• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow in Santiago

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Woke up today to snow in the air, and some on the ground.

It has been a few years since this happened in Santiag last time. I took a few pictures, will post later once home.

Saludos,
Ivar

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
From a blog:

MADRID - A RARE, heavy snowfall in central Spain closed Madrid's airport and paralysed traffic in the city and several German rivers were frozen over as much of Europe remained in the grip of Siberian conditions on Friday. Up to 10 centimetres of snow accumulated in Madrid as temperatures in the region dropped as low as minus six degrees Celsius. All four runways at Madrid's Barajas airport, Europe's fourth busiest, were closed because of the snowfall and low visibility, Spain's national airport authority AENA said.
The northwestern city of Santiago de Compostela, a destination for thousands of pilgrims, recorded the heaviest snowfall in recent memory on Friday, according to the online edition of daily newspaper El Mundo.
In Germany, the death toll from the cold snap rose to three and several rivers were frozen over, blocking ship traffic, authorities said. Germany is experiencing one of its coldest winters of the past 100 years, with the mercury dropping as low as minus 34.6 C (minus 30.3 F) in the mountains in the south.
Drift ice covered 80 to 90 percent of the surface of the river Elbe from Doemnitz to the Germany's main port of Hamburg in the north, a spokeswoman for the Water and Shipping Office said. Some barges had to be freed late Thursday with industrial ice breakers.
Across the border in France, air, rail and road traffic began to return to normal in the region around the southern port of Marseille after two days of disruptions caused by heavy snow, which had paralysed the city on Thursday.

In Portugal, four people died in a fire apparently caused by a faulty heater in an apartment building in the city of Porto. Temperatures that reached as low as minus six degrees Celsius caused authorities in several Portuguese cities to issue tents to homeless. In the north of the country snow Friday cut several main roads.

One person also died from the cold in Poland during the night, bringing the death toll in the country to 83 since November 1, most of them homeless people.

Here in Moratinos it continues to snow, too, we have maybe three inches on the ground, and more in the forecast. Most people are just tucking into the house and taking it easy. For some reason that includes the innkeepers of Terradillos, who have extended their Christmas vacation well past their posted Jan. 7 re-opening date. As a result we are seeing a good few winter pilgrims here at our place, a lovely assortment of Spanish, Dutch, Korean, and Norwegians.

...And this morning the Norwegian woke up feeling very ill with flu symptoms. In addition to the snow, influenza is now labeled as "epidemic" in parts of Europe, including Catalunya and Asturias here in Spain. I hope this pilgrim just has a tummy bug, as I didn´t get a flu shot this year!

She can stay in bed. I think I will go out and build a snow-pilgrim!

Reb

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Reb said, build a snow-pilgrim!

I want to play!

Gosh I miss the snow so much. I am a Winter kinda guy. I don't like slush, but walking on hard pack...or in powder...especially at night with a full moon....heaven, pure Heaven.

Please pictures, especially of the snow pilgrim.

Buen scallop shell ear muffs Camino,
Arn

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.