• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SNCF warning

JabbaPapa

"True Pilgrim"
Time of past OR future Camino
100 characters or fewer : see signature details
A heads up -- those planning to travel to their starting point of the Camino in France by train should be advised that the SNCF has decided to close many ticket counters across the country, for cost-cutting purposes and because they want to try and force people to buy their tickets online, which apparently is leading to massive queues at the counters of the larger stations -- I've seen a report of a two-hour long queue in one of the Paris stations.

And some of these are instituting reservation systems to get yourself an appointment to buy your ticket !!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A heads up -- those planning to travel to their starting point of the Camino in France by train should be advised that the SNCF has decided to close many ticket counters across the country, for cost-cutting purposes and because they want to try and force people to buy their tickets online, which apparently is leading to massive queues at the counters of the larger stations -- I've seen a report of a two-hour long queue in one of the Paris stations.

And some of these are instituting reservation systems to get yourself an appointment to buy your ticket !!

Hmm, seems I was lucky in Montparnasse last time. Only had to queue for 45 minutes.

Have booked online (local mirror of RailEurope website) to travel Montparnasse to Bayonne to SJPP 2017 and 2018 - quick, painless and removed once potential source of anxiety.

Might not have been the cheapest option but would do it again every CF I walk... Queuing kills the joy of travelling for me...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Have booked online (local mirror of RailEurope website) to travel Montparnasse to Bayonne to SJPP 2017 and 2018 - quick, painless and removed once potential source of anxiety.

Might not have been the cheapest option but would do it again every CF I walk... Queuing kills the joy of travelling for me...

Good! But don't forget that during peak moments you have to wait in line anyway to get your ticket scanned, paperversion or the cellphoneversion.

If you buy your ticket on line from SNCF you get a code you can enter at a ticket kiosk, but if you buy your ticket from Trainline you need to download the ticket to your devise, the kiosk can not use the confirmation code from Trainline

Good! But don't forget that during peak moments you have to wait in line anyway to get your ticket scanned, paperversion or the cellphoneversion.

Really? 2017 and 2018, I printed the tickets at home and we just got onto the train and found our seats as soon as the gates opened - no-one checking tickets as we boarded... But maybe 7.30 am isn't peak time?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is it cheaper to buy your ticket online in advance or on the day at the station?

Not my favourite Train operator.........
Last time I turned up.......with a ticket....they went on strike.
So we flew to Biarritz. :(
Might do that in future I think........

Is it cheaper to buy your ticket online in advance or on the day at the station?

I have not done any comparisons, but I have seen posts here that suggest that pre-purchase online is substantially cheaper than over the counter. No doubt the rail company works on the principle that if you wait until the last minute to buy at the station, they already have you at a disadvantage and they can (just about) charge whatever they feel like...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

It varies tremendously -- if your train ends up being very empty at departure, it can be cheaper on the day. But usually it's cheaper mainly if you get your ticket a long time in advance.

Having said that, it's *still* possible to buy a normal ticket without a reservation -- it does mean travelling on certain slower trains only, so no TGVs -- but that pretty basically requires getting your ticket in person at the ticket counter, and they're making it increasingly difficult to get one. Their own computers even fail to provide the SNCF ticket counter staff with the full range of travel possibilities for your projected journey.

And they've recently discontinued the old little paper timetables that were so precious for organising a train journey according to personal taste.

It's still technically possible to get a normal open ticket, then get a TGV reservation separately, but they **really** do hate it when you attempt it. And it would also basically be more expensive anyway.

I wholeheartedly agree with your statement about Queuing spoiling the joy of travel...that is one of the main reasons why I always get to airports much earlier than my flights...fewer crowds and a pretty easy transition through security screening, then a nice relaxing sit down to read my book or to just people watch. I HATE queues with a passion.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another app alternative is OMIO by GoEuro. It allowed us to book a fare in Spain where no train agent nor kiosk existed. It was recommended by an Irish couple we met while walking the C Sanabria last year.

The option is not exactly buying online vs long queues at the station. There are automatic ticket machines, also. Big yellow things, you will see them. They are not particularly complicated, and have almost no queues at all. The only "but" is that you will need the "chip included" kind of credit card. Ah, and you need to know the exact name of your station destination (main cities could have two or more....but anyway, I can't imagine an inspector checking tickets for that). The system is well explained in this blog

The option is not exactly buying online vs long queues at the station. There are automatic ticket machines, also. Big yellow things, you will see them. They are not particularly complicated, and have almost no queues at all. The only "but" is that you will need the "chip included" kind of credit card. Ah, and you need to know the exact name of your station destination (main cities could have two or more....but anyway, I can't imagine an inspector checking tickets for that). The system is well explained in this blog
The last two times I was in France, those machines wouldn't take my North American (chip) credit card.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The last two times I was in France, those machines wouldn't take my North American (chip) credit card.

Online pre-purchase has its advantages...

Last edited by a moderator:

The SNCF’s smartphone app is super easy to use. They have a companion OUI app which you use to actually make your purchase. That’s where your ticket then resides. I’d save yourself the time and just get the apps.

The SNCF’s smartphone app is super easy to use. They have a companion OUI app which you use to actually make your purchase. That’s where your ticket then resides. I’d save yourself the time and just get the apps.

Unlikely to be the case for us Windows Phones Grognards ...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Seasonality may play a part but anecdotally my train from Paris to Bayonne is costing me 55 Euro in September for a first class ticket (it was only 10 Euro more than standard), if I were to make the same journey on the same day this week it would be 199 Euro! I'd book ahead.

Really? 2017 and 2018, I printed the tickets at home and we just got onto the train and found our seats as soon as the gates opened - no-one checking tickets as we boarded... But maybe 7.30 am isn't peak time?
You are right and this is new to me: You don't have to scan tickets like e-billet, Billet Imprimé, Print@Home, Ticketless anymore, you just board the train and take your seat. Apparently, you only have to do this (get a stamp at the machine near or on the platform of your train - a process known as composter) when you have a cardboard ticket bought from an SNCF ticket office or sent to your home address.

I've travelled quite a bit on SNCF trains in not so distant years - long distance, local and regional trains - while getting to a departure point or leaving a point of the long Saint Jacques trails through France, and I was impressed by the punctuality of the trains and the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. I've never been affected by any SNCF strike.

I personally would always purchase a ticket directly from SNCF, preferably online, and not through a third party. In my albeit limited experience, directly purchased tickets are easier to exchange or modify.

Last edited:

I just bought mine on Sunday (Departing Sept. 24th) for 82$ CDN with the 1st class option for the 1st leg of the trip. I was comparing the price online as if I were to leave next week and the price is around 180$ CDN

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That's what's on my phone. Saved me missing my train. Just ran to the train and the conductor scanned my phone before I stepped on. Tried to use the RENFE app but it seems you need to be a citizen of Spain to complete registration.

Tickets are very easy to buy online before you go! https://en.oui.sncf/en/train-ticket

€83,-
I agree - it was very easy to buy from Trainline. We printed the ticket from home and had the bar coded ticket on the app. Montparnasse is HUGE. We were short on time and would’ve missed the train if we’d also had to look for where to buy the tickets.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back