• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow at O Cebreiro today

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I’m literally nearly twice the woman I was way back in Ponferrada 2002: meds.

But, I am alive and on the mend and in Santiago around 18TH, 19TH, or 20TH of this month.
I hope you get to see SYates in Santiago! I'll be thinking of you when you fly out this coming Monday!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked through snow flurries from Sarria to Casa Morgade today. Couldn’t believe my eyes!

Oooohhhhhh Casa Morgade. On my very first camino in 2000, I stayed there. At that point, it was a couple of rooms on top of the kitchen. The señora told us she was from Bilbao and had married a galego with a farm. Her family thought she was crazy. We sat around the table after her great home cooked meal and talked for hours. About three years ago, I walked through again and was surprised to see the huge emporium that Casa Morgade has become. The woman I had met was now the grandma, and several generations were working in the kitchen and the hotel. My very strong impression was that this family still brought the same love and enjoyment to their enterprise as they had years ago. I have seen so many camino businesses turn from love-of-the-camino to a working grind, and it was a real joy to see that this particular enterprise had been able to preserve the feeling that had started the business years ago.

Truenorthpilgriim, I would love to hear your impressions of this place. Did you still feel the love of the camino?

Oooohhhhhh Casa Morgade. On my very first camino in 2000, I stayed there. At that point, it was a couple of rooms on top of the kitchen. The señora told us she was from Bilbao and had married a galego with a farm. Her family thought she was crazy. We sat around the table after her great home cooked meal and talked for hours. About three years ago, I walked through again and was surprised to see the huge emporium that Casa Morgade has become. The woman I had met was now the grandma, and several generations were working in the kitchen and the hotel. My very strong impression was that this family still brought the same love and enjoyment to their enterprise as they had years ago. I have seen so many camino businesses turn from love-of-the-camino to a working grind, and it was a real joy to see that this particular enterprise had been able to preserve the feeling that had started the business years ago.

Truenorthpilgriim, I would love to hear your impressions of this place. Did you still feel the love of the camino?
Well right now there are just 2 other pilgrims tonight and the man, Paco, may be the second generation (his wife is Portuguese and they have a toddler). The family was in the dining room, eating lunch when I came in from that crazy weather and yes, it really does feel like a home albergue but...I can imagine how busy it gets during the high season.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Although your question was directed to Truenorthpilgrim I would like to add a comment.Not my first Camino but stayed in Casa Morgade for the first time 2 weeks ago.The love of the Camino is very much alive and kicking there.Had a great evening in the company of pilgrims from America, Hungary,Germany,France,Italy and last but not least Ireland.
The grandmother whom you mentioned was there along with 2 younger women and a younger,very tall,man who took charge of the evening meal.He has a great personality ,brought everyone together and there was lots of laughter.
It is one of the stand out memories for me this year.

And at the other end of the Camino Frances too. An article from Navarra about heavy snow near Roncesvalles with a photo of snowploughs in action on the Alto de Ibaneta.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Gee, living in South Florida for nearly five years now, I have diminished memories of the white, cold, wet stuff. But I do not miss it.

I hope you all enjoy it.

I DO miss being at Santiago though... every day.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Well right now there are just 2 other pilgrims tonight and the man, Paco, may be the second generation (his wife is Portuguese and they have a toddler). The family was in the dining room, eating lunch when I came in from that crazy weather and yes, it really does feel like a home albergue but...I can imagine how busy it gets during the high season.
Apologies, Mournes, truenorthpilgrim, and peregrina 2000, but I couldn't resist jumping in regarding Casa Morgade. Such fond memories, but one, in particular, that I noted in my journal at the time: "Tuesday, May 30, 2017...A delicious meal for 10 Euros. At the end, I ordered from Paco (he was also doing dining room service) an orujo de hiervas, and when I paid for my meal, I noticed he did not charge me for the orujo, and he made the quip which I'll never forget: "We don't want to get rich," in perfect English. This seems a common theme all along the camino. My 5'8" frame gave his 6'8" frame an Abrazo and a good night. Later in my room, I composed a note for him that he would find the next morning addressed to him and left at the table where I sat for dinner." I signed it "Juanito" which is how Paco addressed me from the time he first looked at my Credencial. "Cool," I wrote in my notes. I'll be back in 3 years.

Apologies, Mournes, truenorthpilgrim, and peregrina 2000, but I couldn't resist jumping in regarding Casa Morgade. Such fond memories, but one, in particular, that I noted in my journal at the time: "Tuesday, May 30, 2017...A delicious meal for 10 Euros. At the end, I ordered from Paco (he was also doing dining room service) an orujo de hiervas, and when I paid for my meal, I noticed he did not charge me for the orujo, and he made the quip which I'll never forget: "We don't want to get rich," in perfect English. This seems a common theme all along the camino. My 5'8" frame gave his 6'8" frame an Abrazo and a good night. Later in my room, I composed a note for him that he would find the next morning addressed to him and left at the table where I sat for dinner." I signed it "Juanito" which is how Paco addressed me from the time he first looked at my Credencial. "Cool," I wrote in my notes. I'll be back in 3 years.

Well I couldn’t resist and decided to write a note to Casa Morgade describing my experience and these posts. I got back the most wonderful email. I will translate below:

Hola,Laurie .
Cuanto se agradecen esas palabras tan bonitas ,hacia nuestro negocio ,un
pequeño negocio familiar que fue creciendo poco a poco ,y que a pesar de
pasar los años lo único que hacemos es abrir las puertas de nuestra
casa a los caminantes con nuestro mas humilde trabajo .
Y palabras como estas, nos emocionan y ayundan a seguir en ese camino.
Estas palabras las recordaremos siempre .Gracias ..gracias ,gracias
Si alguna vez mas decide hacer el camino....le agradecería que se diera
conocer, .
Nuevamente le agradezco esas palabras tan bonitas.
Un saludo de parte de todo el equipo de Casa Morgade

Hi, Laurie, We really appreciate these beautiful words about our business, a small family business that grew little by little. And over the years, the only thing we do is open the doors of our house to the peregrinos, and offer them our more humble work (I think here what he means is that the peregrinos do all the hard work, they just do the easy bits).
And words like this affect us and help us to continue. We will remember these words always. Thanks, thanks, thanks. If you decide to walk the camino again, we would appreciate it if you would identify yourself. Again, thank you for those nice words.
Greetings from the entire team of Casa Morgade.

Makes me want to head back to the Francés right now! Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On this past springs Camino, we left O'Cebriero with heavy snow starting to come down on April 2nd. The previous day it was so warm we were all in shorts and T shirts when we arrived there.
We heard that by the following morning on April 3rd they had had so much more snow, delivery trucks were unable to get up the hill for resupply.
The highly changeable weather is exactly the same as we have where I live in Alberta where if you don't like the weather, just wait 15 minutes!

Well I couldn’t resist and decided to write a note to Casa Morgade describing my experience and these posts. I got back the most wonderful email. I will translate below:

Hola,Laurie .
Cuanto se agradecen esas palabras tan bonitas ,hacia nuestro negocio ,un
pequeño negocio familiar que fue creciendo poco a poco ,y que a pesar de
pasar los años lo único que hacemos es abrir las puertas de nuestra
casa a los caminantes con nuestro mas humilde trabajo .
Y palabras como estas, nos emocionan y ayundan a seguir en ese camino.
Estas palabras las recordaremos siempre .Gracias ..gracias ,gracias
Si alguna vez mas decide hacer el camino....le agradecería que se diera
conocer, .
Nuevamente le agradezco esas palabras tan bonitas.
Un saludo de parte de todo el equipo de Casa Morgade

Hi, Laurie, We really appreciate these beautiful words about our business, a small family business that grew little by little. And over the years, the only thing we do is open the doors of our house to the peregrinos, and offer them our more humble work (I think here what he means is that the peregrinos do all the hard work, they just do the easy bits).
And words like this affect us and help us to continue. We will remember these words always. Thanks, thanks, thanks. If you decide to walk the camino again, we would appreciate it if you would identify yourself. Again, thank you for those nice words.
Greetings from the entire team of Casa Morgade.

Makes me want to head back to the Francés right now! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie. I'm very pleased you took the time to communicate with Casa Morgade, and such a gracious response! I'm going to print this, bring it with me when I do the CF again in 2022, and share it with Paco, et.al. Like you, I wish I were there right now. I have no expectation Paco would even remember me, but I remember him, and how his kindness contributed to my overall Camino experience. Best wishes, John

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Laurie. I'm very pleased you took the time to communicate with Casa Morgade, and such a gracious response! I'm going to print this, bring it with me when I do the CF again in 2022, and share it with Paco, et.al. Like you, I wish I were there right now. I have no expectation Paco would even remember me, but I remember him, and how his kindness contributed to my overall Camino experience. Best wishes, John

Maybe before you go, you should start a new thread asking people to give their memories of Casa Morgade and take it all to the family! I think that since I sort of derailed the snow at O Cebreiro focus of the thread, this may be tucked into a place where a lot of people won’t see it.

Nothing wrong with a Casa Morgade love fest, given what lovely people they are!

Brilliant idea, Laurie! I will make this part of my plan. I have photos from the big terrace in the back where I basked like a lizard in the warm afternoon sun. Closed my eyes and listened to the music of birds, and the mellifluous notes of multiple languages. Sigh...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It even snowed in Burguete at 885 m above sea level and the First Responders team tweeted this photo with mucho ❤:
This makes me wish I had a Twitter account...which is saying something. Wonderful. I hope this year pilgrims behave themselves so that the bomberos have lots of time to do nothing besides drawing hearts in the snow.
Well I couldn’t resist and decided to write a note to Casa Morgade describing my experience and these posts. I got back the most wonderful email.
Lovely. Just lovely. The first time I went there, it was dumb luck. The next times it was planned and eagerly anticipated...the love these people have make it a truly special place.

Oooohhhhhh Casa Morgade.
I passed through Morgade on my way from Sarria to Portomarin in 2015. It was a welcome stop for lunch, but the thing I remember most is a perfect bocadillo atún. The balance between the bread, the atún and the oil in which it was packed, and the tomato with its perfect juice - honestly, I've dreamed about this perfect sandwich ever since. It was the Platonic ideal of a sandwich.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back