santa Iria de Azoia (26kms) - VIP Executive.
Good hotel overall. Vey helpful staff. Good food.

Day 3.. S I de A - Vila Franca de Xira (14kms) - Lezira Parque.
Great buffets, both in the evening and for breakfast. Lovely staff!

Day 4. V F de X - Azambuja (19kms) - Hotel Ouro.
This was changed to Residencial da Primavera.
Whilst the rooms were fine, they are very disorganised, do not speak any English, the food was very meagre indeed. I would not recommend the residencial at all

Day 5. Azambuja - Porto do Mugo (20kms) - Quinta do Burro.
Lovely restful stay with Paula, the Caminho Angel. Superb chocolate mousse!

Day 6. P do M - Santarem (16kms) - N1 Hostel Apartments.
Choice of private rooms or dormitories. The very best Pilgrims Dinner we have ever eaten! 4 Courses - €10, including water, wine and coffee!

Day 7. Santarem - Golega (31kms) - Lusitania Guest House.
Unusual set up. Accommodation superb, Meals taken at local restaurant and cafe by hotel voucher.

Day 8 Golega - Atalia (12kms) - Sonetos do Tejo.
Super place to stay!

Day 9. Atalia- Tomar (16kms) - Hotel Uniao.
Lovely old building. Great breakfast.
Wish we'd been able to stay two night so we could have explored tomar and surroundings better.

Day 10. Tomar - Alvaiazere (31kms) - Hotel O Bras. Not recommended at all!

Day 11. Alvaiazere - Ansiao (15kms) - Quinta Solar Raihna.
Needs a little TLC but the food was fabulous!

Day 12. Ansiao - Alvorge (11kms) - Casa Vale Florido.
House to ourselves just off the Caminho. Evening meal in bar 5 mins walk away.
Great couple who own both places.

Day 13. Alvorge - Conimbriga (19kms) - Poussada Condeixa a Novo.
Treat night! Looks very expensive, but the lovely red wine wasn't!

Day 14. Conimbriga - Coimbra (19kms) - Hotel Vale Gale.
Lots of places to lay your head in Coimbra.
This was good, ate out.
Close to bus station for trip back to Lisbon.

Day 15. Transfer back to Lisbon from Coimbra. Probably by bus.
Day 16. Free day to do touristy things in Lisbon.
Day 17. Depart Portugal.

Hope it's useful when you come to plan your walk.
Sheena
Thank you, thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back