• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow and Somport

Ian Holdsworth

Can anyone tell me when in the spring the Samport Pass is clear of snow and safe to walk.
I have read that there is a great problem of muddy paths. Information please.
Does the melt make the path useless until later in the year?
Also numbers of walkers on this route April/May ?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The road is a good alternative when there is mud or snow. Also, you can take a bus to Canfranc Estacion through the tunnel in bad weather. Somport is passable to hikers almost all the time even when the roads are closed to vehicles. "Be Prepared" for survival in inclement weather. October and November had very few pilgrims. I suspect that early spring is equally quiet. Many albergues are closed. Only one was open in Canfranc Estacion in November and opened only in the late afternoon. The Canfranc tourist office is very helpful, but keeps the usual Spanish hours.

Hi Ian,

I walked to Somport on 7th April last year. I kept to the road on the way up as I was short of time. and there was only one other pilgrim in the private hostal where I stayed. There were lots of skiers staying there also.

There was snow for about 1 km of the track leaving Somport the next morning, and a bit of ice on rocks for a little after that. My diary does not mention mud but makes note that the walk from Somport to Jaca was difficult because of the steep and rocky paths. I didn't see any other pilgrims until after Canfranc, and the albergue at Jaca was only sparsely occupied

Buen camino.

Alan.

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I found the above useful as I am hoping to walk Somport-Puente la Reina 6-12 April and am wondering (a) what the weather will be like and (b) how busy it will be. I guess closer the time I will have a better idea about the weather and as I am already in Spain I can abandon the whole idea if necessary. I imagine it will be busier than when Alan did it because of the Holy Year and the Easter holidays but I can't see it being overrun at this time of the year. Any comments on walking the CA in early April most welcome ...

Hi Senyor Pirotechnic,

I wish I could forecast the weather for April, it would make planning the camino so much easier... :?
I walked from Somport last year, end of March, and I had a really nice sunny day all the way to Jaca. The path was more or less dry, no mud, but I walked the first few km along the road as the camino was still covered with knee-deep snow. The next day from Jaca it was raining heavily, so I guess I was lucky.
I had the albergue in Jaca all for my own, then in Arres I met two other pilgrims, once again all alone in Ruesta, one other pilgrim in Sanguesa, and eight (!) other pilgrims in Monreal (and then of course hundreds in Puenta la Reina...).

So, in conclusion, the weather forecast for April will have sun and rain, maybe some snow. And there will be other pilgrims, though I doubt you will have problems finding accommodation.

Rolf

you could always check the ski report for conditions at Somport. They´d tell you if there was fresh powder on the ground!

I think April is pretty safe. You might get wet, you might get muddy, but no one´s died up there in recent memory.

Just do it.
Reb.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back