• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snow... But Just Barely!

• Thread starter Deleted member 43985
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 43985

I was excited to arrive in Roncesvalles to find a very modest amount of snow on the ground today, also happy that by half way down to Zubiri the ground is totally bare. To top off a nice afternoon of settling in for tomorrow’s first day of walking, Father Valentine came by and offered all (6) of us a nice tour and history of the Church, crypt, and cloisters. Really nice surprise but I guess in actuality it was my second nice surprise, the first meeting another Forum member here! What are the odds :)AA5B6539-522E-44A1-8EFA-7A34CA724F87.jpeg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, can’t believe how great this feels to be here again! I will send along noteworthy observations here and invite anyone interested to follow the full blog and photos at: 2014cds.wordpress.com so I don’t spend my whole night posting to several different places!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Leaving from Zubiri yesterday, I was really, really happy that there was no snow! In fact by the time I reached the outskirts of Pamplona it was sunny and had reached 10 C...! Now I’ll have to admit I didn’t have that in mind when I was selecting my clothes for this trip!

A fair number of Pilgrims about for this time of the year. Looking forward to seeing everyone more as we get to the smaller towns with limited Albergue choices.

One tidbit that has irked me today... EVERY water fountain has been turned off. I guess it must be to protect them from winter freezing but at 10 C I couldn’t fill up the entire day and ended up a few litres short by the end. I don’t like carrying a lot extra because of the weight but will need to today or the Hill of Foregiveness May become my last stand!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Wow, can’t believe how great this feels to be here again! I will send along noteworthy observations here and invite anyone interested to follow the full blog and photos at: 2014cds.wordpress.com so I don’t spend my whole night posting to several different places!
Thanks for reference to your blog, Jozero. A very pleasant early morning read with my coffee! Keep your footing.

I’m sure i am not the first one to have figured this out but... if you have sore feet and walk slow enough you can do a headcount on how many Pilgrims are walking the same stage as you! I left Puente la Reina pre-dawn and managed to arrive in Estella just before dusk. Seems there are only 5 others travelling in my stage currently. I’m taking a day off to explore Estella so will be fun to get a new headcount on the group behind us.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jozero, thanks so much for sharing your experiences with those of us who are just dying to be on a winter Camino! Our pilgrim spirits are there with you. Please keep feeding us!

I echo what kdespot has said above. You are bringing me back, step by step. You did not mention going to Eunate. On my CF, I refused, but later when I saw it, I was deeply sorry! It isn’t really a detour, as the Aragonese way takes up and it joins in Puente la Reina. If today is your rest day, enjoy.

Enjoying the blog, Jozero...great narrative and pictures. Your opening thoughts for setting off on a Winter Camino echo my own. Third week of February (24th) from Astorga for me, so looking forward to following your blog as you progress towards and beyond Astorga. Go well!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I’m sure i am not the first one to have figured this out but... if you have sore feet and walk slow enough you can do a headcount on how many Pilgrims are walking the same stage as you!.
For two and a half days I've been following just one set of footprints on the VDLP. About noon today I caught up with the very tall Belgian man making them :) He is planning a two-night stay in Salamanca. In my three days walking so far he is the only other pilgrim I've met or heard about. Very quiet round here :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you very much. I have exact the same feelings you express. Will follow your blog.

Would you believe 11c today between Estella and Los Arcos??? I was down to a t-shirt and sunglasses! I’ve seen the photos of Burgos ahead next week so I know there is nasty weather to come but sure am enjoying this spring weather while I can.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. It was a real struggle making the decision to bring the ‘real’ camera and gear this year but decided at least once I had to try it. Will be searching for a new alternative next Camino however...!

Well, I'm very glad you did! Your pictures as so good and add so much. It took me a few days, but I finally figured out how to get onto your blog. :) Really enjoying it all. Safe travels!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A lot of snow on the ground near Avila yesterday. I am just about to start back on the VDLP west of Béjar and I'm hoping I can see the yellow arrows.
Jozero,
I see you have had troubles
Finding water as you go
And then some yellow arrows
Were covered by the snow

May I make a small suggestion
As you walk your Camino
The bars have more than water
And don’t eat the yellow snow ⛄

I love reading this thread! I'm thinking of doing a winter camino in 18/19. As someone said before - please keep feeding us!

Would you believe 11c today between Estella and Los Arcos??? I was down to a t-shirt and sunglasses! .
Just a T-shirt and sunglasses? I know Spain is pretty liberal these days but even so... :) I am about 30km south of Zamora on the VDLP and I was pretty glad of two light fleece tops and a pair of lined winter walking trousers this morning. Just seen the lunchtime news reports of gale force winds hitting the Galician coast. Just shows how variable and regional the weather in Spain can be.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just a T-shirt and sunglasses? I know Spain is pretty liberal these days but even so... :) I am about 30km south of Zamora on the VDLP and I was pretty glad of two light fleece tops and a pair of lined winter walking trousers this morning. Just seen the lunchtime news reports of gale force winds hitting the Galician coast. Just shows how variable and regional the weather in Spain can be.
And how did you get Antediluvian, pray tell, when lesser mortals are various shades of 'member'!!! So many people, at least let me be specific: a fair number of British and Irish people think Spain is all sun, sea and sand. Just look what they are missing...

Jozero, I have just read your account for day 6. I am lost for words. Except, I am reminded of a character in the film 'Jesus of Montreal'. She kept on over enthusing, and all you could see was falseness. I am not being false when I say your words are very moving. Thank you.

And how did you get Antediluvian, pray tell, when lesser mortals are various shades of 'member'!!! So many people, at least let me be specific: a fair number of British and Irish people think Spain is all sun, sea and sand. Just look what they are missing...
I chose 'Antediluvian' myself. Someone who walked her first Camino in 1999? described herself as a "Camino Fossil". So what would that make me? :) 1990 is certainly well before the flood of today's pilgrims! I am Scottish. I used to think Spain was all heat and dust. Then I walked through Galicia and learned the truth.... :)IMG_20180112_091430.jpg PS. The photo was taken in Ávila less than a week ago.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Great pictures; glad you brought your camera! Nice to see familiar landscapes: With you in spirit.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I chose 'Antediluvian' myself. Someone who walked her first Camino in 1999? described herself as a "Camino Fossil". So what would that make me? :) 1990 is certainly well before the flood of today's pilgrims! I am Scottish. I used to think Spain was all heat and dust. Then I walked through Galicia and learned the truth.... :)View attachment 38826 PS. The photo was taken in Ávila less than a week ago.
You are a Scot. A Teuchter or a low lander? You must really have seen great changes as a pilgrim since your first camino... what about a post on that topic? It would surely be fascinating. And ah’m frae...Kirkie! Yesterday I got on a bus in Dublin, where I live, and asked the driver a question. His one line answer told me he was from Dundee (they have a very distinctive sing song tone) and he was astonished at my recognition of the fact!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Beautiful photos and post for your day 7. The mantra you could not escape yesterday, where is it now? Buen Camino, to you and your group.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am reading and LOVING your blog. Seems you are blessed with the westher thus far - may it continue. Photos are exquisite. Thankyou so much for sharing.

I may have to buy shorts in Burgos!p since @Bradypus has intimated a t-shirt alone is not modest enough :cool:
Ignore me - I'm just jealous. Frost and ice on the ground in Zamora this morning. Temperature forecast to stay in single figures all day. I did just pass by a sculpture of Adam and Eve in someone's garden and they were wearing even less than you... :) IMG_20180119_101439.jpg

Beautiful photos and post for your day 7. The mantra you could not escape yesterday, where is it now? Buen Camino, to you and your group.
I have put the setting to simmer... one thing I love about the Camino is the freedom of the subconscious to sort through such things. Today I managed to stay in today’s moment and focus on today’s driving question: I wonder how many bottles of wine La Rioja exports annually? For such a small geographical area there produce tremendous amounts of wine!!

We came across an unfortunate situation yesterday with a Portuguese Pilgrim we had seen the day prior. It seems he has become a bit obsessed with the lady in our group and is making very unwanted attentions on her including waiting for long periods for her alongside the way. Naturally this has made her uncomfortable and a bit scared even. Along with my knee pain, this has convinced us to jump forward to Burgos. I am hopeful this is an overreaction but since we all prefer to walk alone it seems the best way to proceed. Some rest and ice for my knee will be welcomed as will some good food and wine!

We came across an unfortunate situation yesterday with a Portuguese Pilgrim we had seen the day prior. It seems he has become a bit obsessed with the lady in our group and is making very unwanted attentions on her including waiting for long periods for her alongside the way. Naturally this has made her uncomfortable and a bit scared even. Along with my knee pain, this has convinced us to jump forward to Burgos. I am hopeful this is an overreaction but since we all prefer to walk alone it seems the best way to proceed. Some rest and ice for my knee will be welcomed as will some good food and wine!
All the best for both situations

I chose 'Antediluvian' myself. Someone who walked her first Camino in 1999? described herself as a "Camino Fossil". So what would that make me? :) 1990 is certainly well before the flood of today's pilgrims! I am Scottish. I used to think Spain was all heat and dust. Then I walked through Galicia and learned the truth.... :)View attachment 38826 PS. The photo was taken in Ávila less than a week ago.

In my opinion the big contrast between the Meseta and Galicia on the Camino Frances (especially in summer) should have impact for most pilgrims.(but I am not sure:))

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Stalkers happen. Help her ditch him. Lotharios, particularly aging ones, are a bigger danger than flashers. Try bus, delay, or skipping ahead.

The snow has returned and from here to Santiago I suspect there are going to be a bunch more white days. Good thing, I was starting to begrudge carrying my winter woollies in the 15C heat of the Meseta!BE75D942-E5CE-42BF-BF13-5112590F49A9.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

€83,-

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Bumping this thread because of the snow across Europe today. Anyone got any more snowy camino shots to share?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And today...

tiempo-Webcam-Cebreiro--12072_1519801871.jpg

Thank you. It was a real struggle making the decision to bring the ‘real’ camera and gear this year but decided at least once I had to try it. Will be searching for a new alternative next Camino however...!
Jozero, your photos are wonderful indeed. SO glad you took the camera that you did. What factors will influence your decision about which camera to carry next time? Which camera did you end up taking?

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.