• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snoring on an Airplane?

aname4me

aname4me
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, (2021)
I was on a overnight flight this week. The lights were dimmed for several hour. Many people were sleeping. Not the best sleep... but sleeping.
What I noticed was, no one was snoring.
A hundred people “sleeping” and, no one was snoring.

In an Albergue, snoring is really common.
In a room of 6 people, a couple of them will snore.

Questions...

Why was the airplane not full of Snoring People?
-because they were sitting?
-because their wife jabbed them in the ribs when they started?
-thin air?
-I was lucky that night?

Would it help if Albergues used chairs that barely reclined (instead us bunk beds) and played loud engine noises?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Probably because they were sitting, though that doesn't stop all snorers.
I've fallen asleep in the evening, during a less then exciting TV show...... I snore in the chair.

NOT on an Airplane ? ? ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was on a overnight flight this week. The lights were dimmed for several hour. Many people were sleeping. Not the best sleep... but sleeping.

Questions...

-thin air?
-I was lucky that night?

Would it help if Albergues used chairs that barely reclined (instead us bunk beds) and played loud engine noises?
aname4me, I truly believe you ought to rush straight to the patent office...

Questions...

-thin air?
-I was lucky that night?

I now have a song running through my head and I wish it would stop. To the tune of John Denver's "Leaving on a Jet Plane, it starts like this, "No snoring on an airplane, Don't think I'll complain......"

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Questions...

-thin air?
-I was lucky that night?

The answer is, it depends. Generally, sleeping while upright or reclined reduces snoring in people who snore relative to a sinus congestion issue. These folks, myself included, snore mightily when That lay flat. But sleeping inclined really helps. At home, I need several pillows, and my wife’s fist...you should see the bruises...

The other possibility is that not many people on your flight had a lot to drink. Alcohol numbs the soft palate at the rear of your throat. When numb, it flops about and induces snoring. Less alcohol generally means less snoring on a plane.

Hope this helps.

Physically exhausted people snore more and louder than others -- that's the discrepancy.

Snoring is rare on night trains too ...

I once shared a 16-20 bed dormitory (8 to 10 bunk beds or so) with two young Spanish women on the Camino Aragonés, who instantly attacked me for my snoring as I walked in and laid eyes on them for the very first time in my life -- which I thought was both unreasonable and aggressive -- I think I grunted in response.

Of course, the two lovelies set up a chorus of sonorous snoring during the night, to which I just quietly giggled, turned over, and went back to sleep against.

Didn't even bother to joke about it in the morning, as I assumed that time and the inevitable discovery by each that the other was a loud snorer would calm their ardour to complain about this natural condition of our sleep.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Questions...

-thin air?
-I was lucky that night?

The answer lies with two reasons;

1) Sleep quality
2) Environment

Which can both depend on the condition of the person.

In an airplane, most have rested relatively equally when they board. They do fall asleep but it is not a restful sleep. It is tagged, "restless sleep," as it is noisy and can be also a bumpy ride, neither of which thet would normally experience in their own bed. When so far away from REM sleep, snoring is rare.

In an albergue, just about everyone has walked a lot and are bushed. They have racked uop as their bodies need a decent sleep cycle. This is where REM sleep is accomplished, when the body has been worked hard and needs to replenish. Unfortunately, some sound like they fif not turn off their Harley Davidson before going to be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I know I wake myself snoring when lying on my back in bed.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.