• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snoring

jessebob

Hi
I have been told that I snore. I will be carrying some "breath right strips" with me, but know these are not fool proof. I 've read some other posts regarding snorers and I am a bit afraid of upseting my fellow pilgrims with my snoring.
Any advice.
Jesse Bob

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I sympathise-even though I don't snore. I teamed up with someone who did snore on the vdlp last year. The albergues were usually deserted so he slept at one end me at the other.
I don't know how many times I've told people to take ear plugs-if they don't then they are also to blame!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
u can snore all you want my friend, secure in the knowledge that you are far from the only one :)

no seriously it's the non-snores who are in the minority and who need to buy earplugs.. if you are serious about limiting your snoring I applaud you but it won't make the slightest difference because 25other people in the room are still snoring anyway :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Peversely, I got used to sleeping with the sounds of many people snuffling, snorting, coughing, snoring. It becomes a 'Sonorous serenade" (like the croaking of frogs).
When I returned home I found it took me some time to gt used to the silence at night and when my husband snored it kept me awake. Then I needed the ear plugs!

Snoaring

People ratteling plastic bags was more of a bother for me.
You will have company, so don't worry. Just enjoy your Camino.

I used to snore badly until I had my tonsils removed. Surgery isn't a very practical option however, so I used to always try to stay awake for a while after lights out, to give people a chance to drop off before I started with my night music.

I say tried - some nights I was so tired I was asleep as soon as I lay down.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm a snorer and was very worried about how other people would react to snoring. Then found out that the people who complained most were, in fact, the loudest snorers!

So just use the earplugs, and you'll find that after a while you get used to the noise. At times it can be quite comforting to have all those people around you.

Agree that rustling plastic bags, particularly at 5am or earlier, are a more annoying problem.

Jesse,

albergues are public places.

If someone doesn't like people snoring, he/she can always rent a room in a private facility.

Remember the old maxim: "el peregrino agradece, no exije" ("a pilgrim is thankful, not demanding).

Buen Camino,

XM :arrow:

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think there's a pattern with snorers along the camino. Most of them leave before everybody does (haven't verified if they also belong to the plastic bag brigade) so the non-snorers wouldn't really know who did it last night except the unlucky ones who had a snorer as a bed-mate. As you go along the camino you'll find out who snores and you better make sure your bed is not adjacent to his or hers. I've been to a couple of refugios where the hospitalero asked who snores and sent them to a different room where they can hold their choral recital all night long.
If only there's a note on the snorer's credencial concerning his nocturnal sound emissions then that would be cool, though some would probably think that's discrimination.

Mark Mulingbayan

This is probably been my only real concern apart from where to pee (admirably sorted with a Whiz/Shewee plus biodegradable bag for responsible disposal of tissue if it is required). I have been blessed with a non-snoring husband, but have some champion snorers in my family (all of whom are male, and have gone up a few collar sizes in their life).

From the point of view of worried snorers, there is a gumshield-type device available that keeps the lower jaw in a position and is effective in preventing snoring (so, of course, is keeping your weight down, but that, as most of us know, is not always so easy). The few times I have had to sleep around snorers, and for when I stay in Central London, then I have found Q-Zone earplugs to be the best. They are washable silicone and have two different filters for low (snoring) and high (street noise) frequencies.

every albuerge will have 4 or 5 snorers, guaranteed

it's more the responsibility of the people annoyed by it. I was, so I bought ear-plugs. Worked like a charm.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On both of my previous pilgramages, I failed to take ear plugs but was so tired I fell asleep almost immediately! There were a couple of ocassions when I'd have liked them... Most notably when in the same refugio as a 75 year old French woman who became known as 'The Lawnmower' for obvious reasons... Think I'll get some for instances such as this!

It's great to hear positive attitudes regarding snorers like myself. It can get out of hand in albergues.

Once I was waken up in the middle of the night at the albergue in Eunate (an excellent one, btw, hardly ever visited by people that seem to be in a hurry to arrive at Puente la Reina and skip it) and confronted by an angry crowd of pilgrims that could not sleep.

I've since (had to) found out that, in my case, sleeping upside down and/or sideways eliminated the snoring.

But snorers are not the only ones that keep people from sleeping. There are also folks that socialize endelessly in the dorms, not allowed after 10 pm (or is it 9 or 11?), "lights out" time.

Ain't easy being a "roncador" (snorer).

Buen Camino :arrow:

xm

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Xm, I just can't help asking this: How does one sleep 'upside down'? ;-)

Mark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Mark,

most of the time I write so fast that as a result, words/expressions, no matter what languages, suffer in their inacuracies.

spursfan got it right, "face down" it is!

xm

Don't worry xm!

It's the price we pay for speaking two languages, sometimes we mix'em up, especially when we are speaking/writing fast!

Regards from San Juan!

Me worried :shock: ?

Nah, Lillian, me :D happy, the more languages the better (even when half-assed! :) ! )

BTW, I got a very nice boricua pilgrim friend by the name of Maricarmen, who lives in SJ.

Would u happen to know her?

xm

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back