• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

SNORING!! I am the Champion!

RENSHAW

Official Camino Vino taster
Time of past OR future Camino
2003 CF Ronces to Santiago
Hospi San Anton 2016.
Yes , I am afraid that I am one of those that keep you awake . I am the little Gentleman with the fat tum that makes more noise than a Volcano erupting. I am the one that drives you mad.
YOU make sooo much racket to stop me that YOU wake up the entire dorm.
But I do always ask the Hospitalero if there is a snoring room or a corner for me and sometimes there is , Like in Obanos where there is snoring room.
Sorry to all those who have suffered and sorry in advance to those that that will suffer my rasping roar in times to come. :mrgreen:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
:::makes the Sign of the Cross, spits on the ground, and turns around 3 times:::: to protect herself from this Roncadoro! :lol:

Anniesantiago said:
:::makes the Sign of the Cross, spits on the ground, and turns around 3 times:::: to protect herself from this Roncadoro! :lol:

On the Bridge at Zubiri , no doubt?? Losintoooooooooooooooo. :mrgreen:

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Calling all snorers!

I too used to be a champion snorer, enough to wake everyone in the same room, until I discovered a remedy.
The most common cause of snoring is from the person who sleeps on his/her back, so the logical thing to do is to sleep on one's side. But how is it possible to achieve this, even while sleeping?
The answer is simple. Put a hard object in the middle of the bed, so when one turns over to sleep on one's back, it is uncomfortable and so one turns back to one side, without waking up. A hard object can be a tennis ball cut in half, or in my case, the Lonely Planet guide to SE Asia. It cetainly curred me of snoring.
Please try it, because snorers on the Camino cause a lot of distress to others. Camino-David

So true Renshaw. Once I had a snorer on the bed above me. And a very annoyed snore hunter on my other side across a narrow aisle. Snore hunter make very loud clicking lizzard like sounds hoping to wake up the snorer. When that failed, he reached out and shook the bed frame really hard. Guess who was kept awake all night and by whom ! Then snore hunter went around the dorm with a touch shaking up every snorer he can find. That was why I had called him the snore hunter.

It was my first night in Spain, in Roncesvalles, in that huge barn of a dorm. That night, it was quite a symphony coming from all corners !

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Taking the Pollyanna approach I've discovered one up side to living with a surround sound snorer - it's made tolerating them en mass just a little bit easier.
However what continues to drive me crazy is the selective deafness that accompanies my husbands condition. Despite being able to sleep peacefully with his very own boom box blasting out God knows how many decibels right between his ears, the slightest noise coming from outside his own 'sound picture' e.g. me turning over in bed, gently opening the window or turning on the light in the bathroom, etc (but oddly enough not crying babies.....) will wake Stephen up with a start. Whenever his sleep is disturbed in this manner I get a deeply injured look from the 'innocent party' before he falls back to sleep....and to generating more arryhthmic monster noises :mrgreen:

Rebekah Scott said:
my husband snores while sleeping on his sides, his back, his stomach. He is multi-talented!
Yes , I am one of those multi-talented pilgrims as well but I will try the advice given with the hard or uncomfortable object preventing me from turning on my back - a 500ml bottle of water should do the trick - Anything to help. Perhaps I won't snore as much?
Sometimes, I am disturbed by fellow Roncadoros and I will just roll over and smile , knowing that it is not me thats in trouble this time.I find it easy falling back to sleep.
I have also had pilgrims accusing me that the 2 or 3 glasses of vino I drink with dinner makes me snore but I can assure you that I will snore whatever.
I am prepared to try any other ideas that anyone has. :D

Renshaw,
you shouldn't feel ashamed of your snoring. The Camino's not easy and if the sound of a fellow pilgrim snoring is the worst people have to endure they'll have got off lightly.
Enjoy your vino. Who was it said: A day without wine is a day without sunshine? :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
hear hear, steve.
If you can´t sleep with other people snoring nearby, you maybe ought to get a room of your own to sleep in. It is always amazing the folks who want a private room that is utterly silent, has electrical outlets and private bedside lighting, fresh mattresses and linen and perfect cleanliness.. for five euro or less! :shock: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Hello all

I use earplugs when sharing a room with ANYONE lol.

I was in Canada on a trekking holiday in 2007 and one person snored so loudly we forbade them to set up their tent within 100ft of the rest of the group. We did feel a little guilty so we all invested in earplugs after that lol.
A few sites below but there are hundreds of places to purchase them worldwide. They are cheap too when you consider a good nights sleep AND not harbouring any ill feelings to those who snore. :)

http://www.zenplugs.co.uk/
http://www.snorestore.co.uk/acatalog/al ... oring.html
http://www.allearplugs.com/
http://www.earplugsonline.com/u-snore.html

God bless
Chris

Knowing that my wife's snoring keeps me awake, I was really worried about losing sleep on the Camino due to being surrounded by all the snorers I'd been reading about. I brought ear-plugs with me, but found that I never needed them because I was so tired from walking all day that I slept through everything (the red wine probably helped too).

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Drinking a bottle of that yummy inexpensive wine you find in the tiendas along the Way is good for sleeping too :lol:

Hi
Ignoring the question of who's the best snorer(its me by the way) i found a perfect way to stop my snoring bothering my fellow pilgrims, just go out all night and come back at 6am in the morning. I did this when i did the norte and was at miraz on the 25th july, me and two fellow fiesta buddies set about rectifying 100's of years of strife of anglo-irish relations over a few G +T,s, problems solved at about 6am(or was it they shut the bar, i cant quite remember) then back to the hostel for 1 hours sleep, result all around. Cant quite understand why the hospitellenros insisted having their photos taken with us.
mike
ps my feet werent happy, but thats a small price to pay for the comfort of your fellow pilgrims.

Ah Mike. If only all snorers were as considerate as you! Maybe snorers could walk their pilgrimage at night? Could be a whole new way of walking a Camino lol.

Of course i am only joking! I snore sometimes. Allegedly. Still not had the proof though. Lol. Then again i camp so there is no one to hear me *grin*. And my ear plugs make sure the critturs of the night dont disturb me with their snoring either. You ever hear a flock of sheep snore? Sounds like i night in a youth hostel lol.

God grant us all a good nights sleep.

Chris

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A funny story in last october, I met this italian guy (world class snorer), we get to share a room with other 3 people in Carrion de los Condes, that was my first encounter with this subject, well, that night it was like a music concert.

After that, I was walking from foncebadon to Ponferrada, I stop to eat at Molinaseca, I was a little tired, I decided to stay in one of the last albergues in town, but I saw this guy entering there, and I decided to keep walking to Ponferrada hehehehehehe !!. Few days before I was at the alberge in Vega de Valcarce, and I get to sleep in the bed just one meter from this guy, LOL !!! I couldn't believe it, destiny !!!!....that night I went to the dining room and I get to sleep without any single noise...I learned in Viana that in some albergues you can do this, you just have to be ready in the morning to let other pilgrims have breakfast..

Hi,
I made a big joke on my previous post about snoring, but the reality is that its a serious issue for me. What do you do if you snore very loudly and feel very self conscious about. On my camino on the Norte i nearly never did it or even started it because i knew my snoring was quite loud and thought of sharing a room with several people made me feel quite uptight and nervous, so much so that on the ferry from Plymouth to Santander i had talked myself out of doing the camino, and it was only the meeting on the ferry with another pilgrim who persuaded me to just give it a go for a few days, that led me to starting out from Santander and really changing my life in ways that i never expected.

As a loud snorer(not all the time, i cant predict it and even my body position doesnt alter anything) i have a lot of comments from fellow pilgrims, this i have come to accept is my extra burden on the camino, i would love to just let it wash over me but i cant, some people can. I book into individual accommodation more than i should and when staying in shared accommodation always look for remotest part of the room, so it affects the least number of people, this isnt me being a 'good person' just me trying to manage my embarressment. I suppose this message is really to non snorers,i know how hard it can be sometimes walking the camino and sleep is so essential to all of us, try to think of us with a little bit of humour if you can, it may help you sleep. And really when my(and people like me) snoring is too loud and too much, my heart goes out to you because i know how hard the camino can be.

mike

Mike, you are a gem: a compassionate snorer!

Much as I hate a bad night´s sleep, I figure snorers are the least of the possible horrors one might encounter on a pilgrimage.
When you opt for accommodations that cost only 5 Euros a night or so, on a trip that was designed to "crucify the flesh and cleanse the spirit," well... You kinda signed yourself up for some suffering! :(
Better a stereo chorus of snorers than a troop of silent bedbugs. Or the Dreaded Pilg Bowel Virus. :oops:

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked the camino 2 years ago and was always leave early and arrive early (hot water/choice of beds). One day I'm sitting in my bunk at the far wall all by myself (first arrival bonus) when this large older man waddled over to my corner and acted like he was going to get the lower bunk right next to me. I told him to get away as I could tell he was a snorer. He moved, but his friend came later and told me I was a bad pilgrim and that attitude was what's wrong with the camino. They packed up and left. I felt bad. The next day I ran into a pilgrim I knew and he told me that 2 pilgrims came late to his albergue and one of them (large) snored so bad no one in the room could sleep all night (even with earplugs). I told him discreptions of my 2 pilgrims and they were the same. We had a good laugh, but he was tired and I had a good night's sleep. If you snore that bad, you should sleep in hotels or inns. I see nothing wrong with keeping snorers up with me if I can't sleep.

I once spent a night in a dormitory that was shared with Shrek ...

Touva said:
If you snore that bad, you should sleep in hotels or inns. I see nothing wrong with keeping snorers up with me if I can't sleep.

Perhaps if you don't like earplugs, and sleep that lightly, YOU should be the one to get the hotel. No one snores on purpose. They would prefer they didn't. It comes as naturally as breathing.

In the refugios one must put up with all sorts of irritations, some of which are genuinely inconsiderate. I think the snorers are innocent, they just don't breathe very well at night.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I once snored so badly in an albergue that my wife pretended she did not know me.

Another time a poor Korean got the blame but shamefully I did not enlighten the complaining pilgrims.

I was abused by a Spanish man who was doing the last few days for his certificate from Sarria in the last hostel before Santiago.

I now know I need to get a ground floor bunk close to my wife so she can give me a dig when I start snorting.

Ph

Snorers should think of themselves as giving a special gift to all the non-snoring pilgrims. With our help the non snorers could be presented with a vexation to consider before they've even set foot on the Camino. When they've walked a while and they're footsore, maybe with a blister or two, the backpack straps are chaffing, and they're asking themselves why they ever started the crazy adventure, the fact that they might have to share a dormitory with a noisy sleeper will pall into insignificance

I'm not a snorer, nor can I live with it. My first experience, in Estaing, was akin to listening to the soundtrack of The Exorcist. The sound was powerful and seemed to come more from the stomach or diaphragm. On the other hand, avoiding or prosecuting snorers in shared accommodation is neither fair nor realistic. On the Camino, there are so many people, men my age in particular, who snore.

All along the Le Puy route I was able to find a modestly priced single room, or a small room to be shared with non-snoring friends. I treated the problem as mine, not the snorers'.

If you like to walk in peak periods and pay the minimum, then Chris' links to ear-plug retailers could be very useful. Friends of mine from Quebec used individually fitted industrial plugs, and I'm considering them. I'd be curious to know if anyone has a favourite plug. Or is there already a thread on the subject?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Perhaps we just need MORE snorers....At home I am a bit of an insomniac and my husbands snoring can be a real problem On the camino however I often found that if there were enough snorers they blended together into a white noise that actually helped me to sleep.. it didn't always work like that though. Funnily enough my worst night ever was on my second camino at Leon where we were separated by sex and I was in the women only dorm and a single snorer in the bunk above me kept quite few of us awake until someone else broke and prodded her bunk with a hiking pole.

On my first camino I wore ear plugs every night, and every night they fell out and every morning in the dark I had to fish them out from under the bunk where they had rolled. One night just as I was about to put them in I realised that they were no longer mine.. I was so horrified that I threw them away and used a wad of slightly damp toilet paper instead. This worked surprisingly well .. it is always available, shaped itself to my ears, kept out some of the noise and it didn't matter if it fell out once I was asleep. I have since used this at overloud concerts etc and will probably just go with this option for my next camino.

Perhaps if you don't like earplugs, and sleep that lightly, YOU should be the one to get the hotel. No one snores on purpose. They would prefer they didn't. It comes as naturally as breathing.

In the refugios one must put up with all sorts of irritations, some of which are genuinely inconsiderate. I think the snorers are innocent, they just don't breathe very well at night.newfydog
140-160 posts

THIS IS A RESPONSE THAT I CANNOT AGREE WITH. I'm not talking about a light snorer where earplugs will block the sound. I'm talking about someone who shakes the walls and refuses to roll over on their stomach. Respect the fellow pilgrims and do the right thing and get a room if you are in this category. Snorers are some of the ones who get upset with early risers who want to get away from them and get some peace and quiet...

If you look at someone and think they are are a heavy snorer and you are correct, and you exert your character to try and make them feel uneasy about them staying next to you, is this a good thing . What if that person is willing to to say no this is very bad i will not allow this , yes i snore, but in this thing we call the camino for any person to try and exclude someone from accommodation because of a bodily function, is it correct. What if that person was to ignore you, and in the reverse, try and get you to leave the that location, sounds daft, but what if that person was quite physical and insisted upon it, would he or she be a bully. No , because you had picked your course of action and he or she had merely replied to it in a same manner. I have never done this . But i am not above it. this is is a very bad way of interacting on the camino, but sometimes one course of action deserves another.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Touva said:
I see nothing wrong with keeping snorers up with me if I can't sleep.

The problem is that by keeping snorers up with you, you're also keeping up most people who were actually sleeping.

If you can get your hands on a pair of ear plugs they give out at F1 races, it be great. The plugs mould themselves to your ear. If they can block the roaring cars, they can block the snorers!

I am an insomniac. On bad days (regardless of reasons; snoring, light in the eye, etc), I just stick my iPod into my ear. I have my folder of sleepy tunes which plays for hours, and they drown out all other sound.

Rebekah Scott said:
When you opt for accommodations that cost only 5 Euros a night or so, on a trip that was designed to "crucify the flesh and cleanse the spirit," well... You kinda signed yourself up for some suffering!
This is so true - I want a bottom bunk , I want warm water , I want heating , I want .... I want .. I , I ,I ...... I want to live like a King , I want a Parador for 5 euros a night and it better be clean and of a high standard! :mrgreen: And the free Albergues must be up to scratch as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Touva said:
THIS IS A RESPONSE THAT I CANNOT AGREE WITH. I'm not talking about a light snorer where earplugs will block the sound. I'm talking about someone who shakes the walls and refuses to roll over on their stomach.

Sleeping on your stomach can ruin your neck and back. I used to sleep that way and the physical therapist who worked on my neck made me change. I would not ask anyone to do that for the sake of my sleep.

I had earplugs that for the most part, drowned out most frequencies of snoring. However, there was a couple from Canada that kept ALL of us up at the albergue in Tosantos....it was so bad, one poor German fellow actually went and slept in the closet room they used to store the blankets! The next day, I was so exhausted when I woke up, I opted to take a bus to Burgos instead of trying to walk. I promptly took a three hour nap after arriving there and woke up feeling refreshed. Snoring was a part of the Camino for me. I got used to it. Earplugs helped. It was out of my control, there was nothing I could do about it so I just sucked it up and dealt with it. Sometimes that meant taking a bus because I was too tired to walk from getting no sleep the night before. Oh well! It made for a good story and I had a great two days of rest in Burgos as a result of it.

I used earplugs that worked most of the time. My first Camino, I did what Rose did and put in my iPod, but I left electronics home the second time.

There were days I was absolutely exhausted from lack of sleep, but Reb has it right, really. If you want privacy, you can get a private room.

On the other hand, it might be "nice" if people who are earthquaking snorers would consider they are keeping a lot of other people awake and make other arrangements... but that is in a perfect world... one I dream of on those nights I'm listening to the roof rattle! lol

Last time I took a little mosquito tent... very lightweight and used my trekking poles to set it up. It gave me blessed relief more than once, from both the roncodoras and the bedbugs!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm aware that I snore badly and really wish I didn't but short of surgery can't do much about it. So I do try to stay awake by reading with a torch for a while after lights-out, but then once a lady told me off for disturbing her with the light.
I can't win!

fellow loud-snorer here. i registered to this site just to say i sympathize. i didn't snore when i was younger. not through high school. not through college. from the year 2000 until now i've gained about 70 lbs. it was during this time that i began snoring, real loud. i never stay anywhere unless it's single occupancy. i don't like staying anywhere other than my own apartment because i know i will wake up people in the rooms next to me. but this is a forum about the camino, and i just want to say that yesterday, for no reason, i asked myself, "hey, isn't there a trail somewhere in spain that people follow as a pilgrimage?" then i began to look up as much info as i could. then i went to bed and snored until 8am.

To juniorista, a word of advice from a fellow sympathetic snorer. You can have your single accomodation and do the Camino too. This year I did the Camino Ingles and stayed in hostales, where I had a single room with en suite bathroom and all for around €30 per night. I booked ahead, but found this was not really needed on the Ingles. I imagine it would be needed on the Frances. Disadvantage is that you do not get to spend the evening with people from your Camino flock, but you will meet them out there anyhow, and the people who run the hostales are mostly very friendly and welcoming. Incidentally, in a hostal in Pontedeume I was issued ear-plugs, for my benefit in view of an all-night fiesta that night - no help at all!
Seriously, just check out the Camino, it is really recommended, not only for the sake of your extra pounds either. Whether you lose them or not, you will gain something else, something really valuable. Buen Camino!
vandrefalk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks for the links PilgrimChris.

As many along the Camino, I too had great difficulty falling asleep and once asleep staying that way due to all the snorers. I don't consider myself a light sleeper but the cacophony was just crazy. I didn't realize that people could make so many different sounds!

I brought a pair of those cheap airline plugs and the wax type that mould in your ear but neither worked for me. Got so tired having them fall out of my ears that I gave up after a while. Still don't understand how I walked without a good night's sleep.

Question I have is this: has anyone used the Zen ear plugs? Or any other option besides the standard ear plugs? Would like to try something else the next time around.

Cheers,
LT

Don't get self-conscious about snoring. It will ruin your Camino, and won't improve anyone else's. Welcome to the Forum, and have fun on your walk.

€60,-
I snore. I use BreathRight. It does not reduce snoring by much, I am afraid. Snoring has little to do with the nose; it comes from the tissue of the soft palate and throat area. When they invent a VERY lightweight CPAP machine, the noise level may diminish, but not until then (and until 30,000 pilgrims annually from around the world all can afford a $500 machine).

RENSHAW said:
Yes , I am afraid that I am one of those that keep you awake . I am the little Gentleman with the fat tum that makes more noise than a Volcano erupting. I am the one that drives you mad.
But I do always ask the Hospitalero if there is a snoring room or a corner for me and sometimes there is , Like in Obanos where there is snoring room.
Sorry to all those who have suffered and sorry in advance to those that that will suffer my rasping roar in times to come. :mrgreen:

I had to laugh when i read this. I had a guy get up in the middle of the night and scold me for snoring. About 5 people laughed and said, "how the hell would YOU know Buddy as YOU are snoring the loudest. Lots of people who wake up are waking themselves up. My MOTTO, "they should use ear plugs" you are in a dorm. LOTS of noise! I'm a flight attendant and we go no where without our earplugs. It's a person's own responsibility to put them in. I usually snore if I've exhausted. Back, side - sometimes not at all. Buen Camino my Rocadaro friend! :)

€46,-
On the Camino Portuguese last year, I kept a diary, which includes.....
"Dusk was falling, so we returned to the albergue, and all went to bed. At 10:30 P started to snore. I’d experienced snoring in previous albergues, but this was different. P would be silent for about fifteen seconds. Then a noise would erupt from his mouth, followed by what sounded like a shout. This went on for four hours.
The volume was such that the empty room actually vibrated at every exhalation that P made. P could snore for Spain, and I’m sure he held the gold Olympic medal for snoring. I tossed and turned, and tried to ignore it, but all to no avail. At 2:30 in the morning, I gathered my sleeping bag, and went into the girls’ dormitory.
“It’s only me.” I said in a loud whisper.
“Stay!” said Catarina. I had no intention of doing anything else……
Catarina told me later that they had been warned about P! “We could hear him snoring through two closed doors and twenty metres of passage. There was a moment when we had a discussion about whether we should come and rescue you!”"
Buen camino!
Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

rubyslippers said:
I had a guy get up in the middle of the night and scold me for snoring. About 5 people laughed and said, "how the hell would YOU know Buddy as YOU are snoring the loudest.

I have had this on a couple of occasions, I have been woken up by someone who has been snoring themselves. They usually have a shocked look on their face when I tell them this.

Given that I'm asleep most of the time, I can't be sure when or how badly I snore but I know that I do. I try to fall asleep last and sleep on my stomach so as to minimise the likelihood of me snoring and disrupting other people.

I also knew going in to the Camino that snoring would be an issue. So I was prepared for an occasional night of interrupted sleep myself given that I try to be the last one to fall asleep. That is the nature of sharing accommodation with several strangers night after night.

However, the single worst night was in Leon when three snorers in the beds below and beside me managed to create an ongoing symphony of snores for hours on end. I eventually fell asleep from sheer exhaustion but I wouldn't dream of waking any one, however irritated I might be by their snoring. By definition, they are unconscious and unaware of my irritation and a cursory glance at this forum would have served to warn me that there are snorers of great repute on the Camino. If I go in knowing that, is it not a little foolish to then complain that the expected snorers materialised as expected?

€46,-
The solution to silence snorers is so simple, pack earplugs, the silicone ones that swimmers use works best. If you yourself are a snorer then you know what works best for you: sleep on stomach or side, use breathright strips, one gentleman last year carried his CPAP, other solutions you may know. Remember most, if not all people snore at some point and to some degree.
The beauty of the Camino is learning to live together!

Kitsambler said:
I have had excellent personal experience with a fitted, lightweight device from my dentist. Reduced my snoring by 90%, according to Someone Who Should Know. This is a US product, but I'm sure something similar would be available elsewhere.
http://www.glidewelldental.com/dentist/services/removables-silent-nite.aspx
RENSHAW said:
I have a RESMED S9 (which is so much quieter than the S8) and the pilgraims in the room with me said it caued them no problems
In fact some said it was a good background hum

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You know a simple solution to this (since no one can cure someone who snores) is to stop whining and complaining and buy ear plugs. If you are going to sleep in a communal setting--snoring is to be expected--someone who snores is not doing to to particularly annoy you!

I see that 'snoring' has reared it's ugly thread (Haha) again so I thought I would revive this.

I see that 'snoring' has reared it's ugly thread (Haha) again so I thought I would revive this.

While on the Camino this year someone woke me up to tell me I was snoring--evidently my response to being waken from a deep sleep was enough to have him not to try it again.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am an expert snorer, but recently diagnosed with sleep apnoea. The CPAP machine saved my life but also gifted my wife a quiet night's sleep, as it is impossible to snore with such a machine. Just a thought to all my fellow snorers - it is absolutely worth while getting an assessment at a sleep clinic to check if your loud snoring is just loud breathing, or actually obstructive sleep apnoea. One is fairly harmless, the other can cause all sorts of health problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the folk getting up at 4am and scrunching plastic bags and slamming doors far more annoying than the snorers...
But when awake for many nights with toothache I realised that pretty much EVERYONE snores, snuffles, grunts or talks in their sleep at some time of the night! So perhaps we should (as Steve said) be more tolerant of each other when staying in the so-reasonably-priced albergues provided for us... and earplugs are very cheap!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If your contentment depends on others changing their behavior, I think you are doomed to unhappiness. If you cannot deal with snorers, stay in private rooms, because snorers certainly are not.:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I used to have a problem, but a deviated septum/tonsil/uvula operation has cured me for the most part. According to my better half, I occasionally snore lightly if on my back, but a gentle prod causes me to turn over--problem solved! Snore away. It's all part of the ambiance. (Of course that is easy for me to say as I am deaf in one ear, so sleeping on my side with good ear to the pillow allows solitude.) :)

Here is something I posted on another thread. I thought I'd share again. Read only if you have the time. All in fun….

On my first walk in 2005, I stayed the night in Larrasoaña. The beds were pushed right next to each other. I was sleeping next to an older man. In the middle of the night, I was awakened by the most horribly grotesque sound I had ever heard. Imagine what a drowning fish might sound like gasping for its last breath. This is what it sounded like all night long. I was really scared for the man. I thought he was going to pass away in his sleep!

I tried all the "tricks" to maybe disrupt his breathing, but nothing was helping. It wasn't the loudness that was scaring me, but it was the way he sounded. After about an hour or so, he rolled over and paused. This wasn't for long through as he rolled back over and gargled/gasped/choked even louder.

Earlier in the day, my Camino brother gave me some earplugs. I had never used them before. I spent some time digging them out of my backpack in the dark this night. It was useless. I spent an hour battling to put those darn things in, but they kept falling out. It was extremely frustrating. How can a grown man not put in earplugs? It seemed the REST of the room had them!

The man kept drowning. One of the plugs rolled out of my ear (again), and I had enough. I grabbed my sleep sheet and went into the "common room" to sleep. I quietly shut the door behind me of the dorm room and slept on the eating table. Shh, don't tell anybody.

It was only my 3rd night of the Camino. I had made the decision that night to not be anywhere near the man, ever. Nothing against him of course, I just didn't want to have nightmares if I ever did sleep again. This remedy worked better than the earplugs, and I didn't have any ill-will toward him. I saw him wake the next morning. I was happy he was alive and not fish-flopping on the ground.

I tried earplugs only one more time, same result. Ugh! All of my travel of the last 15 years is by backpack. I mostly stay in hostels, airports, train stations, bushes. Of course on the Camino, I stay only in refugios unless "impossible". I have walked 3 times and will return for another 2014. I'm used to "communal" sleeping. I hope that doesn't sound risqué. ;)

If you're not tired of reading yet (thank you), here is my point....those darn earplugs are used by so many except for me because I can't put them in! Frustrating! All these years later, I found my "problem".

On a recent visit to have my hearing checked, (Don't laugh, it was free, and I was trying to prove a point to my dad who drives me insane because I have to repeat EVERYTHING I say to him. Another story.) and while I was getting hooked up to be tested, the technician became extremely flustered. Guess what? She couldn't put the earphones in my ears! She tried over and over and over, but the sensors (or whatever they're called) kept falling out. Hmm...I've been here before.

Then the skies parted and the angels sung as she exclaimed, "You have baby earholes!"

So my problem was never my skills. My problem is having tiny earholes which make it even more difficult to put earplugs in! Wahoo! I explained this story to her, "Yep, that makes sense." she replied.

Darn, too bad I can't have the flexibility of a baby. Too bad my belly looks like I'm carrying one.

ANYway...(for those still with me)...I found something that helps me with snorers. In many of the refugios, there are pillows that seem extra long. These are great for me because I can wrap the pillow all the way around my head from one side to another. My head becomes a "taco filling" with the pillow covering both ears. Ah-ha! This and a bottle of wine really help me sleep next to the "snorkelers"!
(I probably should have put this part at the beginning huh?)

Keep a smile,
Simeon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hahahaha..............Oh Simeon, you make me laugh!! Thank you :D

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back