• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Smashed toe

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I am waiting for a new pair of shoes to come tomorrow, as I have decided the Merrell Kapra hiking shoes are too narrow for my right foot. I am getting the New Balance Leadville 1210. Lots of shoe drama since I started my Camino preps and I've been through multiple pairs. Today, I dropped a 3 pound, frozen roast from the top freezer shelf onto my second toe. I smashed it pretty good. The whole end is swollen up and looks like a blackberry in color and shape. I can take my pulse through the throbbing in it:(. I leave for the Camino in 3 weeks. One thing after another! Good thing I have a sense of humor. I had a good laugh about it once I quit howling. That's what that stupid Morton's toe gets for sticking out so far. :D I had a nice 12 miler planned for tomorrow.I don't think it's going to happen now. I may possibly try it in my hiking sandals, as this toe isn't going into any shoe for a day or so. Wish me luck!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good luck - I've always worried about doing myself some damage on the run up to Camino departure. This year, so far, so good! One one more day to go.
Look after yourself - and that toe.
Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Maybe someone is telling you to slow down and stop worrying about your Camino .....

By giving you a 'distraction' to worry about ;)

Wishing you luck, but I think you know that you don't need it. :)

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sounds like just rest and (as Kango points out the irony) ice is going to help. The only advice I can give is if it is still bothering you a week out - maybe see a doctor. The friend I went with was having toe issues before we left and didn't, and it REALLY flared up while walking and really put her Camino in jeopardy. It may or may not have been avoided with a quick trip to the podiatrist before hand - but it certainly would not have hurt!

The whole toe is now black and blue, but I am cautiously optimistic that i won't lose the toenail. I had to push a hot needle through the nail to release the pressure from the blood under it. (My Daddy taught me that one) I have wrapped it a bit and have on my hiking sandals (with socks) and I am heading out to walk. It's a beautiful day in Washington state and I refuse to miss the nice walk I had planned. We're expecting 80 degrees here today!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife broke her toe in December and could hardly walk for a couple of weeks. Then she slipped on a wet floor a few weeks ago and it hit a cabinet and we think she broke it again. We're planning on walking in continuing our pilgrimage in June, and she's still at the point where if she goes out and walks a couple of miles, it will be swollen and tender the next day. I hope your toe isn't as bad. I you're able to walk on it today, you sound like you've just got bruising and no break, which is lucky.

We're hoping that if my wife stays off it for another week or so she'll be able to at least get a few weeks of training before we go. I'm working on my training now, wearing my pack when I walk the dogs every night, plus going out for a few hours a day on weekends. I'm trying to get built up to the point where I can carry a few kilos more than my planned load so I can carry some of her stuff if need be at the beginning, so she can build up strength as we go. I've been carrying 7-8 kilos so far with no problems, and will try to get it up to 10 kilos or so before we go. If, by chance, she recovers and gets in shape quickly so she can carry all of her stuff, boy is my pack going to feel light when we start. Otherwise it will feel perfectly "normal" with a few kilos of her stuff in it.

Ice and Arnica.

Arnica is wonderful for healing bruises quickly. Just dab the cream on a few times a day. It brings out the bruising quickly and speeds up the process.

Sometimes it can feel better if you tape the injured toe to the one next to it for support.

Good luck, and hope it feels better soon.

I may be wrong, but I would keep off the foot altogether. If you don't get any training before your Camino so what? I believe you will have a better out come when you do walk the Camino if you keep off of your feet. In my opinion the Camino is not a race, it's an experience. I sincerely hope everything works out well for you. Buen Camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The whole toe is now black and blue, but I am cautiously optimistic that i won't lose the toenail. I had to push a hot needle through the nail to release the pressure from the blood under it. (My Daddy taught me that one) I have wrapped it a bit and have on my hiking sandals (with socks) and I am heading out to walk. It's a beautiful day in Washington state and I refuse to miss the nice walk I had planned. We're expecting 80 degrees here today!
Hope it's going better soon.
Wish you well, Peter.

p[-
I may be wrong, but I would keep off the foot altogether. If you don't get any training before your Camino so what? I believe you will have a better out come when you do walk the Camino if you keep off of your feet. In my opinion the Camino is not a race, it's an experience. I sincerely hope everything works out well for you. Buen Camino.
I've gotten some pretty good training in already, thank heavens! I know it's not broken, just a bit squished. It isn't as painful as yesterday evening. I am going to try an amble down our lovely Chehalis Western trail today. I just want to see how I do wearing my hiking sandals with the toe hanging out and not squished into a shoe. I won't be able to stop on the trail for every little ache and pain, so I want to see how I do.

I am waiting for a new pair of shoes to come tomorrow, as I have decided the Merrell Kapra hiking shoes are too narrow for my right foot. I am getting the New Balance Leadville 1210. Lots of shoe drama since I started my Camino preps and I've been through multiple pairs. Today, I dropped a 3 pound, frozen roast from the top freezer shelf onto my second toe. I smashed it pretty good. The whole end is swollen up and looks like a blackberry in color and shape. I can take my pulse through the throbbing in it:(. I leave for the Camino in 3 weeks. One thing after another! Good thing I have a sense of humor. I had a good laugh about it once I quit howling. That's what that stupid Morton's toe gets for sticking out so far. :D I had a nice 12 miler planned for tomorrow.I don't think it's going to happen now. I may possibly try it in my hiking sandals, as this toe isn't going into any shoe for a day or so. Wish me luck!!
:(

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Be well! And, be gentile on your foot so it can heal.

On the other hand, if it starts to hurt too bad, hit your head against a tree and you probably won't notice the pain in your foot any longer . . . or perhaps you might rest extra instead. Kinda of an either/or option . . . ;)

p[-

I've gotten some pretty good training in already, thank heavens! I know it's not broken, just a bit squished. It isn't as painful as yesterday evening. I am going to try an amble down our lovely Chehalis Western trail today. I just want to see how I do wearing my hiking sandals with the toe hanging out and not squished into a shoe. I won't be able to stop on the trail for every little ache and pain, so I want to see how I do.

Good on you! With 3 weeks to go you'd be in taper mode anyway. Excellent advice here - icing and elevation for the first 48 hours. Pressure and blood release with the old hot needle should have alleviated some of the pain.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Arnica,
Just wanted to let you know that I walked almost half of my CF in my Birkensaw (spelling??) sandals, due to toe problems, lost 9 nails while walking, not painful, but my toes could not be squeeze in my boots. So I think you will be able to manage in your sandals. I am now shopping for new boots for my CP in the Fall, looking for narrow boots, any advice??

Hey, Joodle. How's your toe injury? Almost time to go, right?

I found something that really saved my toes. You can get them on the Camino too. They are sleeves you cut to fit your toe and they have a gel like surface inside. really cushions the toe.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey, Joodle. How's your toe injury? Almost time to go, right?
It's much better, Thank you for asking. It's still a little sore under the nail, but the nail has survived. I leave this coming Tuesday. I see that I will be starting out in rain, according to the weather forecast. I hope I don't have to do all the work of climbing the napoleon route without getting to see the views because of fog and clouds.

I found something that really saved my toes. You can get them on the Camino too. They are sleeves you cut to fit your toe and they have a gel like surface inside. really cushions the toe.
Thanks. I went to a dance studio store and picked up two gel foot caps. It covers the whole end of foot over toes. I will put them on when starting my descent into Roncesvalles. That should prevent the sore toes. My friend is a hiker and she told me about them.

It's much better, Thank you for asking. It's still a little sore under the nail, but the nail has survived. I leave this coming Tuesday. I see that I will be starting out in rain, according to the weather forecast. I hope I don't have to do all the work of climbing the napoleon route without getting to see the views because of fog and clouds.
Buen Camino. I fly out on the 25th. Keep us posted when you can and I hope it fills your heart with joy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Buen Camino. I fly out on the 25th. Keep us posted when you can and I hope it fills your heart with joy.
I will need to find my joy within, if the weather is bad. I have decided to bring my umbrella. I have packed lightly, so this will be my big extravagance. I live in Washington state, so I am used to the rain. I may change my mind on my footwear and bring my Keen Water proof boots. They are well broken in. I was planning on Salomon trail runners, but that start will be a big muddy mess from the rain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.