• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snakes alive!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That is very unusual. The large number of walkers on the Frances usually scares them away and they are not seen all that often. Has it been especially cold? If so they can be slow to get warmed up in the morning and very sluggish. I came across a Viperine Snake on the Via de la Plata on a wet and windy morning which was so cold that it did not move at all until I poked it very gently with a pole to move it off the path for its own safety.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was on the CF last year and saw a snake...attaching photo. Not sure what kind of snake it was and we are used to snakes in California (rattlers, golfer, etc). We thought it was an interesting one; silver in color.

Attachments

• IMG_9114 (2).JPG
    IMG_9114 (2).JPG
    651.5 KB · Views: 194
Hi fellow pilgrims, just walking the route from SJPP where we have seen a few small and larger snakes on the route.. As it’s early they are just starting to wake up so please just be aware and observant when you are walking or resting! Buen Camino
I've seen a snake near Larrasoana on the CF last year.

I was on the CF last year and saw a snake...attaching photo. Not sure what kind of snake it was and we are used to snakes in California (rattlers, golfer, etc). We thought it was an interesting one; silver in color.
That is not a snake though it does look very like one. It is a slow worm - actually a type of legless lizard. I have quite a big colony of them in my garden. Beautiful copper and bronze colours. Completely harmless. I'm very glad to have them here.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have walked more than 11 caminos and have never seen a live snake. I have seen several small dead snakes on roads in Portugal and my walking partner saw one in Italy...but they sure can't be very common.
I am very interested in snakes and lizards and keep my eyes peeled for them as I walk. I have seen very few along the Caminos over the years. They will be there but they usually have the good sense to keep well out of sight :)

Highly, highly unlikely that a pilgrim will have a negative encounter with a snake on the Camino. In fact, to see a live one is a rarity and actually a treat. Same goes with any of the Camino wildlife.
Snakes, venomous and non-venomous, do not simply attack humans for no reason.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi fellow pilgrims, just walking the route from SJPP where we have seen a few small and larger snakes on the route.. As it’s early they are just starting to wake up so please just be aware and observant when you are walking or resting! Buen Camino
Just in case you want to look out for them.. here’s one a friend saw earlier!

Attachments

• 31374E51-48F5-491F-A098-A73258EC6DED.jpeg
    31374E51-48F5-491F-A098-A73258EC6DED.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 162
That is not a snake though it does look very like one. It is a slow worm - actually a type of legless lizard. I have quite a big colony of them in my garden. Beautiful copper and bronze colours. Completely harmless. I'm very glad to have them here.
Very interesting. I've never heard of those and I thought it was unusual looking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Fairly harmless. But then I live in South Africa which has plenty of non-harmless snakes.
Compared to your South African species the Spanish ones are very modest. Even the 3 venomous viper species present little risk to humans though a bite from one should always be treated as a medical emergency.

Hmmm...I could be wrong, but based on the body and shape of the head that does appear to be a venomous species to me, a viper of sorts. Give those wide berth, but still highly unlikely to be a threat to pilgrims.
A little research shows it may be a "Latastes Viper".
Latastes viper.jpg

Last edited:
That looks like one of the vipers. I'd be interested to know where the photo was taken. If it was in the section between SJPDP and anywhere around Burgos it was quite likely an Asp viper (Vipera aspis) which has the most potent venom of the three Spanish species. Considerably more toxic than our British adder which is closely related but bites rarely cause serious long-term injury if treated promptly. The Spanish viper species all look quite similar and are all venomous. Well worth keeping your distance from it. A bite from one would definitely spoil your day, more likely your whole week, and potentially more.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It's a viper of some sort - there are (I think? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...) three species of vipers in Spain, all venomous. Thanks for posting the photo, @Colly! Lovely.
Spanish snakes are not like some Aussie ones, though - unless you step on them or bother them, they won't be aggressive. So leave them alone and they will leave you alone.
Edit. Yes, indeed, @Bradypus, looks like it - here and here is some more information.

Last edited:
One of these not-so-little devils crossed my path above Ponferrada, 2016. It was brightly coloured - orange, yellow, green, so a very young specimen. You do not want a bite from Scolopendra Cingulata! It was about the length of my index finger and scurying across a narrow mountian footpath. Normally, they are noted in the south, but this specimen is fairly north of their usual habitats - global warming wandering? Never sleep outdoors and shake out your boots before you put them on ;-) Although, I haven't heard of anyone else seeing them or being bitten on Camino - have you? Love Light & Nature (even the nasty little beasties), Keith

Attachments

• Scolopendra cingulata.jpg
    Scolopendra cingulata.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 28
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No - I didn't even know this genus is found in Europe.
Monks here do protective chants against these guys (and snakes too) - basically saying, "We love you guys but stay away, OK?" Asian Scolopendra can be huge. When I was a grad student, a guy in my department had one he kept as a pet, and one look gave me nightmares.

In all my Spanish walks the snake I have most wanted to see is the Montpellier snake - known in Spanish by the delightful name of culebra bastarda. They grow to quite a chunky size and are mildly venomous but are of no danger to humans because their fangs are at the back of their mouths and so it is extremely difficult for them to envenomate a human. Feisty things. I think I saw the last foot or so of one vanishing into a bush once, but it might have been a very big ladder snake. A Youtube video gives a good idea of the size of one!

No - I didn't even know this genus is found in Europe.
Monks here do protective chants against these guys (and snakes too) - basically saying, "We love you guys but stay away, OK?" Asian Scolopendra can be huge. When I was a grad student, a guy in my department had one he kept as a pet, and one look gave me nightmares.
I stayed in a bungalow down in south Thailand many years ago, at Kata beach. Those big Asian centipedes were numerous and I saw several everyday around the bungalow in the garden area. I always checked my bungalow room at night before I went to sleep to make sure none decided to make residence inside. That would be a nasty shock to step on one in the dark.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I think that you photographed a blindworm, also called slowworm (Anguis fragilis). Weirdly enough it is not a snake, but a legless lizard. You saw a young one, they can be silver-colored. When fully grown (about 45 cm long) they tend to be brown, the same as a hazelnut (that's why we call them hazelworms in the Netherlands), but with a metallic sheen.

EDIT: Woops, @Bradypus beat me to it...

I stayed in a bungalow down in south Thailand many years ago, at Kata beach. Those big Asian centipedes were numerous and I saw several everyday around the bungalow in the garden area.
A few years ago my daughter phoned me from Thailand and said she had just seen a pretty big snake pass by the steps of the cabin she was staying in. Just after sunset but still enough light to see. From her description I was about 95% certain that it was a krait. She was pretty cautious when stepping outside in the dark after that.

That would be a nasty shock to step on one in the dark.
They're even more fun when they decide to hang out under your pillow.:eek:
From her description I was about 95% certain that it was a krait.
Kraits are gorgeous, but not a snake I'd want to step on by accident...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This photo was taken on the Kumano Kodo in Japan about a month ago. The animal I had most wanted to see on my pilgrimage there - at a safe distance. A mamushi (Japanese pit viper). Responsible for around 2000 bites each year in Japan and about 10 deaths. The usual result of a bite is about a week in hospital. That's why I didn't go for a close-up :) IMG_20180328_133253.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

thats not a snake, that is a lizard without legs. im not sure what they are called in english but those are common all over europe. their tail can break off and grow back, im serious ;-)

Saw my first snake in the allotments outside Logrono about three weeks ago. A large bird swooped down and when it took off again, it had a snake dangling from its beak.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

That looks like the common European Adder which is venimous! Not usually fatal but painful!

Here's a snake that a friend saw between Samos and Barbadelo. We were told it was a Seoane's viper.

Attachments

• seoane's viper.jpg
    seoane's viper.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 37
Never saw one while on the CF. Looking forward to the CP. Now, I did see one cascabelito a couple of weeks ago during my training walk a few kilometers from my home, the area is well-marked and we maintain our distance (photo of warning sign below, walk here at your own risk). Good luck, y no pares de caminar.

Cascabelitos!.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Saw my first snake in the allotments outside Logrono about three weeks ago. A large bird swooped down and when it took off again, it had a snake dangling from its beak.
Ooooo! Lucky you.
And is it a good year for vipers, or what?

Cycling the Portuguese we heard what we thought was a leaking water pipe - hissing... Stopped to fill water bottle and saw it was a huge browny-grey snake curled up in the bank - just our height! we pedalled off pretty quick!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cycling the Portuguese we heard what we thought was a leaking water pipe - hissing... Stopped to fill water bottle and saw it was a huge browny-grey snake curled up in the bank - just our height! we pedalled off pretty quick!

Huge, browny-grey and hissing? Did it look like this one? Sounds like a Montpellier snake to me. Mildly venomous but not a risk to humans as the position of their fangs make biting a human very difficult. They do make impressive defensive displays though and can hiss very loudly. They are also by far the biggest snakes in Portugal, Spain and France. I think I spotted the tail end of one once and I would love a closer encounter with one. Though I can understand that not everyone shares my odd taste in wildlife :)

montpellier-snake.jpg

I reckon that's it! I did creep back and take a picture - but then had my camera nicked...!
Big old snake...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Came upon this little guy hitching a lift with a bikegrino up the hill to Zariquiegui in 2015.Bike Snake.jpg

This photo was taken on the Kumano Kodo in Japan about a month ago. The animal I had most wanted to see on my pilgrimage there - at a safe distance. A mamushi (Japanese pit viper). Responsible for around 2000 bites each year in Japan and about 10 deaths. The usual result of a bite is about a week in hospital. That's why I didn't go for a close-up :) View attachment 42091

For us it was the animal we least wanted to see!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For us it was the animal we least wanted to see!
My sighting was ideal. The snake was sunning itself on a paved road and was visible from a long way off. I was very aware of it and it had plenty of warning that I was there too. So neither of us was panicking and there was no reason either of us should get hurt. Stepping on one unawares would be another matter altogether.

My sighting was ideal. The snake was sunning itself on a paved road and was visible from a long way off. I was very aware of it and it had plenty of warning that I was there too. So neither of us was panicking and there was no reason either of us should get hurt. Stepping on one unawares would be another matter altogether.

Absolutely. The only mamushi we saw were road kill so we did get a close look at them. Shame. The only native fauna we saw were some curious racoons

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I saw three juvenile vipers at different locations last June , all along roadsides obviously and all intent on getting away from me .
We should be so lucky here in Australia , here is a pair I spotted on my last bush walk , Eastern brown snakes , making small Eastern browns .20180217_094923.jpg

I was about to enter Estella in early May, 2015 when I saw something wiggling near the left edge of the road. I quickly realized I was observing two snakes doing what birds, bees, and educated fleas do, as their own slithery version of the mattress mambo! They didn't notice me watching nor were they aware that their roadside tryst was being photographed. After a few moments I walked away thinking that perhaps I'd just viewed something that few other pilgrims witness.

Attachments

• P2260350.JPG
    P2260350.JPG
    877 KB · Views: 25
  • P2260351.JPG
    P2260351.JPG
    868.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P2260353.JPG
    P2260353.JPG
    850.3 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have just returned from my first Camino (walking Leon > Santiago) & snakes are my biggest phobia.
Though I did see big lizards and other wildlife, I did not ever see a snake. However snakes most definitely saw me!
More than one crossed directly behind me whilst walking according to another walker. Someone was watching over me I think, had I seen any I’d have jumped in the road!!
I knew they were there but they mostly stay out of the way. I was extra careful when walking in the early morning too.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back