• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small, internal frame pack recommendations

Murgyman

Time of past OR future Camino
None yet
I don't know if my dream pack even exists but if anyone knows, it's you guys. So... I'm looking for a really small pack, probably 20 litres or so, just enough to carry a change of clothes or two, my phone, toiletries, and a poncho. Hubby and I will be staying in private accommodation and if we need anything en route, we'll buy it. It has to be a comfortable carry so frameless packs are out. And I'd really like a decent hip belt.
Is there such a thing?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't know if my dream pack even exists but if anyone knows, it's you guys. So... I'm looking for a really small pack, probably 20 litres or so, just enough to carry a change of clothes or two, my phone, toiletries, and a poncho. Hubby and I will be staying in private accommodation and if we need anything en route, we'll buy it. It has to be a comfortable carry so frameless packs are out. And I'd really like a decent hip belt.
Is there such a thing?
Don't know if this helps but frameless can be comfortable by just putting in a stiffener e.g. mine has a foam mat. You can also use sit mats which will do two jobs Buen camino.

Samarkand.

Have you tried the Osprey Hiklite? The 18L might be just what you are looking for. There is a suspended mesh backpanel with a light wire frame. The belt might not look as substantial as you are thinking, but it would serve well since you are not carrying much weight. Nice range of colors, too!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You might want to look at the Gregory Juno 24. It's lightweight and has a ventilated back panel.

I have the Juno 36 and it's super comfortable for me. I wore it fully loaded the other day on a 15 mile training hike, and almost forgot I had it on!

You might want to look at the Gregory Juno 24. It's lightweight and has a ventilated back panel.

I have the Juno 36 and it's super comfortable for me. I wore it fully loaded the other day on a 15 mile training hike, and almost forgot I had it on!

That looks pretty great, too! lolol maybe it's just me that wants a hikelite and I don't have a good reason to get one : )

I really like the look of the Juno 24 but it seems to be out of stock everywhere (I'm in the UK). Will try some of the smaller stockists.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is there such a thing?
Hi, personal preferences, but I’m not sure you need a hip belt with a 20 litre pack, there a limit to how much you can get into it and therefore how heavy it will be.

I’m not sure you need a hip belt with a 20 litre pack
change of clothes or two, my phone, toiletries, and a poncho
It is very important that the day pack be properly fitted and comfortable. I would still advise getting one with a hip belt of some sort, and certainly a chest strap. The weight may still be 3 or 4 kg when you include those items plus 1 kg of water, snacks, phone battery pack, sunscreen, etc.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As you're in the UK, there's a good selection of packs online at Sportsshoes, including some that might fit your specification:

Funnily enough, they're also a good place to buy sports shoes; I get my Altras from there.

Osprey Tempest 20 is framed and has a substantial hipbelt. Very comfortable for me and carry capacity quite sufficient.

Is there such a thing?
I took a 20lt pack first time and it was too small really. The Osprey Hikelite looks similar to my next pack (a discontinued Berghaus 25+5) at 26lt and you don't have to fill it. Really impressed by its weight too - as given on the site.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I took a 20lt pack first time and it was too small really. The Osprey Hikelite looks similar to my next pack (a discontinued Berghaus 25+5) at 26lt and you don't have to fill it. Really impressed by its weight too - as given on the site.
Capacity and weight looks good but a webbing hipbelt is a no go for me even if only carrying minimal gear. That is a problem I find with most small capacity backpacks or daypacks.

Is there such a thing?
My small girlfriend just went through this! The ones with the frames hurt her shoulder bones big time. The packs were heavy without anything in them! She kept taking them back to get a different one. Finally REI talked her into a 20 liter without frame! She loves it and leaves in two weeks!

For your described use, I would suggest looking at the Ultimate Direction, Fast Pack 20. It's a runners pack, so it has pockets and bottle holders on front, counteracting whatever weight you have in rear. Minimalist hip belt for stabilty because not for load that is balanced front to rear. Stabilizing chest strap is adjustable and all the pockets in front reduce need to take off pack to get stuff (phone, camera, snacks, water, etc.) as you walk.

I use it for long backcountry day hikes because I carry extra provisions in case of trouble. It is VERY comfortable. Ultra-marathoners RUN with these packs on, so they are built for comfort and durability.
Not cheap.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Capacity and weight looks good but a webbing hipbelt is a no go for me even if only carrying minimal gear. That is a problem I find with most small capacity backpacks or daypacks.
I am the opposite as I like the hip belt because, correctly adjusted, it keeps the pack weight on my hips and not my shoulders. :)
We are all so different in our preferences which is always good at it gives those asking questions plenty of room for thought.
One other good piece of advice we had was to go into a shop to buy a pack rather than ordering on-line if possible. That way you can try various packs for fit and comfort. The pack should have some weight put in, either of your own items or from shop stock.

I have an Osprey Talon 22 which I use for city breaks. The hipbelt is decent for the pack size and the dimensions fit the criteria for cabin luggage.

I use a Zpack Nero. 12 oz. I put a sit pad inside to stiffen it. I use it on local trail here in Washington state and used it last fall on my Camino. Total weight averaged about 10 lbs including water and snacks. Mine is 38 liters but it is never filled.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.