• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smart Packing and Unexpected Backpack Items

Pedant:

One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
One who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning

Ostentatious? I couldn't possibly comment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
and on a serious note, I'm a big fan of zip-lock or dry bags. As has been said, they weigh relatively little, keep my kit dry and mean that I can ensure everything has its place in the rucksack.

Andy

vagabondette said:
Oy. I didn't realize were were on a physics forum. Ok, yes, technically air has weight.

I was with you the first time, vagabondette. The mass of the air in one's pack, unless compressed by some mysterious mechanism, weighs nothing. It is neutrally buoyant. Further, the mass of air creating pressure on the top of one's pack is offset by the pressure created at the bottom of the pack - pressure acting in all directions, not just downwards.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
falcon269 said:
Well, water is 8 lbs. per gallon, and it is H2O. Since air has a lot of O and the N in it weighs about the same, it just seems reasonable that the two light H's and and one heavier O would weight less than air, so am willing to go with the 10 lb. per gallon estimate...

There are 1.2009504 US gallons to 1 imperial gallon,hence the difference.

andy.d said:
If my brain is working properly, this must mean that we are carrying vast weight with the amount of air on top of our rucksacks. Is there any way of reducing this? Does this means attempts at ultra light are in vain?

Andy

See "April Fool" post about the Balloon Assisted Load Lightening System.
On the other hand, since hot air rises, and there's some of this on the forum, it might be possible to harness this to one's rucsac in order to reduce the weight..... :D

Sojourner47 said:
On the other hand, since hot air rises, and there's some of this on the forum, it might be possible to harness this to one's rucsac in order to reduce the weight
I would agree, other than to observe that the ephemeral nature of the hot air generated is unlikely to see it survive long. :roll:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am going to fill the empty space in my backpack with hot air as I believe it weighs less than air at the ambient temperature, or so I am told. Buen Camino. Naive-Camino-david

I'm a big fan of Outdoor Research bags. I put all my stuff in 1 large (with extra room) and 1 medium bag. They are very resistant, waterproof and don't make noise like plastic bags! Also, it makes packing and unpacking very effective.

Attachments

• ORbags.jpg
    ORbags.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 8,563
:shock: WOW! What a great list so far!

A quick question regarding sharp objects (esp. Swiss Army knives) - were you sending your packs through on the planes as opposed to carrying them on?

I ask because I lost my beloved Swiss knife on my last flight as I always carried it everywhere so I forgot it was in my purse and they snagged it. :evil:

I am wondering if this goes for pointy little needles and safety pins as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The knife is prohibited in the cabin, as you have discovered. They are OK for checked bags. Pins and safety pins are not specifically prohibited.

We took everything & everything came back less what we used. Our Vaseline was all used up!
Such an amazing find from this forum! :D (Knives scissors the lot, with everything in the hold)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
PingHansen said:
vagabondette said:
Not to nit-pick, but air in your clothes doesn't *weigh* anything.
Actually, if we are to nit-pick, it does. But that's physics. The perceived weight is nothing.

This is where Archimedes comes in:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buoyancy

Therefore: the air in your clothes has mass, but it weighs nothing (a balloon filled with helium has mass but a negative weight)

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

That must be how I keep my pack weight down, by folding and rolling my clothes which expels the air. :) Done so it all fits in my pack, so a bonus and 'smart packing'

thanks everyone for these fantastic tips and interesting discussion. Major help in deciding what to bring/leave.
Still not quite sure tho how much warm weather gear I'm going to need -- traveling Camino Norte in July. Thinking of just bringing a lightweight fleece to wear on top of quick dry shirts (two long sleeve that can roll up, one short sleeve) and silk sleep sheet. Should I also bring long underwear for under my quick dry trousers? Or is that overkill?
best,
Mira

€83,-
Just finished Norte a good wet weather jacklet is needed forget
Ponchos in the wind. I wore skins lightweight nylon leggings under shorts in the cold and rain warm and dry on you whilst walking took 4 pairs socks as can rain 2-3 days and socks won't dry. Lightweight fleece straw hat for sun beanie for cold. 4 seasons in 1 day

PingHansen said:
vagabondette said:
Not to nit-pick, but air in your clothes doesn't *weigh* anything.
Actually, if we are to nit-pick, it does. But that's physics. The perceived weight is nothing.
Just to return briefly to the weight and air question:-

A van, followed by a police car, was driving down a main road. The police noticed that the driver stopped every few minutes, jumped out of his cab holding a spade, ran round to the back of the van and banged on the doors. Then he jumped back in the cab and drove on. After following him and watching him repeat this for several miles they pulled him over and asked what he thought he was doing.
"This is a 3 ton lorry" he said. The police, getting cross, asked what that had to do with his actions.
"You don't understand" he said. "This is a 3 ton lorry and I've got 3½ tons of canaries inside"
:lol:

sillydoll said:
A spiral immersion heater to make tea, coffee, cup-of-soup etc. Never travel without it.
Absolutely no useful for me because you can have tea, coffee or hot water in albergues, bars, restaurants.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
markvanoss said:
Great suggestions so far, pilgrims! Exactly what I was hoping to see. Keep 'em coming!

I'm enjoying it so much. So many great tips. :)

Just as an observation, every single powerpack I have seen in the last ten years has been a switchmode 110-220 volt job. That's for laptop, phone, video camera, iphone, battery charger etc. The idea of a device designed to travel being confined to one voltage range is pretty much gone in the light of globally produced and distributed electronic components.
Someone always warns about voltage differences, but in reality it is unlikely to ever be a problem unless you're using extremely old equipment. If that's the case, buy a switchmode power supply for it and you're good to go.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Jutta Kankkunen said:
This year on Camino Primitivo: definitely Kindle containing guides, books, photocopy of my passport, recervation documents etc etc.

Thanks for the tip. I have been sending PDFs of Camino information to my Kindle account, but it totally slipped my mind that I could also use the KIndle device as a place to store PDFs of my passport and other travel information: great battery life; plenty of storage for books and documents; a thin, lightweight housing; and close to bullet-proof if you don't dunk it. It's an amazing device, and I often forget because it's not as flashy as my iPad. Just remember to enact security protocols first in case it's stolen. Thanks again.

Buen Camino.

Perhaps I missed it in my quick read of this thread...but I don't believe anyone has mentioned duct/duck tape. I wrap a 3 foot piece of duct/duck tape on my walking staff and another piece around my water bottle. In addition to emergency repairs...I've even used this tape to prevent blisters and as an emergency bandage for a large cut. Here's a list of other items that I carry in my trail repair kit:
- swiss key multi tool
- 550 paraccord
- cable ties
- large safety pins
- super glue
- dental floss
- large sewing needle
- small butane lighter

FWIW...the paracord makes a very effective cinch belt for my poncho in windy conditions.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
BoldenMD said:
Jutta Kankkunen said:
This year on Camino Primitivo: definitely Kindle containing guides, books, photocopy of my passport, recervation documents etc etc.

Thanks for the tip. I have been sending PDFs of Camino information to my Kindle account, but it totally slipped my mind that I could also use the KIndle device as a place to store PDFs of my passport and other travel information: great battery life; plenty of storage for books and documents; a thin, lightweight housing; and close to bullet-proof if you don't dunk it. It's an amazing device, and I often forget because it's not as flashy as my iPad. Just remember to enact security protocols first in case it's stolen. Thanks again.

Buen Camino.
Great tip. Thanks! We've been talking about what to bring, and neither of us thought about the Kindle! What a perfect solution.
Ultreya!
Kathleen

Charleston Tom said:
Perhaps I missed it in my quick read of this thread...but I don't believe anyone has mentioned duct/duck tape. I wrap a 3 foot piece of duct/duck tape on my walking staff and another piece around my water bottle. In addition to emergency repairs...I've even used this tape to prevent blisters and as an emergency bandage for a large cut. Here's a list of other items that I carry in my trail repair kit:
- swiss key multi tool
- 550 paraccord
- cable ties
- large safety pins
- super glue
- dental floss
- large sewing needle
- small butane lighter

FWIW...the paracord makes a very effective cinch belt for my poncho in windy conditions.
Good suggestions! We've got the duck tape handled. And the multi tool, big nappy pins, floss/needle, etc. But what exactly is a 550 paraccord? Like a bungee? and where does one get this in the US?
Ultreya!
Kathleen

BoldenMD said:
Jutta Kankkunen said:

Buen Camino.

For those who don't have kindles/kindle accounts, a good solution is to email copies/photos of important docs to yourself at an account you can access from anywhere. I have one folder on my webserver email that is just copies of my ID and stuff like that. This way if your bag with technology gets stolen you have an online backup.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
[/quote]
Good suggestions! We've got the duck tape handled. And the multi tool, big nappy pins, floss/needle, etc. But what exactly is a 550 paraccord? Like a bungee? and where does one get this in the US?
Ultreya!
Kathleen[/quote]

550 paracord is the lightweight nylon that was originally used in the suspension lines for parachutes during WWII. It is exceedingly versatile and can be used intact or stripped apart for the thinner lines that make up the core.

550 paracord can be purchased in most places that sell camping equipment.

My 'unexpected item' this time was a French sports cream (Ki)Nok- by Akileine. I thought I already had the anti-blister regime all sussed out for myself after my 2008 Camino, when I only got blisters once when my feet got saturated after three days of heavy rain. I found that a sock and a liner seemed to do the trick the rest of the time, when I stayed blister-free.

Again this year I had no blisters at all for the first nine days of my walk from Cluny. But then I struck a day's walk that was all on the hard tarmac of roads, and lo and behold, I developed a largish painful blister under the toe pad of one foot. There weren't many other pilgrims on the Cluny route, but it so happened that two nights later I shared the gite with a Frenchman. When he saw my impressive blister, he told me about the Nok cream that he used, and he said he had experienced no trouble at all with blisters. I decided to give it a try- and I became a convert. You put it on before you put your socks on each day, and it acts like an anti-chafing cream. I suppose it performs the same function as vaseline does for its users, but it doesn't feel greasy, and goes on very easily. Also, it seemed to relieve some of the 'tenderness' on the sole of the foot generally. Next time I walk(?!!) I will be sure I buy a new tube before I start walking!
Margaret

In some of the threads travellers have mentioned bringing a pillow case. Does that mean the Rugios supply pillows as well as blankets. I can't imagine sleeping for a month without a pillow, at my age.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Every albergue I stayed in this year had pillows, but at times their hygiene was dubious. I am planning on taking a pillowcae of some sort next time. I will probably make one because the pillows are all shapes and sizes, including some of those very long european ones.

I brought one luxury item, a nice foot cream. Each night when my feet were in bits, after a shower I'd sit on my bed and massage my feet with the cream. It was easily the best item I brought with me. I left a lot of other cosmetics behind but I was glad I took this one.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Other than a smartphone of all the possible gadgets that one MIGHT consider carrying on the Camino the most useful for me is an immersion water heating coil. I first saw this in 2005 in the old Valcarlos albergue which then had no kitchen. Late one rainy chilly autumn afternoon an older French bicyclist arrived. A retired farmer, he was so surprised to find an American woman who lived in France walking on the Camino. Discussing our philosophies and dreams he and I talked for a long time during the evening over several hot cups of tea which he happily prepared using his trusty coil.

For my next Camino I found one and then read Sillydoll's many praises for her's on this Forum. Across the years mine has become invaluable. Not only for early breakfasts but for hot tea or soup in cold winter albergues where there was neither heat nor propane in the kitchen. Now it is snugly packed for use once again these next months.

Margaret Meredith

http://www.caminodesantiago.me/board/miscellaneous-topics/topic5268.html

Carol06 said:
Every albergue I stayed in this year had pillows, but at times their hygiene was dubious. I am planning on taking a pillowcae of some sort next time. I will probably make one because the pillows are all shapes and sizes, including some of those very long european ones.

Agreed Carol and so I'm planning to take it a step further and have purchased this sheet and pillow case set that is Permethin-treated against bed bugs. Many might not deem it necessary but I'm really not a fan of bed bugs. They may not work but then again, they might.

The alternative to a pillow case is a sheet with pillow insert, or a sleeping bag with head section. Neither need be used for the pillow, just fold the other way and pull it over your head. :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Just completed my first Camino (Camino Portuguese), which is also my first backpacking trip. My "must have" item(s) were the packing cubes I bought from ebags.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/pack ... d=10150076

I use these when I travel normally (not backpacking) and they proved just as valuable on the camino. A small cube for my socks and underwear, a medium cube for my shirts, pants, and lightweight fleece, and a medium cube for my small "equipment and odds and ends". The cube with the shirts and pants also fit in my pillow case and served as a pillow in places that did not provide one.

Not only did the cubes keep everything fairly organized, they also were quick and easy to pack in my backpack.

The piece of rubber tubing for a sink plug for washing clothes was one of the best suggestions in this thread...lent it to lots of people :)

I bought a long silk bag liner with a flap on the end into which a pillow can be inserted. It worked great, and I did enjoy having silk to sleep in as well as it being only 155gms and packed small. Obviously clothes could also be put there in the absence of a pillow.
Buen Camino
allan

I brought a small bottle of Oil of Lavender. Good for relaxation, small amount on a tissue. But it works well on bed bug bites. Although I didn't get any, I shared the Lavender with many who did and they were thankful. Regarding the bubble wrap, what kept it from snapping when you put your weight on it.

northyukon said:
Regarding the bubble wrap, what kept it from snapping when you put your weight on it.
The load is spread across the bubble wrap, and provided there are no sharp objects creating a high point load, the average load is below the point where the plastic fails and pops.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the Camino Frances from late August to early October this year and brought many of the items from this thread: the spork, the sarong, the packable nylon bag for laundry and shopping, the safety pins for hanging washing; there was a whistle on my backpack strap, I had my Altus near the top of the pack at all times and wouldn't be without any of them. The one thing I could have left was my sun hat, because it was so windy it kept wanting to blow away and a hair band and sun glasses was good enough. Or a towel on the head for hot days, there were many doing that too :D

But the unexpectedly clever item was my nail scissors! I only packed it because it weighed less than the clippers, and it was used to cut not just nails, but plasters, cotton for sewing (the pack, not the feet), opening packaging like juice or gazpacho cartons, cutting off redundant straps on gear and belt loops on clothes and what ever else. I cleaned or desinfected them between uses and I'll never travel without them again!
I also brought a simple, long cotton scarf which came in handy as a pillow case, spare towel, head scarf, to cover sunburnt arms while walking or resting etc. Once I even tied it to the slats underneath the top bunk and put my feet up in it like a hammock!

Buen Camino, Linda

sillydoll said:
A spiral immersion heater to make tea, coffee, cup-of-soup etc. Never travel without it.

Sillydoll, could you please tell me more about this heater? I've never heard of it. Do you plug it in where there is electricity, or is it battery operated? Where would I find one?

thank you!

Susan

€83,-
I bought one of these in Rome for my mother in 1975. She used it every day of her life for her early morning cuppa. I inherited it. A gift 'given' returns. It is my one luxury on the Camino

DurhamParish said:
Just completed my first Camino (Camino Portuguese), which is also my first backpacking trip. My "must have" item(s) were the packing cubes I bought from ebags.

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/pack ... d=10150076

I use these when I travel normally (not backpacking) and they proved just as valuable on the camino. A small cube for my socks and underwear, a medium cube for my shirts, pants, and lightweight fleece, and a medium cube for my small "equipment and odds and ends". The cube with the shirts and pants also fit in my pillow case and served as a pillow in places that did not provide one.

Not only did the cubes keep everything fairly organized, they also were quick and easy to pack in my backpack.

You can also use plastic shopping bags as dividers/containers - no weight, waterproof and infinitely adaptable to any space available. No wasted space, as it all flattens in the rucsac. The clear ones are good as you can see what's in the bag.

Gallon size freezer bags work as well, are more flexible to pack, and can be compressed before sealing. Not to mention being an order or magnitude (or is it two orders of magnitude?) cheaper.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can also use plastic shopping bags as dividers/containers
These are the noisiest of the choices. Ziplok and similar are quieter for early morning packing. I use mesh bags, which have drawstrings and are totally silent, but they offer no moisture protection. They do let me see what is inside just like plastic will. I have an extremely lightweight, waterproof nylon sack for my "technology."

falcon269 said:
You can also use plastic shopping bags as dividers/containers
These are the noisiest of the choices.

This is quite true, but only when you pack your sac in the dorm early in the morning.

Consider this simple solution; better pack your sac the night before and what little remains is quietly taken out of the room and packed elsewhere in the morning. No lights no torches no noise. With a little thought, such disturbance can be avoided (please? :D ) If anyone here agrees, I'll be content!

But..... :(

€83,-
pack your sac the night before and what little remains is quietly taken out of the room and packed elsewhere
For every one that does this, there are nine who do not!! :wink:

falcon269 said:
pack your sac the night before and what little remains is quietly taken out of the room and packed elsewhere
For every one that does this, there are nine who do not!! :wink:

Yes I know, :( and I am the tenth! I hoped to recruit you and anyone else to the side of the angels! :D

Al the optimist said:
Be content retired one
allan

If you are someone of taste and I'm sure you are, even in Wolverhampton :wink: Ian Dury had an album named "4000 weeks holiday". All my life I've subscribed to this idea, and I retired in my teens at least in outlook. I hope you have retired too. I hope everyone has :D If you prefer Tim Leary, "Turn on, tune in and drop out".

Be retired optimistic one.

Although I am yet to walk the Camino (planning for this year in Oct), I have done quite a lot of tramping/hiking/trekking in the mountains of New Zealand. It is a different style because you have to have everything you would possibly need including food and sometimes cookers and fuel. The most useful item I would never be without is my Buff. In the past 10 years I have used it for various purposes:-
1. Hairband to tie up my hair (I usually have a hair tie as well, but it is a backup and makes it very accessible during the day!
2. During the day while walking it can act as a sweat band around my head or an ear warmer when it gets windy and cold. When it is drizzly and you don't want to put your rain jacket over your head it will keep the rain from dripping into your eyes.
3. At night to sleep I put my ear plugs in and then put the buff around my ears (stops them from falling out if I haven't put them in well) and pull down over my eyes to be an eye mask to stop the headlights from annoying me. (it also helps to keep sandflies from biting my face!
4. I have used it for a head bandage when I cut open my head (just put a pad under it and it kept it in place for the rest of the day until I got to the hut.
5. It can be worn around your neck to either keep warm or in the heat to keep the sun off.
6. On my most recent tramp in December (North West Circuit - Stewart Island), I used it to pull over my eyes when we were walking for a hour along a beach that was blowing sand directly in our faces!
7. It can also be used as an extra bandage or something to tie something up.

I am sure there are other things I can't think of at the moment that I have used it for, but it has by far been the most useful item I take. It is also very light!

I would also say I always take some electrical ties every time. You might never use them, but they can perform all kinds of repairs to packs, boots and various other things as have been suggested. I also always take a spare shoelace or two! Don't think your boots have to be old and worn to break a shoelace. One of my shoelaces broke on my last day on the NWC on a steep muddy descent! It was only the second tramp those boots had done.

Estoy Jubilado tambien Jubilado! I retired early a few years ago and think life could hardly get better - I have time for caminos! My daughter thinks I'm one in a million (she hopes, she doesn't want to have to suffer another like me!) but I realise now that I am one in ten only. I wish it were less. That's a great idea for sleeping with the buff Ella. I love mine and soak it at every font when it's hot, but have never thought to wear it as an earmuff or blind. Mine you I am blind in one eye, so I only have to sleep with the good one buried in the pillow. :D
allan

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Allan - I think it might have been an accident when I first did it - I was wearing it as a headband around the hut and then climbed into bed with it still on! I must admit that I see a lot of people walking with one, but not often using if for this! I on the other hand haven't used it to cool down with water - but I usually am tramping in quite cool temps. I am sure I will do this walking the Camino though - thanks for the tip! I would love to hear if anyone else has uses for their buffs!

cheers
Ella

An unexpected item I hope will be of good use in May/June 2013 on the Camino Frances

From my blog post:
http://caminodesantiagoblog.com/

Stand Up Like a Man

Okay gals, you’ve just walked 10 miles on the Camino and there isn’t a bathroom in sight – or a tree, or bushes you can squat behind. You’ve been holding it in for miles and are about to burst. On the trails, you’ve passed men relieving themselves on the side of the road, and face it girls…you are jealous. They don’t have to bare their bottoms in public, risk falling over backward from the weight of their backpacks while in mid-stream; they have great aim, can write their names in the snow, and can miss urinating on their own shoes…usually. Men are built for outdoor peeing and we are not. Hmmmm. This was a dilemma that had to be solved. Thanks to four years of researching data (and partying) to successfully graduate with a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, I tackled this need for information just like any other. I got on the internet and did some research, and guess what I found? Ta-da…SheWee.
shewee.jpg

Yes, we are now liberated women. We can pee standing up (I guess from the name of the product, women must “wee” rather than “pee” standing up, but that’s just semantics). I immediately ordered one to use on my Camino.
If you really need directions, here is the pic posted on the SheWee website http://sheweeusa.com/shop/listcats.asp:
SheWee-Illustration.jpg

Calling all brave and bold Camino women – It’s time we all stand up like a man!

Buen Camino, and don’t forget the toilet paper!
:oops: Jan

I'm sure that is a great thing if one comes from Clearwater (sorry :mrgreen: ) but for the rest of us...eh...unless you wash it, it must be a pretty smelly little thing to carry in your pack.

I'm not envious of men who pee in public. It's not nice. You are not allowed to do that in my country. It happened to me a couple of times abroad, when I've been out walking with men who seemed to be nice. Having a nice conversation etc. And suddenly they stopped, saying nothing, no excuses or hiding or anything, just started to urinate while standing a couple of meters from me. Yuk.
Maybe they do like that in their home town too, when they are on the way to have lunch with their colleagues, I don't know.
Anyway I think it would be sad if women started to behave like that too. That's not very classy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Of course this is something you wouldn't do at home when there are bathrooms everywhere!!!
But, on the Camino, there will be times when you must answer nature's call out on the trail. It is a part of hiking and camping. So when your body just can't hold it any longer, you are going to have to risk pulling down your britches and risk being "unclassy" on the side of the road somewhere and you never know when someone will walk by. I'd rather not be caught with my pants down when that happens. This is an option to being less embarrassed and less exposed.
It's not for everyone, but when nature calls, she calls.

IN regard to the kindle and downloading your documents - how do you go about downloading copies of your stuff? I have a kindle, and I download lots of PDF's and ebooks, but I'm not sure about how to put a copy of my passport, etc... on it

Just a thought about how yucky the "SheWee" must get after use. I've noted some comments on this forum about how people are spotting more and more "used personal hygiene items" (i.e.toilet paper) along the Caminos (I'll be doing my first one in May).

Backpackers are familiar with the idea of "Leave No Trace" which suggests, among other things, that you pack your used toilet paper out with you in order to leave no trace that you were there. Yucky, yes. However, not as bad as finding used toilet paper along the trail. As more people hit the trails, this has become one more issue in which we must show consideration and courtesy towards our fellow travelers.

Just stash your stuff in a zip loc (double, if you must), dump it when you can, and move on! There are lots of ways for us to gross each other out, this is a relatively easy one to fix. Remember, EVERYBODY goes to the bathroom. And is it that much grosser than picking up after your dog when you walk him/her?

Gentlemen, if you come across a woman who is peeing standing up, be advised - She is a Woman to be Reckoned with!!

Kathy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
FooteK said:
Just a thought about how yucky the "SheWee" must get after use. I've noted some comments on this forum about how people are spotting more and more "used personal hygiene items" (i.e.toilet paper) along the Caminos (I'll be doing my first one in May).

Backpackers are familiar with the idea of "Leave No Trace" which suggests, among other things, that you pack your used toilet paper out with you in order to leave no trace that you were there. Yucky, yes. However, not as bad as finding used toilet paper along the trail. As more people hit the trails, this has become one more issue in which we must show consideration and courtesy towards our fellow travelers.

Just stash your stuff in a zip loc (double, if you must), dump it when you can, and move on! There are lots of ways for us to gross each other out, this is a relatively easy one to fix. Remember, EVERYBODY goes to the bathroom. And is it that much grosser than picking up after your dog when you walk him/her?

Gentlemen, if you come across a woman who is peeing standing up, be advised - She is a Woman to be Reckoned with!!

Kathy

When on canoe safari on the Zambezi (as one does!) we carried lighters to burn our toilet paper after action. So, recommend this for all squatting, or even standing, pilgrims, but be extremely aware of danger of forest fire....... or get the next pilgrim to douse the flames..!

As one who only uses carry on baggage my first point of call when arriving is to buy a disposable lighter. When I finish I give it to the first person asking for a light (it is Spain - someone is always asking).
allan

So if you see little smouldering piles along the way, that will have been me in front of you burning all the loo paper!.....
Karin

Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
reg2450 said:
IN regard to the kindle and downloading your documents - how do you go about downloading copies of your stuff? I have a kindle, and I download lots of PDF's and ebooks, but I'm not sure about how to put a copy of my passport, etc... on it
You will need to scan the documents and then save them on your computer as pdf document(s). Then link your Kindle to the computer and copy the file(s) into its Documents folder.

If you are using a Mac computer, there is an a free app called Send to Kindle available in the App Store. Once you open the app, all you need to do is drag a scanned copy of your passport (or other documents) to it and the document will be sent to your Kindle via Amazon. It works very well.

Re the SheeWee and similar items ... I got one of another brand which supposedly allowed you to pee standing up and dried off with just a shake. Well .... let's just say I'm glad I tried it out at home before taking it on the Camino. I found that in order to keep from getting pee on myself and my pants, I had to pull down my pants far enough to expose my backside when using it. :oops: As to the drying off with just a shake ... a) it didn't, and b) trying to shake liquid off of it deposited the liquid drops in unpredictable places. I decided that if I have to go, I just have to wait until I can find some cover and then pull my drawers down quickly while going into a squat, using a jacket or poncho to hide what little you can see in that position. If you have bad knees that prevent you from being able to squat, it might be worth trying to learn to use the device; I couldn't get past having to launder my pants every time I tried to use it. For myself, I'll stick to tried and true TP plus a ziploc bag for each day.

gatothecat said:
Re the SheeWee and similar items ... I got one of another brand which supposedly allowed you to pee standing up and dried off with just a shake. Well .... let's just say I'm glad I tried it out at home before taking it on the Camino. I found that in order to keep from getting pee on myself and my pants, I had to pull down my pants far enough to expose my backside when using it...

I know what you mean. :oops:

As a reasonable alternative, when "the need hits" I am going to walk 50 yards off trail and crouch behind my ultra light trekking umbrella. If it's not windy, it should do the trick (in theory :wink: ).

If you replace the zip in your trousers with a 13 inch zip that comes right down to the inner leg seam you will find that the funnel is facing the downward direction and there no need to even open the button on the belt.

However it is wise to practise at home first and essential to position the sheewee correctly and keep legs very tight together

Having used one from for weeks I think that it is worth its weight in pure gold

Don't burn the toilet paper! I did this on occasion for years (elsewhere) until I learned that the fuel (dried vegetation) can stay hot for days under the surface and then finally ignite. Therefore, you wouldn't even know the dangerous situation that you have created. Last year in Chile, about 1/3 of Torres del Paine, a national park, was destroyed by someone allegedly burning their toilet paper.

Women, please either use one of the devices or do the traditional squat method. In my thousands of Camino miles, I have only been "caught" once and that was because I yelped when I saw someone coming who otherwise would not even have seen me :oops:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Like trying to answer the call of nature in an all in one ski suit in the snow in the olden days! Why doesn't one of the trekking wear companies make ladies trousers with a long central zip?

Tia Valeria said:
reg2450 said:
You will need to scan the documents and then save them on your computer as pdf document(s). Then link your Kindle to the computer and copy the file(s) into its Documents folder.

Larazet said:
Like trying to answer the call of nature in an all in one ski suit in the snow in the olden days! Why doesn't one of the trekking wear companies make ladies trousers with a long central zip?

A hiking skirt is a nice thing. They dry quickly and are more comfortable than shorts, I think. And I found one which is only 154 grams. :)

Susannafromsweden said:
Larazet said:

A hiking skirt is a nice thing. They dry quickly and are more comfortable than shorts, I think. And I found one which is only 154 grams. :)

I walked in a skirt this spring. Best thing for peeing ever!

(Any chance of a link to the 154g skirt? I shredded my lighter skirt on the rocks at Finisterre and haven't found a satisfactory replacement.)

Peronel said:
Susannafromsweden said:
Larazet said:

I walked in a skirt this spring. Best thing for peeing ever!

(Any chance of a link to the 154g skirt? I shredded my lighter skirt on the rocks at Finisterre and haven't found a satisfactory replacement.)

I bought it in Sweden. But it's called "Chamba", by The North Face. It's very soft and got good big pockets. And it's almost knee length, too. Perfect for churches. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
G'day! Just four weeks now before we leave Melbourne for the Camino! :D BLIMEY!!! after reading some of the tips on this thread I think a mini van could be required!! :wink: :wink: :lol: Seriously folks! thanks for all the good ideas you've shared!
Buen Camino! va ya con dios!

I have trekked and walked and hiked in travel skirts from Macabiskirt.com
Can't say enough about them. BIG pockets, can turn into shorts (kind of) and have a secret pocket for passport/money. I use them more than pants when I'm travelling. 3 lengths. Lots of colours.

JohnnieWalker said:
These things... however I must confess I think they would have limited use on the camino and they are "once only use" items.

What about using velcro cable ties? Re-usable for certain and anyone trying to undo them should make that annoying velcro-ripping noise as well.

Flip-flops - lighter and less bulky than Crocs. Also a small monocular (is that the right word? A single binocular...) for checking out if that menacing black shape in the distance is a bull or just a bush! And a small bottle of lavender oil. I didn't take this last item but wish I had. Helps you sleep, is mildly disinfectant, and also a few drops on a hankie can block out unpleasant albergue whiffs...

Yes are really great site with some many tips - the list must weigh more than 10 kg (lol). For me, as a one time perigreno "less is definitely more" - in other words a backpack that is not more than 10 Kg (with or without water).
I carried an android table (with email access) and I scanned all my relevant documents (passport; insurance policy docs; credit/debit card numbers and a few essential contact details that don't stay in the memory as you get older!) and then emailed them to myself - they had an interesting subject title so that no hackers would have been interested. The tablet proved beneficial - with guide books; camino trekking guides and of course searching for hotels/hostels went arriving late at night (I travelled before and after my camino). Yes I know that Iphones/smart phones can do the same - but I find the screens to small and my fingers to large.

Thanks again to our original pilgrim and I will be sure to recheck before my next camino. :)

From my first Camino, the absolute first thing into my backpack is Tiger Balm, a lovely Korean girl saved my Camino a few years ago when my knee packed in. Tiger Balm on the affected area and jobs a good 'un. Smells great too!

Second thing for me is a little quirky, but I stitch the Union flag onto my backpack, it's a conversation starter and people know straight away where you're from. Can just about make it out below.

Untitled.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
6 dice - then you can play 'rolling' (a great counting game) or Yahtzee (you need paper/pen or a stick and dirt too!) Kept my small mind busy for hours
(mmh - and I took the 'cobber', crocs, cable ties, sink stopper, onya bag, wipes, nappy pins, poncho - were we sposed to be travelling light?!)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Items I loved most (not necessarily in order of importance):
Headlamp
Ear plugs
Buff to put over my eyes and ears in larger dormitories
Synthetic chamois as towel and offered privacy in my bunk.
Crocs
Sea to Summit sil nylon day pack. Weighed almost nothing, scrunched up to the size of a golf ball. Used it for groceries or side trips on rest days.

Sorry Sillydoll, I fully agree with MikeB. I am an Espresso addict and even took along a miniature Italian espresso steam-broiler; used it only once...for the show. With bars at every corner along the Camino serving mostly excellent coffee and any other warm beverages for only a coin, feed the local economy, avoid the fussing of fetching water> looking for a plug> cleaning....and keep the deadweight out of your pack.
Pierre aka Don Pedro

You are welcome Pano! The immersion heater has come in handy on many Caminos where there were no stoves and no café-bars, especially at the end of day.
I don't drink tea or coffee but I carry it with me all the same and start my day off with hot water and lemon.

€83,-
2) Square piece of bubble wrap to sit on during rest/lunch breaks. Weight/space/cost next to nothing!

In Girl Scouts we used what we call sit-upons. Take a piece of vinyl tablecloth fabric and fold it in half, place some newspaper inside and sew closed. Instant place to sit on the ground and not get dirty.

I took a small tube of super glue, that ended up holding my boot together for the final legs.
This can also be used for cuts, instead of taking band aids.

I was told by someone to carry an extra pair of hiking shoes.... do i really need to do that?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
OK peregrinos, this first-time pilgrim (leaving SJPdP on May 19) hopes to learn from your experience. What was the SINGLE smartest "unexpected" item you included in your backpack? Keep it to one item, please, and (may I suggest?) skip the basics. I hoping for examples of items I would NEVER have considered taking! Maybe even little "luxury" items that weigh essentially nothing but that greatly enhanced your Camino experience. Be creative, now!

I would go the opposite way , what not to bring and only one ' our ego '

Interesting thread. Having read all of this I'm imagining staggering into an albergue dusty, sweating and thirsty. The place is festooned with paracord, dental floss, bungee cords and duck tape. Peregrinos are poking each other with needles, one is having a bath in a zip lock bag (a must see), another is is smoking cigars, one even wearing a nappy (diaper). What sort of madness am I letting myself in for? Time to reach for the most important item. The one without which this scene from Hieronymus Bosch would be intolerable. In the land of Tempranillo.... a cork screw.

For me, a needle, polyester thread, and a thimble, all in an old film cansiter - total weight about 20g. Saved my pilgrimage to St Davids (SW Wales) when the strap over my left shoulder snapped on my rucksack.

Totally agree, and on the same day my rucksack snapped, I needed to use it. Why? To scare off a herd of very inquistive, even agressivly inquisitive, bullocks who were only a couple of metres from me as I crossed a field, even by keeping close to the hedge. Waving arms, stick, shouting did nothing - but on the first short blast of the whistle they flinched, the second longer blast, they bolted.

Sorry Sil, but I have taken this on two winter pilgrimages of two weeks each, and used it just once - and that was to try to make Glühwein! Otherwise it was just 125g of weight.

Just my observations
Mike

That is some mighty fine stitching Mike!! I dont think I could do that!!

I keep thinking what my favorite item was... I have taken and will take again, both the spork, a kind of shopping bag and needle and thread without question.

I guess my favorite item would be my pair of crocks!

Weighing virtually nothing, they keep my feet clean in dirty showers, quick-dry and serve as shoes for walking after hours in the towns, so your feet can air out when not carrying a backpack.
Off course, the downside is they are butt-ugly, but then, who cares when you are a pilgrim? :mrgreen:

[Edit] PS Look, I just saw them in my picture after pressing 'Submit' :lol:

LOL! Well if you're going to go ugly, go ugly BIG! I say go big or go home
For me it was a ecosack shopping bag, rolls up to finger size and weighs next to nothing, I had a reusable shopping bag first time, but found ecosack better, smaller.
1.5 metres of muslin, this is my towel, it weighs next to nothing, dries in minutes and does not smell.
A spork with serrated part on handle, found I did not need a knife at all.
A lightweight lavalava/sulu wrap. Slept in this, wore it to bathroom, used it a skirt/wrap with just my fleece over it when I washed everything at laundromat.Got dressed under it, it is my single favourite piece of gear. Most other things have been mentioned. Gitti
I had to look up lavalava/sulu to find out what it was, fun!!

A couple of 18" cable (electrical) ties are handy and light. You can attach your pack strap to your chair or a post to slow down someone trying to take it. You can hang your pack away from bed bugs. And they have many other uses.

Hi Falcon:
Are they strong enough to hold up your pack from bed posts?

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.