• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small, lightweight sleeping bag

biloute

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (summer 2014), Chemin du Puy & Camino Francés (possible summer 2019)
When I did the Camino a couple of years ago, some Europeans had very small, very lightweight sleeping bags. I've never seen these in the US. Do we have them anywhere, and not expensive? I'd like to do the Camino again, this time with my new husband, and I'm all for saving space, weight, and money.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I doubt you will be able to save on all three - I managed to save on the first two with a Mont Bell spiral down thermal sheet weighing 430 grams, but alas it was the most expensive item in my pack. I purchased mine from the UK, but the above link will take you to a US site where it costs $194.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I use a Macpac Snowflake sleeping bag liner , it is a down filled booster to use for really cold areas in your normal bag and weighs only 130 grams . It packs into its own self contained sack no bigger than a grapefruit .
Look for booster or inner bag down filled liners in serious hiking shops , they are warm enough for two season outdoor and four season indoor sleeping and are for all intents and purposes a bag unto themselves . They usually don't have zippers though .

When I did the Camino a couple of years ago, some Europeans had very small, very lightweight sleeping bags. I've never seen these in the US. Do we have them anywhere, and not expensive? I'd like to do the Camino again, this time with my new husband, and I'm all for saving space, weight, and money.

Biloute:

I am not sure what you consider light weight. Depending on the time of year you walk different sleep equipment might be required. I carry a Marmot down sleeping bag. It weighs 1lb 8oz's. (lightweight imo.) I also bring a silk sleeping liner which is nothing more than a silk sack with a place for a pillow ( very light). It is great for very warm days. I always walk in the Spring and the weather can vary greatly. I have never been cold.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:

Hi Biloute,

I found in a few places on this site some opinions about a Packable Down Thrown (ultralight, cheap and very small) from Costco (you will see its photo in the link below):

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/down-throws-at-costco-are-back.42623/

I just bought one for my trip in May and I hope it will be enough as I'm usually cold.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used a Costco down throw last May along with a silk liner and loved the throw. For this year, because I din't like feeling confined in the liner, I bought 2 meters (yards) of washable silk, hemmed the edges and attached it to one side of the throw. (kind of like a hot dog bun... yikes! I guess that would make me the hot dog ;) )In case I get too hot, I have attached two ties so I can roll up the throw, keeping it from falling on the ground yet still lie on the silk 'sheet'. The whole thing cost less than $30.

Oops... forgot to mention total weight of 1.37 lbs. I stuff it into a small waterproof stuff sack that I bought at WalMart.

Last edited:
I am planning on taking a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment. Here is a hyperlink to Revelation - Down: 850, Temperature: 40°, Length: Regular - 6', Width: Regular - 54", Weight: 13.81 ounces. I think the Revelation is more versatile than a traditional sleeping bag for the Camino. I also use it in my hammock. Western Mountaineering EverLite might be an option if you really want a sleeping bag, but significantly more expensive. I have an Alpinlite that is awesome that I use for backpacking.

I have a Sea to Summit down sleeping bag that weighs less than 8 oz and packs down to about the size of a water bottle, but it was very expensive (at least to me). I think you can find down quilts inexpensively that will do just as well for much less money and just a little more bulk. Try searching this forum. There are many threads on this subject, with lots of good ideas.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check out Amazon.com. Lot's of bags. Lot's of sizes and weights and a variety of prices.
This is an example of one on there. About thirty bucks and weighs a pound and a half.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FZL5VKS/?tag=casaivar02-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I used a Costco down throw last May along with a silk liner and loved the throw. For this year, because I don't like feeling confined, I bought 2 meters (yards) of washable silk, hemmed the edges and attached it to one side of the throw. In case I'm too hot, I have attached two ties so I can roll up the throw, keeping it from falling on the ground. The whole thing cost less than $30.

Oops... forgot to mention total weight of 1.37 lbs. I stuff it into a small waterproof stuff sack that I bought at WalMart.

Thank you BShea, good to know!

What would be on average the temperature in May (inside, of course)? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We travel with a silk sleep sack and light down travel blanket. We walked in March and April when it was cold. We were in only one albergue when the heat went out. We slept that night in our smart wool base layers.

Thanks everyone! I'll have to check out all those links. I don't actually know how lightweight the European bags were, but they packed down pretty small (about the size of a 2 liter bottle) and I think they said they only cost something like 40€. I could be wrong on that, though.

This is not an endorsement of any products or supplier, I only want to help. Try backcountry.com , marmot.com, sierratradingpost.com. rei.com all will have separate categories i.e. down/synthetic, weight or thermal rating. What you need for the albergues April to October should be 34 degrees + / synthetic / less than 3 lbs. (smaller bags weigh less). Fortunately most albergues have blankets if you need more insulation... Ultreya... Willy/Utah?USA

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
One of the most popular sporting goods stores in France & Spain is Decathlon. Here is their sleeping bag page: http://www.decathlon.fr/C-313819-sacs-de-couchage
Maybe you'll recognize one of the bags you saw. If you're heading to Bayonne before starting, there's a Decathlon adjacent to the BAB 2 shopping mall in Anglet, which is next door to Bayonne and on the bus route from the Biarritz airport. They're open until 20:00 (8:00p.m.). You could wait and pick one up en route?

I was under that impression, too, so last time in Spain I looked more carefully. I had also done some more serious online research on what was available in North America, too. In the end I decided that the options were quite simple, and the same in both parts of the world:
  1. Down bags at all temperature ratings and sizes. Tend to be pricey.
  2. Synthetic rectangular, packs smallish, less than 1 kg, temperature rating around 10C. Reasonable price.
  3. Synthetic mummy style, packs small, 600 g, temperature rating around 7-10C. Reasonable price. (This is what I saw in Europe, but you can get them in North America too.)
My choice remains #2, which I bought here in Canada. I'm sure you could find something in the US.

Amazon has a very light (584 gm) sleeping bag for only $80.
What I used for my August/September Camino was a silk liner and this, 7 ounce/197 gm Montbell throw blanket tucked into the silk liner on the cold nights. It worked great for me, and the total weight was 12 ounces/340 gm.

For my next Camino I might try something a little different. I have a couple of the Costco down throws, and I'm going to cut one down to about 36 inches wide and make it into a sleeping bag with silk on the other side and a zipper. When it's hot I'll sleep with the down under me, and when it's cold with the down on top.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
If you're OK waiting until you get to Europe to purchase it, I bought a super-light, compact sleeping bag from Decathlon (major sports store in France, Spain, and perhaps other countries.). This was it: https://www.decathlon.es/saco-de-dormir-s15-light-izquierdo-id_8242015.html

36€ (about $40), 675 g, and can be used in temperatures as low as 15ºC (59ºF). It can get colder than that on the Camino, of course, but I was fine with it in the albergues. It packed down very, very small (about a 2-liter bottle like you mentioned before, or even smaller) and fit in my pack really well. Overall I was very happy with it.

Buen Camino!
Faith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have a down filled equipment producer in Poland: Cumulus.

They also make sleeping bags (see their x-lite 200 and magic 125).
Last fall (Oct 2015) I used Cumulus Magic 125 Zip which worked perfectly - sometimes zipped and sometimes partly unzipped - without additional base layers.

Good question. Walked mid September to end October (slow and steady) with a very expensive 500 g down sleeping bag that opened into a quilt plus a home made 110 g silk cover. Too warm almost every night. Think lots of heat generating pilgrims crammed into dormitories with windows generally closed! There were only a couple of nights when I actually needed the sleeping bag/quilt and on those the albergues happened to have blankets if needed. I'm walking the Frances again starting early April and have bought a couple of metres of climashield (hitec ultralite insulation fabric) for $40. I intend to cut it to size put it into the silk cover I used last time and the whole lot combined will weigh just over 300 g.

This is not an endorsement of any products or supplier, I only want to help. Try backcountry.com , marmot.com, sierratradingpost.com. rei.com all will have separate categories i.e. down/synthetic, weight or thermal rating. What you need for the albergues April to October should be 34 degrees + / synthetic / less than 3 lbs. (smaller bags weigh less). Fortunately most albergues have blankets if you need more insulation... Ultreya... Willy/Utah?USA

Good points, though I would strongly advise down over synthetic. Lighter weight, packs much smaller, and a wider temperature comfort range. I carried an Enlightened Equipment quilt that was not cheap but, if you're in the US, see if you can get a down comforter from Costco. $19.99 and it looks perfect for the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Amazon has a very light (584 gm) sleeping bag for only $80.
What I used for my August/September Camino was a silk liner and this, 7 ounce/197 gm Montbell throw blanket tucked into the silk liner on the cold nights. It worked great for me, and the total weight was 12 ounces/340 gm.

For my next Camino I might try something a little different. I have a couple of the Costco down throws, and I'm going to cut one down to about 36 inches wide and make it into a sleeping bag with silk on the other side and a zipper. When it's hot I'll sleep with the down under me, and when it's cold with the down on top.
This is a great idea for the DIYers. I think this could help with the longevity of the down throw since it will be unpacked every night even when it is not required for warmth. It will allow the down to fluff again, and not suffer from prolonged compression in the stuff sack for days or weeks on the Camino. My down sleeping bags etc. are stored uncompressed in large breathable sacks on the closet shelf to maintain the loft of the down.

I have a Montbell Spiral Hugger down bag which weighs 16 oz. It was on sale as a previous year model when I bought it back in 2011 ($140). It was too warm for the Camino and I only use it for backcountry camping now. For the Camino I took my Army poncho liner and some safety pins to fashion a sleeping bag. It is synthetic and warm and also weighs 16 oz. It washes and dries quickly and feels nice and silky and is comfortable to curl up in. I carried it in the stuff sack made for my tiny Montbell. Much cheaper than a light down bag. We did not encounter problems with bed bugs, but did with black flies on the day around Cruz del Fero.

I have a Montbell Spiral Hugger down bag which weighs 16 oz. It was on sale as a previous year model when I bought it back in 2011 ($140). It was too warm for the Camino and I only use it for backcountry camping now. For the Camino I took my Army poncho liner and some safety pins to fashion a sleeping bag. It is synthetic and warm and also weighs 16 oz. It washes and dries quickly and feels nice and silky and is comfortable to curl up in. I carried it in the stuff sack made for my tiny Montbell. Much cheaper than a light down bag. We did not encounter problems with bed bugs, but did with black flies on the day around Cruz del Fero.

Army poncho liner AKA the wooby :)
Works well for warm weather.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I strongly recommend a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment, a US manufacture of top-quality down quilts for lightweight backpacking.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

The "Revelation" has won awards and I can personally recommend it as I have one and have slept about 60 nights in it. Very, very lightweight. Have a look at their website.

We have a down filled equipment producer in Poland: Cumulus.

They also make sleeping bags (see their x-lite 200 and magic 125).
Last fall (Oct 2015) I used Cumulus Magic 125 Zip which worked perfectly - sometimes zipped and sometimes partly unzipped - without additional base layers.
Wow! Thanks for that information. I have honed my packing over the years and the only really significant change I can now make, I think, is to get a lighter sleeping bag. But they are so expensive.
These look really interesting. I feel a Christmas present to self coming on.... The magic 125 zip 295g for €179 looks very good value. And if you found it good in October, I think it would do me for most things!!

€83,-
I have heard good reports of the Cumulus, and also other hiking gear made in Poland. As I'll be visiting there next year, post Camino, I'm interested in seeing what's on offer. @Pawel can you suggest a particular hiking gear shop, or chain, that stocks the Cumulus?

I strongly recommend a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment, a US manufacture of top-quality down quilts for lightweight backpacking.

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

The "Revelation" has won awards and I can personally recommend it as I have one and have slept about 60 nights in it. Very, very lightweight. Have a look at their website.

I LOVE my Revelation quilt from Enlightened Equipment. I never used (or really understood, to be honest) the long straps on the side. I'm tempted to cut them off, because I don't think I'll ever use them. I also slept with it over me or beside me for 60 nights.

I LOVE my Revelation quilt from Enlightened Equipment. I never used (or really understood, to be honest) the long straps on the side. I'm tempted to cut them off, because I don't think I'll ever use them. I also slept with it over me or beside me for 60 nights.

This official video by Enlightened Equipment will explain the straps. They can of course be unclipped and left at home. I don't use them.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Amazon-lightweight-$25.

They are called Jungle Bags. On Amazon in U.K. And probably U S A

Looked at the price of that bag....200 dollars! wow!
does it come with a valet to carry your pack all the way to Santiago? :D
Ah the "Infernal Triangle" of choice . . . cheap, lightweight, warm . . . pick any two! ;)

Army poncho liner AKA the wooby :)
Works well for warm weather.
Yeah, those would actually be perfect for a summertime Camino. They are very light, yet reflect a lot of heat back to you.
I have a couple from when I was in the military. I thought if I had velcro strips sewn on it, running about 3/4 the length on the edges, it would make a perfect sleep sack with the option of still using it flat like a quilt. Then get a stuff sack for carrying it in the pack.

Good morning,
The bag I use is called a hostel bag and the two sides are made of different materials. The first is like a bedsheet and the second a quilted down filled cover. When zipped you can put either side on top depending on requirements. I know of only 1 company that carries it here in Canada. MEC Mountain Equipment Co-op. Because I have 2 of them now I don't really look when in Europe.
Regards
Jim

I have heard good reports of the Cumulus, and also other hiking gear made in Poland. As I'll be visiting there next year, post Camino, I'm interested in seeing what's on offer. @Pawel can you suggest a particular hiking gear shop, or chain, that stocks the Cumulus?

Ehm, really - I can't.
It is because You can find those in e-shops but I haven't seen them in any standard shop (perhaps price is the reason and also it is not a mainstream gear).
And as far as I know (forums, my and friends' experience) most of the gear they offer is produced in small quantities, regularly and they are fully work loaded - thus it is very possible that e.g. sleeping bag will be sewn only after placing an order (and waiting in queue) and not readily available on the shelf.

Anyway the company site is in Gdynia.

Than you

For my search, I also was looking for something small, packable, light, and warm. I ended up ordering a bag from Cumulus. It was perfect. I used it in early May. It is was very very very light and packed down so small that even the smallest compression bags I could find were too large. I use it all the time when I travel now... I just went on a trip to iceland and the bag was so small and convenient that I packed it just in case. Very high quality bag.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Cumulus is very warm for its weight, which is barely more than some sleeping bag liners. Buyers living outside the Euro zone can purchase it without paying a VAT.

I have a Marmot Atom sleeping bag. Weighs 1 lb. 4.7 oz. I also have a silk liner.
Will be using it on my first Camino in late April.
Bob

At 270 grams the Cumulus Magic 125 Zip beats that handily! It compresses to about fist size, so packs as easily as a pair of socks.;)

The cumulus Magic 125 Zip and the Marmot Atom have vastly different temperature ratings and are therefore not in the same category for comparison. The Marmot Atom has a comfort rating of 40 F or 4.4 C and the Cumulus Magic 125 Zip is rated at 55.4 F or 13 C.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The cumulus Magic 125 Zip and the Marmot Atom have vastly different temperature ratings and are therefore not in the same category for comparison. The Marmot Atom has a comfort rating of 40 F or 4.4 C and the Cumulus Magic 125 Zip is rated at 55.4 F or 13 C.
Yes. Considering the temp rating, I think the Marmot Atom will do me just fine, and is still very light!
Bob

Yes. Considering the temp rating, I think the Marmot Atom will do me just fine, and is still very light!
Bob

Yes, your Atom is great. I have both the hydrogen and the Helium and they're very warm and dependable bags. Your Marmot Atom will keep you warm and cozy when it's nasty and drafty. I've slept on some very cold floors before and regretted not having something warmer. You'll be living the dream in your Atom! :)

Yeah, those would actually be perfect for a summertime Camino. They are very light, yet reflect a lot of heat back to you.
I have a couple from when I was in the military. I thought if I had velcro strips sewn on it, running about 3/4 the length on the edges, it would make a perfect sleep sack with the option of still using it flat like a quilt. Then get a stuff sack for carrying it in the pack.

A few safety pins were quieter than velcro and worked just as well for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've seen more of these on the Camino than any other sleeping bag. They're a good value. Decathlon has a wide range of good gear at reasonable prices, much it is ultralight - which is a Good Thing. We use much of their gear. Decathlon has stores in all major European cities. http://www.decathlon.co.uk/15-light-hiking-sleeping-bag-1-2-season-blue-left-id_8242015.html

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.