• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow at O Cebreiro!

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It´s so cold right now!! Luckily is not raining too much, so pilgrims that are doing the Winter Way or Camino de Invierno in Spanish can get to Santiago safe and sound and dry :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Get used to it at O'Cebriero...until May. In 2016, I walked up to the top of the hill into the village in a white out. It was a brief but fierce snow squall with customary winds. At its height, it was difficult to see 20 feet or 7 meters to the front.

By the time I walked out of the village, after a coffee and tortilla, the snow had stopped. Leaving the village behind, once I walked down about 100 meters in altitude, all the snow was simply gone.

ADDED NOTE: As a general matter, at elevations above about 700 meters ASL (above sea level) snow is possible and not uncommon across northern Spain until the end of May. There are even stories of sporadic early June snow squalls if the weather conditions are correct.

Last edited:
Almost 5 years ago to the day;
O Cebreiro 29/11/2012.
Cold but as always memorable!
42O_Cebreiro.jpg

Luckily for me, Boris, a sturdy pilgrim from ex-Yugoslavia now in Germany working as a personal guard for celebrities walked with me. Perhaps Carlos, the gracious hospitalero at Ruitelan, had asked him to do so; perhaps it was just serendipity.
Up we slowly climbed on dry road to begin, then a bit of snow, then deep snow and total white out. Huge pines shaggy with snow resembled grotesque phantoms from some fairy tale. After four hours climb there was a low stone wall - civilization at last! We had arrived. ...I shall always remember our walk and how comforting it was to have a guardian angel.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Get used to it at O'Cebriero...until May. In 2016, I walked up to the top of the hill into the village in a white out. It was a brief but fierce snow squall with customary winds. At its height, it was difficult to see 20 feet or 7 meters to the front.

By the time I walked out of the village, after a coffee and tortilla, the snow had stopped. Leaving the village behind, once I walked down about 100 meters in altitude, all the snow was simply gone.

We found snow in early May, 2015. Wore socks for gloves, very unexpected.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm in León and it is VERY COLD. But dry
I see that you are from County Wicklow in Ireland. My friends Susan Hill and Treasa Earls who I walked the Camino de France with for three years are from that county. Buen Camino

Almost 5 years ago to the day;
O Cebreiro 29/11/2012.
Cold but as always memorable!
View attachment 37559

Luckily for me, Boris, a sturdy pilgrim from ex-Yugoslavia now in Germany working as a personal guard for celebrities walked with me. Perhaps Carlos, the gracious hospitalero at Ruitelan, had asked him to do so; perhaps it was just serendipity.
Up we slowly climbed on dry road to begin, then a bit of snow, then deep snow and total white out. Huge pines shaggy with snow resembled grotesque phantoms from some fairy tale. After four hours climb there was a low stone wall - civilization at last! We had arrived. ...I shall always remember our walk and how comforting it was to have a guardian angel.

Meredith great photos and a great story. Best wishes, enjoy that champaign!!;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is currently (1st of December) also snowing in the Western Pyrenees. The Bomberos Navarra team tweeted a short video of their recent recce trip in their all-terrain vehicle to the Izandorre hut on the stretch of the Camino Frances from SJPdP to Roncesvalles that is closed to walkers until the end of March 2018. I can't embed the clip into this message but you can view it when you click on https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/936597066951864320 . Below is a screenshot - that's what a wintery landscape looks like when the sun does not shine:

View attachment 37574
Yikes!! :eek::confused:

:eek::eek::eek: Beautiful.
12 May this year was rain and more rain with mud and more mud. :p:p:p
Church as special as ever regardless.
Heda, I walked O'Cebreiro just two days after you this past spring on May 14, 2017 and had a mostly sunny day with great views and only a slight chill which was perfect for walking. Such a difference than the rain and mud you encountered. It would have been so nice to meet you! We were "so close and yet so far". :(

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Keep happy all of you.
Wow wish I was in NZ summer has arrived .
I am walking the 100kms next year for my Brother who died and my son to.
So looking forward to that.
I pray that I remain in good health.
You're walking with your son? I am sorry about your brother, my heartfelt sympathy.
I wish you a good camino.
I too pray that I remain in good health to walk 'just one more'. It 'll be for the memory of someone dear, too.
Ultreia.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is new snow at O Cebreiro, but it is goodbye to Christmas decorations in Portomarin:

readImage.asp

You're walking with your son? I am sorry about your brother, my heartfelt sympathy.
I wish you a good camino.
I too pray that I remain in good health to walk 'just one more'. It 'll be for the memory of someone dear, too.
Ultreia.
Thank you for your message. No I am walking as both my son and my brother died in 2013. My son in May and my Brother in October whilst on the Camino. He did not come back. I miss them so much I hurt.

Does anyone know the name of a little cafe on the way up in a little village ... they sokd fresh juices and food and I think they had accomodation upstairs ....????
Thanks if anyone knows

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know the name of a little cafe on the way up in a little village ... they sokd fresh juices and food and I think they had accomodation upstairs ....????
Thanks if anyone knows
The name Mary's rings a bell - I recall they sell a decent bocadillo de tortilla :)

DSCF3369.JPG

No, I was thinking of Casa Polin

1540644944638.png

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Keep safe all you pelligrinos. I pray that the sun will sun.
Keep Happy and warm.
Hug another pilgrim.
Good wishes

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back