• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Smaller refugios and albergues?

SabsP

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
some and then more. see my signature.
What are your experiences with the smaller refugios and albergues in the smaller towns and villages, if you compare them with the refugios at the more " classic " stops? Any particular recommendations or favourites?
I will not be pressured by time so I'll probably split up some of the longer walks. Will I find a place in these smaller settings or should I opt for the classic stops? I will be going in april and may.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The main guidebooks divide the Camino Frances into 30 to 32 stages that end in the main towns. It has been suggested that pilgrims get "out of sync" with those stages and enjoy the smaller towns. You will also miss the crush of pilgrims who are following the stages in the guidebooks.

If you arrive at a small town around two or three in the afternoon and the albergue is "completo" (complete, Full, no vacancy) on the Camino Frances it is seldom more than two hours between villages. Walk on to the next town after asking if there are other albergues in the town you are in.

A word on Albergue etiquette, Some hospitaleros ( albergue hosts) become irate if they offer you shelter and you insist on inspecting the place before you accept.

Saludos
David, Victoria, Canada

Hola David!

Thanks for your tips.And rest assured I want ask for a " room " inspection... 8) I'll probably be more than happy to find a bed for the night as it is. And I'm not a club med person anyway.
cheers.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Back