• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smartphone and Camin(h)o

eze

Time of past OR future Camino
Francès 2005/2006
Norte 2007
Plata 2008
Eze (home) Roma
Mozarabe April 2014 (Granada-Cordoba) March 2016 (Córdoba-Merida)
Camino Gironès September 2014 (La Jonquera-Vic)
Hello, I have learnt, to day, that, before we leave for our fourth Camino + Roma, we shall be offered, my wife and I, a smartphone 4S.
I have read that some of you already use them.
I would be interested to be able to read Caminho pela Costa maps while walking when necessary.
How could i do ?

Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We used an iphone navigation app ,named NAVMII. We bought the navigation apps in the appstore. We paid about 8€ for the Portugese app and about 5€ for the Spanish one
You do not need an internet connection to use them. It is offline and works everywhere at the caminho. There also exist feee apps called Navfree from Spain and Portugal a.o. But they are not as accurate as the paid apps.
Furthermore arriving at Lisbon airport we bought a prepaid card at Vodaphone (15€ ) to call hostels of hotels on the trail to book a room for the night, cheaper than to use your card from home
Bom caminho

Muito obrigado, merci beaucoup, thanks very much.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately where I live the Navmii app does not offer maps for Spain according to the Apple App Store. :(
I hope this will change by the time I walk the Camino.

Unfortunately where I live the Navmii app does not offer maps for Spain according to the Apple App Store. :(
I hope this will change by the time I walk the Camino.
What you can do, keep your app "maps " updated everytime you'll have a wifi connection by locating yourself.
Later on your way you can be located by gps as long as you do not enlarge your screen to much. Just as an indication where you are.
On the other hand. You can't get lost following the yellow marks.

Good tip, thanks!

I'm also interested in GPS not only in case I find myself needing direction, I'm also interested in recording where I've been, too. (For my less-than-stellar memory) I don't know if offline "path tracking" apps exist though.

At home I use MapMyWalk, but it needs Internet connectivity, so I surely won't be using that with roaming charges being as they are. It also sucks battery life.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You can use the iphone app map my tracks. It records your activity by gps. Later on when there is internet access f.ex by wifi you can upload it to your account and you can see with help of google earth or maps where you have been.

For battery backup on the iPhone 5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121124694423?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It holds about 1 1/2 additional charges, and does not weigh much. The flip cover adds a lot of protection.

Instead of roaming charges, get a pay as you go SIM chip. You get about a gigabyte for 15E on some plans on Vodafone specials, which change each month, and can be regional. Even for GPS and maps, that is a lot of data! Avoid streaming...

Albertinho & Falcon, that is very useful info. Thanks!

I'm almost a year out and I am having so much fun planning and preparing. I won't have much chance for research in the few months before I go, so I am trying to be as organised as possible now, to free me up to just GO when it's time.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Orux Maps for Android.

You will find it in Play Store, it is free and it allows you to create your own offline maps from variety of map services such as Google Maps, Microsoft Maps, etc...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.