• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Small Size Socks in Sydney Australia ?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi All,

With only 2 month to go I am fine tuning our gear.

One thng I am having trouble finding is small size socks for my wife Pat.

She takes a size 32-33. Most women's socks only go as small as 35.

On our last Camino (just a short one) she found the heel part of the socks needed t get pulled up over her Achilles to fit snugly!
Not good for a longer walk me thinks. It's bound t lead to problems. :eek:

We found some kids size liner socks last week in NZ. From Icebreaker.
But they don't do 'outers'.

So I've yet to find any thick wool outer socks.
They probably need to be kids size........
Anyone based in Sydney know of any other stores to try?
I don't want to risk buying online in case of fitting problems.

By all means recommend other socks, thousand mile, toe socks, base feet or whatever, but I would rather stick with what has worked for us so far.
Thin Merino liners and thick wool outers ;);)

I use these ones from Kathmandu just to illustrate the type we are looking for.
Might not be the best quality but I have been blister free so far. Touch wood. :oops:

Sadly they don't come in kids sizes.

Liners. https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/footwear/socks/merino-liner-sock-1.html
Outers. https://www.kathmandu.com.au/mens/footwear/socks/alpine-trek-merinolink-socks-v2.html

Any tips on shops to try would be most appreciated.

l

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We shall certainly go shopping when we are next in Japan Francis!
Hoping to walk the Kumano Kodo in the next year or two.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Do you know that "thick wool outer socks" is what works best for her?

I see that Darn Tough socks come in women's small as well as junior sizes, but shipping might be a problem for you.

I find that socks (of any brand) fit tighter after a couple of hot washes, and I wear a medium although I am at the low end of the suggested sizes.

Do you know that "thick wool outer socks" is what works best for her?

I see that Darn Tough socks come in women's small as well as junior sizes, but shipping might be a problem for you.

I find that socks (of any brand) fit tighter after a couple of hot washes, and I wear a medium although I am at the low end of the suggested sizes.

Well, they are reported as being comfortable........and no blisters to date.
So I would rate that as 'working' ;);)

We tend to stick with what works..........

I know that Paddy Pallin distribute Icebreaker socks here in Sydney as I've bought them from there myself. They would be the best bet for the actual Icebreaker brand. If you are in the Sydney CBD I would head to the corner of Kent and Bathurst Sts. There are about six different outdoors shops right next to each other so that would be the best place to hunt something that will suit. Good luck!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I know that Paddy Pallin distribute Icebreaker socks here in Sydney as I've bought them from there myself. They would be the best bet for the actual Icebreaker brand. If you are in the Sydney CBD I would head to the corner of Kent and Bathurst Sts. There are about six different outdoors shops right next to each other so that would be the best place to hunt something that will suit. Good luck!

I know all those shops well...........;);)
Certainly Paddy Pallin and Kathmandu don't have them.
I'll double check the others.

On Kent street Sydney there are a number of hiking shops heading towards Circular Quay, on both sides of the road. A great variety. I love Paddy Pallin but have found a significant amount of equipment from another shop on the Darling Harbour side of Kent street heading towards Circular Quay (sorry I can't remember the name). Try there. We got our socks there. Good luck

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know you say that you do not want to order on-line but we use Corrymoor socks and they are 'true to fit' as far as sizing goes. Sportsman and Companion versions both come in extra small size, There are also 'kids socks' but they may be too small.
Because they don't need washing we wore one pair and carried one pair and they last for ever (well ages).
If you do decide to try these then you can email them re postage costs to specific country of destination as the site just has UK costs. See Delivery and contact info etc.

Hi Robo, I am surprised you did not find anything in Kathmandu. I recently bought merino socks there for my sons - the youngest is a size 4 kids (wearing size 6 ladies trail shoes (from Paddy Palin) for the camino). Size small socks from the adult range (Kathmandu) fit him well - they also have children's merino socks

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Some one recorded with the firm that they wore theirs for a year without washing them!!! Personally we wash ours about once a week on camino and less often at home.
The 'don't need washing' is because they don't get smelly, which we find to be true. They are mohair not wool. However dust etc is IMO a different matter. That said a quick rinse is fine rather than needing washing to get rid of any smell. Great for the camino. :)

Robbo, I also have small feet but I find that the small size socks from both Mountain Designs and Kathmandu are a good fit for my feet.....All the hiking shops here in Perth has kids sizes as well, especially the bigger Kathmandu outlets. My liners are Merino wool, but my outers are not always Merino....but, very good quality and recommended socks all the same. I usually wear the CoolMax ones in a medium weight from Kathmandu because my feet tend to get hot when I walk.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Robbo, I also have small feet but I find that the small size socks from both Mountain Designs and Kathmandu are a good fit for my feet.....All the hiking shops here in Perth has kids sizes as well, especially the bigger Kathmandu outlets. My liners are Merino wool, but my outers are not always Merino....but, very good quality and recommended socks all the same. I usually wear the CoolMax ones in a medium weight from Kathmandu because my feet tend to get hot when I walk.

I'll certainly check them all out again.
She has very small feet.
The smallest adult sizes are far too big.

We'll trawl through the kids sizes again.
I think the difficulty is finding the thin liner and thicker outer in kids sizes.

Hi Robo, I am surprised you did not find anything in Kathmandu. I recently bought merino socks there for my sons - the youngest is a size 4 kids (wearing size 6 ladies trail shoes (from Paddy Palin) for the camino). Size small socks from the adult range (Kathmandu) fit him well - they also have children's merino socks

The smallest adult socks are way to big for her.
Will try the kids ones

Have you looked into the Decathlon store in Tempe (same site as IKEA) for socks?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.