• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snoring revisited

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Alas alcohol is not always required.I carry a bag of earplugs to offer to those nearest poor sleepers.
But I have to say from very long experience that earplugs just don't cut it, because - as the OP said - it is the bass resonance rather than the sound that can shake the whole bunk, indeed - on one occasion - the floor as well.

It really was so bad that five of the six in the room at Orisson had no sleep at all ,myself included.
There is no solution other than pensions and casa rurals which is what I am doing . By the way ( oh a pun ) the Casa rural in Espinal has the nicest old lady , mother of the owner who took our clothes down from the line dried them by the stove and folded them . Perfect for a good night's rest .

This may seem odd but in two months on camino with most nights in albergues I cannot recall any snoring. I unfortunately spent many hours awake each night anyway and I didn't hear any then and I think it is unlikely that the snoring only happened when I was asleep.

Now, when Peg and I were in a hut while backpacking and hadn't managed to get adjoining bunks I did hear some snoring when awake. I was thinking to myself "That sounds like Peg. But she doesn't snore." Well it turned out to be her first night doing so as she told me in the morning that someone woke her up to get her to stop.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't want to be an alburgue snob, but I know I snore sometimes, so I always book a private room at the alburgues or pensions. It's better for me and for all the other innocent pilgrims around me. I don't want to be "THAT GUY" ;)

Same here. Staying in private rooms for the rest of the camino. With no sleep I won't be able to walk during the day. First night in auberge pelerin was peaceful and quiet. Second in Valcarlos we had 3 of those hardcore snorers. I tried earplugs, also YouTube with sounds of rain and waves to block noise out. Nope, nothing helps. My camino will cost more, but it will be worth it. I am having a great time btw. The camino is such a wonderful place

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is there anything new to say on this subject? I will share that my Camino this spring resulted in a new view of snoring. I did find a particularly good set of ear plugs, which helped (there are various qualities available). But as mentioned by others, when the building itself is vibrating, ear plugs are not sufficient. I was able to change my mind and I determined that even when I was not able to sleep due to a nearby snorer, I would consciously relax and actually enjoy the minutes and hours of stillness - even when I was not actually sleeping. It was so revolutionary. Yes on the Via de la Plata, with many older men, snoring was omnipresent. I was not going to let it ruin my Camino, and it did not. I felt refreshed every morning, even when it had been a noise filled night. Buen Camino to both snorers and non-snorers.
Mike.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know if I'm different or you are, but you make me laugh! Seriously, keep it coming!
I will do my best to keep at it. :p

Honnestly, so much of many things is the mind set. "Think-feel-action" is one thing to keep in mind, the other is "change the fact - change the emotion".

So snoring, instead of thinking it will prevent you from sleeping which makes you feel mad at your dormmates and makes you get up to wake them up, use the sound for meditation. Or instead of hearing making snoring a noise, see it as a sleeping aid, or a sign of someone else's comfort after a full day of fresh air amd walking under the sun.

Or learn to practice hypnosis for sleeping. Works wonders.

I will do my best to keep at it. :p

Honnestly, so much of many things is the mind set. "Think-feel-action" is one thing to keep in mind, the other is "change the fact - change the emotion".

So snoring, instead of thinking it will prevent you from sleeping which makes you feel mad at your dormmates and makes you get up to wake them up, use the sound for meditation. Or instead of hearing making snoring a noise, see it as a sleeping aid, or a sign of someone else's comfort after a full day of fresh air amd walking under the sun.

Or learn to practice hypnosis for sleeping. Works wonders.

I have done the same thing: rather than try to escape the snoring noise, use it as a meditation and focus on it. You need it; it focuses and centers your breathing.

Innnnn--nn-nnn gasp ugggh gasp
Ouuuuuut --tt -tt tt gaspppppp

Seriously, it can be a tool to approach it from a different mind set, but it still makes me laugh that anyone else would even think of this. Guess I'm not so odd!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
It is the unpredictable nature of the snore that causes the disruption. If it were rhythmic I would just about believe it was possible to meditate to . It's not though and the only thing I could think of was will he ever take the next,
" szzzoroh 'gruggge ,snissh ,gurgle, garrgglle ,coharkk ,glerg ,woosh"
Or pass away :((

Another tip----I used headphones and my "White Noise" app on my phone -- works much better than ear plugs. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are currently on day 18 of our Comino and found on the very first night at Roncevalles that earplugs did not work. There was a full orchestra of seasoned snorers. I happened to have packed noise cancelling headphones and they have solved the problem for me so far. They are in ear not over ear so do not restrict the way I lie. I just switch them on without music and they work a treat.

Here is the model I use: Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones

Dear all,

I write as a snorer, for which I apologize most profusely. My snoring is caused by Sleep Apnoea and to an extent was out of my control. However, I now sleep with an air pump at the side of my bed every night without exception, it's connected by pipes and tubes to a face mask I wear which makes me look not unlike Hannibal Lecter from the film Silence of The Lambs.

I digress. Prior to being issued with the pump I snored terribly, and I probably disturbed others in the same albergue, hostel, hotel room, tent, sleeper train, etc. But I too am disturbed by other snorers just as other snorers were disturbed by me.

Just because we snore does not mean that we go to sleep straight away and hear nothing else throughout the night to wake all refreshed and chirpy chipper the following morning. Oh no, we too are disturbed during the night just as everyone else is by somebody, drunk or sober, snoring away.

Please bear this in mind the next time you are disturbed. It is a chance we all take when we share accommodation with others, either known to us or complete strangers. Nobody marches us into these places with a gun in our backs, it's a choice we freely make.

I will begin my third Camino in just over two weeks walking from Porto to Santiago. I shall be carrying my pump with me, it weighs in at just over 2 kilos. This is going to be my punishment for disturbing fellow Peregrinos on the Frances last April / June and the Primitivo in September 2015.

With best wishes for your present and future Caminos.

Ian Hooper

Wonderful.....I just "laughed so loudly" the dog barked at me.
Funny thing in Orisson 6/10 pilgrims were snoring and I wasn't one of them cause I didn't sleep more than 15 min. I ran out of earplugs to throw.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I take back every word I have ever wrote about snoring .
There is no effective way of blocking out the bass resonance of a half drunken middle aged man :

Oh wait.. you've not been in the same room as my dearest. She is the first and only person I've met who snores on the inhale and the exhale. I must write it off because of love. :)

We are currently on day 18 of our Comino and found on the very first night at Roncevalles that earplugs did not work. There was a full orchestra of seasoned snorers. I happened to have packed noise cancelling headphones and they have solved the problem for me so far. They are in ear not over ear so do not restrict the way I lie. I just switch them on without music and they work a treat.

Here is the model I use: Bose QuietComfort 20 Acoustic Noise Cancelling headphones
Great idea but they are approx $300 Canadian - do they totally cut out all noise? I have never used noise cancelling headphones before. I have custom ear plugs as my husband snores but they are very snug and I usually take them out in the night as they bug me!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Same here. Staying in private rooms for the rest of the camino. With no sleep I won't be able to walk during the day. First night in auberge pelerin was peaceful and quiet. Second in Valcarlos we had 3 of those hardcore snorers. I tried earplugs, also YouTube with sounds of rain and waves to block noise out. Nope, nothing helps. My camino will cost more, but it will be worth it. I am having a great time btw. The camino is such a wonderful place
I am thinking of walking the camino this September. As an older woman who has trouble sleeping anyway I think I will need private rooms. Are they difficult to find along the way?

I am thinking of walking the camino this September. As an older woman who has trouble sleeping anyway I think I will need private rooms. Are they difficult to find along the way?

Welcome to the forum @Loretta S
I wouldn't be too concerned - you will be so tired from your daily walks that you sleep quite through a lot ;-) And yes, if you need them private rooms are easy to find. Buen Camino, SY

Dear all,

I write as a snorer, for which I apologize most profusely. My snoring is caused by Sleep Apnoea and to an extent was out of my control. However, I now sleep with an air pump at the side of my bed every night without exception, it's connected by pipes and tubes to a face mask I wear which makes me look not unlike Hannibal Lecter from the film Silence of The Lambs.
Ian Hooper

I use a CPAP at home, too. Can you send me info. on the portable one? Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use a CPAP at home, too. Can you send me info. on the portable one? Thanks!
@JillGat, I used a travel CPAP from Transcend (mytranscend.com) last year on the Camino, and again travelling in northern Europe this year. With an aftermarket packing cell rather than the manufacturer provided monster carry bag, I have the weight down below 1.2 kg. Adding a humidifier and the battery pack would increase that, but I haven't worried about these options.

With regards to the battery pack, I met another pilgrim when I was at San Anton who was using the smaller battery, but was finding that it did not last him the night.

@t2andreo has recently posted information about another travel CPAP that has recently become available.

"There is no solution other than pensions and casa rurals which is what I am doing"

There is another solution and your eyes won't have to stray too far to see it (and you have more money to spend on wine).

So often I wished I had had my ultralight tent with me .
Especially when I came across a soft grassed area next to a small stream , complete with birdsong and abundant shade .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The only real cure for it is to make sure you're so physically exhausted every night that nothing and nobody can keep you from sleeping -- though naturally, these are also the precise conditions whereby you'll be likely to start snoring yourself.

The loudest snorer I've ever come across (and on multiple Caminos I've come across rather many) was my dad -- he could fill the entire house with the noise. Santiago pilgrims ? Bah, rank amateurs ...

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back