• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SNCF STRIKE ???? 2nd May ????

Mahonsk

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances in May 2020
Hi Group. We are in Paris and were hoping to head off to SJPDP tomorrow. But there are no available trains from Paris Montparnasse. Somebody at Gare de Nord seemed to mention that there might be a strike (Greve). Does anybody have ideas for potential alternative travel options, other than waiting it out 🤔. Thanks all.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Malheureusement 😞 Train strikes on Mondays in May in France are commonplace - especially the Monday on or after Labor Day, which is today! They are often known well in advance. Désolée. Hope you can take a flight to Biarritz. 🤞

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Malheureusement 😞 Train strikes on Mondays in May in France are commonplace - especially the Monday on or after Labor Day, which is today! They are often known well in advance. Désolée. Hope you can take a flight to Biarritz. 🤞
Thank you. I’m getting over the anger now. Might just stay in Paris the extra night and try to travel to SJPDP on Tuesda instead. The plan was to have 2 x days there (Mon and tues) and commence walking to Roncesvalles on the Wednesday.

Thank you. I’m getting over the anger now. Might just stay in Paris the extra night and try to travel to SJPDP on Tuesda instead. The plan was to have 2 x days there (Mon and tues) and commence walking to Roncesvalles on the Wednesday.
Ah that’s the spirit. The Chemin often asks us to be adaptable 😎 just starting a bit earlier for you. Best wishes. 🙏

PS. Worse things than another night in Paris. And if you take the early train/s you should arrive in SJPP in plenty of time for a stroll around and do what needs to be done. And then off you go the next morning.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When isn't there a train strike in France? LOL. Sorry - I now it isn't every day - but always the time of year I would be going through Paris I am always hearing about possible or actual Train strikes! Heck - even the last time I was at the Louvre - we were kept in a line outside while they were voting on whether or not to strike! We waited until they decided to let us in which was way after the doors should have opened (yes - I did get to go in haha). So - if you have train plans, always good to think about your backup plans! Flying to Biarritz is always an option. I am sure there are busses to somewhere close to SJPDP.

In 2018, two days after I’d booked my flight, a train strike was announced which perfectly aligned with my travel days. France, very practiced at train strikes, kindly posted their rotating strike schedule for the next several months, with 2 out of every 5 days non-operational. Flew to CDG, bussed to Paris Orly, flew to Biarritz,bussed to Bayonne, stayed overnight, bussed to SJPdP.

It's a weird period, mostly because May 1st was on a Sunday + ordinary May madness + the elections + people grabbing days off between the two bank holidays (1st & 8th) and then fobbing it off as a strike + an unusually indeterminate end of the football (soccer) season.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It's a weird period, mostly because May 1st was on a Sunday + ordinary May madness + the elections + people grabbing days off between the two bank holidays (1st & 8th) and then fobbing it off as a strike + an unusually indeterminate end of the football (soccer) season.
Jabba, I will never forget the help you gave me on my 2018 Le Puy Camino getting back to Paris on the train to make my flight back home to the US. I had to reorganize a few days I'd pre-planned to avoid some snags due to the strikes. 🙏

Jabba, I will never forget the help you gave me on my 2018 Le Puy Camino getting back to Paris on the train to make my flight back home to the US. I had to reorganize a few days I'd pre-planned to avoid some snags due to the strikes. 🙏
It was my absolute pleasure.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back