• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Snow on the Salvador

Anna Machial

Time of past OR future Camino
When is the snow normally off the higher trails on the Camino del Salvador and the Camino Vadiniense? My travel times need to be from April to the middle of May of next year. I know it varies from year to year but are my times even a possibility?
Thanks for the input. This forum has been extremely helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
When is the snow normally off the higher trails on the Camino del Salvador and the Camino Vadiniense? My travel times need to be from April to the middle of May of next year. I know it varies from year to year but are my times even a possibility?

On the CF last Sept / Oct 2013 observed a young Spanish couple with their child about 2 years old. They seem to manage ok – they had a type of back carriage frame – it seem to work fine – they took turns carrying the child .

A few years ago, I did what you are suggesting. Started in Santander, walked on the Norte to San Vicente de la Barquera, then to Leon on the Lebaniego/Vadiniense, and then back up on the Salvador/Primitivo into Santiago. It has a lot of mountain terrain, and it is wonderful. It was also tough, and I had a bad experience getting lost on the day out of LaFuente. I am glad I persevered but I did wonder what I was doing at one point and thought long and hard about stopping.

I kept a blog in case you are interested: http://caminovadiniense.blogspot.com
And I also have a forum post on these two caminos.
http://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-caminos-lebaniego-and-vadiniense.14649/

So to get to your questions -- There are two places to be on the alert for snow -- one would be from Potes to Portilla de la Reina. The trail from Fuente De in the Picos de Europa involves a 12 km trail, la Senda de Remona, where there is no road nearby. The trail connects two roads, and was at one point going to be paved into a road, but it never happened.

The other place is on the Salvador, the stages between Buiza and Campomanes. I know that people walking in April have found snow, and that it can linger into May.

Good luck with this plan! Buen camino, Laurie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Buen Camino pilgrims! I plan to walk the Del Salvador this summer, followed by the Primitivo, followed by the Portuguese (from Coimbra). What a summer I will have :) I am posting my current...
I will be walking the Norte starting at Bilbao later this month and am considering switching to the San Salvador after I get to Oviedo. I would be walking it in the reverse direction beginning...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back