A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Snakes in an albergue - La Quintana

tillyjones

Camino(s) past & future
Frances June 2015
VDLP May 2017
del Norte Sept 2018
Last night, on one of two ventures to the bathroom, there was a snake on the dining room floor. I was alarmed when i saw him, but perhaps more distressed the second time when i didn't see him!

I this morning told the owner, who seemed not to believe me given the head shaking, eye rolling and chuckles

Anyway, unless said snake found his way out on his own, he may well still be in here and a less than welcome visitor to your bunk at night!

Marbe2

Camino(s) past & future
2015 SJPD to Burgos
2017 Leon to Santiago
Pamplona to Santiago Mar. 2018
Burgos - SCDC (Oct 18)
Last night, on one of two ventures to the bathroom, there was a snake on the dining room floor. I was alarmed when i saw him, but perhaps more distressed the second time when i didn't see him!

I this morning told the owner, who seemed not to believe me given the head shaking, eye rolling and chuckles

Anyway, unless said snake found his way out on his own, he may well still be in here and a less than welcome visitor to your bunk at night!
Thank you for taking the time to alert other pilgrims

Camino(s) past & future
1999 Burgos-SDC, 2003 Leon-SDC, 2007-2012 Le Puy-SDC, 2014 Burgos-Covarrubias, Camino Ingles 3 times

Where was this??

Camino(s) past & future
Fall (2017)

Are there any venomous snakes in that part of Spain?

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
There are a half-dozen vipers in Spain.
There are 3 viper species in Spain. They are all venomous and a bite from one should be treated as a medical emergency and treatment sought immediately. However, compared with snakes from many other parts of the world the toxicity of Spanish vipers is relatively low and a bite promptly treated is unlikely to result in lasting long term injury. They are reclusive snakes which avoid conflict with people whenever possible and you are very unlikely to encounter one or be bitten by one.

In addition to the three Vipera species there are two rear-fanged snakes in Spain which are technically venomous but which possess only mild venom and are in practice almost incapable of envenomating a human because of the placement of their fangs. They are interesting animals but not any cause for concern.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2017 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. 2018 ?
I have a video of a small viper that was crossing a track somewhere on the beautiful Mesita. I forget exactly where, but we stayed in an alburgue in a small town and in late afternoon took a dirt track up a rather steep hill to visit an old church.

On the way down, I was walking with a Dutchman and being an Australian that grew up in an area where snakes were common, I have a habit of always watching the ground ahead.
But I wasn't watching carefully enough, when out of the corner of my right eye, I saw something move and I instinctively flung my arm across the Dutchman, stopping him from stepping on or beside it.
He was very thankful, when he realised he almost stood on a snake, I must say!

The snake wasn't in any hurry and it wasn't long before people gathered and before long someone produced a wooden staff wanting to kill it. I refused to allow that to happen, and using my poles I encouraged the snake to leave the path for the safety of the long grass growing beside the path.

Just be aware that there are snakes in Spain (and just about everywhere else except New Zealand) and be aware that snakes move about day and night.

They have a strong role to play in the natural ecosystem and if encountered, outside are best left alone.

If a snake has entered a home, it is best to find someone who knows how properly identify the species and how to remove the snake safely for him or herself and for the snake.

Killing or removing snakes is high risk and is one sure way of increasing the probability that you will be the next snakebite victim.

And please do not worry about snakes. Worry about bedbugs and ticks. I do.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 107 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.6%