• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small backpack or daypack

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances April 2020
I've been planning on carrying my 36L Osprey Kyte backpack as a daypack while sending a bag forward every day. I decided this is silly and I want to buy a smaller backpack as my backpack to carry. I was looking at the 30L Osprey Tempest as a daypack. The reviews on the REI website don't seem to be very good. Have any of you used this one?

If you sent a bag forward every day, what backpack did you use? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I use an Osprey 34 L and my wife an Osprey 24 L
They both fit all our stuff! No need to use a baggage service.

If you need to use such a service for some reason, you probably only need 10-12 L. as a day pack.
You wouldn't need to fit much in. Rain gear, spare socks, 1st aid kit, food and water.....

reviews on the REI website don't seem to be very good
The complaints on REI were about comfort, which is a very individual matter. Either the pack is comfortable for you, or it is not. I see that the Tempest 20 got mostly very good reviews and it would be large enough. You need to test them.

I recommend having a hip belt and sternum strap even for a smaller day pack since you will still be carrying several kg.

Personally, I use a 31L Osprey Talon for everything. If I needed bag transport due to injury or whatever, I would put some things into another transport bag and I would carry the Osprey Talon with a lighter load since I know it is comfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The complaints on REI were about comfort, which is a very individual matter. Either the pack is comfortable for you, or it is not. I see that the Tempest 20 got mostly very good reviews and it would be large enough. You need to test them.

I recommend having a hip belt and sternum strap even for a smaller day pack since you will still be carrying several kg.

Personally, I use a 31L Osprey Talon for everything. If I needed bag transport due to injury or whatever, I would put some things into another transport bag and I would carry the Osprey Talon with a lighter load since I know it is comfortable.

A good point. Very small bags may not be as comfortable due to their lighter construction, particular regarding the hip belt, shoulder straps and adjustments like load lifters.

I see that the Tempest 20 got mostly very good reviews and it would be large enough. You need to test them.
I use the tempest 20 here at home for day walks, it’s perfect (for me). I tried smaller backpacks (I carry very little, obviously) but they weren’t as comfortable.

If you need to use such a service for some reason, you probably only need 10-12 L. as a day pack.
You wouldn't need to fit much in. Rain gear, spare socks, 1st aid kit, food and water.....

Quite. And what is left to be transported? A sleeping bag, towel, soap and 1 change of clothes.... 🤨

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Quite. And what is left to be transported? A sleeping bag, towel, soap and 1 change of clothes.... 🤨

Not much, but You will see from other threads the OP needs to limit her pack weight due to health issues.

My wife and I are going to walk the Great Glen Way in Scotland in a manner that only requires a day pack. She is using an Osprey Sirrus 24 which she has found to be quite comfortable. It has a ventilated mesh trapeze back and an adjustable length torso panel which make it very comfortable and easy to adjust for size.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have the the Tempest 20 for my local hikes and it works great. Perhaps this might be a better choice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My wife and I are going to walk the Great Glen Way in Scotland in a manner that only requires a day pack. She is using an Osprey Sirrus 24 which she has found to be quite comfortable. It has a ventilated mesh trapeze back and an adjustable length torso panel which make it very comfortable and easy to adjust for size.
I am doing the Great Glen Way this summer, thanks for the tip! Maybe I will see you there!

I use a very small and light Sea to Summit daypack. This is because I don't send my main backpack to be transported every day, just sometimes when I anticipate a particularly strenuous stage. So, the main consideration for me is the weight of the daypack. I bought mine from the store in SJPP (the outdoor store near the pilgrims advice centre) when I wanted to send my bag with Express Bourricot over to Roncesvalles.

I am doing the Great Glen Way this summer, thanks for the tip! Maybe I will see you there!
I am also doing the Great Glen Way this summer after the West Highland Way. I'll be camping so will definitely need more than 20 litres!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been planning on carrying my 36L Osprey Kyte backpack as a daypack while sending a bag forward every day. I decided this is silly and I want to buy a smaller backpack as my backpack to carry. I was looking at the 30L Osprey Tempest as a daypack. The reviews on the REI website don't seem to be very good. Have any of you used this one?

If you sent a bag forward every day, what backpack did you use? Thanks for any advice you can give me.
I looked for just this type of daypack, but I wanted one with a true hip belt (that transfers pack weight off the shoulders and onto the hips). All the ones I looked at in 2018, including the Ospreys, had a simple waist strap that did not do this. Then I stumbled across packs designed specifically for trail runners. I got one made by karrimor and it met my needs beautifully for 300 miles on the Frances. This pack also has well-designed shoulder straps and a "wind tunnel" back design that keeps you cooler by keeping the pack off your back. I didn't carry much weight but it was enough that I was glad I didn't have the pack weight bearing down on my shoulders.

As a single person, I have used a Osprey Kestrel 48L for my first two trips. That will change for my next trip this year or next. My entire pack and needs will go into a 30L Free Spirit Travel Backpack by Gobi Gear. Once I got my contents down below 10 lb, I could not justify a 2.5 to 3 lb pack to carry it so I started looking for the best choice I could find offering as many features as bigger packs. This one is my answer to that.

It may seem to be a stretch to minimize what you take with you and honestly, it is a matter of priorities, that are different for everyone, weight or to carry what you need with weight being a lower priority.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.