• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow in the Pyrenees

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is last week from Canfranc Pueblo in the Spanish Pyrenees on the Camino Aragones. Any time someone asks about walking a winter camino starting in France, they should be referred to these photos so they know what they are getting into!!!

This village is the equivalent of the Roncevalles stop, just the next Valley over from the CF.

Attachments

• EF66646A-9B98-49BC-BDA8-34744A1AFAA2.jpeg
    EF66646A-9B98-49BC-BDA8-34744A1AFAA2.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 36871F1F-AEC6-4C1B-8CC5-DD0AFAC8850C.jpeg
    36871F1F-AEC6-4C1B-8CC5-DD0AFAC8850C.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 137
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I sometimes look at the website of the private weather station of Chalets Pedro. They are about 20 km away from the Ibañeta pass on the Valcarlos route and at the same altitude as the pass. They have not only an image of current weather conditions but, unlike many other sites, also video of the last 24 hours and video summaries of the last month and even the last year. Below is a screenshot of what it looked like a few minutes ago.

Already a few days ago, the First Reponders team of Navarra had to go and pick up a pilgrim on the Valcarlos route who had been exhausted and disoriented and had misjudged his abilities and/or the weather forecast and the conditions on the ground. They found him somewhere near the place called Gainekoleta in the snow (see link to the Bomberos' twitter post)

Iraty webcam.jpg

Last edited:
they should be referred to these photos so they know what they are getting into!!!
Yes absolutely!
Disregard this landscape at your peril. The mountains around Canfranc are a lot higher than where the Francés crosses - you don't even need elevations to jsee this since a cursory look at Google maps shows the much larger area above tree line:
Screenshot_20211202-175833_Maps.jpg
This village is the equivalent of the Roncevalles stop, just the next Valley over from the CF
Well, 70km over, with a few sizeable road crossings in between. ;)

Edit:
@Corned Beef, it's all your fault I just wasted a half hour. 🙃
Windy.com has webcams embedded in its map so you can mouseover a location to see the weather.
I use Windy a lot but had no idea it did this.
Both very useful, and potentially very distracting.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
This is last week from Canfranc Pueblo in the Spanish Pyrenees on the Camino Aragones. Any time someone asks about walking a winter camino starting in France, they should be referred to these photos so they know what they are getting into!!!

This village is the equivalent of the Roncevalles stop, just the next Valley over from the CF.
Actually I am considering starting aragones on the 28th of March. But I wont schedule anything until I have a weather forecast. If there is much snow, it's probably better to make it a spring camino

I sometimes look at the website of the private weather station of Chalets Pedro. They are about 20 km away from the Ibañeta pass on the Valcarlos route and at the same altitude as the pass. They have not only an image of current weather conditions but, unlike many other sites, also video of the last 24 hours and video summaries of the last month and even the last year. Below is a screenshot of what it looked like a few minutes ago.

Already a few days ago, the First Reponders team of Navarra had to go and pick up a pilgrim on the Valcarlos route who had been exhausted and disoriented and had misjudged his abilities and/or the weather forecast and the conditions on the ground. They found him somewhere near the place called Gainekoleta in the snow (see link to the Bomberos' twitter post)

View attachment 114273
I can't find this webcam. I looked on the website you posted. Help?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can't find this webcam. I looked on the website you posted. Help?
Here is the direct link to the Iraty webcam: http://iraty.meteoamikuze.com/Diaporama.html

I think that their link/hosting website changed some time ago which may be the reason why you could not find it, sorry. They can also be found through the Windy weather app. Click on the icon closest to Roncesvalles and then look for "nearest webcams". Some of the snow that fell over night and lay heavily on the branches this morning has already melted by now.

Vacajoe, Are you in Confrac now?
No, our service ended Nov 16th, just before the snow arrived and shut the albergue down a bit earlier than planned. Definitely no one walking over the Somport Pass right now! We hit snow there in April once and also May 1st, so anyone considering it should plan well.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.