• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snoring and how to stop

camino-david

RIP 2020
Time of past OR future Camino
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
A recent thread about snoring produced some strong opinions, some of which I agreed with, but maybe I can relate my experience.
Some years ago I was staying at a Buddhist monastery in Nepal for a 5 week retreat and sharing a 3 bed room. My companions told me in no uncertain terms that I was a big time snorer, and during some of the meditation sessions my Western monkey brain would jump from thought to thought (not very Buddhist), and I got to thinking about snoring and what I could do about it. In my opinion, it occurred because it happened when I slept on my back, and being asleep my muscles would relax and my tongue would fall to the back of my throat and vibrate as I drew breath. So I decided to try to stop lying on my back, but how to do this while I was asleep?
Because I was travelling through Asia I was carrying a Lonely Planet guide book, which I put in the centre of the bed under the bottom sheet where my back would be when I was asleep, thus making it very uncomfortable to lie on my back. So began my habit of always sleeping on my side, and my snoring stopped. Within a month my body had adjusted and I no longer had to but a book in the bed, and I have not snored for ten years now. And if by chance I attempt to lie on my back in bed it seems so uncomfortable that I wake up.
It's a hassle to start the procedure at first, but well worth it. I am sure there will be cynics out there who don't believe that I have stopped, but I have asked literally hundreds of room sharers if I snore and they assure me I do not snore.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Very interesting. I'm desperate not to impose my snoring on fellow pilgrims, so might just give this a try.

Thanks for sharing David.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks for posting and your persistence in retraining habits, which is never easy. Albergue light sleepers like me will thank you for it.

When my allergies kick up, I can snore (thankfully this is not all the time).

I am a side sleeper who cannot sleep on my back. So this method (glad it works for some) is not one-size-fits-all.

Blessings, Priscilla

A recent thread about snoring produced some strong opinions, some of which I agreed with, but maybe I can relate my experience.
Some years ago I was staying at a Buddhist monastery in Nepal for a 5 week retreat and sharing a 3 bed room. My companions told me in no uncertain terms that I was a big time snorer, and during some of the meditation sessions my Western monkey brain would jump from thought to thought (not very Buddhist), and I got to thinking about snoring and what I could do about it. In my opinion, it occurred because it happened when I slept on my back, and being asleep my muscles would relax and my tongue would fall to the back of my throat and vibrate as I drew breath. So I decided to try to stop lying on my back, but how to do this while I was asleep?
Because I was travelling through Asia I was carrying a Lonely Planet guide book, which I put in the centre of the bed under the bottom sheet where my back would be when I was asleep, thus making it very uncomfortable to lie on my back. So began my habit of always sleeping on my side, and my snoring stopped. Within a month my body had adjusted and I no longer had to but a book in the bed, and I have not snored for ten years now. And if by chance I attempt to lie on my back in bed it seems so uncomfortable that I wake up.
It's a hassle to start the procedure at first, but well worth it. I am sure there will be cynics out there who don't believe that I have stopped, but I have asked literally hundreds of room sharers if I snore and they assure me I do not snore.
In theory this should always work - but have known some pilgrims snore sleeping front-down on their stomachs!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes! for many snorers this stops - or reduces the problem, even just shifting position can stop my hubby for a while... I think i only snore when on my back so make a conscious decision when going to sleep NOT to lie on my back. But many of us still snore in other positions too - my husband can be on his side and keep up a steady, tho not too loud snore all night. I have his permission to dig him in the back if he's snoring too loud in an albergue (and vice versa)
Personally i find barking dogs far more likely to wake me - and Spain is fullof those... how do the light sleepers cope with that?

You are lucky. Sleeping on my back would asphyxiate me. I snore on my side, but at least get enough air to survive.

It is useful to download a couple of the snoring apps, which monitor snoring throughout the whole night.

I snore if I'm on my back but not my sides or front, and I use those little pads that dissolve onto the back of the throat and stop the wobbled bit wobbling just before bedtime, which help. You can get them from Boots or online. Also no alcohol = less snoring.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wonder if attaching a hair clip like this to the back neck of your shirt would work to keep you from rolling onto your back? Much easier than sewing tennis balls into shirts, and dual purpose. :)
97434_BR0910

Some of us snore no matter what position we are in. But not everyone knows this, so having a book or a ball sewed in your pjs at least gives the impression you are working on the issue. :rolleyes: I have a 3mm trachea opening when standing: my dentist wonders how I can get any air in at all. :eek:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
At the end of the day, most are so tired they can't help body position. So I would sleep in the kitchen of an alcove of some kind to snore peacefully. If not available I just waited for the choir to start and just join in. People with light sleeping should just use ear plugs because you are out numbered. I do believe albergues could offer a snoring room but this is part of the Camino experience and well documented for the offended.

Another thing that can help with breathing in general is sleeping on one's side with the pillow at an angle and 'hugged' in front of you (rather than at right angles to the body). This means the weight of your upper arm is supported and your chest cavity is under less pressure. I was taught this by a physio when I had a punctured lung, and it's so comfortable I have done it ever since. At home I have space to have two pillows forming a V shape but in single beds you do have to move the pillow when you change sides.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
At the end of the day, most are so tired they can't help body position. So I would sleep in the kitchen of an alcove of some kind to snore peacefully. If not available I just waited for he choir to start and just join in. People with light sleeping should just use ear plugs because you are out numbered. I do believe allergies could offer a snoring room but this is part of the Camino experience and well documented for the offended.

I'd really like to compliment David for this post. True, many people have intractable difficulties with snoring. Some have physical attributes or disorders. They don't snore on purpose! But David recognized his painful effect on others, set his intention, committed and followed through. It did work for you! Thank you for your commitment to give it a good try. It won't work for everyone, but the fact that you tried hard for the sake of others around you is truly admirable.

There's snoring, and then there's apnea - they seem the same, but are not. The tennis ball/book are good for helping to prevent snoring, but apnea is a whole other beast.
I suffer from severe sleep apnea, but have been using a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) device for over 20 years now. The latest machines are virtually noiseless, only a nearly inaudible whir. They are the most effective treatment for apnea, and for others in the room, a real blessing!
My reason for this post is not so much for snoring, but to humbly request a little special favor for us CPAP users. These machines require electricity, so please give some consideration to allow us to sleep near an electrical outlet.
I have purchased a very small travel CPAP, complete with a rechargeable battery. I have tested it at home, and used it for 3 nights straight, before recharging. So, I think it will work out ok on the Camino, if I am unable to plug it in for a night or two.
Thanks in advance for your kind consideration of CPAP users. We're not trying to hog an outlet, just get a decent night's sleep. And one less noisy snorer.
Buen camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Some of us snore no matter what position we are in. But not everyone knows this, so having a book or a ball sewed in your pjs at least gives the impression you are working on the issue. :rolleyes: I have a 3mm trachea opening when standing: my dentist wonders how I can get any air in at all. :eek:
I agree with no mattter what position. Have done a number of Camino's it's a sure fact have seen/heard people snoring on their side.

There's snoring, and then there's apnea - they seem the same, but are not. The tennis ball/book are good for helping to prevent snoring, but apnea is a whole other beast.
I suffer from severe sleep apnea, but have been using a CPAP (Continuous Positive Air Pressure) device for over 20 years now. The latest machines are virtually noiseless, only a nearly inaudible whir. They are the most effective treatment for apnea, and for others in the room, a real blessing!
My reason for this post is not so much for snoring, but to humbly request a little special favor for us CPAP users. These machines require electricity, so please give some consideration to allow us to sleep near an electrical outlet.
I have purchased a very small travel CPAP, complete with a rechargeable battery. I have tested it at home, and used it for 3 nights straight, before recharging. So, I think it will work out ok on the Camino, if I am unable to plug it in for a night or two.
Thanks in advance for your kind consideration of CPAP users. We're not trying to hog an outlet, just get a decent night's sleep. And one less noisy snorer.
Buen camino!

It was with dread I saw that the chap in the bunk next to me had a CPAP machine, when I was walking last April. I was pleasantly surprised at how little noise it made - with earplugs in, I didn't notice it at all. A good lesson for me in not being so judgemental...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ahh, the snoring subject. I read the related thread and it brought back other memories of last year's Frances. In SJPdP I met a friend after the first night from my home state who had a small portable C-Pap that I never heard. He said it's much quieter than his snoring. I have been on mission trips and slept in an elementary school room full of men and learned the value of "good" ear plugs, not the disposable foam ones. I am thin, but in my 60's and snore some, but not badly (according to my wife). Just past O Cebreiro when checking into the albergue a pilgrim woman asked me if I snore, when selecting bunks. I replied "how should I know, do you?" She was taken aback and said no, but she did! I found when walking with the younger generation, they were less tolerant and more complaining about snoring. In Melide, a young woman poked me in the chest in the middle of the night, saying "you're snoring! Loudly!" I apologized as I was startled, but after laying awake for some time, became a little more angry, wishing I had told her "and what's new! Get some ear plugs." She had probably started near the end of the Camino and wasn't used to it. I also found though I normally don't sleep on my back, my legs hurt so bad when on my side I found myself laying on my back more. Ahh, the Camino lives on! Buen Camino friends. 'Wish I were there!

Do you have a recommendation on what are 'good' earplugs? Custom? I use disposable earplugs most nights, and they only block 30-33 dB. Many snorers top that noise level. Again, snorers don't intend to snore, but I need to plan in the best way possible to get some deep sleep.

Do you have a recommendation on what are 'good' earplugs? Custom? I use disposable earplugs most nights, and they only block 30-33 dB. Many snorers top that noise level. Again, snorers don't intend to snore, but I need to plan in the best way possible to get some deep sleep.
The wax ones are very effective.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

For me, the combination of earplugs (the ordinary ones you can get everywhere) and walking more than 20km per day was mostly enough to ensure a deep sleep. What noise I could hear at that point generally drifted off into the background, kind of like white noise. The occassional siesta in the afternoon helped too, and the occasional glass of wine. No need to worry too much. It will be ok!

I also like the silicone/wax ones that are mouldable to your ears and canal. I bought some at Walmart and they are amazing. They come about 6 pairs to a box, and can be used over and over if kept clean. They can block out almost everything. It's a little weird at first. You can also over sleep as you won't hear others getting up. https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/walgreens-soft-silicone-ear-plugs/ID=prod6191592-product

Last edited:
Also, if you sleep in a hostel, you have to hope for the best and prepare for the worst! That means buying, testing out and getting used to a range of premium ear plugs before you go. If you are really unable to tolerate snorers and can't find a suitable solution, you need to stay in hotels. For the snorers, it means at least having a go at trying to reduce the problem months before using hostels if not for yourself then for others; try the many different 'solutions' out there and use an app to monitor their effectiveness over time and see if there is one that helps. I agree with all the above preventative things above as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.