• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smart Packing and Unexpected Backpack Items

They would avoid the scenario in "The Way" where his rucksack was grabbed in the cafe.

Thank you for this post - I had no idea about this movie - I am going to watch it - it looks great.
V.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
NB: I cut back and forth between Frances, Norte, and Primitivo so not necessarily applicable to any, but...

Two items I almost didn't take but I found essential: 1. Hiking poles (thanks, Tia Maria)---didn't use them for the 'correct' purpose, but found when road-walking the BMWs and Mercedes intent on killing me noticed the poles in my right hand/worried about their paint so left more than a one cm space between us 2. A runner's baseball style hat (thanks Michael). I didn't think it was necessary since my rain jacket had a hood. My marathon coach said to take it. He was right, hoods don't keep enough water off of your face (since it snowed/rained on me continuously from SJPdP to Bilbao I tested both--cap plus hood is best). Runner's= light wt/quick dry.

Luxuries: stowaway brand fold-up Bluetooth keyboard--size of my iphone, hard aluminum case, made typing so much nicer. (I don't consider my iphone a luxury--put my maps and guides in kindle, let my family know this solo pilgrim didn't die on the Hospitales--once I was off and had connectivity again :), took pictures,provided music on my rest days and yes, with wee fee let me get the luxury of an internet-fix). Hair dryer bought in Pamplona--never used it for my hair, just tired of socks never drying in the wet weather.

Ps I should make clear Tia Maria suggested the poles for the correct use on the Norte/Primitivo. Use as an early warning system was my idea

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Pocket pack of tissues. One for the pocket another for the pack. Comes wrapped in plastic so I know I will have dry toilet tissue when and where needed.

Pocket pack of tissues. One for the pocket another for the pack. Comes wrapped in plastic so I know I will have dry toilet tissue when and where needed.

Don't forget to bring small plastic bags to store and carry the used toilet tissue until it can properly be disposed. Not left on the trail for all to see.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Early on I saw the problem of not enough outlets in Albergue rooms. Met a guy carrying his own 3 place wall outlet (makes one outlet into three) he'd picked up at a china bazaar so I did the same. 2.50€ Light weight, convenient and did't blow any fuses anywhere!

Early on I saw the problem of not enough outlets in Albergue rooms. Met a guy carrying his own 3 place wall outlet (makes one outlet into three) he'd picked up at a china bazaar so I did the same. 2.50€ Light weight, convenient and did't blow any fuses anywhere!
And I bet you made a lot of friends, since every time you plugged it in, you gave someone else access to an outlet, too!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well done. Thank you.

LOL! Well if you're going to go ugly, go ugly BIG! I say go big or go home

I had to look up lavalava/sulu to find out what it was, fun!!
a 10 foot length of parachute cord (take out the core) and safety pins for a clothes line. Okay, two items, Hikers Wool - It is fantastic.

These questions and more are answered in part 1 of my 5 part series Don't Stop Walking...enjoy.

For updates on the documentary and the series 'like' the facebook page

Buen Camino.
I was rather uncomplimentary in my original response to @zookn8r's video, and have removed my comments.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I needed my extra shoelace when I lost weight. Besides, belts are heavy, so shoelaces work better for a belt from the beginning.
I did that too, glad to know I wasn't the only. My dad makes custom belts and was horrified by that move.

O dear - I seem to have taken almost ALL the above items - sarong, nappy pins, earplugs, sink plug, army knife, whistle, crocs, buff, lavender oil - electrical ties - which saved my panniers... I took an open mind - but the item that got most work - was my sense of humour! A bit disappointed that no-one else took a seed-sprouting kit...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
O dear - I seem to have taken almost ALL the above items - sarong, nappy pins, earplugs, sink plug, army knife, whistle, crocs, buff, lavender oil - electrical ties - which saved my panniers... I took an open mind - but the item that got most work - was my sense of humour! A bit disappointed that no-one else took a seed-sprouting kit...

Sounds useful to me ! ;)

In my early Camino planning, way back when I discovered this wonderful forum, I was actually contemplating taking...........wait for it..........

A Rice Cooker..:rolleyes: The thread is here. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/youre-going-to-take-a-what.21824/

Looking back on the interesting debate that flowed; on the many ways that one could cook rice............makes me appreciate how supportive and non judgemental the members here are :)

I don't think anyone actually accused me of being insane!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Robo, first of all - FULL MARKS for your thoughtfulness & 'be prepared' stance, I'm very very impressed. Your wife is a lucky woman (princess or warrior or in between). But secondly ..... How did it finish? What did you do ... ? Love to have an update. And finally, having read several flame wars in this forum, I've also seen a tremendous amount of empathy, support and general 'looking out' for each other, and your Rice Cooker Thread is an excellent example of this.
Suzanne :)

Robo, first of all - FULL MARKS for your thoughtfulness & 'be prepared' stance, I'm very very impressed. Your wife is a lucky woman (princess or warrior or in between). But secondly ..... How did it finish? What did you do ... ? Love to have an update. And finally, having read several flame wars in this forum, I've also seen a tremendous amount of empathy, support and general 'looking out' for each other, and your Rice Cooker Thread is an excellent example of this.
Suzanne :)

Hi Suzanne,

Sadly we have parted company. The Rice Cooker was the last straw :(

Just kidding :D

But I'll be walking on my own now. After lots of training walks together Pat continues to find it a struggle and some minor health issues have emerged that will preclude her joining me. We agree it's probably for the best, as I was the one with the 'passion' for the Camino anyway, and she is happy for me to go............whilst she goes 'shopping' :eek:

I'm kind of relieved in a way. Whilst we hate to be apart, I think walking together wold have created quite a strain. We walk at very different speeds, have a different level of endurance and have very different ideas about what an acceptable level of discomfort is ;)

Two ideas which I have come across:

1) Cotton diaper as a "towel" (absorbant and dries fast). Also cheap!
2) Square piece of bubble wrap to sit on during rest/lunch breaks. Weight/space/cost next to nothing!

Enjoy the preparation!

Cheers,
LT

At my weight a square piece of bubble wrap to sit on might let out some loud pops at inopportune times!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
OK peregrinos, this first-time pilgrim (leaving SJPdP on May 19) hopes to learn from your experience. What was the SINGLE smartest "unexpected" item you included in your backpack? Keep it to one item, please, and (may I suggest?) skip the basics. I hoping for examples of items I would NEVER have considered taking! Maybe even little "luxury" items that weigh essentially nothing but that greatly enhanced your Camino experience. Be creative, now!
For me it was a second, small, folding rucksack....so when you go round town or out to eat you can carry your valuables and jacket in comfort without dragging the backpack - on the trail fold it and pack it, or use it as a liner for otems in the pack, or wear it on your front to balance load and carry food, water, map, shades, hat etc in, so you don,t have to keep breaking into the backpack!!!

OK peregrinos, this first-time pilgrim (leaving SJPdP on May 19) hopes to learn from your experience. What was the SINGLE smartest "unexpected" item you included in your backpack? Keep it to one item, please, and (may I suggest?) skip the basics. I hoping for examples of items I would NEVER have considered taking! Maybe even little "luxury" items that weigh essentially nothing but that greatly enhanced your Camino experience. Be creative, now!

I never see it listed by name in anyone else’s packing list, but the smartest item for me is my lightweight cotton full length pyjama bottoms. I wear them every night with my next day’s walking top. They are loose and comfortable and add a bit of extra warmth if the night is cold. If the night is too hot then I can sleep on top of my sleeping bag, uncovered, and still be respectably attired. Jill

Robo, I totally get the need for a rice cooker ! So I really admire your attitude.....no relationship is perfect, but...the offer to carry a rice cooker is way up there towards 10 out of 10! :)
Well no need in the end, but full points anyway! I hope Pat is fine....and wish you Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Artery clamps for clothes pins, clamp items on pack, in high wind clamp rain cover in place, hang items from belt loops.

As Relume99 said - a second bag to use for shopping, bit n bobs etc - i had an Onyabag - made from parachute material, it folded up and clipped on my rucksack/pannier but was strong enough to fit a couple of days shopping in (those wine bottles are heavy...)

Maybe even little "luxury" items that weigh essentially nothing but that greatly enhanced your Camino experience. Be creative, now!
Next time my luxury item will be either 1/4 of a rough ol' cotton washcloth, part of a luffa or a bath/shower scrubbie. I took a nano ultralight towel, cut it smaller and was using it as my washcloth in the shower. No matter how much soap, I never felt scrubbed!!!

An umbrella! My poncho ripped open in many places in a storm. I already had a mini super lightweight umbrella with me, but my husband decided that we needed something a bit bigger. It proved to be a god-send - both against the rain and against the sun over a couple of long treeless stretches. Anne
I bought an umbrella in Santiago (always rains in Santiago) to walk to the hospital to say thanks for the previous years issues and help, the wind was blowing a gale so after getting soaked all over the umbrella self destructed as I threw it away (in a rubbish bin) I looked down and stuck to the pavement with the rain was 20 euro and I was able to get a taxi back, the Camino always provides.

Thanks everyone for all the good information. I will come back to this conversation prior to departing for mi gran aventura rumbo a Santiago.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Ha ha, like Tim Moore, cycling the route of the Tour de France - he proudly announced this to all the bars he entered and wondered why no one seemed impressed - He said he was doing La tour not Le tour! He was 'doing the Eiffel tower'... A warning to all of us who struggle with other languages.

Having just been reading this topic for the first time in about a year, I have looked at all the "must have" extra items, and have just ordered a 120 kg back-pack for all those 'essential' extras.
This will also enable me to pack a small fridge for those hot evenings when ice cubes in the whiskey are essential, my folding bike, together with an electric blanket and small generator for the cold albergues ...
Keep smiling, peregrinos ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Falcon, I have this clothesline and it has been invaluable! I use a couple of carabiners to attach it to whatever I can

The sink stopper has been on my mind each camino, then it slips out, but once I'm in Spain, I sure wish I had it in many albergues and hostals. Washing clothes in running water is pretty inefficient alright, but also very wasteful.

To add to the list, one of my favorite items is the cooling neck tie. On 30+ days, this kept me going.

lynne

Interesting. I've seen many posts that say clothesline and stopper are not necessary, but obviously others think they are. What to do?...

yes, a nice S hook is good to have along. And a bungee cord. And a pillow case. Gotta have my pillowcase. And a bit of duct tape, wrapped around my ink pen. Gotta have duct tape, it repairs everything from busted backpacks to blisters.

Yes, I keep duct tape wrapped around one of my hiking poles, just below the grip. Gotta have my duct tape!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Interesting. I've seen many posts that say clothesline and stopper are not necessary, but obviously others think they are. What to do?...
I've never brought a clothesline but always a stopper. It's so lightweight it's negligible to carry, and I found I used it most often in private hostals or hotel rooms where hand-laundry is not as common

Having just been reading this topic for the first time in about a year, I have looked at all the "must have" extra items, and have just ordered a 120 kg back-pack for all those 'essential' extras.
This will also enable me to pack a small fridge for those hot evenings when ice cubes in the whiskey are essential, my folding bike, together with an electric blanket and small generator for the cold albergues ...
Keep smiling, peregrinos ;)

Just a 'like' is not enough! :D:D:D Oh and you forgot the hair-dryer! :D

Falcon's hand-wipes made me think of something - although I would not consider it a luxury - a good sturdy flannel (facecloth). When cycling we hang it on one of out front baskets with a spring clip so it dries without going smelly. Neither of us really feels clean if we haven't had a good scrub with a flannel - wipes just wouldn't have the same exfoliating effect. And if you want to wash up during the day there it is, all ready to take into a loo with a hand basin, or to wet from the water bottle.

So no you know how to recognise us - we're the ones with the grubby looking facecloth.

A great idea!
I bought a Tek Towel 30x60 which I plan to cut in two and add another snap fastener to the second one to hang off our packs for all the good reasons you have suggested.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not in my backpack, in my pocket: a whistle.
Weighs nearly nothing, hopefully will never be used.
But if you fall down a ravine, you might be able to shout for an hour or so, leaving you without a voice. A whistle goes on and on.
Or to attract attention in other nasty situations.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo
A 10ml bottle of tea tree essential oil. Can be applied direct onto your skin as antiseptic, disinfectant, mosquito bite reliever. (obviously don't take internally or apply to sensitive skin areas. Disinfects suspect lavatories, cooking utensils etc

A spiral immersion heater to make tea, coffee, cup-of-soup etc. Never travel without it.[/QUOTE

I am also planning on bringing an immersion heater. I've searched for a battery operated one but in the States, can't seem to find one. Any recommendations? Thank you.

I am also planning on bringing an immersion heater. I've searched for a battery operated one but in the States, can't seem to find one. Any recommendations? Thank you.

I had seen this a while ago but couldn't find it for sale anywhere. http://dornob.com/hot-water-to-go-portable-battery-powered-drink-heater/

I sort of gave up looking for it because it seemed to me that carrying batteries (and possibly a recharger) would be just as heavy as carrying the coil with the plug. Is your reason for preferring this type because you want to be able to make coffee in the middle of the countryside, or are you concerned about the weight?

buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
and nappy pins (diaper pins) as they lock shut.
David where do you find locking nappy pins these days? They seem to have gone out of fashion. Our last one has disappeared :( it had only been around 42 years.

I had seen this a while ago but couldn't find it for sale anywhere. http://dornob.com/hot-water-to-go-portable-battery-powered-drink-heater/

I sort of gave up looking for it because it seemed to me that carrying batteries (and possibly a recharger) would be just as heavy as carrying the coil with the plug. Is your reason for preferring this type because you want to be able to make coffee in the middle of the countryside, or are you concerned about the weight?

buen camino, Laurie

I do not believe, that such thing like portable battery powered water heater exist. In best case it can heat up just a couple grades C. In order to heat up 200ml water from 20 to 100 grades C, one needs 16000 cal or about 67kJ energy. To deliver such amount of energy 3 fully charged IPhone 6 batteries will be required.

buen camino, Laurie
Hi, Laurie, and thanks for your response. I wanted an immersion heater because sometimes i can't even tie my shoes without a caffeine jump-start :)
I will purchase a corded one. ..only hoped to find a battery one for nights I choose to camp. In lieu of that, a half bottle of water with an instant coffee pack, shaken not stirred, will have to suffice. Such good info on this site. So looking forward to starting my Walk June 2nd.

David where do you find locking nappy pins these days? They seem to have gone out of fashion. Our last one has disappeared :( it had only been around 42 years.
Tia, not sure if you are in the US or not, but here our hobby stores and fabric stores carry packs of different sizes.

In the UK, where they seem to have disappeared :(

A selection of Camino Jewellery
the Kitchen Sink is made by Sea to Summit
the 10l version weighs 124g
and is ideal for sitting outside, away from the crowds and washing your clothing as the sun sets
also, it looks good for foot care - soak your feet in this with a soothing salt and vinegar mix or some soothing stuff
real luxuary when theyre few and far between[/QUOTE

That is such a great tip. May I ask, are you able to find soaking salts- magnesium sulfate along the Camino? (we call them Epsom salts in US). I use this regularly here and think it would be so helpful for my feet.

Couldn't find any in Boots last time I looked, or Mothercare, some time ago (all velcro type stuff on shaped towelling nappies!) but fashions change so I will look again. Also will try Hobbycraft, they have a store next door to a Boots near us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ha! This link is way too dangerous. I've been accused of way overpacking for canoe trips in the past, but have been bound and determined to not overpack for my first Camino. I love my gadgets though! Will be interesting to see what my first attempt of filling my pack weighs. I have 27 days to find out. A thought that I haven't seen mentioned, how about a small amount of permethrin to spray on the bed posts? Will it go through TSA?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ya ok call me vain but my little beard trimmer it's my luxury item :)

The Dollar Store sells microfiber towels in the car care department 2 for $1. Dries much faster than the expensive "teck towels" and much lighter. They also have baby face cloths 4 for $1.

Falcon, I have this clothesline and it has been invaluable! I use a couple of carabiners to attach it to whatever I can

The sink stopper has been on my mind each camino, then it slips out, but once I'm in Spain, I sure wish I had it in many albergues and hostals. Washing clothes in running water is pretty inefficient alright, but also very wasteful.

To add to the list, one of my favorite items is the cooling neck tie. On 30+ days, this kept me going.

lynne
Rick Steeves also has this type of clothesline available for purchase through his website. I have used it everywhere and finally forgot it on a balcony in Porto. It was so invaluable to me, I had to buy another.

Got some ideas from this thread. The only unique thing I can think of is my husband put a couple of little googly eyes stickers on the back of his backpack. They just made me and other pilgrims smile during some long hot stretches. That was one added weight I never begrudged us having!

Got some ideas from this thread. The only unique thing I can think of is my husband put a couple of little googly eyes stickers on the back of his backpack. They just made me and other pilgrims smile during some long hot stretches. That was one added weight I never begrudged us having!
I love that! Googly eyes are now on my checklist. :p

Falcon's hand-wipes made me think of something - although I would not consider it a luxury - a good sturdy flannel (facecloth). When cycling we hang it on one of out front baskets with a spring clip so it dries without going smelly. Neither of us really feels clean if we haven't had a good scrub with a flannel - wipes just wouldn't have the same exfoliating effect. And if you want to wash up during the day there it is, all ready to take into a loo with a hand basin, or to wet from the water bottle.

So no you know how to recognise us - we're the ones with the grubby looking facecloth.
I haven't done the Camino yet - set off in two weeks - but on other long treks I found chux wipes to be so very useful! They are light, quick drying and can be tied anywhere on your pack. A friend from the Bibulman track put me on to them actually. Buen Camino!

The Mighty Shampoo bar from Lush Cosmetics. Simply the best because it's equally good for hair, body and clothes. Most normal soap is hard to rinse from clothes and leaves a slimy residue, but not the Shampoo Bar. And comes in a free tin when you buy two. I buy the white one without bits in.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
"What Not To Take..."For my first Camino (3.5 weeks Portuguese, May/June 2016), I would have left behind many ounces of liquids. For example: 3 liquid oz of sunscreen (not necessary, as I had a stick of Banana Boat), 3 liquid oz of skin/hair oil (one ounce would have been plenty!), 3 ounces of toothpaste (2 would have done).

Luv'd wearing my Red Macabi skirt (super quick drying and versatile)!!!

Indispensable last minute idea and item taken???...a lightweight Sarong/Pareo!
This served me well: blanket, bunk curtain, after shower towel/clothing, scarf (see my profile pic), top, skirt, blanket, headrag/doo-rag, knee wrap, sun block, photo stand-in and so much more! Pareo/Sarong...don't leave home without it!

On this particular Camino, I would have rather taken a sleeping sheet instead of my sleeping bag.

Finally...I honestly wish I'd have tried out one of those silicone she-wee/go-girl/whatever-the-name, female urinary devices. Even thought I wore a Macabi skirt...it was still a hassle (on the trail, avoiding the already used areas) and I didn't like all the 'visibility', close calls.

I know all these things are relative to each person's unique needs, which season and route traveling in/on.

"Hind-sight"...isn't it a beautiful yet, elusive thing?! ;)

View attachment 27354
View attachment 27351
View attachment 27353

Anti Chaffing gel ... used it in the crotch for the first few days and then on my feet.
I think it really helped stop the blisters getting worsechaffing gell.jpg

Steve

My thrilling finds are the Eagle Creek silnylon COMPRESSION packing cubes. $38 (Amazon) for a medium and a small. I was able to squish a fluffy/cozy fleece hoodie (with zippered pockets) in the small size!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BYFC2UG/?tag=casaivar02-20

AND

Sea to Summit Travelling Light Ultra-Sil 20-Liter Travel Day Pack (Berry)[/B]
Sea to Summit
$32.95 (Amazon)

Soo tiny. The Berry color is nice. Fits in the palm of your hand. Plan to check pack (have poles, knife that have to be checked anyway) and use this as my carryon for the return flight.

Sea to Summit Travelling Light Ultra-Sil 20-Liter Travel Day Pack (Berry)[/B]
Sea to Summit
$32.95 (Amazon)

Soo tiny. The Berry color is nice. Fits in the palm of your hand. Plan to check pack (have poles, knife that have to be checked anyway) and use this as my carryon for the return flight.
We have these tiny packs for sight seing once we have reached our daily destination. Great little packs and so easy to pack and carry. We also used them as extra space for items bought when we reached Santiago, so made sure that everything went into our main packs at the start. Then take out travel items....to put in the Silsac

The late, great, Douglas Adams. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

I made one for winter camping by using duct tape to completely enclose two old computer mouse pads. Waterproof and insulation between my butt and the snowbank I ate lunch on. I just slid it down the inside of my pack to carry--maybe it kept my back a little warmer, too :)

Well, if we're talking luxury: a small tube of eye cream. Every camino it has soothed me morning and night and made me think/hope that I wasn't turning into a hag from the ravages of daily sun and wind. :)

lynne
In Australia, Nivea has just brought out a sunscreen 50+SPF that is also a moisturiser. It will be my choice, even if I have to decant it into a lighter container.

It is so second nature to me that I have failed to put an item on my packing list even though I always have one in my pack (whether on the camino or using my pack as luggage). That is a shoe horn. Mine only weights 8 grams. Been doing it for years and it extends the life of your boots. You don't break down the ankle cuff by wiggling and shoving your feet into your boots, they just slide right on.

These things... however I must confess I think they would have limited use on the camino and they are "once only use" items.
They can be re-used IF you have a tiny tool to slip into the "buckle" and unlatch the "teeth". My multi-tool has a tiny screwdriver blade that fills the bill.

Here's something I don't think has been mentioned yet -- a spare set of bootlaces.

My bootlaces are 72 inches long (182+ cm) and, when tied together with a sheet-bend (a knot that is unlikely to jam when supporting weight), will serve admirably as a 12-foot (365+ cm) clothes-line. Use the previously-lauded safety pins as clothes pins.

Dental floss could probably also be used as a light-duty clothes line but can be difficult to see in low light. Wouldn't want to inadvertently "clothes-line" a fellow peregrino!

Here's something I don't think has been mentioned yet -- a spare set of bootlaces.

My bootlaces are 72 inches long (182+ cm) and, when tied together with a sheet-bend (a knot that is unlikely to jam when supporting weight), will serve admirably as a 12-foot (365+ cm) clothes-line. Use the previously-lauded safety pins as clothes pins.

Dental floss could probably also be used as a light-duty clothes line but can be difficult to see in low light. Wouldn't want to inadvertently "clothes-line" a fellow peregrino!
I didn't stay at any albergues that didn't have clotheslines, so I'd say that they aren't necessary to bring. I know that others bring them, though.

I have never needed spare shoelaces, but I use some as the string in a string backpack for city use, and they can also make a clothesline. You referred to "safety pins" - I assume you are aware of the advantages of diaper pins.-They are large, strong and lock. They can be hard to find these days, but they do still exist and are carried in some drugstores or baby supply places.

I have never needed spare shoelaces, but I use some as the string in a string backpack for city use, and they can also make a clothesline. You referred to "safety pins" - I assume you are aware of the advantages of diaper pins.-They are large, strong and lock. They can be hard to find these days, but they do still exist and are carried in some drugstores or baby supply places.
Agree about the diaper pins. For those who live near a Daiso or ¥100 store they have three different sizes of diaper or nappy pins for purchase. I found the middle size to be perfect. I couldn't find a link to those but here's a link to the big ones. http://www.daisojapan.com/p-32253-safety-pins-big-53-31-04-in-12pks.aspx

You referred to "safety pins" - I assume you are aware of the advantages of diaper pins.-They are large, strong and lock. They can be hard to find these days, but they do still exist and are carried in some drugstores or baby supply places.

As a father, and a grandfather four times over, I am rather familiar with them. I just find the slightly smaller, "standard" safety pins to be more versatile.

And not just to pin things together. To provide one rather extreme example, standard safety pins can be turned into excellent line-guides for a field-expedient fishing rod. Though they would work, diaper pins are a bit too large (and more expensive).

Given to me at Sydney airport when leaving for the camino were a few tiny "lockable" carabiners each about 3 cms long. At the time I thought "huh?!!". Turns out I used them all the time. Attached stuff to my backpack and relaxed knowing it wasn't going to fall off. Secured my day to day money purse to my shoulder bag which made it easier to find and guarded against opportunistic theft. Fixed the little bag containing my phone to my sleeping sheet at night as didn't want to sleep with the phone on my body. Not sure if these are the same but this is the sort of thing I had: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Por...2666437774.html?spm=2114.40010308.4.12.1ZHXhn

For all intents and purposes, the best thread I have read on the forum. No over-engineering, simple logical and uber useful. Thanks. Based on my travels, earplugs... Huge. After 10 days in Spain with a snoring friend and no sleep I ended up run down and got a nasty chest infection and fever.

Add a sleep mask to the earplugs and -- Voila! -- a night of uninterrupted sleep. I routinely carry both with me when flying. Both (especially the earplugs) can come in handy on a 3+-hour flight.

A knowledge of Spanish is most useful and weighs nothing, and can be so enriching of the whole Camino.

I also bring a tiny booklet with the prayers and responses of the Mass in Spanish which enables me to participate more fully in the Mass each evening. If anyone wants a copy I will send it to them if they P.M. their email address to me.

Buen Camino,

Lydia
Thanks for the link, Lydia. Found "Ordinary of Mass" - didn't realize this was the response!...mm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These questions and more are answered in part 1 of my 5 part series Don't Stop Walking...enjoy.

For updates on the documentary and the series 'like' the facebook page

www.facebook.com/beyondtheway

Buen Camino.

I haven't gone on my first camino yet, so I have no idea how accurate this guy is... but I love watching him. Great set of videos to help with mental prep!

A very large folding hat with wire edge as it allowed me to walk in 37' sunshine

Lidocaine gel. A dab on blisters and you won't feel them for a while. Use sparingly, ask your doctor first, and for the love of Santiago, do NOT put it on chafed skin (yes, that was me screaming in the bathroom).

€149,-
Onya backpack - we cycle and this nifty little bag is about 3" square and hangs on my front pannier, whenever i go shopping i can take it - or anything else - swimming gear/towel (at Ourense for the hot springs...) off to visit churches/ruins - picnic/kindle/water, take clothes etc in shower...

Not in my backpack, in my pocket: a whistle.
Weighs nearly nothing, hopefully will never be used.
But if you fall down a ravine, you might be able to shout for an hour or so, leaving you without a voice. A whistle goes on and on.
Or to attract attention in other nasty situations.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo
Last Oct/ Nov, I walked the Frances on my own. There was one stretch where a man had hassled another solo female walker & the closer I got the more anxious I became. I stopped in a village & bought a whistle (the only one available in the tiny shop was shaped as a cross) & I hung this around my neck for the rest of my pilgrimage. Happily I didn't need it, but I felt better having it

Onya backpack - we cycle and this nifty little bag is about 3" square and hangs on my front pannier, whenever i go shopping i can take it - or anything else - swimming gear/towel (at Ourense for the hot springs...) off to visit churches/ruins - picnic/kindle/water, take clothes etc in shower...
I bought a little nylon backpack which weighed virtually nothing & folded really small. This I used every evening when going out to hold my wallet & other valuables as well as a sweater if needed.

Last Oct/ Nov, I walked the Frances on my own. There was one stretch where a man had hassled another solo female walker & the closer I got the more anxious I became. I stopped in a village & bought a whistle (the only one available in the tiny shop was shaped as a cross) & I hung this around my neck for the rest of my pilgrimage. Happily I didn't need it, but I felt better having it

Osprey backpacks and possibly others have a whistle built-in as part of the chest strap buckle. I think this often is overlooked.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.