• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Slow Ways in Great Britain

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmm. We spent this morning walking, or at least trying to walk, one of the old Drove ways that criss-cross Sussex. Returning to our originating point via the old parish paths that linked neighbouring churches. The usual mix of new-built-housing path diversions, golf-courses, neglected stiles and "get-orf-my land" notices made for a few navigational challenges and a couple of improvisations but otherwise a good day in the sun-shine. It's a great concept and one used by anyone who can actually read a map and is prepared to discuss the law on public rights of way with some that they will encounter.

Prompted me to sign up as a tester anyway, though The Beloved suggested I should sign up as "Testy".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The Beloved suggested I should sign up as "Testy".
I'd be testy too, seeing golf courses and being confronted with the 'get orf my land' sorts.
Sending you a link to something amusung and sobering at the same time, Tinca. It's inflammatory and off topic. 🙃

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In The Guardian published June 13, 2020 Jane Dunford reports on Slow Ways. This is an ambitious project begun during the recent lockdown to link in Great Britain all cities, townships and villages via little used pathways. More than 7,000 linked routes have recently been recorded and will be tested by volunteer walkers later this summer.

Read more here.

www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/13/how-the-slow-ways-network-could-change-walking-in-britain
Thank you mspath
We will look this one up!
We've been both amazed and delighted walking in Essex on some of the 6000 km public rights of way as those we've walked on are always well kept. Even the farmers make rights of way across their fields, and when we've managed to get lost and , meet the farmers they've always been so polite in steering us in the right direction

Tincanter...
Yes Testy...we're always getting lost......his fault!!!!!

Hmm. We spent this morning walking, or at least trying to walk, one of the old Drove ways that criss-cross Sussex. Returning to our originating point via the old parish paths that linked neighbouring churches. The usual mix of new-built-housing path diversions, golf-courses, neglected stiles and "get-orf-my land" notices made for a few navigational challenges and a couple of improvisations but otherwise a good day in the sun-shine. It's a great concept and one used by anyone who can actually read a map and is prepared to discuss the law on public rights of way with some that they will encounter.

Prompted me to sign up as a tester anyway, though The Beloved suggested I should sign up as "Testy".
Hi Tincanter
Re those neglected stiles.......
This is from one of our walks recently
A very lonely stileimage.jpeg

Didn't know whether to go over it or around it!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Tincanter
Re those neglected stiles.......
This is from one of our walks recently
A very lonely stileView attachment 76897

Didn't know whether to go over it or around it!!!
Well, Annette at least you have stiles to be able to go over or around them, even if they are sometimes overgrown. In the US we have no welcoming stiles. If we are not an animal in a pen owned by the landowner we have absolutely no access to stiles on private land without permission. Thank God for our National parks, state parks and public forests, although they have become over run with tourists.

I've signed up. Wouldn't be the first time I've needed to discuss access and rights of way with landowners. Mind you they often have my sympathy!

although they have become over run with tourists.
Steady Chrissy, every tourist is a potential pilgrim. Everyone who gets the chance to experience another world to their own has the opportunity of discovery. Hey, I don't even dislike the golfers - its just the weird world they live in that I struggle with :)

And my world is weird enough. Every Sturgeon I catch has to be offered to the Queen; one tenth of all my Eel catch belongs to the Earl Domaine; I cannot take Bunting or Martlett on a Sunday; and the fore-shore where I gather sea-weed belongs to three different land owners depending on the state of the tide.

But I can always walk in a straight line, subject to the bends, from Erewhon to Llareggub whenever I want. ;):)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In The Guardian published June 13, 2020 Jane Dunford reports on Slow Ways. This is an ambitious project begun during the recent lockdown to link in Great Britain all cities, townships and villages via little used pathways. More than 7,000 linked routes have recently been recorded and will be tested by volunteer walkers later this summer.

Read more here.

www.theguardian.com/travel/2020/jun/13/how-the-slow-ways-network-could-change-walking-in-britain
As an Aussie walkder who had a fantastic couple of months last year walking the South West Coast Path in the UK, I think this idea of a slow ways network is a fabulous one. I really look forward to seeing the network once it becomes available publicly. Thanks for drawing it to our attention.

Most read last week in this forum

An article in the weekend edition of the Irish Times. I hope it can be accessed. If not, just follow the website above. Go n-éirí an bóthar leat, Credit for Gaelic version, @wayfarer...
The official Via Francigena site has published a list of free walks ** happening in 2024. If you happen to be passing through you might want to take part - or avoid that section that day. (**...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.