• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snoring - useful info?

Tim-F

Time of past OR future Camino
2022 - Frances, Ingles, Muxia
2023 - Portuguese
Hi folks.

It seems that my snoring has recently got significantly worse. Last year I walked the Frances and Ingles (plus onwards to Muxia), and I wasn't aware of my snoring being an issue. I've recently walked the Portuguese Central from Porto, and it was an issue. So, apologies to those who's sleep I disturbed.

Clearly I need to do something about it, if I wish to walk another Camino and enjoy albergue life. I really don't want to spoil other people's enjoyment, and I found it very upsetting when I was given a cold-shoulder by people who I'd previously had friendly encounters with.

I recently heard an interesting programme discussing anti-snoring products. It's part of a series on BBC Radio 4, called Sliced Bread. The premise is, is a product "better than sliced bread" or "marketing BS"? The programme also explains the basic causes of snoring.

I'm not particulalry over-weight, but I do have quite a fat neck, which combined withe a small jaw, makes me predisposed to snoring. Hmm!

Spoiler alert ... the products (sprays, nose tape, mouth guards) can potentially help, but the best course of action is to lose weight and not drink alcohol before going to bed. I was hoping that spending a few quid would magically solve all my problems. Ah well, the hard way it is then.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A cold shower? That sounds a bit rough, especially if you weren’t aware of the snoring. I think it’s reasonable to expect that if you choose to sleep in an albergue, you should expect to encounter all sorts of bodily noises that people make, unawares, during the night. And if there is a particularly loud snorer, perhaps telling them rather than giving the a cold shower would be preferable? That sounds pretty obnoxious on the part of your room mates!

A friend of mine told me a rigged up some kind of device that held a golf ball in place near the centre of his back whilst sleeping- apparently it was quite effective at keeping him from sleeping in his back, which was where the snoring was at its worst….

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Tim-F,
Have you thought about a sleep study to see whether or not you have apnea? I was like you, people in albergues making fun of me, others telling me in the morning that I snore (I already knew that). Then I did a sleep study at the request of a friend whose partner died of apnea. The study showed I had severe apnea, and now I carry a BIPAP with me when I travel or walk a Camino: no more snoring, and I sleep through the night.
Think about it.
All the best,
Paul

I am on the camino now and there is a cpap in my pack. In anticipation of this trip, I had a new sleep study that showed that I both snored and have sleep apnea.
I tried mouth guards, nostril enlargers and more. Alas, the cpap turned out to be the best answer. It's worth it to not disturb others and to get good sleep. And...it's making me feel better about letting my pack be shuttled.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Echoing others, I also had a sleep study that revealed apnea almost a decade ago. Mine was co-occurring with other health issues and eventually corrected with surgery, but I did benefit from a CPAP in between. I can attest to how life changing it is to not lose oxygen every 3 minutes during sleep… significant improvement in energy and overall health. Good luck!

Last edited:
I snored badly, did the sleep study and was diagnosed with apnea, which has a lot of long term health issues. I've used a cpap for several years now. The cpap really took care of the snoring problem and a huge additional benefit is that I definitely sleep better and am more rested in the mornings. For the camino in 21' I got a travel cpap. The whole outfit (machine, mask, power cord) weighs in at 1 pound exactly. I never had problems getting a bed close to a power supply. People were grateful and more than willing to trade bed locations to get a quieter night of sleep.

Hi folks.

It seems that my snoring has recently got significantly worse. Last year I walked the Frances and Ingles (plus onwards to Muxia), and I wasn't aware of my snoring being an issue. I've recently walked the Portuguese Central from Porto, and it was an issue. So, apologies to those who's sleep I disturbed.

Clearly I need to do something about it, if I wish to walk another Camino and enjoy albergue life. I really don't want to spoil other people's enjoyment, and I found it very upsetting when I was given a cold-shoulder by people who I'd previously had friendly encounters with.

I recently heard an interesting programme discussing anti-snoring products. It's part of a series on BBC Radio 4, called Sliced Bread. The premise is, is a product "better than sliced bread" or "marketing BS"? The programme also explains the basic causes of snoring.

I'm not particulalry over-weight, but I do have quite a fat neck, which combined withe a small jaw, makes me predisposed to snoring. Hmm!

Spoiler alert ... the products (sprays, nose tape, mouth guards) can potentially help, but the best course of action is to lose weight and not drink alcohol before going to bed. I was hoping that spending a few quid would magically solve all my problems. Ah well, the hard way it is then.
I recommend you read the book “Breath” by James Nester. I learned so many things in this book and a lot of it relates to snoring.
Also, on my last Camino, I traveled with a travel CPAP machine, which happens to be my full time CPAP machine. Just a thought. And you don’t have to be overweight to have sleep apnea, so losing weight won’t necessarily help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I will be walking the Camino Frances in September. I had a concern with my snoring. I tried nasal strips with little luck. Last week I started using the ZQuiet mouthpiece. My wife confirms that it works beautifully. It's a mouthpiece that you put in your mouth while sleeping and it adjust your jaw. It comes in 2 sizes. You can check it out at https://zquiet.com.
Good luck and Buen Camino!

As others have noted, you do sound like a prime candidate for sleep apnoea. I strongly suggest you see a doctor quickly and arrange a sleep study. If diagnosed, use a CPAP - you should quickly become used to it, and it will add years to your life. As for using it on Camino, I've found that most people prefer the gentle white noise of the CPAP to me bringing the roof of the albergue down with a torrent of snoring! Never had a problem at any albergue getting access to power or with other pilgrims complaining. I'm planning on walking again next year, and happy to carry the minimal extra weight of my travel CPAP for the relief it brings and the improved quality of sleep and life in general. Go for it!

Hi folks.

That’s awesome that you are concerned. I would like to think most people realize one does not snore on purpose so no one should be giving you a cold shoulder about it. Honestly I was only slightly irritated with one person that snored but as soon as I fell asleep I did not notice. I think people stress about it to much

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
A lot of good advice above!

When you get the sleep study done? Make sure that they are very clear as to whether your appropriate remedy is a CPAP or a BIPAP. Save time and money as they are NOT inter-changeable because the underlying problems are different and require different treatment.

In an albergue, if I saw someone set up either unit, I would grab the nearest bed possible. The "white noise" they provide helps me fall to sleep rather quickly.

Buen Camino!

B

Hi Tim-F,
Have you thought about a sleep study to see whether or not you have apnea? I was like you, people in albergues making fun of me, others telling me in the morning that I snore (I already knew that). Then I did a sleep study at the request of a friend whose partner died of apnea. The study showed I had severe apnea, and now I carry a BIPAP with me when I travel or walk a Camino: no more snoring, and I sleep through the night.
Think about it.
All the best,
Paul
Hi folks.

Do you wake up in the morning tired? That should be another reason to have a sleep study done. That should also be a wake up call to see a doctor.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am on the camino now and there is a cpap in my pack. In anticipation of this trip, I had a new sleep study that showed that I both snored and have sleep apnea.
I tried mouth guards, nostril enlargers and more. Alas, the cpap turned out to be the best answer. It's worth it to not disturb others and to get good sleep. And...it's making me feel better about letting my pack be shuttled.
bless your solution:
I have slept in a bunk over a bloke who brought a Cpap ( new light version) and felt nothing through the night.
With appropriate ear plugs it was just white noise...

Last edited:
As others have noted, you do sound like a prime candidate for sleep apnoea. I strongly suggest you see a doctor quickly and arrange a sleep study. If diagnosed, use a CPAP - you should quickly become used to it, and it will add years to your life. As for using it on Camino, I've found that most people prefer the gentle white noise of the CPAP to me bringing the roof of the albergue down with a torrent of snoring! Never had a problem at any albergue getting access to power or with other pilgrims complaining. I'm planning on walking again next year, and happy to carry the minimal extra weight of my travel CPAP for the relief it brings and the improved quality of sleep and life in general. Go for it!
The cPap machines now are automatic to your needs. 10 years ago after a sleep study they diagnosed that I stopped breathing 70 x/hr. Now I bring my portable machine everywhere. The solution is life extending and I sleep less and don’t fall asleep during tha day. And no snoring. Do it please.

Hi folks.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnoea many years ago and use a CPAP machine. I lost a few kgs (not a lot) and no longer have an issue with snoring.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Many thanks for the helpful replies.

I don't think that I suffer from sleep apnoea, but will speak to my doctor anyway.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.