• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snack Bars made of Oats

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, when I walked the C2C across England I could buy snack bars made of oats. Not sure of the correct name for them. I can’t buy them in my country, nor on the camino in Spain. They were really yummy and filling. I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help! Jill
Look what just entered my newsfeed 😅

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Oh! I think that the “oat bars” sold in Starbucks are these kinds of “flapjacks” — very dense, very oat-y, and held together with a sort of sweet goo that you can only see when you pull it apart. I haven’t had one in a few years now... But those who enjoy the treats in England might find that, at least in the N. Am. S-bux, the oat bar amounts to the same thing.
I have no idea if they are sold overseas — not that I’ve seen a lot of Starbucks in Europe (thankfully).
But worth a try... and maybe there is a recipe on the web for them. I find them too sweet in general, but they are good at carrying one for a while, preventing that coffee from just running through...

Hi, when I walked the C2C across England I could buy snack bars made of oats. Not sure of the correct name for them. I can’t buy them in my country, nor on the camino in Spain. They were really yummy and filling. I’d like to try and make my own, but I need help with a tried and tested recipe. Any recommendations? I could google it, but it might be a bit hit and miss. Thanks for any help! Jill

I checked for recipes based on my perception that these would be similar to the Starbucks oat bars and I found this (amone many others):

Oh! I think that the “oat bars” sold in Starbucks are these kinds of “flapjacks” — very dense, very oat-y, and held together with a sort of sweet goo that you can only see when you pull it apart. I haven’t had one in a few years now... But those who enjoy the treats in England might find that, at least in the N. Am. S-bux, the oat bar amounts to the same thing.
I wonder if those are just in Canadian Starbucks. I haven't seen them here in the Oregon Starbucks.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have no idea if they are sold overseas — not that I’ve seen a lot of Starbucks in Europe (thankfully).
But worth a try... and maybe there is a recipe on the web for them. I find them too sweet in general, but they are good at carrying one for a while, preventing that coffee from just running through...
Earlier in this thread both Bristle boy and myself posted recipes for English/British flapjack

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In general, I don’t go to Starbucks either, but I was sad when the one near my son closed due to COV. The staff there treated him kindly, and when I would ask for a “decaf” for him they never marked it as such. He is autistic. Finding people who are kind to him in banal settings is difficult. The oat bar used to be my choice for long hikes because — like I said: small but does a good job of slowing down the coffee, and provided energy.

And so I posted another recipe? So? People are free to try it or not, but surely there are many Canadians on the forum who would not know what this oat thing might be and I found something I think, on reading the thread, is similar.

I was aiming to be helpful And do not see how my post could be construed as anything other than that.

Maybe follow-ups were not intended as such, but they read like unnecessary, cranky criticisms.... of an oat bar recipe.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
In general, I don’t go to Starbucks either, but I was sad when the one near my son closed due to COV. The staff there treated him kindly, and when I would ask for a “decaf” for him they never marked it as such. He is autistic. Finding people who are kind to him in banal settings is difficult. The oat bar used to be my choice for long hikes because — like I said: small but does a good job of slowing down the coffee, and provided energy.

And so I posted another recipe? So? People are free to try it or not, but surely there are many Canadians on the forum who would not know what this oat thing might be and I found something I think, on reading the thread, is similar.

I was aiming to be helpful And do not see how my post could be construed as anything other than that.

Maybe follow-ups were not intended as such, but they read like unnecessary, cranky criticisms.... of an oat bar recipe.
I am sorry you saw the replies as criticism of your oat bar they were not meant to be. I just wanted to inform yourself and others of the original recipes

I also had these snacks when I walked the Cleveland Way in 2019. The are called flapjacks. Great hiking snack. Nothing like them in US.

Lots of 2-4 ingredient ways to make oat cake type bars on utube... you blend oats in blender and make flour.. or you don't have to make flour.. you can even make them in the hostels if they have a kitchen...most times you do not need an oven....

Perhaps you are looking for a "Logan Bread." This version is from an elderly Scottish woman that emigrated to the USA.

Preheat 350F
Mix:
3 Cups whole wheat flour
3 Cups steel cut oats
.75 Cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
.25 teaspoon nutmeg
.25 teaspoon cinnamon
Optional: walnuts (I only add walnuts when I make them for a specific trip, otherwise they are too tasty and I eat them too much.)

Mix in:
1 Cup olive oil (her original version was a cup of butter)
1 Cup milk
Pour into greased 9" x 13" baking dish
Press flat with wet hands or a silicon spatula
Bake 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean

I cut it into snack sized pieces, let it cool, bag them into individual zip type baggies, and store in my freezer. I either eat them like a granola bar or submerge a piece in a bowl of milk and warm it in the microwave.

These have been a staple for me for many years.
Good luck in your quest.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back