• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small digital camera

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Sidestepping the to-bring-or-not-to-bring-a-camera debate for the time being, does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive small digital camera (used/refurb is fine) which has manual function and won't break the bank? Being able to afford and/or operate one will be the first tipping point. Thanks!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I carried a small Nikon Coolpix with a telephoto on my first Camino. Took great photos. I had a transfer dongle that allowed me to upload to my iPad/iPhone.
But, since then I've upgraded my iPhone and it does almost as well and I can edit and post immediately.
If you have a good phone camera, no need for a digital camera.

I carried a small Nikon Coolpix with a telephoto on my first Camino. Took great photos. I had a transfer dongle that allowed me to upload to my iPad/iPhone.
I too had a Nikon Coolpix. An L29. Not only a great camera. But run on AA batteries. In the 7 weeks I was in Spain . I only changed the batteries 3 times. Taking well over 1500 shots. I did this so as to not used my phone battery. Which I only charged every 5 days or so. While I watched others run out of phone charge mid day. Taking lots of shots. And yes also up loaded them to a dongel.
However that was 7 years ago. And you cannot get a replaceable battery compact camera anymore.
Phone batteries are much better these days. If you still want to use a compact. You'll have to settle for the rechargeable lithium battery ones. Which means another device you'll have to plug in and charge at your accommodation.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I recently purchased a 10 year old Lumix TZ7 for 10% of the former retail price (about $40). It's has enough technology and its a Leica lens. Couple of examples. I have a Canon EOS DSLR but the Lumix is so light and useable, it's the one I prefer for travel.

As is usual with technical products, purchasing second-hand quality pays off

Attachments

• Geese1_300mm.JPG
    Geese1_300mm.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 38
  • Lambeth_Palace_25mm.JPG
    Lambeth_Palace_25mm.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 38
Much depends on what you want to do with a camera, and if you have a smartphone, how good the camera is on that. I still carry a compact Olympus, the SZ-16, which is nearly a decade old. It is starting to show its age, but I cannot get the same results from my two-year old smartphone with its four different lenses in most shooting situations. The phone has a couple of more modern features, like HDR processing, that aren't available on my camera, but which will be available on more modern compact cameras. I suspect it will be a close run thing when I upgrade my phone whether to continue with a separate camera.

The difficulty will be finding a camera with full manual functionality. This hasn't been a regular feature on compact cameras over the years, although you will find it on some bridge style cameras and on micro 4/3 cameras. There are new compact digital cameras like the Lumix TZ220 that do have this, but it isn't an inexpensive camera.

Good luck with your search.

Sidestepping the to-bring-or-not-to-bring-a-camera debate for the time being, does anyone have recommendations for an inexpensive small digital camera (used/refurb is fine) which has manual function and won't break the bank? Being able to afford and/or operate one will be the first tipping point. Thanks!
When you say manual function do you mean the ability to set shutter speed/aperture/ISO and balance? Hard to find on a budget. I'm always amazed by raving reviews for an affordable camera which turns out to cost mega bucks.

I take a Fuji Finepix AX500 which was bought at the last minute before a Camino as I'd dropped my usual compact and the lens turret jammed.

The Fuji is about the size of a pack of cigarettes, weighs 160g, has a 5x zoom and takes 14MP shots. It runs forever on 2 AA batteries. Not fully manual but you can set it for different "scenes".
Simple to use and has never let me down, I wouldn't be heartbroken if it was lost, stolen or broken because it would be easy to replace - there's a brand new, never out of the box one for sale on eBay UK for about $25 at present and there's a used one for sale on eBay USA for $30 too:

AX500

As an aside there are some great smartphone apps that allow fully manual control but I still prefer a real camera (my camera of choice is a Yashica twin lens reflex but that's never going hiking with me!) and my nephew who is a pro photographer/lecturer in graphic arts agrees!

EDIT: the one thing I don't like about it is the fact that when you do have to change the batteries you have to reset the time and date - not a big thing though.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have a Nikon coolpix camera and it has been excellent. There is only one I can see at a possibly affordable price here, the Nikon Coolpix L31 . This one is on the UK site looks like a returned-re-issued item but will serve as a guide if nothing else. Takes AA batteries so I always carry a full spare set but they do last well and no need to be tied to a charger. I bought a carry case with a pouch for batteries. The camera needs an SD card so check whether there is one included or you need to buy a couple, and the correct size. Some cameras cannot cope with overlarge cards.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I carry a Canon SX 620 in addition to my phone. The Canon has a long optical zoom lens, which comes in handy and the phone can't match. Not sure of your budget, but it retails for just over $300.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have a Panasonic Lumix purchased in 2016. Great zoom. Battery rechargeable and lasts a couple days. Weighs 8 ounces. Carried it in my waist pack for easy access. Wifi capable to send photos to phone for posting or use cord to transfer. Carried it on my Camino as phone pics just don't do it for me. Mainly due to lack of good zoom. It was less than $300 USD.

Interested to know what you foresee manual control used for. I ask because in my experience manual controls have allowed me to have long shutter speeds to capture silky moving water, clouds, etc, to bring in more light in dark times like sunrise/sunset, Cathedral interiors, etc, or to create very shallow (portraits) or deep (landscapes) DOF. While I’m guilty of carrying a full-frame DSLR on a couple of Caminos, I have recently started using several apps on my iPhone that allow a version of each of the preceding functions, specifically Slow Shutter, Even Longer, ProCamera and Adobe Lightroom. I will admit I was pleasantly surprised at how well they work with the newer iPhones although no single app was sufficient in itself. That said, each app was only a few dollars so comparing that to the cost of a new camera it wasn’t so bad. I’ve been carrying a small gorillapod tripod and it pairs very well and allows the very long shutter speeds. I’m not 100% convinced this will be my kit next time out but with good photos and great videos, I’m certainly leaning that way and it may be a consideration for your quest too. Good luck.

There's a range of Sony RX100s. I have a Mark 1, which is still a good camera. I think you could probably get a good used one for less than £150.

The latest is the Mark 7, which would set you back over £1000 new. Eek!

They are small but very capable. Good manual control and large sensor (compared with other compacts). The later ones have a pop-up viewfinder.

I took mine of the CF this year, and didn't regret it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am a professional photographer and I took a Sony VR 100 with me when I did the Camino Frances in 2019. It worked as good as my high dollar, large and heavy pro cameras. It fits in the palm of your hand, and I used it on "auto" mode and it made over 3000 excellent photos. Great compact camera.

I am a professional photographer and I took a Sony VR 100 with me when I did the Camino Frances in 2019. It worked as good as my high dollar, large and heavy pro cameras. It fits in the palm of your hand, and I used it on "auto" mode and it made over 3000 excellent photos. Great compact camera.
Sony VR 100?

I recently purchased a 10 year old Lumix TZ7 for 10% of the former retail price (about $40). It's has enough technology and its a Leica lens. Couple of examples. I have a Canon EOS DSLR but the Lumix is so light and useable, it's the one I prefer for travel.

As is usual with technical products, purchasing second-hand quality pays off
I bought a Lumix on sale in Burgos when my other camera died due to the wet. Excellent honest salesman. He compared the specs with the updated model and said no, buy the superseded one.

Back in Oz some time later I noticed a mate on a car club run had the same Lumix. He and his wife bought it on a trip when they forgot to take their expensive Nikon. When they got home the Nikon was chucked in a back drawer.

On outings now I generally use my iPhone. More convenient to carry. But the quality of the photos and its versatility nowhere near match the Lumix.

De colores

Bogong

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I still say the one thing that weighs it up for me is the fact that, unless you have an older compact that takes disposable batteries. You stuck with another device to leave charging somewhere.

Just about any 20-25 year old compact from a quality manufacturer can take good photos - examples are the Canon SD200 and SD300, Nikon Coolpix, and similar offerings from Panasonic, etc., but many are limited to full auto or semi-auto. Compacts from the past ~ 10 yrs have improved features, notably image stabilization, larger zoom range, and better low light sensitivity.

At the other end of the compact spectrum is the Sony RX100 series. These can operate manual, record both JPG and RAW, and for a pocket camera have a physically large sensor that makes almost-SLR quality photos that enlarge well to ~ 20x30in. I've carried the original Mk i version for the past 10 yrs, available for ~ $150-200 (eBay in US). The Mk iii model and later have a LED viewfinder which is very handy, especially in bright light, though they cost more. The RX100 is a bit thick for most pockets and better carried in a smaller belt or shoulder case - always a good idea as pockets are huge sources of dust and compact cameras aren't sealed.

Modern digital cameras use rechargeable batteries - check the capacity of your's, carry 1 or 2 spares, and extra memory cards (which sometimes fail). Monitor camera's performance regularly and back up to other media or the cloud to reduce risk of loss.

I have used a Sony RX100 Mark 3 on my first Camino pilgrimage, and an RX100 Mark 5 on my second. The Mark 5 is a better camera with much better zoom. Fits perfectly in a Osprey small camera bag, which fits on my backpack shoulder strap. See attached photo of a very tired-looking me with the camera at the ready as we stopped high up in the Pyrenees.DSC03319.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If your shooting in manual,can we assume your already experienced enough to fully utilise what those features offer?

If you are there ime pretty sure any camera with manual mode you pick up will give you the results you desire..up to the cameras era limits.

Budget isnt always a good bargain, modern eye focus from sony cameras esp will get you portrait quality results= sharp looking=better results in my book with less wasted time or effort.
Nikon and canon also have excellent focus.
Get as big a sensor as budget allows for better low light.
AA batteries will be burnt through and an extra expense.
Panasonic and Nikon have waterproof cameras for one less HUGE worry out there...and considering the nature of the journey? Would be a benefit.
I use SanDisk extreme pro cards exclusively
Havent had one die yet, including full wash dry cycles,left in a hot car,salt water exposure,XRays,physical things happening to them.
As to battery availability, search and see how available the batteries are for your camera..some/most are out of stock as oem and aftermarket ones sometimes are absolute garbage..a few charging cycles..and done.
Ime sure this is all old news to you.
Canon colors are more natural
Nikon more flat.

Dont forget a card reader, dont skimp..you will have many heart attacks until you get a good one

As mentioned, the Sony lines seem a good choice..the newer the better.

I use an old canon SX130 IS and its a fun little eater of batteries@12 mp... old as dirt.
My work camera, a Canon 5d mk II at 21 mp and can shoot 3-4k shots easy...old as dirt.
My cell has a 108 mp sensor,can shoot the full moon from a tripod, the milky way, shoots 8k video and has a 1 tb card...not so old and has scads more low light capability than my DSLR.

Its all in the artists hand to get the results.

I’ve been falling back in love with my little Pentax Optio. Takes magnificent photos, small, sturdy, lightweight.
Am I the only person unaware that film cameras are making a comeback? Like vinyl records for similar reasons, the photos seem richer, somehow. The costs are very reasonable, cameras are easy to come by, and I seem to put more thought into the shot I am going to take when I use film.

There's a range of Sony RX100s. I have a Mark 1, which is still a good camera. I think you could probably get a good used one for less than £150.

The latest is the Mark 7, which would set you back over £1000 new. Eek!

They are small but very capable. Good manual control and large sensor (compared with other compacts). The later ones have a pop-up viewfinder.

I took mine of the CF this year, and didn't regret it.

I've had my eye on one of those.
But I think I'll stick with a phone for now.
I'm due an upgrade anyway.

Plus if you need 'manual' control there are some great Phone Apps that help you do this.
Like Filmic Pro and loads of others.

Of course sensor size is the big downside with phones.........

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Forum, thou art a wealth of various knowledge. Thank you each for taking the time to provide such thorough responses.

In case I sounded like I’m some suave photographer, I’m not. 40 years ago (literally, like this month, like right now), I was on my first solo trip to Europe (Let’s Go, Europe!), and loved taking photographs with a huge old school borrowed Canon. On my return, I bought a Fujica for $125 (which seemed like a very grown-up price to pay all by myself!) at B & H Photo on Broadway (if that means something to you) in my hometown of New York City, took a photo class at my college, and returned to Europe, now knowing how to fiddle with shutter speed, depth of field, aperture, etc. I quickly gained muscle memory where I could do what I hoped to happen, and often it happened, though I still couldn't have really explained why. I used the camera for several decades years. Now it, and its lens, which has fallen out, are in a drawer for nostalgia sake (or if I ever want to repair it and deal with celluloid again).

At some point, someone gave me a Canon DSLR. Even just pointing and shooting, it was mystifying to me. I took a weekend-long workshop on how to use it. I would have to stop in my tracks to look back and forth between the cheat sheet and the screen, pressing and pressing and pressing. I try to be game, but I just want a different experience, analog, tactile, a la my beloved Fujica (but with digital images). But also, it's hard; dyslexia, dyscalculia, numbers, visuals, charts, views within views...I become overwhelmed and frustrated - springs boing out of my brain like in a Looney Tune. I remember zero from that class. I’ve long since just been using my iPhone.

In any case, I'll take loads of notes on what you all wrote (as I did when shoe- and backpack-shopping, which I used at REI and Sports Basement with great success!). It just so happens that I am visiting my family in New York right now, and maybe I’ll have time to go on over to B & H and have them hold my hand a bit and see if there’s a magic lightweight affordable camera that will recall my early days without breaking my brain, my back or the bank.

I try to be game, but I just want a different experience, analog, tactile, a la my beloved Fujica (but with digital images).
This is not a complete answer, but if you do find a suitable camera that allows manual control, check that it has an auto-iso setting. Most do these days. Within limits, using auto-iso allows you to manually set both aperture and exposure times and still get a correctly exposed image. There are some downsides to this process if the camera has to set very high iso values in dark conditions, but you will retain the other elements of creative control that you previously had with a film camera.

Best part?
Right now there is a trend toward retro style cameras,harkening back to old school styles!
Ime sure you will find a perfect one!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’ve been falling back in love with my little Pentax Optio. Takes magnificent photos, small, sturdy, lightweight.
Am I the only person unaware that film cameras are making a comeback? Like vinyl records for similar reasons, the photos seem richer, somehow. The costs are very reasonable, cameras are easy to come by, and I seem to put more thought into the shot I am going to take when I use film.
SO glad you didn't refer to them as "analogue" cameras, and you're right, if you've only got a limited number of shots on a roll and you can't erase and "do over" it concentrates the mind wonderfully. The trouble is the only film cameras I've got left are all very heavy:

1657834383651.png
Fuji S645s (880g 15 exposures on 120 film)

1657834438465.png

Yashica 635 (1220g! 12 exposures on 120 film)

1657834522657.png

And my Dad's old Zeiss 521 (500g 12 exposures on 120)

Ive still got an old Nikon..relative to me,film camera bought back in the 90s with dismal lenses.
Sadly..ime a visual learner and absolutely needed the visual back of my little canon to FI HI NALLY....begin to understand what was going on inside!!!
Looking to get a Fujifilm medium format camera with too many megapixles for my own good.

But..The Hasselblads have an Ipad app to be able to post process on the device.

I can go on and on about the pleasures that taking photos brings me..and countless others! And am hoping the OP finds their perfect camera at that excellent store!

SO glad you didn't refer to them as "analogue" cameras, and you're right, if you've only got a limited number of shots on a roll and you can't erase and "do over" it concentrates the mind wonderfully. The trouble is the only film cameras I've got left are all very heavy:

View attachment 129435
Fuji S645s (880g 15 exposures on 120 film)

View attachment 129436

Yashica 635 (1220g! 12 exposures on 120 film)

View attachment 129437

And my Dad's old Zeiss 521 (500g 12 exposures on 120)
I know what you mean, but I am happy to tell you that your concern simply isn’t true.

The local place I discovered is very clean, modern, 21st century, and handles up to date equipment - it isn’t an antique store, LOL!!

They offered to buy my little Olympus Stylus for an amazing amount of money. That’s when I saw that, not only do they sell new film cameras (lots of plastic, though) but they have an active business of putting point-and-shoot cameras in the hands of new fans.

You expressed it beautifully when you said that your mind is concentrated on getting the right picture When you use film and have to predict what it will look like.

I was very shocked when I noticed the array of disposable cameras for sale in a local general store. They must have been there all the time but I never noticed them before - or at least not in the past dozen years.

If you like, I’d be happy to share the info on the store I work with here with You and anyone else on this thread.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know what you mean, but I am happy to tell you that your concern simply isn’t true.

The local place I discovered is very clean, modern, 21st century, and handles up to date equipment - it isn’t an antique store, LOL!!

They offered to buy my little Olympus Stylus for an amazing amount of money. That’s when I saw that, not only do they sell new film cameras (lots of plastic, though) but they have an active business of putting point-and-shoot cameras in the hands of new fans.

You expressed it beautifully when you said that your mind is concentrated on getting the right picture When you use film and have to predict what it will look like.

I was very shocked when I noticed the array of disposable cameras for sale in a local general store. They must have been there all the time but I never noticed them before - or at least not in the past dozen years.

If you like, I’d be happy to share the info on the store I work with here with You and anyone else on this thread.
Sadly Canterbury (UK) is a long way from Hawaii ;)

Keep on snapping!

Sadly Canterbury (UK) is a long way from Hawaii ;)

Keep on snapping!
I’m moving to Germany and they do business by mail. I’m a happy camper.
They send you a digital copy of the photo, you decide if you want them to make copies, enlargements, etc., they send you the negatives.
It isn’t as fast as digital but I think there is a place for it. Glad to hear of another film fan!

If you do go with a AA battery powered camera you want to use the right type of batteries. Use ones for hi-tech devices. Some batteries are good for constant power like for use in flashlights and others for short bursts of power like cameras. The batteries will work in the wrong applications but not so well. Think of sprinters and marathoners in each other's race.

With the camera I used on my first camino I could get a weeks worth of use with good batteries but at one point I ran out and for a few days I had to rely on the cheap batteries sold in tiendas. Some would not even last a day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi on my last Camino Frances in 2015, I took my mobile for photos etc and also a small digital camera for backup, the extra weight was no problem, if i took a interesting photo with my mobile, I also took one with the camera , in case I had trouble with one, i still had my photos, to walk all that way and lose my mobile or camera and all the photos would not be my idea of fun, but to each his own, that's why I took a backup, i hope to return SAP and will still take both.. buen Camino to all

dig

Here are a few things:
  • The Sony RX-100 consistently ranks as the best compact camera in most reviews.
  • There are several models (Mark 1-Mark 7) Here is a good comparison table of the different models: https://photographylife.com/sony-rx100-series-comparison
  • Since you will be taking most of your photographs during the day, I would recommend getting a Mark IV or newer since they have a built-in viewfinder.
  • If video is important the Mark IV (and newer) have better video performance.
  • If you want a larger telephoto lens, then you want the Mark VI or Mark VII which have a 24-200mm lens. The other models have 28/24-70/100mm lenses.
  • I have/used the Sony RX-100 Mark VI for my 2 Caminos (2018 and 2022) and the camera has been GREAT. Here is a link to my 2018 Camino (all of the photos were taken with my RX-100 Mark VI) https://jjscamino.wordpress.com/tag/blog/
  • YES, the RX-100 is expensive, but you will not be disappointed with the results. (eBay has used Mark VI for ~$500-700)
  • FYI, regardless of which camera you buy/use, you will get the best results using/shooting with RAW files (not jpg) and using a photo editor (like Adobe Lightroom). This is what I use.
  • Yes, phone cameras are getting better. However, they are still way behind what you can get from the Sony RX100.
  • If you get the Sony RX100, I would recommend getting the following (I have both):
Hope this was helpful.

Cheers,

-jj

My second response: I have two Sony RX100's, a Mk i from when they were introduced and a used Mk iv which has a pop up OLED viewfinder (introduced with the Mk iii) in addition to the rear display. Both cameras make excellent images, even in low light, and sometimes I carry both - the Mk i for its longer zoom and to have a back up. The menu, though different from Canon's, is arranged logically and allows a great deal of flexibility - there also is a physical button on the camera's back that displays at once a selection of one's most used menu functions. One can reassign some of the physical buttons and dials to suit one's shooting preferences. I toggle between a 2sec. shutter delay to reduce camera shake on landscape shots and instantaneous shutter for action shots, and shoot in burst mode both to capture action and when low light forces slow shutter speeds. I often use "P" mode, rotating the lens ring to change shutter speed/aperture together while maintaining constant exposure. The cameras can be set to auto bracket, creating three images at selectable exposure intervals. The RX100's can be set to simultaneously record both RAW and JPEG files, the former for optimization when you return home and the latter for immediate sharing. Many modern digital compacts have comparable functions.

When time allows I like to choose parameters for the shot. However, one of my friends simply leaves his in one of the full auto modes and does about as well. Focus and exposure capture are accurate and reasonably fast even on the Mk i, but the Mk vi and vii models employ phase detection focusing which is still quicker.

I occasionally employ manual mode, usually at night when on a tripod (but then I might as well select a DSLR). I believe most people using compact digitals let the auto features do the work, they're that good now.

A friend has a new Canon G7x (~ $700) which has the same size sensor and he's very happy with it. No viewfinder, but the rear display is visible in full sun. It feels better in my hands and has nice controls. The Sony's might make slightly sharper images, but it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I use the Olympus OM 10

Forum, thou art a wealth of various knowledge. Thank you each for taking the time to provide such thorough responses.

In case I sounded like I’m some suave photographer, I’m not. 40 years ago (literally, like this month, like right now), I was on my first solo trip to Europe (Let’s Go, Europe!), and loved taking photographs with a huge old school borrowed Canon. On my return, I bought a Fujica for $125 (which seemed like a very grown-up price to pay all by myself!) at B & H Photo on Broadway (if that means something to you) in my hometown of New York City, took a photo class at my college, and returned to Europe, now knowing how to fiddle with shutter speed, depth of field, aperture, etc. I quickly gained muscle memory where I could do what I hoped to happen, and often it happened, though I still couldn't have really explained why. I used the camera for several decades years. Now it, and its lens, which has fallen out, are in a drawer for nostalgia sake (or if I ever want to repair it and deal with celluloid again).

At some point, someone gave me a Canon DSLR. Even just pointing and shooting, it was mystifying to me. I took a weekend-long workshop on how to use it. I would have to stop in my tracks to look back and forth between the cheat sheet and the screen, pressing and pressing and pressing. I try to be game, but I just want a different experience, analog, tactile, a la my beloved Fujica (but with digital images). But also, it's hard; dyslexia, dyscalculia, numbers, visuals, charts, views within views...I become overwhelmed and frustrated - springs boing out of my brain like in a Looney Tune. I remember zero from that class. I’ve long since just been using my iPhone.

In any case, I'll take loads of notes on what you all wrote (as I did when shoe- and backpack-shopping, which I used at REI and Sports Basement with great success!). It just so happens that I am visiting my family in New York right now, and maybe I’ll have time to go on over to B & H and have them hold my hand a bit and see if there’s a magic lightweight affordable camera that will recall my early days without breaking my brain, my back or the bank.
Lol! Have fun in NYC (I’m heading there in a week, also). Where is the camera shop you are going to, just out of curiosity?
I hope you find the camera of your dreams.

Lol! Have fun in NYC (I’m heading there in a week, also). Where is the camera shop you are going to, just out of curiosity?
I hope you find the camera of your dreams.
@Kathy F. B & H is on 9th Avenue in the 30's in Manhattan, not far from Penn Station or the Empire State Building. It's like the Legoland of camera/video/tech stores.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for so many thoughts and ideas here. Here's what happened:

I spent at least 2 hours at B & H photo and video in Manhattan last week when I was in NY. (I'd originally intended to go see a photo retrospective of William Klein at the International Center for Photography, but alas never got there.) This place is like the Legoland of photo/video/tech. A bit overwhelming actually - but very chill at the Used counter, where I started.

The guy was quite droll in a way I Iiked and very knowledgable. He really understood what I was asking for: an affordable compact DSLR camera that behaves like a non-digital camera and will not make my head explode from too many menus, etc. But... not at all encouraging. He was like, "Good luck! I want that, too!" He said, "You'll only get that with a $4000-6000 Leica." He talked about all the menus inside menus inside menus - he talked all that is so not necessary (settings like, "Appetizing entrees" and "tasty desserts" for food shots). He looked at my notes from you all - and still felt that, either it wasn't worth it to get an old camera and/or it would still all not be what I wanted.

Still, I took a look all around what was there, and I got an education. I got to see how they operated and what the felt like. But counter guy was right... it was just not what I want. When I asked one person about manual focus on an entry level Nikon, he said, "Well, it's a bit tricky..." If they're saying that, well...

I went back to the first guy to debrief, and he was like, "See? That's what I told you. Maybe take a look at the mirrorless ones..." He showed me a used one that was about $650. Boy, was it gorgeous. Just the whole mid-century look of it all.

But that was going to be even more expensive, and by then I was too spent to go to another floor and start anew, and was coming to the conclusion that:

-I can't afford a new camera.
-I can't really afford any camera (and would not feel confident to buy a used one online)
-I don't want to spend the time learning menus.
-I should look into getting an updated iPhone. I'm still using an iPhone 8 Plus From 2017. I can barely even see what I'm taking a photo of on the screen. I know there'll be a learning curve. Not just for the photo stuff. Ugh. And those phones are expensive. But that's how you do it. It's not extraneous. Also, the 8 Plus is humongous, so any newer phone will be smaller than that. I have friends whose photographs are exquisite, and I've always wondered why. It's because they're using a newer model of the phone!

Anyway, that's my long-winded denoument to this tale. Now I just have to find an afternoon to get to the Verizon store... (And presumably the photo exhibit I missed in New York will come to San Francisco at some point.)

Thanks for so many thoughts and ideas here. Here's what happened:

I spent at least 2 hours at B & H photo and video in Manhattan last week when I was in NY. (I'd originally intended to go see a photo retrospective of William Klein at the International Center for Photography, but alas never got there.) This place is like the Legoland of photo/video/tech. A bit overwhelming actually - but very chill at the Used counter, where I started.

The guy was quite droll in a way I Iiked and very knowledgable. He really understood what I was asking for: an affordable compact DSLR camera that behaves like a non-digital camera and will not make my head explode from too many menus, etc. But... not at all encouraging. He was like, "Good luck! I want that, too!" He said, "You'll only get that with a $4000-6000 Leica." He talked about all the menus inside menus inside menus - he talked all that is so not necessary (settings like, "Appetizing entrees" and "tasty desserts" for food shots). He looked at my notes from you all - and still felt that, either it wasn't worth it to get an old camera and/or it would still all not be what I wanted.

Still, I took a look all around what was there, and I got an education. I got to see how they operated and what the felt like. But counter guy was right... it was just not what I want. When I asked one person about manual focus on an entry level Nikon, he said, "Well, it's a bit tricky..." If they're saying that, well...

I went back to the first guy to debrief, and he was like, "See? That's what I told you. Maybe take a look at the mirrorless ones..." He showed me a used one that was about $650. Boy, was it gorgeous. Just the whole mid-century look of it all.

But that was going to be even more expensive, and by then I was too spent to go to another floor and start anew, and was coming to the conclusion that:

-I can't really afford any camera (and would not feel confident to buy a used one online)
-I don't want to spend the time learning menus.
-I should look into getting an updated iPhone. I'm still using an iPhone 8 Plus From 2017. I can barely even see what I'm taking a photo of on the screen. I know there'll be a learning curve. Not just for the photo stuff. Ugh. And those phones are expensive. But that's how you do it. It's not extraneous. Also, the 8 Plus is humongous, so any newer phone will be smaller than that. I have friends whose photographs are exquisite, and I've always wondered why. It's because they're using a newer model of the phone!

Anyway, that's my long-winded denoument to this tale. Now I just have to find an afternoon to get to the Verizon store... (And presumably the photo exhibit I missed in New York will come to San Francisco at some point.)
Executive summary: your are making this too hard, get an inexpensive ~ 10-20yr old used camera (it only has to work) and start fooling around with it, maybe you can borrow one from a friend who's upgraded. It either will be good enough for your trip, or in a few weeks you will learn enough to make an informed decision on a better used camera. I also was reluctant initially, but it only took a few sessions to get comfortable with them.

- Technology basically had matured by 10yrs ago, ISO range and picture quality were excellent, and focus speed and accuracy very good. Further improvements have mainly been in esoteric features like accuracy of eye focus and moving subject tracking, important to some but not for basic travel photos. The 3-4MP of two decades ago made good photos and have more resolution than most modern computer screens, 10-12MP is extremely good and more or less comparable to 35mm color film. More resolution is needed only for large enlargements, and in cameras with small sensors compromises more important parameters, like low light performance.

- I don't know what you can afford, but if you're thinking about a new phone you probably can afford a 10yr old camera. Don't purchase anything like this sight unseen, unless there's a good return policy, but a reputable camera store with a return policy or warranty ought to be a safe source.

- You don't need to do much with menus. If there's sufficient light to see by, full automatic mode will give good results almost every time. There should be a physical dial for selecting full auto, aperture priority, shutter priority, P-mode. That's about all one ever needs while on the fly, but when you get interested in controlling focus and exposure areas, etc, you can consult the manual (Google) as you need them, and pretty soon you'll know your way around the menu. Take notes, consult youtube and Google.

- If you're iPhone 8 is still working you don't need a new one - the photos from my 10yr old Sony RX100 Mki (now ~ $150) are better quality than from my wife's iPhone 13, that's because the sensor is much, much larger, lens is better, and all of the manufacture's investment went into just the camera. My first iPhone was a 4S, I've had a 6+, and now use an original SE, all make satisfactory photos for most general purposes. iPhone photos look good because they do so much processing and correction in the phone (they also punch up color saturation), but if you want anything other than what your phone determined to do, you're more or less out of luck. With a decent digital camera and even the most basic photo editing program, such as in iPhotos, one has much more control over the end result and with about a minute's work can exceed what iPhones do. That being said, my phone always is with me and is good for quick shots and videos.

@ken2116 Over Thinker is my middle (or perhaps first) name! Thanks for taking the time to write out so much guidance.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’ll have time to go on over to B & H and have them hold my hand a bit and see if there’s a magic lightweight affordable camera that will recall my early days without breaking my brain, my back or the bank.
I went there online. Hoo, boy. A lot.

I found myself looking at external lenses that fit on phones. Has anyone tried these??
Looking for a decent zoom that I can use for birds. My now extinct Canon hybrid was perfect for that and of course they do not make it anymore.

Why stress on infinite menu's
Not trying to be flippant as photography is near and dear to me and many others.

Most folks will only use an auto mode or a pre set from the top dial. I use apature priority mode or rarely full manual mode
Back button auto focus
Center focus point and shoot away jpegs for the mundane and raw for the important.

There is less stress as you grow into the camera features .photography basics have not changed, only the equipment.
Knowing the basics..(composition is my weakness)...exposure triangle,adaquate read/write speed for your media=it matters
Hand feel

Mirrorless with evf
Mirrored with glass eye view..subjective

To me its all smoke and mirrors.
Does it take what I want,how I want it,when I want?
Film,electronic,kodak brownie,Hasselblad,Leica
All capture light.
I have the feeling you can pick up any camera and have an absolute blast after a minute or two orienting yourself!
Your going to find a wonderful camera soon and make amazing captures.

One last thought.
Where are you going to post online if any?
Smugmug
PBase
A search engine cloud storage
Social media ?

Some sites load full size images
Social media shrinks your hard work to postage stamp size 1-2 mp images
Emails will limit you to 9 mb or so...so thats an issue

I shoot 21 mp images
Cant email..but easy to process
About 6-7k images per 64 gig card

My itty bitty shoots small emailable..but rough images

Looking at a camera that will fill a 64 gig card with less than 64 pictures.
Have fun!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.