• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smart Wool Socks

Kanga

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
I keep reading about smart wool socks. Alas, I have wool socks but I fear they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Or even the leading ram. How do you measure if a sock is smart? IQ tests? Or is it just a bit like "targeted pain relief"? Marketing spin?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Made from Highly Intelligent Sheep. I wear them while hunting and while working in waterways wearing hip boots. Hold up very well and are warm.

Hi Kanga - I saw the posts also, but no mention of place of manufacture. I have just ordered a pair of walking socks - made from - wait for it - "bamboo" !! I have a shirt that is part bamboo fabric and something els - might even be hemp. Cheers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Kanga - I saw the posts also, but no mention of place of manufacture. I have just ordered a pair of walking socks - made from - wait for it - "bamboo" !! I have a shirt that is part bamboo fabric and something els - might even be hemp. Cheers

Hi Mike I'll be interested to hear what you think of the socks. I like the feel of bamboo (I've a t shirts) but it does take forever to dry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I discovered Smartwool socks I threw out all my other socks. Yeah, they're that good. Wool with some stretch, yet they don't shrink in the dryer or lose their stretch (or elasticity). They dry reasonably fast, and stay warm if they get wet (or you sweat in them). My feet are always dry and comfy. I swear by them.

They make all varieties of socks too -- I have their dress socks for my dress shoes, and their liners and hiking socks for my hiking boots. They make crew socks and running socks for sneakers too.

http://www.smartwool.com

KR

I keep reading about smart wool socks. Alas, I have wool socks but I fear they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer. Or even the leading ram. How do you measure if a sock is smart? IQ tests? Or is it just a bit like "targeted pain relief"? Marketing spin?

Hey Kanga, I've used Smartwool socks along with Icebreaker merino wool ones for over 3,000 kms of Camino walking and they have never failed me. Of course ....footwear, socks, liners, toe socks, tape, Vaseline, wool, powder, etc.......is such a personal thing. Whatever works for you works!!!! AND, I'm as dumb as a doorknob and they had no effect on me!!!!! Dayton

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
They're made in the US and the "smart" part of them is their ability to wick away the moisture from your feet (main cause of blisters!). Before walking one day I accidently stepped in a small pool of water left by my boots. I thought of changing socks right then but didn't. When I took them off at the end of the day the outside of the socks was soaked and my feet were dry! Now that's SMART!

Hi, Kanga, I also use smartwool socks for the reasons KRomano describes. There is a huge variety of different types of socks, different weights, etc., so you have lots of additional decisions to make even when you decide to go down the smartwool line. I have found that, for me, the Ph.D. socks are the best -- not too heavy, with extra padding limited to heel and toe area, so the middle part of your food, which doesn't need extra padding, doesn't get overly hot.

There are, however, 15 different varieties of smartwool Ph.D. socks, so this is product differentiation brought to new heights (or lows, depending on your perspective).

http://www.smartwool.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?cat=6667&cid=ps:GOOGLE:Brand Sock Types - US:smartwool socks phd:smartwool phd socks&gclid=CI3z9o7B_r0CFenm7AodC2EAlA&q=PhD&utm_campaign=Brand Sock Types - US&utm_content=SmartWool&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_term=smartwool phd socks

Made from Highly Intelligent Sheep. I wear them while hunting and while working in waterways wearing hip boots. Hold up very well and are warm.
How do you wear a highly intelligent sheep? Does the sheep sit still while you put it on? Do they actually walk on your behalf, kinda like that mechanical horse/pig/bull thing posted on here a couple weeks back?

;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I used to use Smart Wool socks, but switched to Darn Tough merino after a couple of the SWs wore out.

Most of the intelligence comes from the Merino wool itself, and from the weave. IMO, the smart thing to do is to avoid socks with "loopy" or "cushiony" soles, whether wool or otherwise (which is what my original SWs had). While cushiony may feel more comfortable around the house, a tight solid weave will last much longer under the constant wear of hiking.

My current DTs are four years old. I wear them for everyday use, regular backpacking in the Rockies, and my Camino. They show almost no signs of wear in spite of literally 1000s of miles. I wash and dry them along with everything else and no special care. Oh, and they were about 1/2 the price of the SWs. Not sure if that has changed since, but I'd need a compelling reason to go back.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My question is because I have recently bought several pairs of socks and am considering them for the Camino (have always worn Thorlos before). They are tightly woven very good quality woollen socks. They are made by a small family owned woollen mill and I buy them direct. They fit perfectly, wash and dry easily, don't lose shape and look like new after about 6 months. Plus they are a glorious bright red. I have no idea if they "wick" away moisture - I'll try some experiments - stick my foot in water and see what happens. And they are cheap as chips.
Any comments?

Merino is naturally wicking, but it can be increased or decreased by artificial treatments, by machine washing (generally helps increase it), as well as by the weave and thread size (smaller is generally better). You're pretty much assured that they'll be wicking, though not as much as many artificial sports socks.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kanga
Lol. Your post will forever effect my view of sheep in a field ! ( are they indeed hiding their light under a bushel ?)

KR'. I will look into those socks. Worth investigating anyway.

St. Mike. My walking friend last year had two (wildly coloured) bamboo socks. They were her favourite items of gear. She thought she had the answer there. But. They took forever to dry.

I wore smart wool socks of different thickness for my Camino. Being a diabetic & suffering from early stages of nerve neuropathy, the bottom of my feet were very sensitive. I was glad I brought 3 pairs of extra socks. In the morning , to start my day, I'd wear the thick sock (smart wool PhD -yes they were that smart).Around lunchtime or early afternoon I'd massage my feet, apply more creamy Vaseline if needed, then put on the thin smart wool sock because by this time my feet would be swollen. Kept my feet warm & dry. No blisters all the way to Santiago!!

Phd smart wool Merino socks are amazing .I have 2 thin pairs and 1 thick .This means I can wear 1 thin pair or 2 thin pair , 1 thick pair or 1 thick and 1 thin pair
They dry overnight, don't have bulky seams at the toe ,wick moisture and are odour free!!! I say
Very smart indeed;))

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Kanga, I bought Merino socks from
www.snowgum.com.au
I had two pair as well as two pairs of liner socks (Bridgedale). I only ever wore the same inner and outer socks for the whole of the Camino and I washed them out every evening and they were always dry for the next day. Sadly the store here in WA has closed so I just bought another pair on line. They have done so well that I am going to use the same pair for the Via de la Plata. The additional pair are for a backup. Although I tended to put on the inner sock in the evenings with my ash grey crocs to keep my feet warm.
They must have been good socks because my spare pair were "lifted" by a person unknown where I was in Pamplona. Thus the washing out of my only pair each evening for the remainder of my journey. Never got to see those lovely socks again and they were quite distinctive.
All the best.

Last edited:
Ah here are the socks Kanga. I took my boots off to rest and air my feet.Snowgumsocks.JPG

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm not convinced that anything mentioned is better than the woollen socks I have. Mine I like better than Snowgum or Bridgedale. The weave is tighter, the seams almost nonexistent. I bought them as ordinary socks but think I will give them a go on a hiking trail.

It is always best to travel in what you are comfortable with and that serve your purpose. I guess we all try different things (trial and error) and find what is best and affordable and beats the blister blues and just keeps those feet walking to who knows where.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Al, this gave me a really good belly laugh. Thanks, and between the two of us we might just make a good pair.

Great thread! I wear Smartwool's almost all the time too! I've also discovered how great they are when wet this past winter on one exceptionally cold and wet and windy hike. My feet got quite wet (read drenched!) and while a bit cool, I was never cold enough to be uncomfortable. They actually dried nicely while we sat at lunch in a local restaurant. People with me wearing synthetics where much colder and more uncomfortable. SO...Smartwool or some such will remain my go to socks. Tried, tested and double thumbs up from me.

Others may have different mileage (kilometerage?), or foot behaviors, but I also find good wool socks to be reasonably comfortable in warm weather as well. The same pair that is good spring/fall cold and wet also works in high summer.

I find them outstanding. It isn't just about warmth - they provide great cushioning and, most importantly, move moisture away from your skin thereby reducing blisters. Only complaint is that they are fairly expensive.
I try to grab them when there is a sale at REI. But, unlike so many of my synthetic running socks, they hold up amazingly. I'm still wearing pairs I bought more than four or five years ago!

SmartWool is a brand name, widely sold in the U.S. And on the internet. They're made of Merino wool.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For those in the US, checkout the Duluth trading company...smart wool socks (different types) at comparable costs to others and free shipping over $50. They also have quickdrying underwear too! It was my mom who had pointed me in their direction.

Kris

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.