• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snack Bars made of Oats

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, when I walked the C2C across England I could buy snack bars made of oats. Not sure of the correct name for them. I can’t buy them in my country, nor on the camino in Spain. They were really yummy and filling. I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help! Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Maybe you are thinking of Flapjacks? They are very popular amongst hikers and walkers in Scotland and England. I have seen recipes for Flapjacks but not made them myself. I ate a lot of Flapjacks hiking in Scotland but I would buy them in supermarkets.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi, when I walked the C2C across England I could buy snack bars made of oats. Not sure of the correct name for them. I can’t buy them in my country, nor on the camino in Spain. They were really yummy and filling. I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help! Jill
A recipe for flapjacks...I hope this helps.

Hi, assuming that you are in South Africa you should be able to get Nature Valley Crunchy bars. They are very popular and widely available in the UK. They come in a variety of mixes. Try this link. https://www.zupermar.com/ZA/Johannesburg/421583917959121/Nature-Valley

View attachment 97057

Check! Found on the Dia website.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, assuming that you are in South Africa you should be able to get Nature Valley Crunchy bars.
Thank you! Yes, we can buy those here very easily, but they are nothing at all like the bars I bought on the C2C.

Check! Found the on the Dia website.

Nature Valley bars are small and crunchy and very very dry.

The C2C bars are big and soft and moist.

🙃

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Oh gosh I did not read your OP correctly! Sorry my mistake. England not Spain!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think you may have been eating these?

61YMrJWQw8L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

If so, they look good but are over 24% sugar. I think that if you made some oat flapjacks (with less sugar!) you would have what you want at a fraction of the price. Any flapjack recipe would do, just use oats. (and post me some ;)).

Agree with BB ... they were most likely Flapjacks.

This afternoon I made some oat ‘bars’:

2 mashed, ripe bananas
1 cup of sprouted oats
1 tsp chia seeds
2 tbsp ground almonds (heaped because love them)
Tsp ground cinnamon

Mash bananas until creamy.
Add the rest.
Put spoonfuls (tbsp) on a baking tray (lined with baking parchment/greaseproof paper ... shape into bars.
Bake 15 mins @ 175C (fan oven), or until going golden brown.
(Makes about 7-8.)

Definitely not flapjacks but still very sweet ... and very filling 🤗
... and very quick to make ...
... and natural sugars only .. 😉

EDIT:
Add more ripe banana if you want them more moist ... or sweeter.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sugar, natural sugars, fruit sugars, honey, sweet fruit .. they are all sugar, all identical - the body only sees sugar.
Sugar is lovely, sure!
But what happens in the body is that you get a low sugar level on a hike so have a sugar bar (sold as 'trek' bars) and this raises the blood sugar level and you get a great satisfying surge - but twenty minutes later your blood sugar drops to lower than it was before you had the bar, as your body has released vast amounts of insulin to remove it .. so you have another sugar bar and again and again etc ...
So the trick is to go for slow burn - no sugar, rather than fast burn.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Sugar, natural sugars, fruit sugars, honey, sweet fruit .. they are all sugar, all identical - the body only sees sugar.
Sugar is lovely, sure!
But what happens in the body is that you get a low sugar level on a hike so have a sugar bar (sold as 'trek' bars) and this raises the blood sugar level and you get a great satisfying surge - but twenty minutes later your blood sugar drops to lower than it was before you had the bar, as your body has released vast amounts of insulin to remove it .. so you have another sugar bar and again and again etc ... eventually your insulin release ability wears out and Hey Presto! Diabetes type 2.

So the trick is to go for slow burn - no sugar, rather than fast burn.

Yup .. well aware of that ...
but my bars were a good way to use up bananas that had ripened ..and there is enough fibre in them (the bars) to help offset the sugars.
Cinnamon has a sweet taste without the sugar ...
I eat green bananas normally but, even in the cold, they insist on ripening 🙄

I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help! Jill
Here's a recipe from my friends at Brownble. Enjoy!

Attachments

• Oat_coconut_cranberry_bars.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 78
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jill
If you just want to make them at home - just go for biscuits (or cookies ).
the recipe for Scottish flapjacks (I hadn’t heard of those before ) looks similar to our ANZAC biscuits (link under). So named as they are traditionally made here for Anzac Day 25 April.
(Australia & New Zealand Army Corps)
Due to the ingredients they keep well and tins of them were sent to the soldiers serving overseas from home.

I love them !!

Jill
the recipe for Scottish flapjacks (I hadn’t heard of those before ) looks similar to our ANZAC biscuits (link under). So named as they are traditionally made here for Anzac Day 25 April.
Due to the ingredients they keep well and tins of them were sent to the soldiers serving overseas from home.

I love them !!

Anzacs are the biscuits that I make for my beloved ... he loves them 😉 (not that I make them very often).
Our Kiwi neighbour reminded us about them years ago, when she brought some round to share.
Less ‘fatty’ than flapjacks, but no less sweet!!

Bristle boys recipe for sure.
Personally I reduce the sugar and add peanut butter, and sometimes add some 80% dark chocolate chunks. That recipe is the basis, from which you can add all sorts of favourite things. (raisins, sultanas, figs, prunes dates etc)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Jill

I love them !!
I checked a few of these recipes out and see that most are almost identical to my mother's oatmeal cookie recipe that I grew up on. They were good sized, flat, and the texture was a combination of both crunchy and soft. Little did I know of their history in providing care packages to soldiers in war.

EDIT...Jimmy, I'll take the chocolate chunks added every time and leave the dried fruits to someone else, with the exception of apricots...yum.

Hi - if you're lucky enough to be in Scotland, albeit I'm pretty sure they retail across the whole UK, Stoats Porridge Bars are what you should look out for.

Very popular with walkers on the West Highland Way etc and certainly give you a real boost and a spring in your step!

My current faves are Blueberry & Honey and Apple & Cinnamon - see - https://www.eatstoats.com/oat-bars

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You almost certainly had British flapjack. I use a recipe similar to Bristle boy. Mine comes from a 1952 cook book the only difference is the quantities 4 0z Margarine (better with butter but not so easy to get in 1952), 1 oz sugar, 2 tablespoons golden syrup, 8 oz rolled oats & 1/4 teaspoon salt. The taste is slightly different to the bought ones as there are no preservatives.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
You can definitely buy muesli-type bars in most supermarkets on the camino...not as good as those here in the UK but they are there.

Since you were on the C2C, I too believe you were eating flapjacks, the British variety. Somewhere between Danby Wiske and Osmotherley, you pass the self-serve flapjack stand - I think it was called Diane's. They were a delightful treat for the hike in the day's afternoon rain.

Just for you Jill...a little video showing the making of flapjacks...not that I think you will need it.
I'm sure this is what you seek. Enjoy.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know this Is not the original question,but related. Can you buy oats, whole oats, that one would use for granola bars in the supermercados in Spain?
Yes, oats and flakes from other grains (e.g., spelt, barley, rye, etc.) can be easily purchased in Spain. Here in the city (in Barcelona) a range of flakes can be found at health food stores and in bulk/granel shops, often organically grown. In smaller places you might be limited to just oats which can be found in most supermarkets.

Got this from a nationwide daily.

The main ingredient is (rolled) oats.

Enjoy and kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (be strong, patient and confident)

Attachments

• snack - Muesli Bars - makes 12-15 - Stuff.co.nz on 2021 03 04 @ 09h11.pdf
    149 KB · Views: 14
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What is Churchill rumoured to have said? "Americans and British are one people separated by a common language."

Here in North America, a flapjack is generally understood to be a pancake. When I google "flapjack definition", that's what comes up.

On the other hand, a snack bar made with oats we generally call a granola bar in my neck of the woods.

Here in North America, a flapjack is generally understood to be a pancake. When I google "flapjack definition", that's what comes up.

On the other hand, a snack bar made with oats we generally call a granola bar in my neck of the woods.
Ditto! I am south of you, but in your neck of the woods.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you all so much for your replies.

“Flapjacks” here are doughy pancake things, nothing like the C2C bars, so I wasn’t sure I remembered the name correctly.

I really wish we could buy the British version here, as I am the world’s worst cook, but I will give it a go.

Commercial “muesli bars” are not the same thing, and nothing like the C2C bars, which all seemed to be local home-produced small business varieties, as each town we walked into had different ones on sale.

They were great – worth walking the C2C for!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

“Flapjacks” here are doughy pancake things, nothing like the C2C bars, so I wasn’t sure I remembered the name correctly.

I really wish we could buy the British version here, as I am the world’s worst cook, but I will give it a go.

Commercial “muesli bars” are not the same thing, and nothing like the C2C bars, which all seemed to be local home-produced small business varieties, as each town we walked into had different ones on sale.

jsalt
Flapjacks are the easiest thing to make. Give it a go you will surprise yourself

I agree with @muddy-mama ....go on Jill...they are easy and you can add a few chocolate chips to give you a little bit more gooey loveliness. A great addition for an energy boost as well.

We make these weekly. They aren't sweet enough to call them cookies, but we call them cookies. They are fairly dry, require chewing. They can be eaten raw or baked at 350 deg F for 15 minutes. We store them in the fridge. 3 'cookies' are one serving of oats and one of fruit.
4 cups of oatmeal (rolled oats are steamed, so these are cooked)
1 cup squash or sweet potatoes, cooked
1 banana
1 cup fruit puree (apple, grape, date, plum)
Mix all this in a food processor until it adheres together.
Add 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dried apricots or other dried fruit.
Turn on the food processor for another minute.
Make into balls, flatten, bake.
We eat wfpb'ed, we add ground flax and chia, 1/2 cup, so that it can replace breakfast if we run short on time or we just want a healthy snack.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We eat wfpb'ed, we add ground flax and chia, 1/2 cup, so that it can replace breakfast if we run short on time or we just want a healthy snack.
Your mention of replacing breakfast reminds me of a packet of biscuits which I bought in a small shop somewhere in Spain (on the VdlP?). They were large and soft and could be eaten as a snack or for a trail lunch, if spread with peanut butter., or broken up and softened with milk (or hot water, in a pinch) to make a breakfast porridge. They were not nearly as tasty as all the recipes given here promise to be, but extremely flexible when on pilgrimage. I shall look for something similar when I am walking the Levante, hopefully, this fall.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I enjoyed the video, too, and the music was delightful as well. I may just give those UK flapjacks a try. 🙂
I made the flapjacks yesterday and loved them! I used Bristle Boy's recipe, easy peasy. I added Sultans to mine. I did have to substitute the golden syrup with half molasses and half honey, but it didn't compromise the flavor...yum! 😋
IMG_20210409_122117697.jpg

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Great idea, Steve!
What stage of ripeness produces the best results in drying them?
I would say before the peel get brown spots (over ripe).
It’s easier to cut and turn them over when the banana is not soft and ripe.
The slices can get slimy ;-) and slightly difficult to spread out before you put them in the oven.
I usually turn them over after a while.
Remember, the moist needs to disappear in the banana and from the oven so you might have to open the oven door a little bit.

I would say before the peel get brown spots (over ripe).
It’s easier to cut and turn them over when the banana is not soft and ripe.
The slices can get slimy ;-) and slightly difficult to spread out before you put them in the oven.
I usually turn them over after a while.
Remember, the moist needs to disappear in the banana and from the oven so you might have to open the oven door a little bit.
And to keep the topic on track can be used in flapjacks, same as any dried fruit, nuts and seeds. But fruit is clearly a sign of problem parenting, why bother when chocolate has all the trace elements required in a diet.😁

€46,-
Hi, when I walked the C2C across England I could buy snack bars made of oats. Not sure of the correct name for them. I can’t buy them in my country, nor on the camino in Spain. They were really yummy and filling. I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help!

P

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We make these weekly. They aren't sweet enough to call them cookies, but we call them cookies. They are fairly dry, require chewing. They can be eaten raw or baked at 350 deg F for 15 minutes. We store them in the fridge. 3 'cookies' are one serving of oats and one of fruit.
4 cups of oatmeal (rolled oats are steamed, so these are cooked)
1 cup squash or sweet potatoes, cooked
1 banana
1 cup fruit puree (apple, grape, date, plum)
Mix all this in a food processor until it adheres together.
Add 1/2 cup raisins or chopped dried apricots or other dried fruit.
Turn on the food processor for another minute.
Make into balls, flatten, bake.
wfpb'ed - please, translate

€46,-
WFPB = Whole-Foods Plant-Based

SUMMARY
When following a WFPB diet, highly processed foods should be avoided and animal products minimized.

I’m frequently amazed by the quantity of highly processed foods that seem to comprise the average vegan diet 😳

Sorry, off topic, but what @chinacat says is amply demonstrated by an article I saw yesterday.
I’m frequently amazed by the quantity of highly processed foods that seem to comprise the average vegan diet

I'll take flapjacks any day. They are very easy to make, and vastly better quality than any manufactured muesli bar. Nature's Valley ones are all sugar and popped rice. No, thank you.

I know this Is not the original question,but related. Can you buy oats, whole oats, that one would use for granola bars in the supermercados in Spain?
Yes - I found rolled oats in the supermercado - it was possible to have porridge and honey every day for breakfast during my 2 weeks as hospitalera in Nájera

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
wfpb'ed - please, translate
I found it: whole food plant based. It was in an article I have just read. Sorry I closed it so can’t quote, but probably referred to somewhere above in this thread
Here it is, posted by @Raggy

Google says that peanut butter can be bought in Mercadona stores. I might also try to take a small container with me.
Peanut butter is freely available in Spain but it is very heavy to carry. I have taken peanut butter powder on camino. It is useful for adding flavour if cooking supper and can be reconstituted with water for spreading on bread.

It's my understanding that peanut butter is hard to find in Spain.
I never had a problem finding crema de cacahuetes (aka peanut butter) in the supermercados.

A question from a US resident: what is “golden syrup”? I saw someone posted substituting molasses and honey, but what is the British original?

A question from a US resident: what is “golden syrup”? I saw someone posted substituting molasses and honey, but what is the British original?
I haven't tried it, but here's a recipe for homemade golden syrup

Here is a short video on how to make golden syrup if you cannot buy it in your country.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Jordan’s make good muesli bars ...

1618414604424.jpeg

Personally, I prefer protein bars and I get them in Decathlon stores. The advantage is that they are less sweet, more sustaining and in addition available in Spanish Decathlon’s and Decathlon City mini stores (ie Caceres and Santiago for instance).

With regards to Golden Syrup, I guess the US equivalent might be corn syrup. Golden Syrup is made by the large UK sugar refiner Tate and Lyle.

Here is a short video on how to make golden syrup if you cannot buy it in your country.

i‘ve just looked up ‘where to buy golden syrup’ and I see that it‘s still available in the can with the picture of the dead lion with flies buzzing around it. My father always told us - as very young children - that golden syrup was made from dead lions. Now I know different. 😎🤣

Takes me back to boarding school in Jersey in the 50’s....

I believe that the lions are technically not dead but ‘couchant’ (a heraldic term).

I date my tooth fillings to that period unfortunately!

i‘ve just looked up ‘where to buy golden syrup’ and I see that it‘s still available in the can with the picture of the dead lion with flies buzzing around it. My father always told us - as very young children - that golden syrup was made from dead lions. Now I know different. 😎🤣
You poor thing....we have Birds Custard here in the UK. I am pleased to report no feathered friends are harmed in the production.

A question from a US resident: what is “goldengoldensgyrupis syrup”? I saw someone posted substituting molasses and honey, but what is the British original?
Golden syrup is NOT corn syrup, it is a light coloured sugar cane/beet syrup. Molasses is a darker, less refined cane syrup. Use of molasses is OK. Using it mixed with honey is OK, honey on its own is OK. Just don't add the concentrated refined sugar like you find in nearly all the commercial snackbar type things.

My mate eats his flapjacks with a chunk of cheddar. Now that is long lasting energy, but also points to a definite misuse of taste buds.😁

Golden syrup is NOT corn syrup, it is a light coloured sugar cane/beet syrup. Molasses is a darker, less refined cane syrup. Use of molasses is OK. Using it mixed with honey is OK, honey on its own is OK. Just don't add the concentrated refined sugar like you find in nearly all the commercial snackbar type things.

My mate eats his flapjacks with a chunk of cheddar. Now that is long lasting energy, but also points to a definite misuse of taste buds.😁
That explains how golden syrup is compared to molasses or honey. How does it compare to maple syrup (which is the type of sweet syrup we see most often in my neck of the woods)?

For those not familiar with it, maple syrup is made by taking the sap of the sugar maple tree (which is anywhere up to 5% sugar) and boiling it and boiling it and boiling it until you have a syrup consistency and a nice golden to brown colour. It is what we eat with our flapjacks.

That explains how golden syrup is compared to molasses or honey. How does it compare to maple syrup (which is the type of sweet syrup we see most often in my neck of the woods)?

For those not familiar with it, maple syrup is made by taking the sap of the sugar maple tree (which is anywhere up to 5% sugar) and boiling it and boiling it and boiling it until you have a syrup consistency and a nice golden to brown colour. It is what we eat with our flapjacks.
I'm sure flapjacks wiuld taste good with maple syrup, but they would probably taste "mapley"...not a bad thing.
My use of half molasses and half honey had no special standout flavor...just a big dose of simple goodness.🙂

David, The point is UK cottage industry style flapjacks are not swimming in overbearing sweetness, I suppose the correct amount of maple syrup may be used, but why would you when you have golden syrup or honey. Also I'm not sure how maple syrup would react with the chocolate chunks I personally need to make anything so full of healthy oats, seeds, nuts etc, actually edible. 😊
I'm looking forward to the day when Heston Blumenthal devises a fish, chip, Mushy Pea, gravy and chocolate energy bar. (For those across the watter, chip=fries)

David, The point is UK cottage industry style flapjacks are not swimming in overbearing sweetness, I suppose the correct amount of maple syrup may be used, but why would you when you have golden syrup or honey. Also I'm not sure how maple syrup would react with the chocolate chunks I personally need to make anything so full of healthy oats, seeds, nuts etc, actually edible. 😊
I'm looking forward to the day when Heston Blumenthal devises a fish, chip, Mushy Pea, gravy and chocolate energy bar. (For those across the watter, chip=fries)
I should have added a smiley. In my neck of the woods (or side of the ocean), "flapjacks" are pancakes. And pancakes here are commonly eaten with maple syrup (Canada producing 85% of the world's maple syrup according to trusty Google).

My mother’s flapjack recipe had applesauce as the sweetener. Sometimes she would add a little honey, but usually just applesauce. It was homemade applesauce too. Oh, the good old days!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Oh, I almost forgot...the absolutely best "stick to your ribs" hiking/trail food snack from my experience and fills you up for the longest amount of time are "Cliff Bars". They are extremely dense and readily available at Costco, Walmart, Amazon, and a variety of other stores.
Screenshot_20210414-211241~2.png

Last edited:
I should have added a smiley. In my neck of the woods (or side of the ocean), "flapjacks" are pancakes. And pancakes here are commonly eaten with maple syrup (Canada producing 85% of the world's maple syrup according to trusty Google).

The word ‘flapjack’ has always meant two entirely different things to me.

When ‘Wimpy Bars’ were still extant in the UK, they used to have Flapjacks on their menu.
This dish was Scotch (!) pancakes, with maple syrup and cream (dairy, not artificial).

I was going to mention this days ago but assumed someone else would probably post it ... 😉
But no-one has ...am I really the only one who remembers these???
It was my first taste of maple syrup ... 😋

The other was the tray bake that we’ve all been discussing at length and that was always a popular easy option for school bake sales 😉

M&S, and many other supermarkets I guess, still sell the pancakes (about 3” in diameter) ... so it’s still possible to reproduce ”Flapjacks” at home 😉🤗

The word ‘flapjack’ has always meant two entirely different things to me.

When ‘Wimpy Bars’ were still extant in the UK, they used to have Flapjacks on their menu.
This dish was Scotch (!) pancakes, with maple syrup and cream (dairy, not artificial).

I was going to mention this days ago but assumed someone else would probably post it ... 😉
But no-one has ...am I really the only one who remembers these???
It was my first taste of maple syrup ... 😋

The other was the tray bake that we’ve all been discussing at length and that was always a popular easy option for school bake sales 😉

M&S, and many other supermarkets I guess, still sell the pancakes (about 3” in diameter) ... so it’s still possible to reproduce ”Flapjacks” at home 😉🤗
Those sound very good right now! Real maple syrup. Mmmmm...

€46,-
That image on the can is definitely remarkable!
I could see my father saying the same about “dead lions!” 😁 I probably would have refused to eat it if I’d heard that. I’ve never noticed the picture on the can before with the flies. What an odd thing to put on there! Now I’m very glad to know my mother used applesauce and honey instead of dead lions. Ha! (She was actually just doing that to make it more healthy. I don’t think her many children needed ANY more sugar!) 😁

That image on the can is definitely remarkable!

I could see my father saying the same about “dead lions!” 😁 I probably would have refused to eat it if I’d heard that. I’ve never noticed the picture on the can before with the flies. What an odd thing to put on there! Now I’m very glad to know my mother used applesauce and honey instead of dead lions. Ha! (She was actually just doing that to make it more healthy. I don’t think her many children needed ANY more sugar!) 😁
Apparently they are bees and the image an adaptation from a biblical story.

Nope...the large, solid, hold in your hand, bite off a piece and chew pepperoni. The local Italian grocer in my neighborhood in Chicago sent me two sticks every week I was deployed overseas. I was very popular.
I was jesting.🙂 I assumed you purchased the little pre-sliced packages of pepperoni type lunchmeat sold all along the Camino. I always used them with cheese and olives on my bocadillas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To much salt for me nowadays which is sad because I love chorizo which is as equivalent as you want to make it. Nothing nicer than a soggy oil drizzled bread, chorizo, tomato and manchego sarnie. Mmm, yummmmm.

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hello, We are planning to hike the Camino with our young children in September. We aren't tied to a specific route, but we only have 10 days to walk and our kids can only do ~10 miles per day...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back