• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Snow in Burgos

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
We're not walking the Camino, but driving through on our way down to Lisbon. We left the coast at Irun and drove across country to Pamplona. From Pamplona onto Logrono and then Burgos.

We expected to see some snow as we drove towards Pamplona but the worst weather of the day was driving towards Burgos. I hope there were no pilgrims out walking in the snow storm today!

burgos.jpg orcs1.jpg orcs3.jpg

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Looks like fairyland but I'm sure it does not feel that way. The path through the forest from Villafranca Montes de Oca a day before Burgos has legendary status as being a place of great danger to pilgrims in medieval days.

Ah memories! Here is my blog of February 25, 26, 2006, written in Villafranca re that famous snowstorm ten years ago.

"By the time I trekked 10 k to Villafranca Montes de Oca the Camino was covered with 2 or 3 inches of snow. Walking had become dangerous. After lunch in a truck stop, I went to the municipal albergue. No one was about, but the front door and one dormitory were open. No heat in the radiators, but piles of blankets and a hot plate. Considering the alternative it was great! Mid afternoon I snuggled into my sleeping bag; outside the storm steadily intensified. As night fell the radiators started up. How lucky I was!

About 9 pm. the front door banged open followed by steps up the stairs. Resembling snow-covered yetis, two pilgrims stood at the foot of my bunk! One guy was French, the other Brazilian. We introduced ourselves and shared many cups of hot tea....Early in the morning the Frenchman left. Outside was a winter wonderland. The snow continued to fall. Bundling up for the storm plastic bags over sox served as makeshift gaiters. Outside the snow reached mid-shin. No trail could be seen; only a few markers affixed to trees were apparent. Walking was treacherous. At a road crossing the Brazilian and I were intercepted by the Guarda Civil in a four-wheel drive. Firmly stating that our lives were imperiled the police insisted on us returning to the albergue. ...By mid-morning the next day the storm was over and we went on to Burgos."

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for the update.
Is this kind of weather possible in mid-March near Burgos?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
sounds like a dream Camino :)

yes it is - I have seen thick snow in spring (March) from Roncesvalles to Burgos - but that is rare.

David... I was in around Burgos in late March 2012. Perfect walking weather.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We've moved on to the Via de la Plata today. We meandered our way down in a south westerly fashion from Palencia. We had a really beautiful drive on the little back roads towards Salamanca. We stopped in Toro for lunch and we're staying the night in Salamanca. We've booked a really wonderful little studio (Salamanca Suite Studios) in the old town, around the corner from Cala Mayor... if you're in Salamanca and you want a fabulous place to stay I can 110% recommend this. Comfy bed, fabulous shower and the perfect little kitchen area with kettle, hob, microwave and fridge.

It's been a blamy 5 oC today... but the sky is oh so blue and the sun is shining despite the chill.

Tomorrow we're heading to Lisbon... and the Camino Portuguese.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Enjoy Salamanca! Hope that your new adventure goes well. If you have the time after leaving Lisbon do take time to explore Sintra.

Bom Caminho and, as always,
Ultreia!
MM

Wow... there is something a little bit romantic about a snowy camino... although I suspect the reality is somewhat different :)
I will not be doing the Camino for the snow. We have enough of that here - about 35 cm today! I do hope anyone on the Camino is staying safe and warm...

Thanks LesBrass for some great photos and the accommodation tip for Salamanca.
MM - thanks also - a great story about Villafranca, you were lucky the albergue was open. Love the photo of the younger you!! cheers

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Wonderful photo of you Margaret, not a day younger looking I'm sure! A feast of memories.

LesBrass, I may have missed it - will you be doing the central route, or the coastal route?

(By the way, update on my previous post. As of 5:00 pm we got 46 cm of snow.)

You must count on all kinds of weather on the mountains any time of the year.
My photo is taken April 19, 2012
Cruz de Ferro

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    74.8 KB · Views: 31
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You must count on all kinds of weather on the mountains any time of the year.
My photo is taken April 19, 2012
Cruz de Ferro
Amazing stuff. I was at the cruz in April 2012 as well. Gorgeous blue skies, a bit of white cloud and glorious sunshine. :)

€60,-
Amazing stuff. I was at the cruz in April 2012 as well. Gorgeous blue skies, a bit of white cloud and glorious sunshine. :)

Yes, very amazing! At these levels the weather can change from one minute to another! It is unpredictable really - be prepared for anything.
When I had lunch in Rabanal it all was ok - and on the way to Foncebadon it turned out to a blizzard - a snow storm. I stayed in Fonceadon and collected my forces to be able to continue the following day to the lower levels with no snow. Kind of scary experience.
No cars/ taxis could drive up to Foncebadon that day to pick you up!

Yes, very amazing! At these levels the weather can change from one minute to another! It is unpredictable really - be prepared for anything.
When I had lunch in Rabanal it all was ok - and on the way to Foncebadon it turned out to a blizzard - a snow storm. I stayed in Fonceadon and collected my forces to be able to continue the following day to the lower levels with no snow. Kind of scary experience.
No cars/ taxis could drive up to Foncebadon that day to pick you up!
Must have been something, Annie

We're not walking the Camino, but driving through on our way down to Lisbon. We left the coast at Irun and drove across country to Pamplona. From Pamplona onto Logrono and then Burgos.

We expected to see some snow as we drove towards Pamplona but the worst weather of the day was driving towards Burgos. I hope there were no pilgrims out walking in the snow storm today!

View attachment 24016 View attachment 24017 View attachment 24018
Great photos - Ill be in the Burgos area in about a month's time. I hope it looks a bit different by then, although it's beautiful in your pics.

I have a mundane question. How did you attach your photos so they opened automatically with your post when I opened this thread? The thumbnails which appear under other posts are so tiny I can't see them and they take a while to load. I can see the "Upload a file" button to the right as I write this, but I'd rather see a large pic embedded in a post instead of a tiny thumbnail under a post which I have to click on. (I'm assuming that "Upload file" adds a thumbnail, haven't tried yet.) My photos look so great that I...oops, vanity.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
LesBrass, I may have missed it - will you be doing the central route, or the coastal route?

(By the way, update on my previous post. As of 5:00 pm we got 46 cm of snow.)

Hi C3 - you didn't miss it... it was a holiday but we managed to drive through and cross so many camino paths... because they were literally on our way. We live in France and drove down to Lisbon for some half term sunshine. Going down we drove via Pamplona to Burgos following the Frances, then onto the Via de le Plata and Salamanca. We covered the Portuguese route in Lisbon and Coimbra and then on the way home we stayed in San Sebastian so a little nod to the Norte. Driving though, not walking. :)

But it gave me some time to reflect and I decided that I will try to walk the VdlP in September... and we have a week in August so we're going to drive down to Irun and walk the Norte for a week for training... and then if we can, we'd both like to attempt the Portuguese route in 2017... but maybe try and start way down in the south and walk the Historic Route to Lisbon and then on to Santiago. All just plans at the moment but it's good to have a target :rolleyes:

Great photos - Ill be in the Burgos area in about a month's time. I hope it looks a bit different by then, although it's beautiful in your pics.

I have a mundane question. How did you attach your photos so they opened automatically with your post when I opened this thread? The thumbnails which appear under other posts are so tiny I can't see them and they take a while to load. I can see the "Upload a file" button to the right as I write this, but I'd rather see a large pic embedded in a post instead of a tiny thumbnail under a post which I have to click on. (I'm assuming that "Upload file" adds a thumbnail, haven't tried yet.) My photos look so great that I...oops, vanity.

Buen Camino, - Mike

Hello Mike - There was no snow around Burgos on our way home so fingers crossed spring will be well on the way when you arrive.

When you load the photos there is an option to show them full screen or thumbnails. I think some folks choose thumbnails if the photos are large... they can take a while to load, especially if folks are viewing and downloading on a phone. I show my as full screen but I always try to remember to edit the image and reduce the size beforehand so it's not a problem for folks.

I have had problems viewing the full size image too but I have found that in the black window that opens, if I click on the upwards pointing arrow in the top right hand corner it opens the photo in a new window... and this generally works for me.

I hope this helps... have a great walk!

... and we have a week in August so we're going to drive down to Irun and walk the Norte for a week for training...
Training for the Camino on the Camino - you can't get better than that. There is nothing near those elevations here when we're training!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.