A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Smart Packing and Unexpected Backpack Items

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Camino(s) past & future
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)
Nearly forgot. One item that was invaluable (but then it's also invaluable in my every day life) was my kanga (sarong). Can be used as a towel, skirt, sheet, pillowcase, privacy screen (if in bottom bank then hang from underneath top bunk), and many more uses.
Buen camino
Suzanne

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017) SJPDP-SDC
Camino Norte 2018
Pilgrims Office Volunteer 2018
Osprey backpacks and possibly others have a whistle built-in as part of the chest strap buckle. I think this often is overlooked.
Hey Mike!! I wish that I had a nickle for every time I showed the Osprey back pack whistle to a Florida Trail hiker on their own backpack! I guess I would have about $1.50 maybe? No one knows....

Last edited:

smj6

Siempre hay que ver el positivo
Camino(s) past & future
Oct/Nov 2016 (Via Podensis/ Frances)
Oct 2018 (Via Francigena stage)
I never walked on the Frances in the dark per se, but there were times that I walked as the day was breaking or dusk falling. One of my sons walked with me for a long weekend & urged me to wrap fluorescent tape around my poles in the future so that I would be more visible to traffic. A wise suggestion I thought .... must remember to do it for my next Camino.
Suzanne :)

Sheesh

Camino(s) past & future
(CF 2009, 2013) (?-2018)
...One of my sons walked with me for a long weekend & urged me to wrap fluorescent tape around my poles in the future so that I would be more visible to traffic...
Suzanne :)
Yes, excellent advice for those times when road walking.

I've used reflective arm bands which affix with velcro, but wanted something for the back of my pack (even though one does walk facing traffic whenever possible). So I got this Safety Shield. It also affixes with velcro, so is removable as/if desired.

"Triangular-shaped reflective Reflexite® safety shield has a Velcro® attachment so you can easily attach it to most items, such as backpacks and bicycle seats.
  • Orange mesh with yellow Reflexite trim.
  • Dimensions are 17 x 17cm."

Last edited:

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
I still have some of the FRED (Field Ration Eating Device) used by the Australian and New Zealand Armies. Similar to the P38/P51 but extended to form a spoon. Unfortunately the FR of FRED is given a slightly different meaning by those of us who had to use these devices.
Thanks @dougfitz for identifying the object - I have tried one of those myself and came to the same conclusion independently without ever knowing the acronym :)

shefollowsshells

Camino(s) past & future
Several alone and with children
I know this is an old thread, I'm rereading through it as I am taking two ladies on the Camino with me in the Spring who have never done it. I took gittiharre's advice of the muslin and it was one of the best decisions I made in packing. We all used scarves and took no towels on our last Camino. I also wore it around my waist if pack had too much pressure on back and dipped it in water and wore it around my neck when too hot.
For me it was a ecosack shopping bag, rolls up to finger size and weighs next to nothing, I had a reusable shopping bag first time, but found ecosack better, smaller.
1.5 metres of muslin, this is my towel, it weighs next to nothing, dries in minutes and does not smell.
A spork with serrated part on handle, found I did not need a knife at all.
A lightweight lavalava/sulu wrap. Slept in this, wore it to bathroom, used it a skirt/wrap with just my fleece over it when I washed everything at laundromat.Got dressed under it, it is my single favourite piece of gear. Most other things have been mentioned. Gitti

CaroleH

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP 2006, Portugues 2007;Madrid 2009, Finisterre 2009; Sur and VdlP 2011,2013; Manchego and Madrid 2014; VdlP (parts) 2016; Hospitalero plan 2017.
Ah yes, the muslin towels/squares... light as a feather... dry in 10mins... the best for light travel. Thanks Gitti.

tjb1013

Camino(s) past & future
I had an inflatable pillow that I felt silly for taking but that came in handy in the parochials that used mats, and in places where the pillows were uncomfortable.

That said, it fell into the “used it but probably still not worth lugging 800 kilometers” category. The only things I took but didn’t use at all were rain pants and long johns. The list of things I used because I had them but shouldn’t have taken was slightly longer.

katesmash

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (?) (2018)
I keep thinking what my favorite item was... I have taken and will take again, both the spork, a kind of shopping bag and needle and thread without question.

I guess my favorite item would be my pair of crocks!

Weighing virtually nothing, they keep my feet clean in dirty showers, quick-dry and serve as shoes for walking after hours in the towns, so your feet can air out when not carrying a backpack.
Off course, the downside is they are butt-ugly, but then, who cares when you are a pilgrim? :mrgreen:

[Edit] PS Look, I just saw them in my picture after pressing 'Submit' :lol:
They make Crocs sandals that are slightly less heinous than the foot-boats that are typical crocs. Same spongy bottom!

AZ Hiker

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2018)
Falcon, I have this clothesline and it has been invaluable! I use a couple of carabiners to attach it to whatever I can

The sink stopper has been on my mind each camino, then it slips out, but once I'm in Spain, I sure wish I had it in many albergues and hostals. Washing clothes in running water is pretty inefficient alright, but also very wasteful.

To add to the list, one of my favorite items is the cooling neck tie. On 30+ days, this kept me going.

lynne
I stuffed a sock in the drain hole. Worked pretty well.

DeirdreFore

Camino(s) past & future
2019 (July)
A knowledge of Spanish is most useful and weighs nothing, and can be so enriching of the whole Camino.

I also bring a tiny booklet with the prayers and responses of the Mass in Spanish which enables me to participate more fully in the Mass each evening. If anyone wants a copy I will send it to them if they P.M. their email address to me.

Buen Camino,

Lydia
Thank-you for posting that Lydia, it will be nice to read along with the prayers at mass! 😇:)
Deirdre

Silverton

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2003-2004, 2006-2011, 2013-2016), Portugués from Porto (2012), from Tui (2014), Sanabres (2010), Aragon (2007) Carríon de los Condes to ?? (April 2016)

Silverton

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2003-2004, 2006-2011, 2013-2016), Portugués from Porto (2012), from Tui (2014), Sanabres (2010), Aragon (2007) Carríon de los Condes to ?? (April 2016)
I do the same, Lydia, and was pleased to leave my homemade little 'missal' with a pilgrim who was walking on to Santiago this month, when I left from my shorter Camino. Another is reprinted and laminated for next time, I hope!

Elle Bieling

Elle Bieling, PilgrimageTraveler
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés, '14 '17 Finisterre, '14 '17 '18 Primitivo, '15 '18 Portuguese, '17, '18 San Salvador, '18
I also use the peppermint essential oil, one drop to add to my water for a refreshing drink every time! My luxury item!

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 153 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 253 25.0%